Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #60

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think persuading the masses was over when there were many chanting demonstrators storming state capitols, claiming that their constitutional rights were being violated by the restrictions well before the BLM marches. These were supported and encouraged by politicians at high levels and were not interfered with, even when they carried guns into the capitol building. It wasn’t illegal so it was allowed.

Many of us were very concerned about those demonstrators spreading coronavirus since they mostly didn’t wear masks and practice social distancing. But they weren’t interfered with. For many people who crowded into churches it was the end of the world for them.

So the BLM marches didn’t start the non-compliance. It had already happened with ones demonstrating against restrictions. The BLM protestors had just as much right to demonstrate as the earlier ones. The compliance horse had already left the barn.

Thankfully, many BLM protestors wore masks. The ones I saw in my community were even walking far apart, although that wasn’t true everywhere. And of course, I’m putting lawless looters in a separate category.

So IMO whether it’s fair that people of either cause were out marching isn’t really relevant to what I do. And those who were going to violate coronavirus restrictions would have done so even if there had never been any demonstrations. They already were. Which is why I stay home.
JMO
That's why I stay home too.

If we compare numbers of non-compliance though, it isn't even close. How many actual anti-lockdown protests were there? Not that many and they were never very big. Mostly just extremists and a few dribble rabble.

There are millions of BLM protesters marching, across the nation, in every city, for weeks already.

There is no comparison , in the numbers. And the difference between the amount of potential impact, virally, is much much greater in the recent protests. If someone is chanting or shouting, the masks are not very effective. And spending many hours in a crowd, is very dangerous, in terms of the infection possibilities.

It is scheduled outdoors @5:30pm with dinner following.
The property I believe is 200 acres.
I just dont think the place is going to be operational. It's all inclusive, so everything but clothes, comes from them. I don't see this place taking the risk.
Who knows? It all makes me sad and anxious!
Moo

*** They bought a home in January 2019 and had a son in February 2019, so IF they have to wait, they can...
They have already paid for the venue around 12K-
^not something I would have recommended! It's not my life so...
Moo

12K for a wedding???? Crazy, I would put that towards my home. I know they want to celebrate because it is a joyous event but 12k!!!, blows my mind especially with so many people out of work. To each their own. I hope it is really nice for 12K,, beyond my comprehension.

Don't shoot me but weddings have become major productions. I understand the importance of weddings but I think they need to be scaled back. Why do you have to feed the guests? I know it is nice but why not a finger food reception. I paid for my own wedding so I guess I think cheap.. I hope the bride and groom have a wonderful life.

Last edited:
12K for a wedding???? Crazy, I would put that towards my home. I know they want to celebrate because it is a joyous event but 12k!!!, blows my mind especially with so many people out of work. To each their own. I hope it is really nice for 12K,, beyond my comprehension.

Don't shoot me but weddings have become major productions. I understand the importance of weddings but I think they need to be scaled back. Why do you have to feed the guests? I know it is nice but why not a finger food reception. I paid for my own wedding so I guess I think cheap.. I hope the bride and groom have a wonderful life.
I'm betting 12K is on the lower end for cost these days. Average people i know have been spending that amount for years. It is insane to me as well, but to each his own.

I just dont think the place is going to be operational. It's all inclusive, so everything but clothes, comes from them. I don't see this place taking the risk.
Moo

*** They bought a home in January 2019 and had a son in February 2019, so IF they have to wait, they can...
Moo

I’m in the same boat with our daughter getting married. They put down money last year to reserve the venue...they are paying for the majority of the wedding...therefore I feel like I really don’t have reason to balk at their decision. She does realize it could be postponed, I just don’t think she really wants to give up on it just yet. Makes me very anxious too.

My daughter and I were talking earlier and we were talking about Covid, and about how I’m considered a higher risk (age, HBP, etc.) and she mentioned that there were more young people dying than I thought. Her youngest patient that passed away was 25 year old male, he developed pneumonia and then later sepsis (hope sepsis is right, if I remember correctly.

I’m in the same boat with our daughter getting married. They put down money last year to reserve the venue...they are paying for the majority of the wedding...therefore I feel like I really don’t have reason to balk at their decision. She does realize it could be postponed, I just don’t think she really wants to give up on it just yet. Makes me very anxious too.

