Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #60

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I may what is a canister bank? TIA

Here is the canister you pull out, put your stuff in, send it up through a chute into the bank...then they put your money or receipt back in it and send it back to you...a million hands touch that thing...

Attachments

• banking-drive-up-bank-machine-25915.jpg
    banking-drive-up-bank-machine-25915.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 25
God bless America. It was over 9,000 per day for him for the ICU. Not including use of the ventilator.

Can I just say, I haven’t seen a canister bank since the 80’s!! That is super cool! I loved those things when I was a kid.

You must be thinking of something else. Most banks have drive through service, and to even have drive through service you need those canisters that fly down the chute.

Banking: Drive Up Bank Machine.

Drive through canisters are at most banks and credit unions.

Last edited:
Sad part with these long term care homes is they are generally understaffed and not structurally designed to isolate. No appropriate PPE and training. Recipe for disaster. I wish we would hear more on what is being done right now "if" a second wave hits. Are any of us truly ready?

AFAIK, in many places they are still putting CV+ patients into buildings with CV- people.

It's not 'if,' it's when, IMO. And you are right to be concerned. And that's why the published papers predict a continued downward trend in life expectancy. And for the moderately to severely obese under-55's, more of them may end up in such homes for longterm care, as is happening now. But only 5% of us have had CV-19. In New York, of course, it's about 20%, so they have a bit more buffer, but most of us are still as vulnerable as we ever were.

Yes I fully expect a second wave. Given these spikes recently..........I hate to say it but I think for many it's going to be worse than the first.

Technically, IMO, in the States, in some places, we’re not even out of the first wave. Reopenings occurred in some places where numbers were not on the decline. So this is like “Part B” of the first wave, moo.

But yeah, fall and winter is unthinkable right now to me.

—-

Eta @Bravo:
Coronavirus Q&A: Are we in a second wave? Did protests fuel cases?

Are increasing cases in areas of the U.S. part of the 'second wave'?
This question assumes that the first wave is over. Data suggests that in the U.S. the first wave hasn't ended, it's just fluctuated since early April – with an average of 20,000 new confirmed cases every day, as this graph posted to Twitter by Dr. James Hamblin shows. About 1,000 Americans continue to die every day.

"The pandemic isn’t like everyone in the U.S. is on one single shore experiencing a single tsunami wave followed by another one," said Dr. Yonatan Grad, an assistant professor of immunology and infectious diseases, also at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. "The pandemic is made up of many local epidemics, each influenced by local mitigation efforts."

[...]

“A second wave, he said, "usually refers to a major resurgence of cases in the autumn that could strike all parts of the country more or less simultaneously, since viral respiratory pathogens are generally more transmissible in the autumn and winter." That was the pattern, he said, for flu pandemics in 1918 and 2009. "Transmission remained relatively well under control over the summer, but spiked again in September/October."

This seasonal pattern is what worries Dr. Michael Mina, an assistant professor of epidemiology at Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health. Cases of the common cold, which can also be caused by a coronavirus, typically dip this time of year.

"Right now, June, July and August, should be the absolute minimum in terms of when seasonal coronaviruses is usually seen," he said.

That's why he's so concerned that cases are remaining high. If this continues, he said, "we might see a massive burst of cases into the fall. That's a scary thought."“

Last edited:
COVID-19: Straight Answers from Top Epidemiologist Who Predicted the Pandemic - Blue Zones

This was posted above (apologies for not remembering who posted). But the very well qualified viral epidemiologist explains why a second wave will be worse. It's largely, I think, due to human behavior (the one variable he can't really theorize about).

When it does occur, people are already "over it" (the staying home) and it will have several different hotspots and radiate outward quickly. Schools won't close until cases occur, etc.

It's our "second phase" of handling things that will allow this, but it's hard to see a different path through it. The doctor/researcher in the article above thinks it'll be about 18 more months until 60% of us have had it (maybe longer). That's 180,000,000 Americans. The 5% rate of current CV+ people is a global number.

I don't think we know death rate numbers well enough to predict exactly how that will impact us, but it's likely a 0.5% case mortality rate - if someone has good numbers on that from publications, please share.

Surely we won't lose 900,000 people without doing something to pull back/shut down? Even if it's 450,000 more people, the longterm health consequences for the 30% of that 180,000,000 who need hospitalization is quite sobering. It's not going to help those very industries that are so eager to open right now, and we will at some point have to redirect vast amounts of resources toward healthcare.

If we were to invest in new jobs in contact tracing, this could be made better, but at this point, we've sealed our fate and have no choice but to face myriad CoVid victims in the next 2 years (there will be a tale), with ⅓ of them requiring hospitalization and 20% of those requiring ICU. Those outside the ICU include many, many people under the age of 55.

Since so many young people have never been in a hospital (much less isolated in a viral ward) for 21 days or so...it'll be quite the sobering experience for them.

It looks good on paper, right now, but let's give it a month before those of us who are vulnerable change anything we're doing.

Technically, IMO, in the States, in some places, we’re not even out of the first wave. Reopenings occurred in some places where numbers were not on the decline. So this is like “Part B” of the first wave, moo.

But yeah, fall and winter is unthinkable right now to me.

—-

Eta @Bravo
Coronavirus Q&A: Are we in a second wave? Did protests fuel cases?

Are increasing cases in areas of the U.S. part of the 'second wave'?
This question assumes that the first wave is over. Data suggests that in the U.S. the first wave hasn't ended, it's just fluctuated since early April – with an average of 20,000 new confirmed cases every day, as this graph posted to Twitter by Dr. James Hamblin shows. About 1,000 Americans continue to die every day.

"The pandemic isn’t like everyone in the U.S. is on one single shore experiencing a single tsunami wave followed by another one," said Dr. Yonatan Grad, an assistant professor of immunology and infectious diseases, also at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. "The pandemic is made up of many local epidemics, each influenced by local mitigation efforts."

[...]

“A second wave, he said, "usually refers to a major resurgence of cases in the autumn that could strike all parts of the country more or less simultaneously, since viral respiratory pathogens are generally more transmissible in the autumn and winter." That was the pattern, he said, for flu pandemics in 1918 and 2009. "Transmission remained relatively well under control over the summer, but spiked again in September/October."

This seasonal pattern is what worries Dr. Michael Mina, an assistant professor of epidemiology at Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health. Cases of the common cold, which can also be caused by a coronavirus, typically dip this time of year.

"Right now, June, July and August, should be the absolute minimum in terms of when seasonal coronaviruses is usually seen," he said.

That's why he's so concerned that cases are remaining high. If this continues, he said, "we might see a massive burst of cases into the fall. That's a scary thought."“

So, with 20,000 new cases daily (and a .5% death rate once CV is acquired), that's about half a million more people per month (when CoVid is at its lowest due to weather, outdoor opportunities and continued caution in many places). So 6 million annually. At that rate, it's gonna take a really long time to get to herd immunity. But if it goes up in September, as predicted, to way more cases per day (higher than at any previous point), it would be faster. But for it to be through 40% of the population at a rate of 40,000 new cases per day, it's still going to be a long, painful epidemic (the rest of the world will be able to bring rates down to near zero).

France's full weekend of opening starts today (I think today was the official "full day" of opening - but it's important to remember that many schools are still closed, as well as many restaurants that do not have outdoor seating - many of Paris's larger restaurants do not have outdoor seating, like Bofinger - still closed).

So people are packed shoulder to shoulder in outdoor cafés. A real world experiment in that form of transmission.

@HongKongPhooey

I wanted to check in and see how you’re doing-I know you posted you are having symptoms AGAIN and I meant to respond earlier.

I am sorry to hear this.

This is very important, IMO, because it serves as real data as to if someone can indeed be infected twice.

I posted an article a while back where this DID in fact happen.

Let me grab that. (Brb)
ETA:
13 USS Roosevelt Sailors Test Positive For COVID-19, Again
May 16, 2020

I hope you are feeling better, HKP!! Hoping to hear good news. :)

Last edited:
It's a chute you put a canister in that shoots to the teller and back. It's air driven.
They go either up above in a pneumatic tube system or down underground.
I think typical layout in the US is an ATM (perhaps a double stack) in the outer lane and one or two middle lanes with the tube system and the closest lane to the drive up window has a drawer that comes out.
Some CVS stores use a tube system.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/14/cuomo...wn-manhattan-hamptons-over-social-distancing/

Cuomo threatens to shut down Manhattan and the Hamptons over social distancing.
According to the article, this has to do with restaurants and bars-

This man’s continued commitment and responsible efforts are so respectable in my opinion. I appreciate his resilience to stay on the path proactively and keep working and fighting. He has approached his role with very strong leadership and dignity, IMO. I am confident that his immediate and serious attention to the matter helped play a very active role in changing the trajectory and improving the situation in NY, moo.

Last edited:
Here is the canister you pull out, put your stuff in, send it up through a chute into the bank...then they put your money or receipt back in it and send it back to you...a million hands touch that thing...
Every time I go to the bank there is one long line of cars for the drive up window. People generally avoided the canister line prior to this, but since COVID I haven’t seen a single soul in that line. The second teller always looks bored now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member