Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.
Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Updates and chat - United States:
Current Statistics for Each Individual States

Updates and chat - Other Countries:
Stats and Information from Other Countries

Safety Tips and Things to do While Quarantined

Facial Mask Making - Coronavirus
Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine
Recipes to share during Coronavirus quarantine
Health and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine
Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus and testing

Individuals and Companies that have donated to the Coronavirus COVID-19 cause

Memorial Thread - COVID-19 Coronavirus

______

Case details for US and Canada:
COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Case details for the entire world:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 206,893 Cases and 8,272 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Everyone,

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.
PLEASE USE OUR PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS POLITICS IN ANY WAY. YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 20 PEOPLE ON A PRIVATE MESSAGE. LOOK IN THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER. YOU WILL SEE YOUR USER NAME. NEXT TO THAT IS "INBOX". CLICK ON INBOX AND YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM.

OK, not begging now.

I am so impressed with our members posting much-needed info and members helping each other. I swear I sit here and cry happy tears at how incredible you are with this pandemic.

Please join me tonight on Websleuths Live on YouTube at 10:00 PM Eastern. CLICK HERE to join us live. We have a great chat room going on. and I want to personally invite you all to join us. One main rule. If you a jerk in chat or if you start making inflammatory comments about politics or whatever you will be kicked out. Then you will be forced to listen to Donny Osmonds "Puppy Love" for 30 days. So please behave.
See you tonight.
Love,
Tricia
PS. I actually love Donny Osmond. Very talented, a great businessman and fantastic human being, but, Puppy Love is painful. LOL

Please remember ...

No blatantly political posts.
Do not be rude or argumentative.
Do not discuss other members or enquire as to their whereabouts. Members are entitled to their privacy.

Do not discuss moderators, moderation, or removed posts. Doing so can result in a temporary or permanent ban from Websleuths.

If you state information as fact, you must provide a link to support that fact. No link, no post !!

Members may copy their own posts from the general discussion thread over to relevant, more local threads in other appropriate Covid-19 sub-forums. If you think someone else's post relates specifically to another thread within the forum, please use the Report feature to let Mods/Admins know and we will move it on over for you.

If you wish to start a new thread, please run it by a Mod or Admin for approval.

Stay safe, healthy, strong and be kind to others.

MOD REMINDER:

THERE ARE A NUMBER OF SPECIFIC SUB-FORUMS THAT HAVE BEEN CREATED TO DISCUSS THE MANY ASPECTS OF THIS EXTRAORDINARY TIME. PLEASE TRY TO KEEP YOUR POSTS ABOUT SPECIFIC TOPICS IN THOSE SUB-FORUMS TO ALLOW THOSE INTERESTED IN THOSE TOPICS TO SEE YOUR POSTS. POSTING THEM IN THIS MAIN THREAD MAKES IT MORE DIFFICULT TO FIND THEM AND CAN VEER THE MAIN THREAD A BIT SIDEWAYS. THANKS FOR TRYING YOUR BEST TO KEEP US ON TRACK!

BELOW ARE SOME QUICK LINKS, BUT THEY ARE EASY TO FIND UNDER THE MAIN COVID HEADING ABOUT SAFETY TIPS AND THINGS TO DO WHILE QUARANTINED:

VEGETABLE GARDENS

QUARANTINE RECIPES
GROCERY SHOPPING
HEALTH & SAFETY TIPS
MAKING YOUR OWN HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS
FACE MASKS FOR PROTECTION
HOMESCHOOLING
SMILES CAFE

Faithfully,
CocoChanel

Permanent thread bans have been and will be issued for members who persist in trying to make the thread about politics.

In case you have not read the opening posts above, please etch this part of Tricia's post above in your memory:

NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT

upload_2020-5-8_7-39-39.png

This interactive chart allows you to explore data about the pandemic to better understand the disease’s spread and trajectory in countries around the world. Click here to use the FT’s interactive tool.
Italy became the country hardest hit by Covid-19 after China as the pandemic shifted to Europe. After weeks of strict lockdown, Italy has turned the corner and the rate of deaths is beginning to decrease.

The same appears true of several other western countries, while in Australia an early lockdown has kept daily death tolls from ever reaching double digits.

Many places, though, are still seeing accelerating death tolls. Foremost among these are emerging market countries such as Brazil, Russiaand India, where daily fatalities are on an upward trend.
Coronavirus tracked: the latest figures as countries fight to contain the pandemic | Free to read

Frontline workers gathered in front of the White House and placed 88 pairs of empty shoes on the ground –– one pair for the life of each nurse they say has been lost due inadequate personal protective equipment while fighting the coronavirus.

31fc64a1-5ce1-4a0e-80e2-ea2bf5917d00.jpg

Last edited:
Rollout of antibody tests met with confusion and little oversight

Public health experts, including members of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, have argued accurate Covid-19 antibody tests can support efforts to get Americans back to work by determining who may have overcome the virus.

But the rollout of millions of antibody tests in the US has created frustration and division among state health departments due to a mix of questionable tests, shifting federal rules and a hodgepodge of different methods for tracking results.

While the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has launched a strategy to use antibody tests for surveys that study the spread of the virus in different locations and populations, the federal government has not coordinated an effort to track the raw data of antibody tests performed in all states.

Instead, the Trump administration has instructed states to develop their own testing plans, and now states are split on what to do with antibody tests.

US coronavirus update: Latest on cases, deaths and reopening

Germany doubts US claims of China virus lab leak: report

A German intelligence report casts doubts on US allegations that COVID-19 originated in a Chinese laboratory, Der Spiegel magazine reported.

An internal memo prepared for Defence Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer "classifies the American claims as a calculated attempt to distract" from Washington's own failings, Der Spiegel reported.

