Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
seems redundant
why didn't they just assign the cops to watch the playgrounds?
Well, there are literally hundreds of playgrounds in my city, for one reason. I live in a hotspot and social distancing has community support.

I was happy to see the kids enjoying the outdoors, not lamenting they weren't on the playground equipment.

jmo

Got my test results back early this afternoon--NEG. That was fast, and I live in a small rural area in VA. Now, what is going on with me? Though I don't have the cough or breathing issues, I have several of the other symptoms and they came on so quickly. Like a virus does. My Dr. says I still need to isolate 10 days from the start of the symptoms, then 3 days symptom-free.
I wonder if your doctor does not entirely trust the tests, then.

Thanks so much. It will give me some time to phase out mentally to retirement. A job I have loved for well over 30 yrs. So come fall I will be done. Unless there is another exposure then that's it for me. I feel confident I can do it safely but mentally I don't want to go thru it again. I think what kept me sane was the fact that I was on day 7 since exposure when I found out.

I'm kind of in the same space. Same job for 31 years, teaching for 42 years. It's probably time. It's weird because retirement will be a lot like right now, in many ways (staying home).

Fortunately, I can continue to teach at the college (online) for at least 3 more years after that. My plan had been to travel, saved up for it, but am now thinking that won't happen (overseas travel) nor am I confident about my financial future. So...I'll at least go back for one more semester and sidle up to the economists and see what they're worried about.

I temporarily disconnected doorbells. Have sign over door bell that reads: "Can Not Come to Door Now. Feel Free to Phone".

You are so much nicer than me. I had mine disconnected for years and just left it that way with no note. I’m sure people stood there waiting. Now we have no door bell. I’m not coming to the door unless you have called or texted.

The US blocked a call for a worldwide cessation of hostilities in conflict zones so governments can address the pandemic.

Are you saying that many Americans are OK with that, and that blocking the resolution is just what the American people would want? I don't believe that. Why not just abstain and let the rest of the nations move forward in their attempt to care for people in conflict zones?

This isn't a game of marbles.

Frankly, it's something even Russia would probably not block. I guess it's because the letters WHO are involved and "we" don't like them right now. Very very short sighted.

I'd hate to think it's because "we" want to continue selling certain American goods around the world. It's hard to know, as there's so little transparency in these matters. It's a big departure from prior foreign policy though.

You are so much nicer than me. I had mine disconnected for years and just left it that way with no note. I’m sure people stood there waiting. Now we have no door bell. I’m not coming to the door unless you have called or texted.

We've been that way for years too. Tried to talk my dad into the same thing (in his 90's he got pretty wobbly and would always hurry to the door - one of the few things he could hear). He wasn't having that. He could see any of his neighbors coming across his front yard in any case - he didn't need it.

We have two of the fluffy creatures pictured in my avatar to alert us, and we're now trying to "disconnect" them, too.

I'm kind of in the same space. Same job for 31 years, teaching for 42 years. It's probably time. It's weird because retirement will be a lot like right now, in many ways (staying home).

Fortunately, I can continue to teach at the college (online) for at least 3 more years after that. My plan had been to travel, saved up for it, but am now thinking that won't happen (overseas travel) nor am I confident about my financial future. So...I'll at least go back for one more semester and sidle up to the economists and see what they're worried about.
I hear you. It feels a bit forced in a way but I had been thinking about it for a few years. Wondering what will be the right time. Shoving it to the back of my mind assuming I will know when I know. Then "this" happens. So now I know lol

When the pandemic first started, TX was giving info by zip code. No more. No idea why, but I certainly would like to know what areas to avoid. Not asking for specific homes/addresses, just what cities. The names of nursing facilities in my area that have the virus are given. Why not info about specific zip codes?
Our county health department will only name the town positives are in if there are more than 5. So we don’t have any idea where some of them are.

Keeping an eye on reopening statistics in the US:

24 hour period with results from May 7-8 shows that the US has 2,252 deaths in one day, up 3% from the day before. That's quite a bit up. Getting under 1% would be good.

That's about 15,000 deaths in the next week (or more, if we keep inching up).

That would be 85,000 deaths by mid-May. I had predicted/hoped optimistically that by end of May, we'd be around 96,000-100,000 deaths, but it looks like we will exceed that. Even if the rate drops to 1500 a day, we've got 20 days or so to go in May.

No signs of slowing down as it warms up, but it's going to warm up more and perhaps that will help. No one knows for sure.
I think if you can see it fall below 1000 per day it would be an encouraging sign.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/health/childhood-vaccines-cdc-covid-wellness/index.html
The decline began the week after the national emergency declaration; similar declines in orders for other vaccines were also observed," the CDC's Dr. Jeanne Santoli and colleagues reported. "As social distancing requirements are relaxed, children who are not protected by vaccines will be more vulnerable to diseases such as measles."

The Washington State Department of Health said providers in the state vaccine program had reported they gave out 30% fewer vaccines in March of this year compared to previous years. "In April, preliminarily, we are seeing a 42% decrease," the department said in a statement.

"Immunizing infants, children and adolescents is important, and should not be delayed," Dr. Sally Goza, president of the AAP, said in a statement.

