Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #56

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So our restaurants are opening back up today and I went for dinner with my oldest daughter. No one had masks or gloves, including the staff, and there was no social distancing. The only changes were that the menu was online and the tables had little "sanitized" signs on them. There also were some big happy hour deals. We went early 4:30'ish because we thought it would be super crowded later. The bar was full -- about 50 people, and there were 5 or six tables out of about 20 full when we were there. For me, it was heaven to be among like-minded people and to get back to the normal simple things.

They published their policy on their website ahead of time so, hopefully, people knew what they were getting into before they headed there.

jmo

The virus is nowhere near over, so I would not be going in any dine in restaurants, especially ones that don't practice social distancing.

"This damn virus is going to keep going until it infects everybody it possibly can," Osterholm said Monday during a meeting with the USA TODAY Editorial Board. "It surely won’t slow down until it hits 60 to 70%" of the population, the number that would create herd immunity and halt the spread of the virus."
Coronavirus: Expert Michael Osterholm warns pandemic is far from over

So our restaurants are opening back up today and I went for dinner with my oldest daughter. No one had masks or gloves, including the staff, and there was no social distancing. The only changes were that the menu was online and the tables had little "sanitized" signs on them. There also were some big happy hour deals. We went early 4:30'ish because we thought it would be super crowded later. The bar was full -- about 50 people, and there were 5 or six tables out of about 20 full when we were there. For me, it was heaven to be among like-minded people and to get back to the normal simple things.

They published their policy on their website ahead of time so, hopefully, people knew what they were getting into before they headed there.

jmo

Our restaurants are required to mask up here. Jmo

jmo
Restaurant staff aren’t required to wear masks? Yikes.

I don't plan to dine out anytime soon either. And if I feel like a restaurant dinner, there is always delivery.

I really don't like delivery from sit-down restaurants. We'll order pizza or sandwiches in, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've ordered an actual restaurant meal for delivery. Imo a decent restuaurant meal wasn't meant to be shoved in a box and served 20 minutes after it's prepared. I'm that way about home-cooked meals, too. Come to the table when it's ready, or else lol. Plus, I like the "experience" - service, a glass of wine, etc.

I found this article interesting regarding why Florida has not been as hard hit. With all the international travelers and seniors living here, it was thought that it would have been much worse.

This article has analyzed lots of data that indicates that Floridians stayed home a lot earlier, and two weeks earlier than the governor locked down because people saw it coming and responded. I think cruise ship info from overseas and knowing how much of that business is in and out of FL , and DisneyWorld announcing closing as early as March 12, got everybody scared earlier!
I know my fears rose before many of my relatives and friends in other states.
How Florida slowed coronavirus: Everyone stayed home before they were told to

Also...UV-B. Sunshine.

I just want this horrible disease to go away and never come back. Nor any of it's cousins.
I also want the news media to stop fear mongering for clicks/revenues.
It's so hard to read the media's and even the doctor's analysis of what's really going on.
It's the end of life as we know it. 99% will have no symptoms, children don't get this, children are getting this, don't worry unless you're over 65, stay indoors, go outside, wear gloves, don't wear gloves, wear a mask, only N95 masks really work.
You cann9t get sick from your dogs, your dogs could have it. You can get infected from surfaces, very unlikely you can get this from surfaces.
And... don't worry, be happy.
Arrrgggh

Their new "cruise" plan is trips of 5 days or less. Not enough time to be their problem. However, that does not take into account employees.

I bet that they are cruises to "no where", just out in the ocean, Gulf of Mexico, or maybe to Key West, or Carnival's own little rock island. I don't think that Mexico, or Bahamas will be inviting tourists.

Oh yes, mid August, delightful time for cruises...in the middle of hurricane season! No thanks.

But many people will never investigate that or even look at where their cruise is going.

Yes, and only 50% occupancy too.

I don’t plan to dine out anytime soon. And you won’t find me in the public pools when they open on May 24 either, lol.

I have no earthly idea when I'll eat out again. My favorite restaurant is our local Chinese Buffet. Jmo

I haven't been to a public pool in years lol.

I have no earthly idea when I'll eat out again. My favorite restaurant is our local Chinese Buffet. Jmo

I haven't been to a public pool in years lol.
I haven’t been to a public pool for years either. But is seems foolish, beyond foolish, to go to one now.

And even with 50% occupancy and extra sanitation precautions I am not interested in going to a restaurant.

I have no desire to ever eat at another restaurant again, even after the virus wanes. My family is far too precious to me and I want to see my grandchildren grow up. No do I have a desire to shop in stores. Now that I’ve discovered curbside pick up, I’m in heaven. The one thing that we miss is seeing our son and his family due to social distancing. Fortunately we live just a couple of houses down from our daughter’s family. This horrendous virus has afforded me with the opportunity to refocus on who and what’s important in life.

Could they be hoping for a CoV-19 outbreak while they are onboard, thinking they can hang out at the pool and buffet for weeks on end on the company's bill? Surely they can't be hoping to be confined to their room for weeks on end.

I think they do think this, because they are in no way aware of the facts. Unlike people here on WS, they aren't reading about what's been happening to cruise passengers and cruise crew. They are all about immediate excitement.

Or, like my cousins (older than me), they think "it won't happen to us." Or "we have ways to game the system."

I do worry about them, but in the end, nothing gets through to them. Nothing. And she believes everything he says, no matter how outrageous it is, that's how she rolls. Her own brother has to distance himself from her and will not speak to her husband. My dad marveled at how "dumb" the husband was, all these years. They are 70 and 73. They come across as much younger. Cruising is very important to them.

They managed to get on a cruise to escape Ecuador ("cheap cost of living" don't you know?) and are now somewhat freeloading at his elderly father's house until either his dad dies or they get on another cruise. If they are aware of the realities of CoVid, I'd be surprised. They can claim ignorance as an excuse to almost anything (all of their friends in Ecuador are also obsessed with cruising).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025