Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:/

"The Arizona House voted Thursday to give businesses sweeping protections from lawsuits if their customers or employees get sick from the coronavirus and to eliminate criminal penalties for violating the governor’s public-health orders."

"Republicans approved the bill in a party-line vote,..."

Arizona House OKs coronavirus liability shield for businesses | FOX 10 Phoenix
Arizona House OKs coronavirus liability shield for businesses

I wondered when this was coming. Business liability will not cover damages resulting from the pandemic, is what many business owners are saying. It's become a hot topic in our community.

We have an outbreak in a large call center. One person has died, about 60 plus infected, many hospitalized. Another outbreak in a snack food processing plant.

The employees reported to OSHA unsafe conditions - not being able to wear a mask while talking on the phone, around April 15th. Many have already retained lawyers, concern is a class action suit.

I see both sides. Certainly retribution for the sick and those that died. This is devastating, the call center and the snack plant have several hundred people, pays really well...for our small town, and great benefits. The call center now provides work from home, but in some areas the internet speed is an issue. The food plant is cleaning every 4 hours.

Folks are scared, either way you look at it. Surely we can find a reasonable way to handle these situations.

Moo...

Last edited:
Very likely, there will be a shortage of vaccine, at least initially. So, if some don't want to get a vaccine, more for the rest of us who want it.

Which is how I feel about churches reopening. It's not a "right" under the law, but it is a heartfelt semblance of a right - and so, let them go.

It's an entirely different worldview and others may suffer for it, but it will be mainly the people who attend.

The rest of us need to stay home - and business is going to suffer as long as that's 40-50% of us. As it seems to be right now.

Truly, in the long run, the more young/non-serious cases there are, the better for them and the better for all of us. But if I were 20, I'd want CoVId-19 right now - not 50 years from now. And if I were 50, and a typical American, I'd be staying home (but they won't - which is fine- people may end up having to have "immunity passports" and such).

My personal belief is that as long as we continue to cause unnecessary suffering to other beings on the scale that we do, we will be hit with viruses like this. It will never be enough death, though, for most people to see the light.

There are too many of us. Anthropologists estimate "carrying capacity" by events like this. We should all know that Africa is desperate and in decline (although only 900 million or so live there). USA totally dominates North America, demographically, but uses resources at a higher level than can be replenished from within.

IMO, when populations get too dense, all kinds of inhumane things start to happen. First evidence of warfare is a mere 6000 years ago (humans have been around for 200,o00 years). It wasn't a particularly highly populated area (a newish farming/fishing community in Denmark - but it was on the sea and others were looking for similar places, with harbors - and the earlier settlers were killed).

There's no good definition of warfare, maybe the event above was a mass murder.

Ha! A horse stepped on my bare toe as a kid! Those were the days...burrr....!

Taffy (uncle's horse, good for kids, they said) did the SAME thing (except it was more like half my foot; we were on a rare bit of concrete).

Taffy, on her behalf, was mad because my dad had taught me how to keep her head up, to keep her from eating grass instead of walking where I wanted her to.

This was in rural California - I picture you in the plains or the mountains for some reason. Perhaps because you are a Cool Cat.

Burning down Churches. Nice.

"A message at the scene that said, in part, “Bet you stay home now,” has led the police in Mississippi to suspect arson."

Such hatred in the US right now.

merlin_172724184_9a48e6ea-12c0-4c1c-b754-de1e19e4cb03-articleLarge.jpg

Church That Defied Coronavirus Restrictions Is Burned to Ground

Yes, @Simply Southern! Also, they are counting antibody tests in with reg COVID test positives, and I don't think this is appropriate...many who've had antibody tests have already had positive tests. I think our numbers are way off in VA.

Totally agree !!! They think they are fooling us by counting some things by county and some by health district. I created a spread sheet by city, county its so much easier but what is odd some days the numbers just don't add up. I check and double check and nope they don't add up. And my favorite is the testing for "out of state" and they don't report if they are positive or died!!! Then we have the "unknown". How do you test someone from an unknown city or county??? Surely they know the location the test was done. Then the 15 day lag on, the "50k test" Dr. Remely stated, on Monday hasn't been entered into the computer. I noticed she's been absent since.

The numbers are doubling in my area every 3 to 4 days. We have a foundation paying for all our testing and can't get the state to approve point prevalence testing and it won't cost them a dime. The foundation even pays the nursing, the racetrack is the site and we have a 150k commitment with more if we need. I personally spoke with Dr.Carey on Monday and he said it was a local decision. Well, I've known, worked and socialized with the local health dept nurses for years and they say it ain't so. The Director in Lynchburg, says his hands are tied, its controlled at the state level.

I'm just bumfuzzled....

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/

With our internal legal counsel today, we learned that the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) has updated its guidelines for the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The ADA now covers an employee that has a disability that puts them at high risk for complications of COVID-19 and so they may request telework as a reasonable accommodation to reduce their chances of infection during a pandemic.

Note that age in itself (over 65 as a risk factor according to CDC) does not in itself qualify a person for ADA, but if they have other high risk conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, etc. (see list of high risk conditions identified by CDC), then they can request telework as a reasonable accommodation. Note that they can also request another kind of reasonable accommodation in the workforce, it doesn't necessarily have to be telework, but telework is the example given.

This is new guidance as of March 21, 2020 from the EEOC.

See #10 at Pandemic Preparedness in the Workplace and the Americans with Disabilities Act | U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

EBM to add clarification that reasonable accommodation doesn't have to be a request for telework, it can be other accommodation.

Last edited:
Universal Orlando Issues "Inherent Risk" Health Warning for Upcoming Reopening

Along with confirming the destination's official reopen date, Universal issued a warning to would-be guests.

"Note that any public location where people are present provides an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 and we cannot guarantee that you will not be exposed during your visit," the theme park's website reads.

Patrick Ewing says he has tested positive for COVID-19 ... and he's sharing his diagnosis in hopes of convincing people the "virus is serious and should not be taken lightly."

The New York Knicks legend and Georgetown University men's basketball coach announced his diagnosis Friday afternoon, and GU says he is under care and in isolation at a hospital near the school's campus in Washington D.C.

I think you're just missing all the updates saying just that. Call the hotline. I see them all the time. A lot of people trivialize mental health issues. I think when you've seen the fallout, it's probably a bit more real. Jmo

But why is going back to work the answer? In the group of people I know, it's the opposite. The issues are coming from fear of going back to work.

My own view is that people should go to churches, restaurants, etc if they wish - but the rest of us would like a way of contact tracing. And until that exists, a lot of us aren't going into those restaurants.

I didn't work to get this old, to enjoy semi-retirement and then experience CoVid merely to eat out. Our food at home is pret' darned good. And once CoVid happened, restaurant delivery and pick-up have both been nightmares, so I'm done with that (as are all the people I know - even young ones).

No one can afford restaurants, anyway. Our grocery bill is higher, that ate up the gas money surplus. We can't travel anywhere (which is the only way we'd eat out at this point).

Interestingly, people over 50 have a lot of disposal income. Younger people do drive-through - I'm sure that will thrive.

Anyway, among my colleagues, friends and students, the kind of work required leads to a fear of going back (no one wants to infect a vulnerable person, just for starters).

I hope you're not advising WSers to call the hotline just to inquire about suicides. Only call if you're feeling suicidal.

Yes, they challenge him!! He is the ONLY Governor that is a PHYSICIAN. CBS Richmond, VA, NBC12, NBC4 Washington has developed an I team and we are sending all newspaper/TV that are naming the NH and the number of deaths to complied a list and possible count. The VA Dept of Health is the governing body for NH, ALF in VA.
News4 I-Team Crowdsources Virginia Long-Term Care Outbreaks After State Refuses to Disclose Facility Names

VA Hospital Association is reporting what some facilities report to them. Especially the lack of PPE, which the Governor refuses to give to NHs, says they need to purchase. However he gave out 40k mask to the low income housing projects in Richmond, in one day. They are testing all those that want a test in all Richmond housing projects but not in the 170 nursing homes with outbreaks. Please, don't think I am being judgmental about public housing, my husband worked for HUD and was one of the best Grant writers for the state and recognized by two of our previous governors. We were both passionate about public housing!!

Virginia Licensed Nursing Facility COVID-19 Dashboard

Yes, they ask, and ask, and ask and he just grins and goes to the next question. The pressers are MWF at 2pm. I can send you a link, be prepare to pick your jaw off the floor.

And to add to this craziness, Northern VA is now independent of the state, they are not open, doing their own testing, holding their own pressers and completely ignore the Governor. Now Richmond has decided to not open, holding their own pressers and is working a deal for free testing and housing for those infected. VA Beach is OPEN for business, even though they have major outbreaks at the poultry plants (CDC did testing and VA NOT including in the count). Governor refused to issue order that NVA and Richmond can't come to areas that are open.

I'll provide links for any of the above. I know, its hard to believe, I ask myself after each, is this real?

Moo....

Wow. That's super interesting.

Arrg. The angst.
Restaurant customers are beating down our doors and ringing our phone off the hook.
We are in the hospitality business. We're now to tell them to go away, then police them.
I get it, and them. San Diego has had very few cases and deaths.
I'm home and my wonderful husband and staff is dealing with all of this. I cannot.
I would be frantic.
I don't know how to turn people away, and or police them.
This is such a screw up by our stupid leaders.
They gave us ZERO warning that they were going to open San Diego. ZERO.
Even one day notice we could scramble to ready.
We went from not until July 4th (California Governor) to, RIGHT NOW.
I will never again vote for any politician that is not business savvy. Idiots.

Words of wisdom there. ;)

I will let it be. But I can't go back into a classroom (nor will any of my colleagues unless absolutely necessary). Not until the Let It Be people have a couple of months to get their CoVid.

I now fully expect various kinds of testing to be required (and the expenses passed on to the education system). So the Let It Be people can continue doing what they are doing.

I'm fine with online teaching. I hope all the students are. I did have really good pass rights for the partial semester - and things are going swimmingly in the beginning of summer session.

So, social-college and IRL classes may be a thing of the past, unless it's nursing or physical therapy or kinesiology or radiological tech (etc). And even for those tracks, several have to take anthropology (online - no one in my department is going back until rates are much lower).

But why is going back to work the answer? In the group of people I know, it's the opposite. The issues are coming from fear of going back to work.

My own view is that people should go to churches, restaurants, etc if they wish - but the rest of us would like a way of contact tracing. And until that exists, a lot of us aren't going into those restaurants.

I didn't work to get this old, to enjoy semi-retirement and then experience CoVid merely to eat out. Our food at home is pret' darned good. And once CoVid happened, restaurant delivery and pick-up have both been nightmares, so I'm done with that (as are all the people I know - even young ones).

No one can afford restaurants, anyway. Our grocery bill is higher, that ate up the gas money surplus. We can't travel anywhere (which is the only way we'd eat out at this point).

Interestingly, people over 50 have a lot of disposal income. Younger people do drive-through - I'm sure that will thrive.

Anyway, among my colleagues, friends and students, the kind of work required leads to a fear of going back (no one wants to infect a vulnerable person, just for starters).

I hope you're not advising WSers to call the hotline just to inquire about suicides. Only call if you're feeling suicidal.

BBM

Where in the world did that come from? I said I've seen all sorts of news updates about hotlines. I have no idea why it would get twisted that badly. Jmo

I think you answered your own question. The people who are killing themselves (or trying) are the ones who have/will lose everything and/or are isolated and depressed. People who are so fearful of possibly dying by exposure to a virus that they don't want to go back to work, on the other hand, aren't likely to choose to die by their own hand instead, imo.

I will let it be. But I can't go back into a classroom (nor will any of my colleagues unless absolutely necessary). Not until the Let It Be people have a couple of months to get their CoVid.

I now fully expect various kinds of testing to be required (and the expenses passed on to the education system). So the Let It Be people can continue doing what they are doing.

I'm fine with online teaching. I hope all the students are. I did have really good pass rights for the partial semester - and things are going swimmingly in the beginning of summer session.

So, social-college and IRL classes may be a thing of the past, unless it's nursing or physical therapy or kinesiology or radiological tech (etc). And even for those tracks, several have to take anthropology (online - no one in my department is going back until rates are much lower).

My kids are NOT fine with on-line teaching. And neither am I fine with paying the bills for it at the regular tuition rate/salaries. jmo

You. said (to Mickey):

//I think you're just missing all the updates saying just that. Call the hotline.//

I took "call the hotline" to mean you were telling Mickey to, well, "call the hotline" while the two of you were discussing suicide.

Did I misunderstand? Why type that?

No one should just "call the hotline" unless in distress. Maybe you thought Mickey needed that advice? I guess I didn't see that kind of cry for help here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bill1620