Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mass. cop now in critical condition, ‘has now entered organ failure’ due to coronavirus

more at link /Central Massachusetts

Rutland police officer John D. Songy is on a ventilator and in critical condition at St. Vincent Hospital after his body rejected coronavirus medication, remdesivir.

“It is with a heavy heart that I am posting that John is now in critical condition because of all the struggling he has done and all the medications he has received. He has now entered organ failure,” said Joanne. “The care team states there is nothing that could have been done differently.”

Tragic. His wife secured a plasma donation using Facebook (a miracle) and he received it on Tuesday, to no avail. Too late, it seems. So he had both remdesivir and plasma. He's so young, was apparently healthy.

He tested positive on April 23. 17 days ago. There's still hope, so sending prayers and energy to him.

I was told to isolate from my pet, as well as my human family, after I had my COVID-19 test last week.

They closed our dog parks day after a few pets were diagnosed - not locally I forget where exactly . Is that common I wonder.(shutting the dog parks)
Our animal hospital (Tufts) is doing cv tests on pets -dogs? And cats? Maybe
Eta link- testing existing patients for research purposes Not like walk in testing
Can Pets Get or Spread COVID-19?

What makes people to go into a crowded restaurant right now? Do they have no clue that the virus is far from over?

I don't understand why people are flocking to hair stylists and nail salons. My Facebook page is filled with my friends who can't wait to go to the gym next week.

Don't even get me started about people who are planning vacations as soon as Disney opens up, or they can go on a cruise.

Has being on this thread made me insane? Or is everyone else crazy? I don't know. And that is even more crazy.

I don't understand why people are flocking to hair stylists and nail salons. My Facebook page is filled with my friends who can't wait to go to the gym next week.

Don't even get me started about people who are planning vacations as soon as Disney opens up, or they can go on a cruise.

Has being on this thread made me insane? Or is everyone else crazy? I don't know. And that is even more crazy.
No words. Paying a price.

I guess I am insane too. I would love to get my hair done but I am not ready to go. I colored my own hair yesterday and I so badly need a cut, but the cut can wait. I want highlights again but they can wait.

Go on a cruise, no freaking way.

Also on a semi-good note, our safer at home has been extended to May 22nd.
My son is leaving DC at the end of the month - no job or new job - he is leaving and I am so glad.

Today, I went to my mother's nursing home so that I could wave through the window at her. There was a guy that kept getting too close to me and he said 'Do you know anyone that has had this virus? I am a trucker and no one I know has had it.' I told him my step daughter had it and it caused her to have a heart attack and she is in her 30's. He kind of looked at me and thankfully backed up a few steps. I just wanted to yell at him, count your blessings that you and no one you know has had the virus.

I don’t get my nails done very often but I would love to get my hair cut and colored. I just can’t justify it right now though. My salon is using every other seat so people are at least 6 feet apart, 8 I think. You have to wait in your car until you are called or texted to come in. They are no longer serving beverages, stylists are wearing masks and asking the public to wear masks if feasible. Before the pandemic it took 8 weeks to get an appointment with my stylist. I guess I could call and see how far out she’s booked. Guessing it will be another 3 months before she could even see me. I may have to get the scissors out before then.

"Among the findings of their research paper, which the team plans to submit to a major journal: If 80% of a closed population were to don a mask, COVID-19 infection rates would statistically drop to approximately one twelfth the number of infections—compared to a live-virus population in which no one wore masks."

If 80% of Americans Wore Masks, COVID-19 Infections Would Plummet, New Study Says

I believe this may be the study which is mentioned in the article above.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/2004.13553.pdf

From pg 16 in the study:
Our SEIR and ABM models suggests a substantial impact of timely universal masking. Without masking, but even with continued social distancing in place once the lock down is lifted, the infection rate will increase and almost half of the population will become affected. This scenario would potentially lead to over a million deaths in a population the size of the UK. Social distancing and masking at both 50% and 80-90% of the population but no lock down beyond the end of May result in substantial reduction of infection, with 80-90% masking eventually eliminating the disease.

In Michigan, 22,000 are ‘recovered’ from coronavirus. Many still feel like hell

This article discusses the people who have recovered from the virus (technically recovered)- but when you read this you will feel so sad and so vulnerable. These people recovered, and they are a lot younger than me (and many of us here): My God, many of them can't even stand up for more than a few seconds: their organs were ravaged. I know i would never survive this evil virus: many of these people are in their 40's and 50's---and they can barely function.

Sports and testing
Study shows low rate of virus antibodies in MLB

Sixty of the 5,754 people in a study of the Major League Baseball employee population tested positive for coronavirus antibodies, a rate lower than what similar studies run in California found, the studies' authors said Sunday.
"I was expecting a larger number," said Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, a professor of medicine at Stanford University, which ran the study. "It shows the value of doing the science as opposed to guessing."

More at link/some controversy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members