Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #64

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
America’s COVID warning system

What is unique about Arizona to cause it to have such a high positive test rate of 24%? The rates in Florida, Texas and California are "only" 15%, 13% and 6%, respectively. Arizona seems like such an outlier.

It suggests “dangerously low” testing rates in the article.

One thing I found interesting is “If all restrictions were completely lifted today, hospitals would overload on July 26, 2020.” Which does point to a 3+ week lag in admissions and subsequent deaths.

America’s COVID warning system

What is unique about Arizona to cause it to have such a high positive test rate of 24%? The rates in Florida, Texas and California are "only" 15%, 13% and 6%, respectively. Arizona seems like such an outlier.

Native Americans, primarily Navajo. The same "bump" is happening in Montana. Native Americans are 7% of the population in Montana, but 22% of the positive Covid cases.

I think that part of it is cultural. Living in multi-generational homes, poverty, lack of access to sanitation. But, my opinion, is that the culture just doesn't "get" the concept of "Social Distancing".

It is interesting, I have had the opportunity to work on several reservations, from Montana, Arizona, Florida, completely different tribes. But there is so much commonality in the "rez" mentality and culture.

Pence said he was instructing the acting Homeland Security secretary to provide another 500 medical personnel, after Arizona’s Govenor Ducey's request for extra help to combat the coronavirus.

Those doctors, nurses and personnel should arrive in the coming days, and will follow the additional 62 medical personnel who arrived in Tucson earlier this week to help efforts there.

The vice president announced that Arizona was among the states that would be supplied with remdesivir, the drug that helps some people with COVID-19 recover more quickly.

Pence is scheduled to return to Florida on Thursday to meet with Gov. Ron DeSantis in Tampa.

Vice President Mike Pence returns to Arizona as COVID-19 surges

As to the bolded above, that statement is not true. Maybe if it said 'Many' wore masks, and 'many' went straight home.

But I watched a lot of livestreams. Maybe dozens of livestreams, in another forum I am in.

I watched with my own eyes, vans and buses, that brought in many of the protesters, from neighbouring towns. They often traveled in groups. And I doubt they kept their masks on for the long drive home. They probably ate and drank inside the closed vehicles.

Also, many of the young protesters attended after parties together. And some have set up small tent cities in various parks etc, so that they can continue to march every day. I am pretty sure that would be an easy way for the virus to spread.

COVID-19 cases in Arizona set single-day records for new cases, reported deaths | AZ Big Media

New confirmed COVID-19 cases in Arizona set a single-day record with an increase of 4,878 on Wednesday, July 1, eclipsing the previous high set just one day earlier.

Total confirmed cases in Arizona stand at 84,092, according to data from the Arizona Department of Health Services. The other grim news coming out of Wednesday’s report were the 88 reported deaths, which eclipsed Arizona’s previous high of 87. There have been a total of 1,720 COVID-19 related deaths in the state.

Of Arizona’s 84,092 cases since the start of the pandemic in January, 20,118 cases — or nearly 25 percent — have come in the last seven days.

Some comments on herd immunity, vaccines and more:

June 29
Press briefings / source

“Constantine: (13:04)
Yes, yes, yes. Constantine [inaudible 00:00:13:09]. My press, Georgia. Thank you very much. My question is for Georgia is a country with small economy, but at the same time, we had good results of fighting the coronavirus. What will be the mechanism to get access to the vaccine that will be developed, I hope, with the support of the World Health Organization? Are there any other possibilities to achieve so-called health immunity besides vaccination? Thank you very much.

Dr. Michael Ryan: (13:46)
Good afternoon. We all hope, as you do, that we can reach a point where a safe and effective vaccine is developed and allocated fairly to countries around the world. As the Director-General has said in his speech, we don’t have that vaccine yet. And there’s a lot we can do now to suppress transmission. And I believe the Republic of Georgia has been doing well in this regard, both in terms of community engagement, in terms of suppression of transmission, and saving lives through adequate clinical care. But yes, we do hope that a vaccine will be developed. There have been over 133 candidates put into the system. A large number are now in clinical trials. The Director-General launched the ACT Accelerator in April as a means of leveraging global collaboration and innovation and funding, both for vaccines, drugs, and for diagnostics. The vaccines is probably the one that will absorb most resources and requires a very deep sustained public-private partnership.

It is the best means for countries to access the vaccine. And we have to find a way to ensure that regional alliances that are growing to develop contracts with companies for vaccines are linked to a global movement that ensures that those vaccines are made available to all countries. The GAVI, SEPI, and WHO are working together on Covax, the initiative for coronavirus vaccines, as part of that large advanced market commitments that are being put together in order to secure vaccine production.

