Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's happening in many places, and I doubt the patrons are elderly, meaning younger people either reject the idea they could get the virus or be a carrier or just don't care. I vote for the latter.
I would like to know if it's happening in certain cities vs others. I haven't heard of this happening in Sacramento where I live.

Can you give an example of people going into crowded restaurants. JMO

Good for you for committing to find one you like better rather than throwing in the towel. I try to quiz my friends on FB who are complaining so I can find a solution for them.
I posted these photos in the mask making thread, but I think a whole lot of you who will need something like this won't see it there. The first photo is of button ear savers. You use them the way the nurse in the second photo is using the paper clip.

Attachments

• IMG_10052020_193058_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_10052020_193058_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_10052020_193633_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_10052020_193633_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 30
So it appears that being outside is more dangerous than being inside of a building. Thanks.

NO. The OPPOSITE. I would say that is certain. That's why it's so bad in New York City. Just follow the hotspots and look at the places with low rates. Indoor situations are BY FAR worse.

That's the whole thing about viruses in a nutshell. They are tiny and airborne. They go drifting done to the ground and are blown by moving air. In a building with any kind of ventilation (any air movement at all), it just stays in the building and finds new hosts among others in the building.

Outdoors, it is more dispersed, but still contagious. Nursing homes are the single largest place where people have died - and that's including some people below 60 who are in memory care. Hospitals have infected doctors and nurses.

Outdoors is safer. That's why you're reading about WSers visiting with Mom on decks or in backyards - more than 6 feet apart. Not 100% safe, but WAY safer than sitting in Mom's living room.

It’s just not without risk. I only heard about this because a friend of mine who hikes and jobs posted about needing to be more careful than she had been.
Now I'm afraid of stopping at a red light with the window down in my truck. The people in the vehicles next to me could be sending the virus my way. JMO

So it appears that being outside is more dangerous than being inside of a building. Thanks.

BTW, there are still "slipstreams" when people walk in buildings - it's just that people seem to think outdoors is completely safe and it's not.

Watching a largish gathering on Times Square right now, some kind of ceremony, and it looks as if about 10% are not following the Governor's orders about masks and 80% are not staying 6 feet apart.

NO. The OPPOSITE. I would say that is certain. That's why it's so bad in New York City. Just follow the hotspots and look at the places with low rates. Indoor situations are BY FAR worse.

That's the whole thing about viruses in a nutshell. They are tiny and airborne. They go drifting done to the ground and are blown by moving air. In a building with any kind of ventilation (any air movement at all), it just stays in the building and finds new hosts among others in the building.

Outdoors, it is more dispersed, but still contagious. Nursing homes are the single largest place where people have died - and that's including some people below 60 who are in memory care. Hospitals have infected doctors and nurses.

Outdoors is safer. That's why you're reading about WSers visiting with Mom on decks or in backyards - more than 6 feet apart. Not 100% safe, but WAY safer than sitting in Mom's living room.
But this seems to say that being outside is more dangerous.

The paper, entitled Social Distancing v2.0: During Walking, Running and Cycling, found walkers should keep at least 4m clear when following others, runners should stay 10m from one another other, and fast cyclists should ride as much as 20m apart, in order to avoid passing through “droplet clouds” from others exercising.

“The slipstream is the zone that arises right behind a person when they are walking or cycling, and which pulls the air a bit along with this moving person, as it were,” said Professor Bert Blocken, who led the research. “Cyclists like to position themselves in the slipstream of others to reduce their air resistance. But someone who walks or runs also has such a slipstream. We have seen that no matter how that zone forms, droplets end up in that air stream. So it’s best to avoid that slipstream.”

Walkers, runners and cyclists warned to avoid ‘slipstreams’

BTW, there are still "slipstreams" when people walk in buildings - it's just that people seem to think outdoors is completely safe and it's not.

Watching a largish gathering on Times Square right now, some kind of ceremony, and it looks as if about 10% are not following the Governor's orders about masks and 80% are not staying 6 feet apart.

I really hope that groups of Idiots don't ruin the good thing NY finally has going. They look like they may flatten the curve soon, so just follow Governor Cuomo and don't screw it up.

California requires you wear a mask at ALL times, except in your house or car. So, walking, biking etc. People are even wearing them while alone in their own cars.
Personally, I detest them (the masks).

IMO the health workers need both as they are working indoors in close contact with known infected patients. The general public in an outdoor environment are much less likely to be infected. In an indoor environment maybe yes, as Germany have required. Have any US states mandated masks to be worn either indoors or outside?