I can so understand how brides are feeling now, though. It is something many girls dream about their entire lives....and who would have thought “pandemic”. I hope your daughter ends up with a lovely day.

I am sick of this virus. My state is increasing like crazy in cases. I am afraid to go anyplace. I am lucky to be able to work from home but it is having its drawbacks. I don't want to complain too much since I still have a job. I was one that always cared about my appearance and my appearance is in the gutter. I keep telling myself that I am extremely lucky because I still have a job. I do miss my work place. I have a very strong work ethic and my spouse doesn't so it is hard to work from home. I hate complaining because I have a job but my spouse is making it hard for me to work. At the same time, I don't want to go back to the office because I am terrified. No good answers. 2020 has stunk so far this year.

When is it going to get better???

I don’t post here much anymore but I do read through every so often and this post really stood out, Kensie. I feel just the same way. Not just because I too have always cared about my appearance and wearing nice things when I’m out in meetings and now find myself living in sundresses and flip flops and I have beetle brows and a hairstyle a St.Bernard would be proud of...

I’m incredibly grateful to be able to work from home, but it would be nice to be able to go further than the garden or the postbox without worrying about this stinking virus. The whole rush to lift the restrictions, the chaotic way lockdown is being lifted, the way the Government appears to be in denial about the R rate significantly increasing in some areas (for example, an article in the Guardian this week mentioned the South West is now between 0.8 and 1.1) - all of this leaves me feeling nobody anywhere really has a grip on this. Economy before lives. Herd Immunity by another name. All IMO and I appreciate many of you have different views.

I have said for months now, the second wave is going to hit like a ton of bricks.
I still want to be wrong about that.

I don’t post here much anymore but I do read through every so often and this post really stood out, Kensie. I feel just the same way. Not just because I too have always cared about my appearance and wearing nice things when I’m out in meetings and now find myself living in sundresses and flip flops and I have beetle brows and a hairstyle a St.Bernard would be proud of...

I’m incredibly grateful to be able to work from home, but it would be nice to be able to go further than the garden or the postbox without worrying about this stinking virus. The whole rush to lift the restrictions, the chaotic way lockdown is being lifted, the way the Government appears to be in denial about the R rate significantly increasing in some areas (for example, an article in the Guardian this week mentioned the South West is now between 0.8 and 1.1) - all of this leaves me feeling nobody anywhere really has a grip on this. Economy before lives. Herd Immunity by another name. All IMO and I appreciate many of you have different views.

I have said for months now, the second wave is going to hit like a ton of bricks.
I still want to be wrong about that.

I so agree with your entire post @CeeCeeCat. We hope to be wrong, but I’m not too optimistic about the second wave. My husband takes walks wearing a mask and sees so many young ones without. He half joked the other day “They’re trying to kill us!” It feels like it’s gone from the snarky “OK Boomer” to “Stay home or die Boomer.” Ugh.

I’m afraid “beetle brows and a hairstyle a St. Bernard would be proud of” made me snort! :D I can relate! I’m retired and one of those content to stay home, but I am on Zoom a few times each week and although I’m among friends, I’m tired of feeling frumpy. Makeup helps, and at least my hair is already gray (or platinum as my hairdresser flatters me) and my brows have faded, but even snipping away at the front of my hair, it’s getting bushy. Oh well. As long as my dh and I can stay healthy it’s all good...for us. But I worry about extended family and everyone here and my heart aches for those who are sick or whose loved ones have died. :(

Got my hair "done" today.
I did ask that he not blow dry and "do" it. Just low lights to get rid of the sun burn blonde, shape and trim.
So, left with wet hair to shave off time.
Everyone had on masks. I sat outside instead of in the shop, while the darkener did it's job.
Watched workers sterilize the seats and hair washing bowls after each usage.
About 50% of normal occupancy.
This was the longest time I've been in a closed air conditioned room outside my home since late February.
Took nearly two hours. I do wish that they had the doors open.
However, nobody coughed or sneezed. So, there is that.
I really hate all of this.
People aren't smiling, chatting etc. Anywhere. I really miss the casual social interactions.
Yes, it's the smiling and chatting that I miss, too. The only three places I go are the dialysis clinic where I take Mr.Moon , the pharmacy, and the grocery. I used to enjoy conversations with people at all of those places . I'm now discouraged from waiting in the clinic except on very hot days.At the grocery and the pharmacy , people are so stressed that they are unable to be very friendly. It makes me feel sad.

GM declines request to shut down plant as cases of coronavirus grow, union says i hope this link works. This plant is close to where i live. What do you guys think?

From your link-
"For now GM has opted to aggressively prevent the disease from getting through the gates and to trace and track it if a workers does develop it.

Here are some other safety measures that GM has had in place at Wentzville:

• Continued social distancing on the assembly line.
  • Taking body temperatures before workers enter the plant.
  • Changed the plant's air temperature to keep it cool without having to use fans, which create crosswinds and could blow around germs.
  • Every break table has plexiglass dividers.
This is what it says they are doing. And they seem to have had a very low number so I think they are doing enough. 20 out of 4,100 is only .5%."

Last edited:
This is what it says they are doing. And they seem to have had a very low number so I think they are doing enough. 20 out of 4,100 is only .5%.

It always starts out as a low number. These close work environments are like breeding grounds for the virus to spread. Then they probably eat together, use the same bathrooms.

By the time there appears to be the signs of an outbreak, it is often too late to stop one from exploding. So if their tracking and tracing system worked as they say it will, then it won't get much beyond the current 20. Or at least not significantly more.

If they're wrong, and it becomes 40 and then 70, it will be far too late, and even shutting down then won't prevent double or triple that from eventually becoming infected, once the incubation period has run it's course. And that's not even including family/friends they came in contact with.

It always starts out as a low number. These close work environments are like breeding grounds for the virus to spread. Then they probably eat together, use the same bathrooms.

By the time there appears to be the signs of an outbreak, it is often too late to stop one from exploding. So if their tracking and tracing system worked as they say it will, then it won't get much beyond the current 20. Or at least not significantly more.

If they're wrong, and it becomes 40 and then 70, it will be far too late, and even shutting down then won't prevent double or triple that from eventually becoming infected, once the incubation period has run it's course. And that's not even including family/friends they came in contact with.
I just checked and Michigan cases have been 6,576 per million population, which is 13 cases per 2,000 statewide, so it seems the cases at the plant are currently below that state level. Below is the latest status on their opening.

Here’s What is Reopening in Michigan – and What is Still Closed

From your link-
"For now GM has opted to aggressively prevent the disease from getting through the gates and to trace and track it if a workers does develop it.

Here are some other safety measures that GM has had in place at Wentzville:

• Continued social distancing on the assembly line.
  • Taking body temperatures before workers enter the plant.
  • Changed the plant's air temperature to keep it cool without having to use fans, which create crosswinds and could blow around germs.
  • Every break table has plexiglass dividers.
This is what it says they are doing. And they seem to have had a very low number so I think they are doing enough. 20 out of 4,100 is only .5%."
Other vehicle assembly plants were not closed except for a deep cleaning, when they get a positive case or exposures - they close, clean, reopen. Deemed essential business.

They are probably running at least 2 shifts.
Think of the thousands of workers that have to stay six feet apart so they can have their temp checked (or thermal imaging) and clock or badge in. Do you know long that would take? Plus the workers get dinged if they clock in late.
They all share the same equipment, computers, tools, etc.
Noisy, pull down masks to talk, hearing loss in those environments is common, especially in the impact tool area (“rivet land”)
They go outside to a small area outside to smoke.
I’m surprised it hasn’t dramatically increased like the meat packing facilities.

Moo

Moo
Who knows what will happen in the next few months. I hate being afraid, first of the virus now violence.
I hope they can work it out, I would feel anxious and sad too.
What a world we live in now.

Parts of Beijing locked down after dozens of people test positive for Covid-19

DOZENS OF PEOPLE tested positive for Covid-19 in Beijing as parts of the city were locked down today after the emergence of a new cluster linked to a wholesale food market.

People were ordered to stay home at 11 residential estates in south Beijing’s Fengtai district and the nearby Xinfadi market was closed as authorities raced to contain the outbreak that has fuelled fears of a resurgence in local transmission.

Most of the six new domestic infections reported today were linked to the meat and vegetable market, the National Health Commission said.

But another 45 asymptomatic cases — which China counts separately — were detected after mass testing of nearly 2,000 workers at the market yesterday, city health official Pang Xinghuo later told reporters.

They have been placed under medical observation, Pang said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizz28