Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #56

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand "losing homes and businesses." Canada has provided funds based on need. Businesses and employees are protected.

Re-opening for economic reasons means sacrificing people's lives. Health versus Economics. That's the struggle around the world and first experienced by the WHO when they said "keep borders open" and "contain" even though the WHO knew this failed in China.
If the sole criteria is saving lives then maybe we should never open up. It's a lot safer if everyone stay's at home. Forever. JMO

I agree that summer will dampen things, but this is very rarely discussed in reporting. In fact, reporting has typically been worded that a summer slowdown is not known, or there is no evidence that there will be one. I think that is because "they" want to keep people fearful and compliant as we try to work out of the current situation, which is not the worst thing at this point.

The good thing about a second wave is that we will be very much better prepared. Testing should be widespread and senior homes and vulnerable citizens will be sheltered. We all learned a lot.

I'm bouncing around in my head the idea that we might be better off with more infections now and likely higher immunity in the fall, due to the healthcare burden of the seasonal flu(s) and the potential severity of the second wave.

Me too. Not for vulnerable (shielded) groups but for a lot of people. But then, we have the question of latent effects on children, so I do believe parents should have the right and ability not to join in the general opening up, if they do not choose to. I would actually put myself back in my public-facing job before I'd risk my grandkids. Grandparents naturally feel that way, I think.

But people should be able to start to choose from a plate of safe/r options. I'm surprised at how in some online communities of older people, they're just starting to notice the numbers. People are remarkably disconnected from nightly news that provides facts about CV-19. So, one older person was posting in something of a panic yesterday, as she had just learned that this disease strikes mostly older people. This person is in a well known online community, but I do not know what nation she lives in, but seems to be a native English speaker. In some places, CoVid has just barely shown up, is what I'm trying to say. No need to speak about it much - it's over there, somewhere else.

So, given the effect of that, people will keep rolling into the hospitals, and this disease will be on a simmer, hopefully all summer, if anyone actually wants to get it now, they better find a way to get it soon, because otherwise it'll be next November-ish (knowing how CV interacts with temperature and humidity would give people some guidance).

I shan't be skiing in the Alps next winter.

Wish me luck, folks. Not only am I down to 3 cigarettes in my pack and intend not to buy any more, but I’m also on new meds that are making me jittery. Great time to quit, right? I think I have some nicorette somewhere.

Yes, this is sort of OT, but let’s face it - I would not even be trying to quit if it wasn’t for this pandemic. Not that quitting at this point will do me much good if I catch the virus. But those first 3 days of lockdown all I could think was that I’m not ready to die and that I still have too much work to do in this world. And, well, smoking is a bit stupid when the thing you most fear is not being able to breathe.

I actually am fine with it. Not only do I only go to highly predictable places, I'm glad that if anything happens to me (carjackings aren't all that unusual in Los Angeles, I often work nights - when I'm doing my regular job on campus), it'll be pretty easy to see where my last known place was. I used to care more about "privacy" but there are so many cameras everywhere anyway, I might as well have a system where I can check on why my DH is late getting home and where he might be in traffic - and when to get dinner ready.

Works for us, don't care about the privacy thing any more. I'm not even sure who I'd be hiding from and why anyone would want to trace my whereabouts (aside from finding me if I'm lost), I don't know.

As I mentioned earlier, there are so many businesses that will provide better service if I use my phone to order - and some won't do it any other way. LaForchette/Tripadvisor App are very popular in the travel crowd. We store all our bookings on our phones, have had seamless great service at hotels ever since. I guess I started using it more when I had a 6 year period of traveling alone to Sacramento on college business. Uber works for me, etc.

ETA: It doesn't matter if 15-20% of Californians opt out or don't have phones, the Google analytics really does help public agencies like public health and law enforcement figure out what kind of activities are occurring in which CoVid could be transmitted. People flocking to the beach, in general, take their phones. People take their phones or their smart watches when they hike or job, etc.

Hiking in SoCal without a phone is...not recommended. Rattlesnake bites alone are a huge problem and need immediate medical attention - but we also have jellyfish stings (no one dies from them, much, but they are so painful that almost everyone feels the need to immediately call an ER...)

I checked my phone to see what was turned on and what was not. It gave me every location I had been for ages...BUT it appears I am very predictable! :)

With you in spirit, @JaneEyre ! (I quit smoking already but remember what a challenge it was).

Google the stats on how much lung function you regain in just the first few weeks -- I don't recall the percentage but it was surprisingly high. Hopefully that will keep you going through the hard parts! You got this!

PS don't deplete the pack! Leave yourself one or two -- or if possible all three -- as a buffer to prevent you from going out for more.

Last edited:
Wish me luck, folks. Not only am I down to 3 cigarettes in my pack and intend not to buy any more, but I’m also on new meds that are making me jittery. Great time to quit, right? I think I have some nicorette somewhere.

