Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #58

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I shared my angst over the forced return and acceptance of positive Covid-19 patients to long term care centers, endangering our most fragile elderly previously. Sadly, elderly abuse has been around in these centers as well. But, this blatant physical violence caught on video, from the perpetrator himself is frightening to say the least. If family cannot see their loved ones ( and others) who is watching?
We can do better for our elderly!

Hi: i appreciate those who responded ( on the prior thread that is now closed) to my post about the tech who repaired the air conditioner last night: thank goodness I had an extra mask which is a pretty good one and he wore it the whole time. Trying not to think of all the people he has been exposed to in his job----there is also the issue of air conditioning spreading the virus. I am just hoping he has not got the virus and that the mask is protective enough to prevent the spread. We are living in a very frightening time.

Here is what happens when unproven drug is given to sick patients for no scientific reason. And people without medical degrees shouldn't blabber on national TV how something is a magic bullet with no evidence.
"Seriously ill Covid-19 patients who were treated with hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine were more likely to die or develop dangerous heart arrhythmias, according to a large observational study published Friday in the medical journal The Lancet."
Large study finds hydroxychloroquine Covid-19 treatments linked to greater risk of death and heart
arrhythmia

Link to the Lancet article: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext

I shared my angst over the forced return and acceptance of positive Covid-19 patients to long term care centers, endangering our most fragile elderly previously. Sadly, elderly abuse has been around in these centers as well. But, this blatant physical violence caught on video, from the perpetrator himself is frightening to say the least. If family cannot see their loved ones ( and others) who is watching?

I know. If there is one thing that I hope for, it is a nationwide network of top-notch child care and elder care. So many people will be out of jobs as a result of other jobs becoming telework. Social services is not for everyone, but can I dream of a world where these are well-paid, high benefits, highly screened and highly trained jobs that the most competent jobseekers would compete for? A super-compassionate heart is a huge plus, but that can develop in the right individual, provided they are conscientious about doing any job well, including service to others.

Just IMO and a pipe dream, as I think about how much I relied on childcare all those years ago.

No big surprises here, but care home deaths continues to be a huge problem (and tragedy) all over the world.

Interesting to note that 17 US states have not yet included care home deaths in their figures, hopefully this will be amended so that the country stats show a true reflection.

Across the world, figures reveal horrific toll of care home deaths

Thanks for posting. I do trust The Lancet. I have been more concerned with the over promotion and $$$ spent for this dang drug... but this evidence certainly shows the downside of even taking it. I hope desperate families and patients do listen to doctors, if they don't read The Lancet. (ha..just a joke). So much money ......... So many needles to find.

CDC Global Health on Twitter
Caring for your mental health is important. Find ways you and your family can reduce stress during #COVID19.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
EYel1w-WoAAW2fP.jpg

1:32 PM - 20 May 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
Reported US coronavirus deaths on date:
Mar. 21: 323 deaths
Apr. 21: 45,039 deaths
May 21: 94,702 deaths
10:38 PM - 21 May 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
Reported US coronavirus cases on date:
Feb. 21: 34 cases
Mar. 21: 25,740 cases
Apr. 21: 824,438 cases
May 21: 1,577,140 cases
10:39 PM - 21 May 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
Reported US coronavirus deaths:
80 days ago: 6 deaths
70 days ago: 41 deaths
60 days ago: 413 deaths
50 days ago: 4,780 deaths
40 days ago: 20,604 deaths
30 days ago: 45,039 deaths
20 days ago: 64,943 deaths
10 days ago: 80,397 deaths
Right now: 94,702 deaths
10:40 PM - 21 May 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
Full Lancet study: Researchers were "unable to confirm a benefit of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine" for treating coronavirus. Instead, the drugs were "associated with decreased in-hospital survival and an increased frequency of ventricular arrhythmias."
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext
9:22 AM - 22 May 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
New Lancet study: "Chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine, alone or in combination with a macrolide, was associated with an increased hazard for clinically significant occurrence of ventricular arrhythmias and increased risk of in-hospital death with COVID-19."
9:25 AM - 22 May 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
New Lancet study on hydroxychloroquine: "These findings suggest that these drug regimens should not be used outside of clinical trials and urgent confirmation from randomised clinical trials is needed."
9:27 AM - 22 May 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
- 1 in 11 patients in the control group died
- 1 in 6 patients treated with chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine alone died
- 1 in 5 treated with chloroquine and an antibiotic died
- 1 in 4 treated with hydroxychloroquine and an antibiotic died
Large study finds hydroxychloroquine Covid-19 treatments linked to greater risk of death and heart arrhythmia
9:50 AM - 22 May 2020

CDC on Twitter
CDC is monitoring 15+ different models to forecast possible #COVID19 deaths in the US. As of May 18, national forecasts suggest that the increase in the total number of deaths will slow but exceed 110,000 by June 13. Check your state forecast: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
EYoUgsdXQAEqgT2.jpg

10:53 AM - 22 May 2020

CDC on Twitter
#DYK? When you get an antibody blood test, your blood is checked for antibodies, which show if you had a previous infection with the virus that causes #COVID19. Learn more: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
11:45 AM - 22 May 2020

I know. If there is one thing that I hope for, it is a nationwide network of top-notch child care and elder care. So many people will be out of jobs as a result of other jobs becoming telework. Social services is not for everyone, but can I dream of a world where these are well-paid, high benefits, highly screened and highly trained jobs that the most competent jobseekers would compete for? A super-compassionate heart is a huge plus, but that can develop in the right individual, provided they are conscientious about doing any job well, including service to others.

Just IMO and a pipe dream, as I think about how much I relied on childcare all those years ago.
Oh my yes...... this thought about that reliance and dependence on care for so many years does come back into our minds, doesn't it? I have said to my kids so many times ..." I am so glad you guys are adults now"....

The CDC has finally come out of the shadows to state actual estimates of COVID-19 death rates.

Their best estimate = 0.27%.

In new guidance for mathematical modelers and public health officials, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is estimating that about a third of coronavirus infections are asymptomatic.

The CDC also says its "best estimate" is that 0.4% of people who show symptoms and have Covid-19 will die, and the agency estimates that 40% of coronavirus transmission is occurring before people feel sick.

So .27% of the U.S. Population of approx. 330,000,000, comes to 891,000 Dead once everyone has been infected.

‘This is not a real goodbye.’ How social
distancing has ruined the sanctity of funerals."

This is an extremely poignant account of how one Sacramento family had to deal with the funeral service for their father on May 4th in Sacramento, California, due to restrictions because of the coronavirus. It is written by the journalist with great empathy, but is emotionally hard to read. The family appears to have been very open to sharing their experience and proud to honor the memory of their father. Published in the Sacramento Bee yesterday.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article242853526.html?

Confession:

I went on amazon after a few drinks in what I would describe as a panicked state after I could not get toilet paper or tissue via instacart.

So I found some tissues which I thought was a big box and paid out the yingyang for it.

Well apparently the image looked a lot “bigger” on the website...

I received it and it’s basically it’s a small box with three rolls. I paid $30 for it!

Lesson, don’t go on amazon to buy toilet paper if you’ve been drinking!

—-
ETA:

I was hunting and hunting and I think I finally just go so desperate and frustrated I hit “order”.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="As usual, @10ofRods, a boatload of information. However, most the articles here are about a month old... one quite recent. Since you seem to track the trends so well.... i hope you will continue to share any updates on the "care homes" dilemma.... I "feel" it is getting much better, but have no real way of understanding...
Have they put holds on "staff travelling among care centers"? That bit was actually new info for me, just didn't know why there was so much of that. My own doctor was livid that they were putting hospitalized care home patients back in care homes.[/QUOTE]

The only reason I posted that was to speak about the early vectors of transmission. There's an article in yesterday's WSJ about super-spreaders (people who spread CV to many many people; care home workers in Washington and in UK are examples).

My point is that if we open schools, the parents of children will have silent CV. Those people will go to work in their usual jobs.

Many of my students work in care homes. Several are currently the only person in their family with work. They write of how hard it is on their fathers, who have had been the main providers for their families, but are now out of work as electricians, port workers, airport workers, warehouse workers, etc. So these young women have to go to work, 3 12-hour shifts a week plus 2 6 hour shifts and some of them pick up 6 hour shifts at other care homes.

Several of them are parents.

So my point is that silent transmission back into nursing homes will happen if we open the schools. Some of the young men in class work in care homes. In California, we have tons of half-way houses for schizophrenics, other mentally ill, people recovering from addiction just out of rehab, and of course, rehab centers. Both men and women work in these - most are in their 20's and 30's. The young men get the jobs readily because there are never enough people who want to be the only person in a residential care home over night. Between my husband (also a college instructor) and myself, we have 6 students (5 males, 1 female) who are TSA workers.

Many of them are parents.

So, allowing schools to open without some way of controlling spread inside is going to result in many more people being infected, even if all these workers wear masks during their shifts because people make mistakes with masks and so far, that hasn't been mandated and there's little supervision at night in these places. Presumably the TSA will be keen on masks when the person is working at the security point, but I am not optimistic that workers will wear the masks while on lunch breaks, behind the scenes or that adequate hand washing opportunities will provided - and masks are not 100% effective in any case.

I am not against reopening the schools, I'm just pointing out that some vectors will be opened up by this, and I for one am glad I do not have relatives in care homes, nor am I quite ready to travel.

Restaurants strike me as a bit different, if they have their a/c off and the doors open for air. That's because it takes more than just a few minutes of exposure to someone in a mask to get a viral load that would result in infection. But...again, employees in restaurants have to be given breaks, they often take their breaks together and let's hope they take those breaks outside. It will be the other patrons who mostly spread it.

When the weather gets gnarly again next year, we may see a huge second wave if there are all these silent carriers.

At any rate, I was trying to point out the ways in which CV-19 spreads and how it burst onto the scene in L.A. County, nursing homes in UK and throughout the US. and especially in Washington. So of course the articles are a few weeks old.

Interesting BBC article on how Vietnam kept its numbers down and not reporting any deaths from coronavirus. Seems like they could send messages to every cell phone in the country, due to their authoritarian government. Mass communications were good, though, including apparently a very catchy song.

How 'overreaction' made Vietnam a virus success

In a more perfect world, the government would create a fund for completely revamping air circulation within nursing homes. This would be costly but a huge step forward. The harder part is testing employees, but if there are 15 minute tests available, perhaps these could be centralized and workers tested daily. It wouldn't make things perfect, but it would dramatically reduce transmission in care homes.

Same for hospitals.

Tremendously expensive, but so is care for CoVid. I predict it will not happen in either the US or the UK, and I hope I'm wrong.

We certainly need a vaccine. When it does role out, I think healthcare workers will be the first to get it and I hope each nation realizes it must include all care home workers.

I felt this article was missing true factual information, so tried to see any reposting or response to validate this article in The spectrum.

I only found one, printed in another conservative press similar to the Spectrum. (the only one in English anyway). It presents much much more of the R0 data that is necessary when defining herd immunity. More statistically researched information of experts is much more crucial to understand. I would love to see lower statistics for covid, if they are truly proven....but would certainly not want to spread the words in this article.

I still think that Sweden is one of the best examples out there for us to learn from. But as we have stated over and over, Sweden culture is sooo different than US, or probably UK, culture. When social distancing is built into the lifestyle, I guess there might be different ways to interpret herd immunity. But for now, I will live with experts who have been there/done that for years.

What's the Herd Immunity Threshold for the COVID-19 Coronavirus?

Yes, there is only a small percentage that understand R0 vs. RT. R0 is if everyone is susceptible without any measures to prevent, and 100% are not immune.

Many here understand, but I don't think the general population is understanding as MSM hasn't educated nor has anyone that I've seen in pressers.

As more folks are infected, the person to person declines the R0, as social distancing and measures happen that also declines the Ro. Both move it to an RT... what it is in real time including the measures.

Many of the models were done just on the R0.. no measures, no social distancing, no decrease from the 100% that were susceptible. That was done for preparation as to what measures to take and potential scenarios if nothing done. MOO. Yet MSM keeps attacking. And as models are done, MSM doesn't look at what considerations are being done in the models and understanding they are just scenarios to juxtaposition for understanding impact.

I do wish that there was a MSM report (2 hour one perhaps) explaining how just minor changes can have, and DID have, a significant reduction in the RO. We see reports in MSM that if shutdown had been done 1 week earlier, there would be so many less deaths. Yeah... It's exponential so they just can go back one week on today's numbers and say those reports... But there is more to it.

I just don't think that most folks can grasp as I keep seeing such again and again as slams against models without understanding what the focus was when the were developed.

It's very saddening to me as MSM keeps doing misunderstanding reports on such...

FACT MOO... even slight changes in who has been infected so far.. that decreases the Rt for the future (well, MOO, that is a fact).

Changes in social distancing decreases the Rt (well MOO, that is a fact)

Think of it this way. Many folks don't understand exponential transmission. That was VERY hard for even top folks that had no science background to understand.

And now... still talking about R0 and how it's irrelevant when we should be talking about Rt.... jeez.... my guess is above most folks understanding which I am seeing all around.

Epidemic theory (effective & basic reproduction numbers, epidemic thresholds) & techniques for analysis of infectious disease data (construction & use of epidemic curves, generation numbers, exceptional reporting & identification of significant clusters)

Complexity of the Basic Reproduction Number (R0)

ETA: ha! forgot my disagreement comment that the herd immunity is 10-20! Nope. MOO.

Last edited:
Confession:

I went on amazon after a few drinks in what I would describe as a panicked state after I could not get toilet paper or tissue via instacart.

So I found some tissues which I thought was a big box and paid out the yingyang for it.

Well apparently the image looked a lot “bigger” on the website...

I received it and it’s basically it’s a small box with three rolls. I paid $30 for it!

Lesson, don’t go on amazon to buy toilet paper if you’ve been drinking.

ETA:
I was hunting and hunting I think I finally just go so desperate and frustrated I hit “order”.

Haha. I didn't spend quite that much for a kleenex knock-off, but I feel your pain. We just got refunded for an oximeter.

And another weird shopping-related thing. DH decided to spend his gas money collecting some music-related things. One item turned out to be totally not-as-described and now we think the person claiming to own the business is just a scammer (paypal refunded us, but not after the jerk refused to address the broken item). We now believe that he is sending the same broken item to person after person, hoping to hit gold. Has a 48 hour return window, doesn't ship by USPS. We also got a "new" item from Amazon that was so obviously used, it's crazy. I joked that this item has now been received and read by a huge number of fans of this particular band, with the price going up each time and the seller hoping someone will keep it in their quarantined packages area and forget to open it until it's too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member