Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just such critical information, bringing up so many different issues.
South Korea has had a stellar approach to lock down and opening back up, so this outbreak in the nightclub area is a stunning setback. South Korea is so good at tracking and tracing, but this case is also bringing up.

But the increasing number of cases related to nightclubs in Seoul is raising concerns about a possible second wave as well as over the high level of deeply entrenched homophobic attitudes in the conservative society.

Of 35 new cases, 29 were found to be linked to Itaewon, the capital’s gay district, according to officials from the Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC), bringing the total number of cases related to the clubs to 86.

South Korea struggles to contain new outbreak amid anti-gay backlash

I'm in regional New South Wales, Australia and have been self isolating.
Today I made a rare trip to Aldi and noticed a man who seemed to have a really bad cold or I hope that's all it was. He was openly coughing all over the place!!
I tried to avoid him and waited til he left the aisle and went in to quickly get what I needed. But suddenly he was right in front of me and there were people behind me. He had me trapped on the side, I had nowhere to go :(
I tried to get past him and he sort of waved me away because he seemed to think I was in his way. Good heavens!
I did the usual, not touch my face, washed my hands when I got home and sanitised everything including my handbag, keys, doorknobs and everything I bought.
That man did not look well at all, grrr.
On the plus side, we haven't had any deaths in our town, only 1 active case left with that person in isolation, but you can't help but worry with people like that wandering around coughing all over everything.

The theme from Jaws starting playing in my head as I read this, haha!

I have ordered one of these silicone masks... it just appears to have more breathability.... but not sure, yet. I love the handmade cloth masks that my friends make...but I breath much better in the blue surgical masks... but we'll see about this one...

Reusable Silicone Face Masks : silicone face mask

I looked at those, but nixed them personally as the surface area of my masks (perhaps about 6"x6"=36 square inches vs. perhaps 2"x2"=4 square inches of airflow) has more "breathability" area vs. those tiny little areas on the silicone masks. I'm one of those with a condition as others have here, whereby I can't even snorkel easily anymore as it's like labored breathing through a straw.

I looked at those, but nixed them personally as the surface area of my masks (perhaps about 6"x6"=36 square inches vs. perhaps 2"x2"=4 square inches of airflow) has more "breathability" area vs. those tiny little areas on the silicone masks. I'm one of those with a condition as others have here, whereby I can't even snorkel easily anymore as it's like labored breathing through a straw.

hmmm. We shall see. It certainly won't be the first time I have wasted some money on far fetched items during the Time of Covid.

I so value your links @tresir2012, and @FrostOwls as well... Sweden is just such a test ground, and I still feel that the comparisons with the US and UK are the most similar....
YVW. I love seeing all the
snippets from everywhere. Now this info about warmer weather I am taking in could help explain the lower numbers in CA and FL compared to NY and NJ.

This is just such critical information, bringing up so many different issues.
South Korea has had a stellar approach to lock down and opening back up, so this outbreak in the nightclub area is a stunning setback. South Korea is so good at tracking and tracing, but this case is also bringing up.

But the increasing number of cases related to nightclubs in Seoul is raising concerns about a possible second wave as well as over the high level of deeply entrenched homophobic attitudes in the conservative society.

Of 35 new cases, 29 were found to be linked to Itaewon, the capital’s gay district, according to officials from the Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC), bringing the total number of cases related to the clubs to 86.

South Korea struggles to contain new outbreak amid anti-gay backlash
Discrimination and stigma persist everywhere and continues to prevent medical services from reaching the very people who need them the most. moo

A modelling group convened by the World Health Organization and UNAIDS has estimated that if efforts are not made to mitigate and overcome interruptions in health services and supplies during the COVID-19 pandemic, a six-month disruption of antiretroviral therapy could lead to more than 500 000 extra deaths from AIDS-related illnesses, including from tuberculosis, in sub-Saharan Africa in 2020–2021. In 2018, an estimated 470 000 people died of AIDS-related deaths in the region.
The cost of inaction: COVID-19-related service disruptions could cause hundreds of thousands of extra deaths from HIV - World

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson's 50-page plan for lifting lockdown revealed

Boris Johnson will today put Britain on a path to restarting much of the economy from July as he reveals there is no recovery plan that involves a "zero risk" approach.

The prime minister wants all English primary school children to have at least a month's teaching before the summer holidays and even wants some hairdressers and beauty salons back in business at some point in late summer under a 50-page blueprint released today.

