Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #57

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This might sound ridiculous to some, however there might be some peace of mind to it.
It would be a good idea to take a selfie in a mask. And take a pic of each family member. If something should happen to you or family member, there is an updated photo of what you look like while you are out and about at this point in time.
Hopefully it is never needed. Best case is that it documents an important time of your life for history and future generations.

Thanks for posting this. I just love BBC writing..they just tend to cover so much data in regards to the subject they are reporting. This is filling in a lot of the blanks about India...as I always say--->learning every day.

I am still wondering if there is some type of country immunity build up against malaria in the country, which also may lend it self to why they were quick to use the HCQ, since it so often prescribed ...for travellers there anyway. I'll have to go back to read a couple more of the posted articles.
I was thinking that travellers might take the malaria drugs a couple of weeks before travel and it may have prevented them getting it in their home countries and infecting India too much. They seem to have tracked it back to one set of people.

This might sound ridiculous to some, however there might be some peace of mind to it.
It would be a good idea to take a selfie in a mask. And take a pic of each family member. If something should happen to you or family member, there is an updated photo of what you look like while you are out and about at this point in time.
Hopefully it is never needed. Best case is that it documents an important time of your life for history and future generations.

Back in early February, we discussed masks and someone suggested Sherwin Williams paint to get them at. I got 10 of the *real* N-95 masks at that time with a vent for $19.00. The next week, they shut that down.

I would be embarrassed to wear them out now perhaps, notwithstanding that I have one with a vent, that was originally back in early February to protect me, not others.

Still at home since late January, only one outing to be with family the first week in February through mid-February to stay with spouse, for an "outdoor" celebration of life which I traveled to, with the exception of working in my garden and making vases with flowers for neighbors. Neighbors have been great checking on each other....

Cars 'from across country' in beaches gridlock

Everyone is heading to the coast. No toilets or amenities open. Crazy lockdown fever (similar to cabin fever) IMO. Selection of comments and LE tweets from across Devon and Cornwall are below.

"Staff at the Saunton Sands asked motorists to drive on, while they tried to maintain control over access to the car park.

Skip Twitter post by @Sgt_BJ_DCPolice

Sgt Steve BJ : North Devon RPU :mad:Sgt_BJ_DCPolice

Sadly every double yellow line from woolacombe to Morthoe is covered with cars and vans. Cars mounting pavements to get by whilst pedestrians try to cross the road. All the offences have been recorded and will be processed in due course.@NWDevonPolice@NorthDevonNews

2:53 PM - May 20, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

104 people are talking about this

End of Twitter post by @Sgt_BJ_DCPolice

Police also warned motorists against abandoning cars elsewhere, saying they should follow police advice to avoid becoming trapped in smaller lanes.

Skip Twitter post by @BarumPolice

Barnstaple Police@BarumPolice

Traffic wardens are running out of tickets. Do not abandon your cars
1f621.png
emergency vehicles can’t get though! They will be towed away! @TheVoiceNDevon @DevonLiveNews @BBCSpotlight @BBCTravelSW #Covid_19 https://twitter.com/nwdevonpolice/status/1263086139784691712 …

NWDevonPolice@NWDevonPolice

Vehicles causing an obstruction or parked illegally may be ticketed or seized.... @BarumPolice @IlfracombePoli1 @BidefordPolice @SMoltonPolice @DCPTorrington @BarnstapleCust1 https://twitter.com/NWDevonPolice/status/1263078592331857923 …

1:47 PM - May 20, 2020

30 people are talking about this

End of Twitter post by @BarumPolice

Public toilets and other amenities in the area remained closed, drivers were warned.

Skip Twitter post by @Ilfracombe_DCP
Ilfracombe & Braunton Police@Ilfracombe_DCP

Roads towards the North Devon coast are now gridlocked. There are no amenities open or toilets. We have vehicles from all over the country identified, please do not travel here. We will still be here when this is over so come back when it’s safe to do so. @DC_Police @BarumPolice

12:34 PM - May 20, 2020

109 people are talking about this

End of Twitter post by @Ilfracombe_DCP

One officer said the area's elderly population would be "very anxious over the selfish actions of these individuals".

Another officer said vehicles were parked on double yellow lines between Woolacombe and Mortehoe and cars mounted pavements "to get by whilst pedestrians try to cross the road".

_112384290_perranporth_beach_2020_05_20_still_pic_1.jpg

Image captionAn estimated 300 people were on Perranporth beach, with visitors reportedly from 80 miles away
They said all offences were being recorded and would "be processed in due course".

In Cornwall, an estimated 300 people were on Perranporth beach, with the main car park beside it full, and other vehicles parked along the town's main road.

Some visitors told the BBC they were from Liverton in Devon, about 80 miles (130km) away.

Skip Twitter post by @AdsRed7

AdsB @AdsRed7

Our valuable resources are now having to be used for traffic control all over the coastline such is the volume of traffic. We have an elderly population in this part of the world who will now be very anxious over the selfish actions of these individuals @DC_Police https://twitter.com/ilfracombe_dcp/status/1263070639403028480 …

Ilfracombe & Braunton Police@Ilfracombe_DCP

Roads towards the North Devon coast are now gridlocked. There are no amenities open or toilets. We have vehicles from all over the country identified, please do not travel here. We will still be here when this is over so come back when it’s safe to do so. @DC_Police @BarumPolice

1:06 PM - May 20, 2020

17 people are talking about this

End of Twitter post by @AdsRed7

Tourism bosses in Cornwall and Devon were united in saying visitors should "stay away" as Covid-19 lockdown restrictions were eased in England.

Under the new guidelines, households are able to drive to other destinations in England, such as parks and beaches.

Last edited:
Nurses Have Right to Refuse or Consent to Decontaminated COVID-19 Masks, Processes Should Be Halted, MNA Declares in New Position Statement - News & Events - Massachusetts Nurses Association

massachusetts/union nurses/ decontaminated masks more at link
:)
NEWS & EVENTS
Nurses Have Right to Refuse or Consent to Decontaminated COVID-19 Masks, Processes Should Be Halted, MNA Declares in New Position Statement

CANTON, Mass. – The Massachusetts Nurses Association has issued a new position statement declaring that nurses and healthcare professionals statewide have the right to consent to or refuse a decontaminated COVID-19 mask and that these processes should be halted because there are no decontamination methods that have been proven safe and effective.

“The lack of reliable information on these practices, as well as the potential safety risks of these decontamination procedures pose risks to the health and safety of health care workers, as well as the general public at large require that these practices be halted,” reads the MNA position statement.

"Authorities in Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic, have officially banned the eating of all wild animals, it was announced today.

The local administration in the Chinese city said on Wednesday that along with the consumption ban, Wuhan would become a “wildlife sanctuary” where virtually all hunting of wild animals was banned with the exception of measures for ”scientific research, population regulation, monitoring of epidemic diseases and other special circumstances”.

As part of the ban, the city introduced stringent controls on the breeding of all wild animals, prohibiting any to be reared for food, CBS reported. Wuhan will also join a wider scheme across the country to offer buyouts to farmers who breed wild animals."

Wuhan officially bans eating wild animals

5/20/20 REUTERS LEGAL 11:21:16
REUTERS LEGAL
Copyright (c) 2020 Thomson Reuters
May 20, 2020
U.S. Department of Justice warns California governor over pandemic church closings
Dan Whitcomb
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Justice on Tuesday warned California's governor that his COVID-19 restrictions discriminated against places of worship by preventing them from meeting while businesses and film studios are allowed to carry on working.
In a three-page letter to Governor Gavin Newsom, the DOJ said the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution required churches and other houses of worship be given equal treatment under the law, even when a health emergency has been declared.
"Simply put, there is no pandemic exception to the U.S. Constitution and its Bill of Rights," Assistant Attorney General Eric Dreiband wrote in the letter.

The article is from a subscription service, so I could post the link, but you wouldn't be able to access it. So here's a link to another place where it's reported.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/arti...fornia-governor-over-pandemic-church-closings

DeWine issues urgent health advisory to help prevent spread of coronavirus in Ohio
The governor provided the following details on the advisory:

1. The new advisory incorporates six feet of social distancing; a limit of 10 people for mass gatherings; frequent hand-washing; and other sanitizing efforts.
  2. It incorporates all of the business orders about social distancing and sanitation, including employees wearing masks, as well as efforts to protect employees and efforts to protect the public.
  3. It considers our most vulnerable Ohioans as those who can suffer the worst impacts from the virus. The order strongly recommends that high-risk Ohioans stay at home as much as possible. They should avoid places where they are likely to encounter a lot of people.
  4. Our Urgent Health Advisory recommends (but does not require) all other Ohioans to stay at their place of residence when possible with the intent of lowering the rate of spread of #COVID-19.
  5. While our orders have included limited travel restrictions, these will now be lifted. However, while unnecessary travel within or outside of the state of Ohio is still permitted, it is not encouraged.

Took dog for his walk yesterday, Ohio. Passed a residence where at least 40 grads were congregating in yard (it’s a corner house, their backyard is adjacent to the sidewalk) and front porch. Decorated cars lined both streets. Kids hugging, drinking, grilling, eating side by side. Not a mask to be seen. Affluent area. Pretty sure cops just looked the other way. They don’t like to make waves here.

Ridiculous. I honestly hope this is the beginning of the end for public schools, but my guess is that the goal is to sell the real estate and go 100% online over time. Will be fun to see how the SPED entitlements are handled.

Ive seen you say this about public schools a couple of times now. I realize there are some bad public schools but there are also some excellent ones. Do you think underprivileged kids will be able to pay for private schools? And what about the parents who feel it very important to send their child into a diversified classroom setting? Help me understand your thoughts.

World sees largest increase in CV cases yesterday

About 100,000 new cases.

Meanwhile, yesterday's deaths in the US went back up - to 1500, from around 1000 per day for the 5 day period preceding.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 5,042,133 Cases and 327,268 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

New York and New Jersey are accounting for a lesser percentage of those deaths. California's reported deaths went up by about 30% (one week after phase I reopening). But Michigan's death are now equal to California's (with 1/4th the population). Many states are seeing increases in death rates.