Yes, this is sort of OT, but let’s face it - I would not even be trying to quit if it wasn’t for this pandemic. Not that quitting at this point will do me much good if I catch the virus. But those first 3 days of lockdown all I could think was that I’m not ready to die and that I still have too much work to do in this world. And, well, smoking is a bit stupid when the thing you most fear is not being able to breathe.
Anytime is a good time to quit smoking. Good luck.

With all the death caused by the pandemic, I am mostly concerned about children. Certainly not about my age group and older, we can make decisions to better protect ourselves if we choose (unless we are forced to work with co-morbidities, but that will be another post).

The MIS-C syndrome in children is worth keeping a close eye on, but as of yet, it is rare. 10ofRods has explained the CV- Kawasaki disease link very well in previous posts. I'll take notice when I see some statistics that the disease as related to COVID-19 is a relevant immediate and long-term risk to children. My threshold for that will be the average 150 pediatric deaths in the flu seasons 2016-2020. It would be disingenuous of me to get alarmed before that, since I never blinked an eye at the pediatric deaths related to the flu.

And I'll just put this out there- while the chances are exceptional remote that I uncover a childhood disease, I promise I won't name it after myself.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a health advisory to thousands of doctors across the country Thursday, advising them to be on the lookout for a troubling new syndrome that may be associated with Covid-19 infection.

The syndrome, called multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C), has been seen in children across Europe and in at least 18 states, plus Washington, DC.

At first, the cases were believed to be Kawasaki disease, a rare, inflammatory condition that usually involves the major arteries and the heart. But there were too many cases for it to be Kawasaki, and the doctors agreed it was a different inflammatory syndrome. Many, but not all, of the children tested positive either for current Covid-19 infection, or a past infection.

It's only rarely fatal and most children recover, Burns said.

MIS-C: CDC warns doctors about childhood inflammatory syndrome linked to Covid-19 - CNN

History - Kawasaki Disease Research Center - UC San Diego Department of Pediatrics

Last edited:

That is awesome! This absolutely not off topic. Personal responsibility in the wake of this crisis is kind of glossed over. Are we eating healthier, cutting out unhealthy habits, exercising etc? My survey says no, we are doubling down on poor health related decisions.

Rooting for you.

good luck to you
we're all here ready to support your journey toward a healthier lifestyle and surviving Covid!

Isn't that the truth. I talked to my Mom the other day, she not only had no clue what day it was, she didn't even realize that it was MAY! As in, "Happy Mother's Day"!

That's funny! My husband said he knows what day of the week it is because his pill box tells him. I know what date it is because I see it on an icon at the bottom of my laptop screen. Nice to have reminders... Haven't had trouble remembering the month yet, but give me time.

I read an article a few months ago about a man who lives all alone up in the high country of Colorado, and gathers some snow and other meteorological data for the government. He's been doing this for decades.

Due to the routine of his multiple-times-per-day data collection, he was quoted in the article as saying "I may not know what day it is, but I always know what time it is." :p

Jane, good for you! I quit many decades ago but had been smoking for only about 3-4 years, I think (started in college). I recall that I chewed a lot of gum and ate raw carrots and other veggies to distract me early on.

Please let us know how you are doing so we can cheer you on!

If the sole criteria is saving lives then maybe we should never open up. It's a lot safer if everyone stay's at home. Forever. JMO
This may become more common than we think. COVID-19 has allowed companies to realize they don't need brick and mortar to survive and could use fewer employees to meet their needs.

You can do it! Find that nicorrete gum...it was a life saver for me when I quit 25 yrs ago.

This may become more common than we think. COVID-19 has allowed companies to realize they don't need brick and mortar to survive and could use fewer employees to meet their needs.
Work from home will work for only a limited number of people. What about schools? Are all children to be home schooled from now on? JMO

Anytime is a good time to quit smoking. Good luck.

True, but... - I don't know anyone who smokes anymore, so I hadn't even considered that link. This article suggests that quitting now won't do much good.

Smoking Nearly Doubles the Rate of COVID-19 Progression

In a meta-analysis of studies that included 11,590 COVID patients, researchers found that among people with the virus, the risk of disease progression in those who currently smoke or previously smoked was nearly double that of non-smokers. They also found that when the disease worsens, current or former smokers had more acute or critical conditions or death. Overall, smoking was associated with almost a doubling of the risk of disease progressing.

Last edited:
Work from home will work for only a limited number of people. What about schools? Are all children to be home schooled from now on? JMO

While I'm completely against closing schools for covid, I have to say that the idea of closing public schools, in general, really appeals to me. So maybe an unintended benefit

True, but... - I don't know anyone who smokes anymore, so I hadn't even considered that link. This article suggests that quitting now won't do much good.

Smoking Nearly Doubles the Rate of COVID-19 Progression

In a meta-analysis of studies that included 11,590 COVID patients, researchers found that among people with the virus, the risk of disease progression in those who currently smoke or previously smoked was nearly double that of non-smokers. They also found that when the disease worsens, current or former smokers had more acute or critical conditions or death. Overall, smoking was associated with almost a doubling of the risk of disease progressing.
At the very least, the money saved from not buying cigarettes will help offset the increased costs of groceries. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member