US President Donald Trump is attempting "to distract from his own mistakes and direct Americans' anger at China", Spiegel cited from the document.

Coronavirus sparked 'tsunami of hate, xenophobia': Live updates

"The U.S. economy lost a staggering 20.5 million jobs in April, the steepest plunge in payrolls since the Great Depression and the starkest sign yet of how the novel coronavirus pandemic is battering the world’s biggest economy."

Coronavirus deals U.S. job losses of 20.5 million, historic unemployment rate in April

What makes no sense to me is the stock market performance is going up and even Buffet ?? is saying is way overpriced at this time.

I'm no financial genius, but I'm surprised it's going back up.

Public health experts, including members of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, have argued accurate Covid-19 antibody tests can support efforts to get Americans back to work by determining who may have overcome the virus.

But the rollout of millions of antibody tests in the US has created frustration and division among state health departments due to a mix of questionable tests, shifting federal rules and a hodgepodge of different methods for tracking results.

While the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has launched a strategy to use antibody tests for surveys that study the spread of the virus in different locations and populations, the federal government has not coordinated an effort to track the raw data of antibody tests performed in all states.

Instead, the Trump administration has instructed states to develop their own testing plans, and now states are split on what to do with antibody tests.

This aligns with my greatest fear is the oversight (lack of) with a potential vaccine, and going with one who has not proven to be the best, but one which has "interests" of some... a la cloriquine/hydroxycloroquine and Remdisivir (3 days shorter hospitalization/no difference in deaths yet being pushed? That to me is so wrong on so many levels to "settle" for such MOO).

I've never thought of before, but are flu shots (done by so many different manufacturers using different methods and different "targets" for the antibodies and are also so varying) just a varying as to their % effectiveness, or is there a "standard" that must be met for all? IIRC, WHO said they would be having a standard for all countries, but I've not seen such updates.

Anybody here know answer to such re flu vaccines to give a baseline as to expectations on what FDA will allow (assume they are ones to approve)

Last edited:
What makes no sense to me is the stock market performance is going up and even Buffet ?? is saying is way overpriced at this time.

I'm no financial genius, but I'm surprised it's going back up.

It is going up, because people were buying, because the prices of stocks were down, and some companies were undervalued because of the trend. However, a lot of stocks now are overvalued, airlines, oil, even some health care companies.

This is a rodeo. People who have money to gamble, throw in your hat. People who have investments to live on, just hold on tight. We are invested in a fully diversified fund. The safest option for retirees. Not as much of a risk, not much gain, a bit of a loss, it will stay steady.

I believe (JMO) that we will see a 2nd dip, in job losses, and profit. And 2nd wave of virus.

Great-grandmother, 105, beats coronavirus, gears up for next birthday

A 105-year-old woman who was diagnosed with the novel coronavirus three weeks ago is gearing up to celebrate her next birthday in early June after beating the virus. Marie Ferise, who lives at Homestead Health Care and Rehabilitation Center in northern New Jersey, is also a cancer survivor, Fox 13 reported.

Ferise, who didn’t know she had the virus until she tested positive for COVID-19, joked with staff that for her birthday she wanted to take her mask off to celebrate.

I realize we tend to skew older here in the WS population, however I am wondering if anyone who has children in school learning from home right now has noticed if their kids are not as interested in video games/handheld devices after logging on and staring at screens all day for their lessons?

I had been wondering about how nursing (and any other workers) were recruited to NY - I assume most don't just hop on buses after hearing our governor's less-than-melodious voice ask for help. There is a Kansas-based firm, Krucial Staffing, that did a lot of recruitment - this is a nice article about the decision-making process for one young nurse. (San Antonio Express news)
San Antonio nurse joins coronavirus fight in New York

On Friday, Gonzales signed on with Krucial Staffing, an agency that places medical professionals in emergency and disaster situations, and on Monday morning she flew from San Antonio to New York on a one-way ticket. She will be paid about $10,000 a week — after taxes, more like $6,000, she said — assigned to a hospital for 21 straight days of 12-hour shifts, at which point her time could get extended.

The pay isn’t the main motivator, Gonzales said.

“I feel like I’m meant to do this and God is going to put me where I need to be,” she said. “I’m at peace now.”

Krucial is being sued by 3 AL nurses (in the article <modsnip>). I wonder if they notified prospective staff about NY tax laws. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:

I am not sure there are any reliable antibody tests anywhere yet AFAIK. Too early and too many strains plus uncertainty whether asymptomatics even have any antibodies. MOO.

ETA I looked a little further and WHO actually stated there are no reliable antibody tests according to this article.

Antibody test 'ready for production by June'

"A reliable coronavirus antibody test could be ready for mass production by June, according to a firm in the south Wales valleys involved in the project.

BBI Solutions in Crumlin is part of a consortium working with Oxford University to create the test.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has described antibody tests - which check whether someone has had Covid-19 - as a potential "game changer".

But the World Health Organization (WHO) has questioned their reliability.

It has said there was "no evidence" they show whether an individual "has immunity or is protected from reinfection".

Antibody tests look for immunity signs by examining blood drops.

So far no home test has proved reliable.

The UK Government has said "an unreliable test is worse than no test". "

Last edited:
Germany doubts US claims of China virus lab leak: report

A German intelligence report casts doubts on US allegations that COVID-19 originated in a Chinese laboratory, Der Spiegel magazine reported.

An internal memo prepared for Defence Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer "classifies the American claims as a calculated attempt to distract" from Washington's own failings, Der Spiegel reported.

US President Donald Trump is attempting "to distract from his own mistakes and direct Americans' anger at China", Spiegel cited from the document.

Coronavirus sparked 'tsunami of hate, xenophobia': Live updates

Whatever happens, we have to find the origin otherwise it can just happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli