Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was beautiful and I was able to get out and walk longer than I had been in recent weeks. Only about 3 miles but boy, it felt good!

While I was out my friend in the county Health Department and I were texting. My county (Jefferson, Washington State) hasn't had a new case or death in weeks. She attended a virtual meeting yesterday to discuss moving to Phase 2. They're thinking more along the lines of a partial Phase Two.

My friend said the issue is whether being the first county on the west side in close proximity to Seattle and other urban counties where the virus is still circulating will cause people to flock here and bring the virus with them.

I thought that was an interesting concern. On the one hand it would help the local businesses but on the other hand it could throw all of us residents into a high risk situation. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

Hopefully I'll hear more on Monday.

I have worked full time for many many many decades and I don't mind working. For many of the decades I worked 12 hour days. I loved work and I was good at what I did. I got my self importance from work. I am scared too death of going back to the office - it will be soon - things are beginning to re-open - but I will have to go. I need the health insurance. Weird have to go to work at the office for health insurance and risking my health. The one good thing is that I have an office that has a door.

What is very odd, is that we are absolutely conditioned to go to work, and sludge through the day, while sick. I was feeling sick this week, and it never crossed my mind that I could have Covid-19. I just powered thru the headache, chills, general malaise.

Finally, decided to go home. This was a reaction to a vaccine I had been given earlier in the week. But the medical center wanted me to come in for a Covid19 test!

So, people, even now, ignore flu symptoms, and go to work. Because we have somehow been convinced that taking a sick day is a sign of weakness. That is a mentality that we need to change.

This is from Minnesota. Fifty-five (55) have died, that's one (1) in five (5) at a nursing home. 147 of 258 tested positive. Governor Walz yesterday addressed a 5 point plan to help nursing facilities.

Death toll climbs to 55 at New Hope nursing home hard hit by coronavirus

The nursing home that my mother is in called me today to give me an update. So far nobody at the nursing home has the virus. They still do not know when visitors will be allowed. I was relieved to hear no visitors will be allowed for a while. Of course, I know that today no one had the virus, but tomorrow things may change.

Since it has been since January since I had my hair 'done', I cannot bear to hear my husband complain about my expensive hair appointments. So going on the cheap this weekend and it may end up being a horror show.

We actually did the drug store color on me for the first time ever and it wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. My dd did it for me, though. I don't think I'd trust myself to do it.

Since it has been since January since I had my hair 'done', I cannot bear to hear my husband complain about my expensive hair appointments. So going on the cheap this weekend and it may end up being a horror show.
And if it ends badly he may have your Stylist on speed dial lol. Remind him your not spending money on anything else right now.

Will our California based Bistro restaurant survive Covit-19?
Nope.

<modsnip: removed political commentary>

This combination is something we cannot overcome, no matter how many hours we work, or how many of our customers love us, or, the great reviews we get on social media will not be enough for us to stay in business OR continue to live in the very expensive State of California.
So, new huge chapter coming up for us. We have to walk away, and start over.
*everything I've written here is my sole opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
And if it ends badly he may have your Stylist on speed dial lol. Remind him your not spending money on anything else right now.

You made me laugh Bravo. He complains every time I spend money on my appearance - clothes, make-up, hair, etc. In his family the women are all natural - no make-up, cut their own hair, wear the same clothes for 20 years and have 2 pairs of shoes. My parents never had money when I was a kid but my mother always dressed nicely (she made all her own clothes and my clothes), styled her hair (sleeping in curlers) and put on her make-up. I learned from my mother to care about my appearance except for the past 7 weeks -

Last edited:
You made me laugh Bravo. He complains every time I spend money on my appearance - clothes, make-up, hair, etc. In his family the women are all natural - no make-up, cut their own hair, wear the same clothes for 20 years and have 2 pairs of shoes. My parents never had money when I was a kid but my mother always dressed nicely (she made all her own clothes and my clothes), styled her hair (sleeping in curlers) and put on her make-up. I learned from my mother to care about my appearance except for the pass 7 weeks -
Convince him you do it all for him. Ethical lie lol

Trending on Google is "coronavirus mutation." In one study, scientists from the U.S. and U.K. collaborated to see how COVID-19 mutation named "D614G" could cause problems.

"A lot of times patients can present the same way, sometimes they present with slightly different symptoms," Dr. Criner said.

BBC news reports D614G "is becoming dominant and could make the disease more infectious." Researchers compared the virus' genetic make-up inside patients to find changes. D614G did stand out.

"The mutation itself is not surprising, we do expect viruses to mutate," said Dr. Criner.

While not surprising, researchers were worried that D614G had the potential to become *more* infectious, but there's not enough research to draw conclusions. Also to be noted, they studied a narrow group of close to 500 COVID-19 patients in Sheffield, England. The understanding of the virus and how it adapts changes by the minute.

"We want to make sure that we are keeping abreast of what the changes may be in symptoms and presentation," Dr. Criner said.
What is ‘coronavirus mutation’ and should you be concerned?

Will our California based Bistro restaurant survive Covit-19?
Nope.

<modsnip: removed political commentary>

This combination is something we cannot overcome, no matter how many hours we work, or how many of our customers love us, or, the great reviews we get on social media will not be enough for us to stay in business OR continue to live in the very expensive State of California.
So, new huge chapter coming up for us. We have to walk away, and start over.
*everything I've written here is my sole opinion.

Sorry to hear that, Kali. But I think getting out of California is the absolute right decision. Wishing you the best.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

KALI, where do you think you and the Mr. will move? Almost anyplace should have a lower cost of living than Cali. I am trying my best to get my son to move from D.C., being laid off because of the virus and he rents a room that is the size of one of my bedrooms and his rent is more than my mortgage.

KALI, wherever you and the Mr. settle, I feel like you will make the best of it. We are here for you.

Today was beautiful and I was able to get out and walk longer than I had been in recent weeks. Only about 3 miles but boy, it felt good!

While I was out my friend in the county Health Department and I were texting. My county (Jefferson, Washington State) hasn't had a new case or death in weeks. She attended a virtual meeting yesterday to discuss moving to Phase 2. They're thinking more along the lines of a partial Phase Two.

My friend said the issue is whether being the first county on the west side in close proximity to Seattle and other urban counties where the virus is still circulating will cause people to flock here and bring the virus with them.

I thought that was an interesting concern. On the one hand it would help the local businesses but on the other hand it could throw all of us residents into a high risk situation. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

Hopefully I'll hear more on Monday.

It is an interesting concern. At one point, my county's disaster plan had a "what if we have to close the county to people from other counties" portion to it (not easy to do actually). Not sure if we still have had an active disaster planning council, as right now, each bit of the governmental world seems to be answering to Sacramento on its own, rather than speaking to each other.

I really hadn't thought about how a "clean" county would become an attractant to others. How far away is the next largish town?

I don't think it will change your risk to "high," but it will be increased from "nearly zero" for sure. IMO.

Thank you and absolutely true.

I am so sorry. And glad that you see the handwriting on the wall. I know several small businesses that folded, and several that are determined to power through.

I saw a cartoon on Facebook, that was so impossibly tragic.
Unemployment recipients had wheelbarrows of cash. Essential Workers were tied to cash registers at work. And Small Business Owners were in flames.

So true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member