Arizona, alone, account for an increase of 150 deaths of the 500 increased deaths. Arkansas had an additional ~50 deaths from Monday to Tuesday. Indiana had an increase of slightly more than 100 deaths from Monday to Tuesday. Obviously, some states held steady or went down. Maryland had a big jump, but I'm wondering if that's due to some reporting artifact.

At 1500 deaths a day, that's 45,000 deaths per month. No signs of slowing as we head out of May and into June.

Rounded off, UK has now tied Italy for per million deaths (532) while the US is at 281. That means Belgium has had the most deaths (almost 800 per million of population), Spain at almost 600, with Italy and UK tied for third place on a per capita basis.

Two states (Georgia and Florida) stand accused of manipulating their data to make things seem better.

Philippine police raid illegal hospital for virus patients
May 20, 2020
''MANILA, Philippines -- Philippine police raided a clandestine hospital and drugstore that were secretly treating Chinese citizens suspected of being infected with the coronavirus, police officials said Wednesday.

Two people were arrested and one patient was found during Tuesday's raid at the residential villa that had been illegally turned into a seven-bed hospital and drugstore, police Brig. Gen. Rhoderick Armamento said.

More than 200 suspected coronavirus rapid test kits and syringes were recovered from trash cans at the villa. The hospital and drugstore are in a large room by a swimming pool at the back of the compound, according to Armamento and a police video.

The male Chinese patient was moved to a Philippine hospital. Those arrested were the Chinese administrator of the hospital, which may have been operating secretly for about three months, and a compatriot who manned the drugstore, he said.

"They have practiced medicine and prescribed drugs without a license," Armamento said by telephone. "The Chinese patients who were brought there may still be walking around in public and can infect other people."

Ive seen you say this about public schools a couple of times now. I realize there are some bad public schools but there are also some excellent ones. Do you think underprivileged kids will be able to pay for private schools? And what about the parents who feel it very important to send their child into a diversified classroom setting? Help me understand your thoughts.

I would love to able explain why I feel the way I do about public schools, but all of it would violate the TOS lol.

Took dog for his walk yesterday, Ohio. Passed a residence where at least 40 grads were congregating in yard (it’s a corner house, their backyard is adjacent to the sidewalk) and front porch. Decorated cars lined both streets. Kids hugging, drinking, grilling, eating side by side. Not a mask to be seen. Affluent area. Pretty sure cops just looked the other way. They don’t like to make waves here.

That behavior will spread like wildfire. Memorial Day weekend is upon us. Hold down the hatches.

Wearing a face mask can reduce coronavirus transmission by up to 75 percent, study says

NEW YORK — Researchers have found that wearing surgical masks can significantly reduce the rate of airborne COVID-19 transmission, according to a study released on Sunday.
The study, described as a first of its kind, placed hamsters in two cages, with one of the groups infected with COVID-19 and the other being healthy. They placed the animals in three different scenarios to analyze the effectiveness of the face coverings.

In one scenario the mask barriers were placed only on cages with the infected subjects, another saw the masks covering the healthy subjects, and the third saw with no mask barriers at all. For all of the scenarios, a fan was placed between the cages to allow for the transmission of respiratory droplets.

They found that when the mask was placed over the infected cage the infection rate dropped to just over 15 percent.

That infection rate went up to 33 percent when the mask barrier was only used to cover the healthy hamsters’ cage.

With no mask barriers at all, roughly two-thirds of the healthy hamsters were infected with the virus within a week, the study found.

Researchers added that the hamsters who were infected even with the mask barrier had less of the virus in their bodies when compared to those infected without the masks.

took the actual leap of faith and went into our local Walmart this morning.

I have not shopped in a store since March 13...so it was a bit daunting. I did wear an N95 mask...before anyone is up in arms over that...its the kind with the exhaust vents..so no medical personnel would find it useful, and I wore a cloth mask over it.

Thank goodness I did, the store was fairly empty, but I would say 50% of folks were not wearing masks and a handful of employees (mostly the younger males) had them pulled down over their necks while stocking. And I heard coughing in various aisles and some folks do NOT follow the arrows...sigh..or the 6 ft distance...in fact its the males with no mask on that seem to not care how close they get to you...like they are trying to prove something I guess...next time I am going to go into a coughing fit when that happens...instead I just cursed under my breath and moved away.

I spent over $400, but it was a good trip. I needed a new vacuum cleaner since mine had gone kaput last weekend...and I stocked up on dog food, summer pj's (since I am spending more time in them..lol) toilet paper, cleaners and paper goods. Also vitamins that I had been ordering, I was able to stock up on.

I think I am going to go to Aldi tomorrow to buy groceries. I feel like I can do it now and safely, but you really have to always be aware of others around you...its a bit exhausting.
P.S. I run a huge Aldi group on Facebook so its my favorite store...that's where I buy 98% of my food ...been using Instacart for it lately, so I am excited to go for myself again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member