(ETA just seen the Massachusets mask rule posted by weeping angel )

Sunday morning, a large crowd of people were waiting outside to get into the restaurant when police and code enforcement officers arrived.

A video taken Sunday morning shows a crowd of customers starting to become vocal as officers approached the front doors.

An officer then walked up to Tom Miller, Sr. and placed handcuffs on him.

Based off the video, Miller did not seem to have direct contact with the officer before being detained.

He was released by police a short time later.

The shop has been violating the City of Fresno's stay-at-home order by allowing diners eat inside.

On Sunday afternoon, Chief Andy Hall sent out a news release addressing the video.

You can read Chief Hall's full statement below:

Today at 0840 hours, the Fresno Police Department was dispatched to the Waffle House at 4025 W. Fig Garden Drive to assist Code Enforcement Officers from the City of Fresno Attorney’s Office with issuing a citation to the business owner for violating a City of Fresno Emergency Order as it relates to the illegal operation of a restaurant during the COVID-19 pandemic. I have been briefed on the incident and have reviewed the video taken by a bystander. I am also in the process of reviewing the officer’s body camera of the incident. As the Chief of Police, I am concerned over the manner in which this incident was handled as it doesn’t appear to be consistent with our Department’s policy concerning demonstrations or the directions I have given officers via a Chief’s memorandum for handling enforcement of the Emergency Order. I immediately ordered an Internal Affairs investigation of the incident. I would ask for the public’s patience in this matter while the investigation is conducted.
Man detained outside of restaurant defying Fresno's stay-at-home order

Now I'm afraid of stopping at a red light with the window down in my truck. The people in the vehicles next to me could be sending the virus my way. JMO

Kind of an over reaction. OTOH, no reason to have your windows down if you have A/C and an inside air option in your truck.

People breathe out in front of themselves. Air tends to flow into cars as they move, if windows are down, thereby reducing viral load in cars. If you had a passenger in a closed car, that wouldn't be good, unless you were certain they were CV-free.

Cars are usually further apart than 6 feet, although I suppose in some narrow streets, the passenger in a car on your left who has their head turned in your direction could manage to propel some virion in your direction.

But this seems to say that being outside is more dangerous.

The paper, entitled Social Distancing v2.0: During Walking, Running and Cycling, found walkers should keep at least 4m clear when following others, runners should stay 10m from one another other, and fast cyclists should ride as much as 20m apart, in order to avoid passing through “droplet clouds” from others exercising.

“The slipstream is the zone that arises right behind a person when they are walking or cycling, and which pulls the air a bit along with this moving person, as it were,” said Professor Bert Blocken, who led the research. “Cyclists like to position themselves in the slipstream of others to reduce their air resistance. But someone who walks or runs also has such a slipstream. We have seen that no matter how that zone forms, droplets end up in that air stream. So it’s best to avoid that slipstream.”

Walkers, runners and cyclists warned to avoid ‘slipstreams’
But Blocken’s findings also have drawn harsh criticism from some who think he’s trying to say it’s impossible for people to exercise outdoors at a time when -- after weeks of stay-at-home orders -- they mentally and physically need it most.

Some critics say Blocken hasn’t published his study or his methodology yet and that he hasn’t elaborated on the amount of “viral load” that needs to be inhaled to infect another person.

“This is all to say that we are unsure of the specifics of this study, what it actually shows, what its limitations might be, and how it was done,” reads a scathing vice.com article. “What it’s suggesting could be accurate and useful, but we have no way of knowing that at the moment.”

Belgian prof’s coronavirus study causes stir with call to keep 13 to 65 feet away from walkers, runners, cyclists

The Vice article:

The Viral ‘Study’ About Runners Spreading Coronavirus Is Not Actually a Study
Belgian researchers chose to bypass all standard science publishing protocols to publish research that has been overhyped and isn't well understood.
Never accept as truth scientific research until it has been submitted for peer review and the results of that review are published.

I don't blame them either. Both tribes have issued strict stay-at-home orders and curfews for their communities, unlike Noem who has has not issued a stay-at-home order for the state.
Sounds like the Sioux tribes are doing more to prevent the spread of the virus than the governor. Good for them. Leave them alone.
Yes, I dont understand why the State feels they have reason for people to enter the tribal lands if the tribe wants to quarantine themselves. What business to non-natives have that requires them to be on tribal land?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizz28