Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does obesity increase the risk of coronavirus?

This report explains why certain people are at risk of dying of coronavirus. Very interesting. Some I knew already some I didn't.

"Given high rates of global obesity, the World Obesity Federation says a high percentage of people who contract coronavirus "will also have a BMI over 25". Early studies from the US, Italy and China also suggest it is an important risk factor.

Ageing, being a man and underlying health issues all increase the risk of becoming more seriously ill from Covid-19.

Why is being obese a risk?
The more overweight you are, the more fat you're carrying, the less fit you are and the lower your lung capacity. This means it is a bigger struggle to get oxygen into the blood and around the body. This impacts on the heart and blood flow too.

"Because people are more overweight, they also have a demand for more oxygen. So that means their system is actually undergoing greater pressure," says Prof Naveed Sattar, from the University of Glasgow.

During an infection like coronavirus, this can be serious.

"Eventually the obese body becomes overwhelmed by the lack of oxygen getting to the major organs," says Dr Dyan Sellayah, from the University of Reading.

That is one reason why overweight and obese people in intensive care are more likely to need assistance with breathing and support with kidney function.

What role do fat cells play?
Scientists have discovered that an enzyme called ACE2, present in cells, is the main way for the virus to enter the body.

Higher levels of this molecule are thought to be found in adipose tissue, or fatty tissue, which people who are obese have more of - under the skin and around their organs.

That could be one reason they have a higher risk of catching the disease and a higher risk of being ill with it.

Is the immune system affected too?
On top of everything else, the ability of the body to fight off the virus - known as the immune response - is not as good in people who are obese.

That's due to inflammation driven by immune cells called macrophages which invade our fat tissue. They interfere with how our cells respond to infection.

According to scientists, this can lead to a 'cytokine storm' - a potentially life-threatening over-reaction of the body's immune system which causes inflammation and serious harm.

A specific type of fat tissue is prone to macrophage invasion. This may explain why people from black, African and ethnic minority backgrounds (BAME), who have more of this type of tissue, "have elevated rates of diabetes, and may be more vulnerable to the virus," Dr Sellayah says.

"Given high rates of global obesity, the World Obesity Federation says a high percentage of people who contract coronavirus "will also have a BMI over 25".
Snipped and bolded by me.

Interesting! BMI over 25 is not necessarily obese, but at the low end of "overweight." That means even people with some extra pounds are at greater risk.
  • Underweight: BMI is less than 18.5
  • Normal weight: BMI is 18.5 to 24.9
  • Overweight: BMI is 25 to 29.9
  • Obese: BMI is 30 or more
Normal weight ranges: Body mass index (BMI)

There is a chart at the link to find your BMI or other calculators can be found by googling.

Let's get up off the couch! :)

jmo

Interesting! BMI over 25 is not necessarily obese, but at the low end of "overweight." That means even people with some extra pounds are at greater risk.

There is a chart at the link to find your BMI or other calculators can be found by googling.

jmo
A good reminder for all of us to eat healthier and exercise.

There was a saying I heard when I first got into healthcare, “There are fat people and there are old people, but there are no fat old people.”

jmo
So a black aging male with BMI over 25 would appear to be the most at risk according to the article.

I have not been in that left hand section of the charts for 30 years or more :-(

Now I can exercise twice a day if I like so that's good.

'Modest' changes announced to lockdown in Wales

Last edited:
A good reminder for all of us to eat healthier and exercise.
snipped

I agree - it's such an opportunity handed to us and something we could do together as a nation. We don't need to be star athletes sweating through workouts to push our endurance, but just move our bodies more, starting wherever we are, in whatever condition.

I'd love to see that happen on a national, uplifting, even patriotic level. Doubt it will, though. But, everyone can do this on their own - yeah!

jmo

White House economic adviser predicts next jobs report will have higher unemployment numbers

Kevin Hassett, senior economic adviser to President Trump, said that the worst is yet to come for unemployment numbers. He expects the unemployment rate to reach a high of 25% in next month’s jobs report.

“If you add the initial claims that have come in after the survey week of the 12th, you're looking at well more than 30 million people that have had their lives really upended by this shutdown; and so I think that already, just looking at the claims we had since they did the survey that the data comes from, we’ve probably added about another 4% or 5% to the unemployment rate. And so probably the next number will be a little bit higher than this.”

I realize we tend to skew older here in the WS population, however I am wondering if anyone who has children in school learning from home right now has noticed if their kids are not as interested in video games/handheld devices after logging on and staring at screens all day for their lessons?

In a word, no. This whole thing has been horrible for kids, imo. They are bored out of their minds and looking for anything to fill the empty days. jmo

@JerseyGirl is correct, there will be higher numbers for unemployment claims, because some states, Florida, is one, that the system couldn't handle all of the claims.

So, not everyone who is unemployed has actually even been able to file a claim yet. Those will be backdated.

Next week is when CARES is enabled for 1099, gig workers. I read the law, much fewer people will be eligible than the 1099 people think. And the claims will require a lot of supporting evidence for eligibility.
Unemployment Insurance Relief During COVID-19 Outbreak | U.S. Department of Labor

In a word, no. This whole thing has been horrible for kids, imo. They are bored out of their minds and looking for anything to fill the empty days. jmo
I think for those who can afford it, it would be nice to purchase a gift card from a drive thru restaurant for enough for younger families to get out of the house and get a break. The stress and pressure on single parents especially has to be enormous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14