"I'm also concerned that children who have missed vaccines, have also missed other health care that occurs during those visits, including physical exams, developmental screenings, and other important care that should not be delayed," she said.

Pediatricians should identify children who have missed well-child visits and/or recommended vaccinations and contact them to schedule in person appointments inclusive of newborns, infants, children, and adolescents," the AAP said.

"Pediatricians should work with families to bring children up to date as quickly as possible."

The CDC recommends that children get 14 different vaccinations protecting against 19 different pathogens. Timing is important for many of the vaccines to create the strongest immunity.

The American Heart Association has expressed concern that Americans in general are afraid to visit clinics, including emergency clinics, for fear of catching the coronavirus or because they worry about overburdening the system.

Don’t Delay Your Child’s Vaccines, Check-Ups Because of Coronavirus, Pediatricians Say
The American Academy of Pediatrics has noted a drop in well-child visits since the onset of the pandemic. These visits are vital, especially for infants, to ensure that children receive the immunizations they need at the proper age, said Dr. Howard Smart, Chairman of Pediatrics at Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Group.

“We need to get those vaccines done on time and we are trying to make it as absolutely as safe as possible," Smart said. "We want everybody to know its OK to come to the doctor for your checkups."

"We give the immunizations at a certain age for a reason and it really can’t be delayed,” Smart said.

If a child is infected with COVID-19, the likelihood of that developing into a severe case of the disease is rare, Smart said. Most children recover well from the disease.

Smart said if parents are doing their part to maintain social distance, wear a mask and wash their hands, "then you’re doing everything we are asking you to do."

Pediatricians warn: Don't skip your child's vaccines during COVID-19
The American Academy of Pediatrics, reporting visits have dropped 70-80% since the start of the pandemic. Here in Michigan, by mid-April, vaccination rates in kids under two down by more than 15%. It's estimated that by the end of May, rates will decrease by 30% for infants and 70% for teenagers.

"Vaccination protects children from serious illness and complications from vaccine preventable diseases," said Dr. Shaheen Sheikh, a pediatrician with Hamilton Community Health Network's Burton Clinic.

"These diseases can be life threatening to children and leave very devastating complications such as blood stream infections, pneumonia, neurological complications and hearing loss," said Dr. Gayatri Shanker, a pediatrician in Saginaw. "So we would not want to have unwanted side effect or complication because of trying to be safe from the Coronavirus. It could be even worse."

"When most of the kids get vaccinated we have the herd immunity, which protects the kids even who have not got vaccinated, which may be a small minority. But as the non-vaccinated increase, our herd immunity goes down," said Sheikh.

"Parents should think that this is an essential service for our kids," said Sheikh. "It is so important for our kids to get vaccinated and get protected from these deadly diseases. We don’t want COVID to be a distractor, and we don’t want these deadly diseases coming back and affecting our kids later on in their life."

"The year we had H1N1 like a surge in cases, that year we had more people come in and get vaccinated," said Shanker. "I think there may be a new interest, or commitment getting these vaccinations as people see how it realistically gets out there in the communities." bbm

To see the safety guidance for pediatricians from the American Academy of Pediatrics: Click here

To see what the CDC is saying regarding the effect of COVID-19 on routine vaccines: Click here

I have worked full time for many many many decades and I don't mind working. For many of the decades I worked 12 hour days. I loved work and I was good at what I did. I got my self importance from work. I am scared too death of going back to the office - it will be soon - things are beginning to re-open - but I will have to go. I need the health insurance. Weird have to go to work at the office for health insurance and risking my health. The one good thing is that I have an office that has a door.

BB13Irfc.img

Rajanish Kikade/AP Photo.
Mumbai, India
An Indian Air Force helicopter showers flower petals on the staff of INHS Asvini hospital on May 3. The event was held to thank the workers, including doctors, nurses and police personnel, who have been at the forefront of the country's battle against the COVID-19 pandemic.

On May 11th, barber shops, hair salons , restaurants and a few other places will re-open in my state. I so want to schedule a hair appointment but won't. This weekend, the purple hair goes away and my new hair stylist, myself and eSalon will get to work . Thinking of giving myself the shag haircut of the 70's that I did in the 80's. Pull your hair into a pony tail on the top of your hair and then cut a chunk off - your hair will fall into shaggy layers.!!!

$60! She lost her job and faces criminal charges for $60!

She's a medical "professional" (in the loosest terms) who stole from a dying patient - at least according to the headline I can't see the rest of the article because it's behind a paywall. If true, she lost her job for the exactly right reason. She has no honor and no ethics and shouldn't be anywhere near vulnerable people. She should lose her license. And if she did that, I'm sure that's not the only horrible thing she's done.

On May 11th, barber shops, hair salons , restaurants and a few other places will re-open in my state. I so want to schedule a hair appointment but won't. This weekend, the purple hair goes away and my new hair stylist, myself and eSalon will get to work . Thinking of giving myself the shag haircut of the 70's that I did in the 80's. Pull your hair into a pony tail on the top of your hair and then cut a chunk off - your hair will fall into shaggy layers.!!!

Mine opened today. Oldest dd and I got color, cut and style and we're in heaven!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yappychappy