The details come in "Our Plan to Rebuild: The UK Government's Covid 19 recovery strategy" which sets out the three-phase approach, starting this week with further lockdown loosening at the start of June and further changes potentially from 4 July.

People will now be able to drive to outdoor open spaces "irrespective of distance" in England from this week, a new government document will say today.

The government also opens the door to limited social gatherings with one other person outside from this week, providing they are socially distanced.

The document says the government "is updating the rules so that, as well as exercise, people can now also spend time outdoors subject to: not meeting up with any more than one person from outside your household."

However, meetings with more than one person are forbidden.

It does seem that maybe virus doesn't like the warm weather. Not that it can't be transmitted in warm weather, but it's a little bit less infectious.
“For every increase in heat of 1 degree Celsius (the equivalent of 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit), we are seeing about 2% decline in transmission,” public-health expert Ali Mokdad, the chief strategy officer for population health at the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, told ABC News. “We find this relationship in our data and possibly it would be more when the weather warms up this month.”
Does warmer weather slow coronavirus?
Very interesting.

"A study from engineers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, still awaiting peer review, offered a direct comparison between the spread of coronavirus and local environmental conditions. It determined that places with high growth rates like Italy, New York, and Washington state exhibited “weather patterns similar to original hotspots of Hubei and Hunan (China),” where the pandemic started. Those locations were averaging temperatures between 37 and 50 degrees Fahrenheit at the time. By contrast, places with warmer climates like Saudi Arabia, Australia, Qatar, and Taiwan have exhibited lower growth rates.

The researchers used weather data over 10-day periods between Jan. 22 and March 21 and concluded that the lower number of COVID-19 cases in tropical countries might be due to “warm-humid conditions, under which the spread of the virus might be slower as has been observed for other viruses.”

MORE: Yes, COVID-19 is mutating, here's what you need to know
The study’s authors, in an email to ABC News, wrote their “main findings pointed towards the role of humidity as most important.” They did, however, stress that “there were found COVID cases even in the most humid places on earth, so the only way to stop the spread of COVID is to take precautionary measures.”

Brownstein agreed, saying “while there likely could be an environmental relationship, we can’t count on humidity alone to slow down the epidemic over the summer period.”

IHME, whose coronavirus-projection model is one of the most widely trusted in the field, is now planning to factor in weather-related variables going forward, Mokdad told ABC News.

Professor Mark Urban, an expert in biology at the University of Connecticut, recently authored a paper concluding that ultraviolet light could slow the growth of coronavirus.

MORE: The COVID-19 effects hospitals didn't foresee: Financial distress
“When we look across the US and the world, we find that in places where the ultraviolet light was lowest in the preceding weeks, the COVID-19 growth rate was the highest,” Urban said of his findings, which have yet to be peer reviewed.

Access to fresh, outside air is another possible factor experts are looking at -- both because warmer weather sends people outside and because buildings in warmer climates often have more outside air circulating indoors.

“It’s logical that more temperate climates are more likely to have architectural designs that are conducive to outdoor engagement, to free flowing spaces that connect to the outdoors like larger windows, more access to fresh air and more access to daylight,” according to Professor Kevin Van Den Wymelenberg, who runs an institute at the University of Oregon focused on creating buildings that support human health.

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson's 50-page plan for lifting lockdown revealed

Boris Johnson will today put Britain on a path to restarting much of the economy from July as he reveals there is no recovery plan that involves a "zero risk" approach.

The prime minister wants all English primary school children to have at least a month's teaching before the summer holidays and even wants some hairdressers and beauty salons back in business at some point in late summer under a 50-page blueprint released today.

The details come in "Our Plan to Rebuild: The UK Government's Covid 19 recovery strategy" which sets out the three-phase approach, starting this week with further lockdown loosening at the start of June and further changes potentially from 4 July.

People will now be able to drive to outdoor open spaces "irrespective of distance" in England from this week, a new government document will say today.

The government also opens the door to limited social gatherings with one other person outside from this week, providing they are socially distanced.

The document says the government "is updating the rules so that, as well as exercise, people can now also spend time outdoors subject to: not meeting up with any more than one person from outside your household."

Isn’t this a bit contradictory?

.....people can now also spend time outdoors subject to: not meeting up with any more than one person from outside your household."

Streets not empty as filled with love, says Queen

Queens VE day anniversary speech.

Breaking news re masks (as I thought would happen.)

"A few things leapt out.

