Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vermont loosens some restrictions, but leaves stay-at-home order in place

Vermont is now allowing small gatherings of up to 10 people, even though the state's stay-at-home order is still in place.

Vermont residents are “no longer being asked to limit outings to within 10 miles of their homes.

In addition, business facilities and organizations that support or are for outdoor recreation and fitness activities that require low or no direct contact can return to operation."

May 8: 12 more COVID-19 deaths in Iowa, 398 new cases 398 new confirmed cases (results from yesterday May 7 midnight to 11:59 p.m.) and 12 more have passed away. We now have 11,457 confirmed cases (4,685 have recovered) and 243 have passed away.
Pence staffer tests positive for COVID-19 Well, I'm guessing Governor Reynolds has already been and will be exposed to the virus. IMO-yesterday in her press conference a reporter did ask why she was not self quaranting for 2 weeks since she was to Washington DC on Wed. I don't remember what she said about that though.

Idle musing - I really wonder how many people will not go along , cooperate, or willingly participate in Virus Contact Tracing ?...... This may end up being an interesting subject to observe in the near future........moo

One of my many gripes about the media- and the incessant desire to publish doom. It is by design.

FiveThirtyEight editor Nate Silver said the mainstream media is not giving proper context to stories on the rise of coronavirus cases, which he calls a “basic error” that reveals an agenda to prioritize narratives that “sound smart” over accuracy and truth.

Silver was bothered that certain stories failed to mention that some growth in the coronavirus infection number is a result of an increase in testing.

“Not providing context on the increase in testing is such a basic error, and has been so widespread, that it's revealing about the media's goals. It's more interested in telling plausibly-true stories ("narratives") that sound smart to its audience than in accuracy/truth per se,” Silver said in response to author James Surowiecki calling out recent reports from Axios and The New York Times.

Nate Silver: 'Basic error' on coronavirus stories reveal media’s true goals

I have been keeping note of our weekly UK deaths to watch if the percentage increases fall and these figures are from my diary notes.

*lockdown began

Date total deaths weekly inc %
13Mar 13 -
20Mar 177 394%
27Mar * 759 321%
3Apr 3605 374%
10Apr 8931 150%
17Apr 14576 63%
24Apr 19506 34%
1May 27500 40%
8May 31241 14%

Sorry about spacing it looked fine when I posted it. Hopefully you can still see how lockdown has reduced our percentages. Without that it could have looked like this.

?

MOO

Last edited:
Case study #473 on the economic impact of the decisions made by government officials. "Overrun" hospitals continue to downsize...

BOSTON (AP) — A Massachusetts hospital group announced that it is furloughing about 600 workers, or 10% of its labor force, because of “historic” financial losses caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Cape Cod Healthcare, the parent company of Cape Cod and Falmouth hospitals, faces a $74 million loss this fiscal year, President and CEO Michael Lauf said Thursday.

Physicians, nurses, technicians, aides, parking lot attendants and other positions were affected, he said.

In addition to the furloughs that take effect Sunday, management and executives are taking salary cuts of up to 12.5%, Lauf said.

In a statement, Shannon Sherman, chair of the Massachusetts Nurses Association bargaining unit at Cape Cod Hospital, called it a “callous and short-sighted decision, which we believe will place all of our patients in jeopardy and have dangerous consequences for the remaining staff, who are already exhausted from working under what has been the most trying time for health care workers.”

Mass. hospital group announces that it is furloughing about 600 workers | Boston.com

Idle Musing - What would this Virus Crisis would have been like for all of us without the Internet ? Just the TV, radio, newspapers, and "word of mouth" for info, rumors, and instructions/suggestions/ facts? from our State Authorities ?........... moo

One of the first things I did after 9/11 was go to the library to check out books about the nations I was hearing about on the news that were unfamiliar to me. I even made a map and took notes! We had the internet then, but I was still in the library-mode for research.

Now, I can do all of that kind of stuff on the internet....and the libraries are closed now anyway. (boohoo...I miss them!)

I've always been a radio junkie so I'd likely be listening to radio coverage of COVID, but I have barely turned it on the during lockdown....I'm just now getting back into the habit of listening to my favorite programs.

This would definitely be a different experience without the internet.

jmo

Last edited:
I have been keeping note of our weekly UK deaths to watch if the percentage increases fall and these figures are from my diary notes.

*lockdown began

Date total deaths weekly inc %
13Mar 13 -
20Mar 177 394%
27Mar * 759 321%
3Apr 3605 374%
10Apr 8931 150%
17Apr 14576 63%
24Apr 19506 34%
1May 27500 40%
8May 31241 14%

Sorry about spacing it looked fine when I posted it. Hopefully you can still see how lockdown has reduced our percentages. Without that it could have looked like this.

?
Wow. These two sets of numbers tell a story, don't they!

jmo

New York now has 73 cases of children presenting with a new pediatric multi-system inflammatory syndrome likely linked to COVID-19 -- and at least one child has died of the illness, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Friday.

NBC 4 will hold a Facebook Live chat Friday, May 8, at 1 p.m. ET with Dr. Steven Kernie, chief of pediatric critical care medicine at Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital, on the new inflammatory illness in kids with COVID-19. Watch that live event below. (Click on the speaker icon for sound.)

73 NY Children Sick With Rare COVID-Related Inflammatory Illness, 1 Death Confirmed

Last edited:
Wow. These two sets of numbers tell a story, don't they!

jmo

That's what I thought so I encourage everyone to keep a record of your own state or country figures to see how your governments are dealing with it. Also seeing how lives can be saved makes the lockdown more bearable I think. Still terrible the lives lost but I believe governments are doing what they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi8773