While "homemade cloth face coverings can help reduce the risk of transmission in some circumstances", as the document puts it and the advice is to wear one in "enclosed public spaces where social distancing is not possible", it will not be a legal requirement to wear one.

The evidence for their benefit, we were told, was not strong enough for this to be the case.

When primary schools begin to reopen - and the earliest this could happen is the beginning of next month - all children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 could return, as they could be spread out throughout the whole school. But the decision will rest with headteachers.

Parents who decide not to send their children back to school will not be fined for keeping them away."

Coronavirus updates: Wear masks in enclosed spaces, English public advised - BBC News

Summary
  1. People in England should cover their faces in settings where they can't social distance, the government says
  2. Most international arrivals to the UK to be quarantined for 14 days
  3. PM Boris Johnson will explain the measures to MPs and then give a news conference at 19:00 BST
  4. In France, people are able to walk outside for the first time in weeks without filling in a permit
  5. Reports out of Paris suggest parts of the public transport system are struggling to maintain social distancing
  6. Russia now has the third-highest number of confirmed cases in the world, overtaking UK and Italy
  7. China reported 17 new virus cases on Monday, its second consecutive double-digit increase

Last edited:
100-year-old World War II veteran in Quincy overcomes the coronavirus

Massachusetts/much more at link
A 100-year-old Massachusetts man who fought in World War II, at one point landing in Normandy, France, has recovered after a battle with the coronavirus, news outlets reported.

Arthur “Mac” McIntosh, who lives in the Squantum neighborhood of Quincy, as well as two of his children contracted COVID-19 in late March, The Patriot Ledgerreported.

Isn’t this a bit contradictory?

.....people can now also spend time outdoors subject to: not meeting up with any more than one person from outside your household."

You can meet with one other person not from your household but no more than that. So you could, for example, meet up with a grandparent in your or their garden or an outdoor park. Social distancing to apply though.

It’s been a chilly -to say the least- spring in New England/Massachusetts. I can’t figure out Florida though. Even with weather - all those elderly people-
Would think hotspot.
and cities like Miami and Orlando?
Disclaimer - I haven’t really been following them just haven’t heard about them being up there either ?

snippets from everywhere. Now this info about warmer weather I am taking in could help explain the lower numbers in CA and FL compared to NY and NJ.

Living in FL...I really do agree. I believe so much of the southern FL cases had a lot to do with intense international travel and all those cruise ships coming in and out. There are many less deaths per capita in Miami Dade (younger international work) than Palm Beach (older and lots from NYC). North Florida counties from the ocean to Alabama and the crook of the Gulf Coast are very low numbers. (Jacksonville not so good though)
Orlando is not as "old" as some ocean counties... Lots and lots of young folks working in hospitality.

Florida is not as populated throughout the state as people seem to believe.

However, 595 new cases over night, and the death toll is still rising too.

Florida’s coronavirus numbers jump by more than 500 on Mother’s Day

Last edited:
100-year-old World War II veteran in Quincy overcomes the coronavirus

Massachusetts/much more at link
A 100-year-old Massachusetts man who fought in World War II, at one point landing in Normandy, France, has recovered after a battle with the coronavirus, news outlets reported.

Arthur “Mac” McIntosh, who lives in the Squantum neighborhood of Quincy, as well as two of his children contracted COVID-19 in late March, The Patriot Ledgerreported.
i just love these stories... I have so many former friends/colleagues in MA/NH... so I borrowed this and posted on my facebook page. I just love happy endings...or beginnings.

Oh there’s Tampa/St Pete too
Bigger cities. I lived just south of there for about 10 years. Not much if any real public transport anywhere even in the cities. Yah parts of Florida are super rural.

Living in FL...I really do agree. I believe so much of the southern FL cases had a lot to do with intense international travel and all those cruise ships coming in and out. There are many less deaths per capita in Miami Dade (younger international work) than Palm Beach (older and lots from NYC). Counties all along the northern corrider from the ocean to Alabama and the crook of the Gulf Coast are very low numbers. Florida is not as populated throughout the state as people seem to believe.

See, this is what I'm worried about with my Corona test. I still have the same symptoms after 7 days--headache, awful taste in my mouth, fatigue, gastric issues. My fever did spike again over the weekend, too. Still no cough or breathing issues but all sufferers don't have those symptoms.

2 tests in 1 day. One negative, one positive. Will be retested tomorrow.
Coronavirus updates: Joint Chiefs of Staff member gets conflicting test results
And then there's this...
Even if you test negative for COVID-19, assume you have it, experts say | Live Science

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025