There is no other means of achieving adequate herd immunity. The herd immunity is a term usually reserved for the use of vaccines. But we also have to be cautious and careful. We desperately hope, and we can see tremendous work towards, safe and effective vaccines. But there are no guarantees of such. And therefore, that’s why we have so many candidates in testing, so we have an opportunity to find the best one. But the only other way that a virus like this may be suppressed is by us breaking the chains of transmission. If you accept that you cannot do that, then the only option is to let this virus run free through society. And we have already seen the horrific impacts of that. And therefore, reducing mortality, suppressing transmission, while waiting for the arrival of a safe and effective vaccine right now is our best strategy for stopping this disease.

Dr. Tedros: (16:35)
Thank you. I just would like to … What my general said, Mike, herd immunity is very difficult even when we have vaccines because we need to have a high coverage of vaccine use to have herd immunity.

… vaccine use to have herd immunity, and Mike had already said it.

To be honest with you, I think it would be important to focus on what is at hand now. What is at hand now is the simple public health solution we have that many countries use to suppress the transmission and to save lives. I will give you one example, which is a country. South Korea. In February, I remember South Korea had the second largest number of cases after China. I spoke with the health minister, and the foreign minister came to Geneva to discuss with us in our headquarters here. We agreed on the comprehensive approach, and we agreed on implementing what’s on hand to save lives, and to suppress the transmission. And South Korea has shown to the world that, without even vaccines or therapeutics, that it can take the number of cases down, and suppress the outbreak.

So our message to the world is if the government can do its best in testing, contact tracing, isolating, quarantining cases like what South Korea did, and if the communities … Not only the government, but in addition to the government, the communities take their responsibility of doing what’s expected of them, starting from hand hygiene to the rest that can be done personally, this virus can be suppressed. Time after time, and country after country, what we have seen is this virus can be suppressed if the governments are serious about the things they have to do, their share, and if the community can do its share.

So while doing our best to find a vaccine, which is the right thing to do, our advice from WHO is we should do everything we can using the tools we have at hand. Because many countries, including the one example, Korea … I can give you a list of countries … Have shown that this virus can be suppressed and controlled using the tools at hand. So the basics are still important, and the basics are non-pharmaceutical. And they have shown their efficiency and effectiveness in controlling or suppressing this virus.

The reason I’m stressing this is the virus is spreading aggressively. It’s very tragic to report to you that we have already surpassed the 10 million cases, and have a million deaths. Still, this could have been prevented through the tools that we have at hand. And, please, focus on the tools at hand. Of course, we appreciate the investment you’re doing in finding more technology, vaccines, and therapeutics, but that should be in addition to the maximum use of the tools at hand. And these are the simple solutions that the government can do and the public can do. And we have already outlined those.

So that’s our message. It’s six months since the virus started. It could be like a broken record, to say exactly the same thing, but the same thing works. Test, trace, isolate, and quarantine cases. That’s for the government to do. And, second, hand hygiene for each individual. Of course, wearing masks, and the other things that can be done, social distancing, at individual level. It works, and save lives. And that’s still our message. But, of course, we should look for vaccines and the rest, but the simple and basic public health works, and that’s what we’re saying. Thank you.

Last edited:
Play Ball!
Florida Reports 15% Positive Coronavirus Test Rate As NBA, MLS, WNBA Set To Arrive
The state of Florida reported 6,563 new coronavirus cases Wednesday morning, with the positive rate up over 15%. This news comes as the NBA and MLS are set to arrive in Orlando to play matches at Disney World this month. The WNBA will report to the IMG Academy in Bradenton.

The ESPN Wide World of Sports, where the NBA and MLS will both resume play this season in their respective bubbles, and Disney resides in Orange and Osceola Counties. In Osceola, the positive test rate reported on Wednesday was 18.2%, more than twice as high as the 7% national average, heightening our previous concerns about sports in Florida.

As MLS begins its tournament on July 8, The Athletic is reporting that six players from FC Dallas tested positive just eight days before it’s set to play its first game. Though no other players in the bubble reported positive tests, which means the plans of isolation seem to be working right now, it underscores how COVID-19 can spread rapidly through a group and how games between two teams need to be vigorously monitored. Four teams, Chicago Fire, Inter Miami, New York Red Bulls and Nashville SC are all slated to arrive in Orlando on Wednesday, but Nashville pushed its flight back after reportedly having a positive test on Tuesday.

The NBA will test players every day and use devices like the Oura smart ring to try and prevent the type of community spread

Last edited:
As to the bolded above, that statement is not true. Maybe if it said 'Many' wore masks, and 'many' went straight home.

But I watched a lot of livestreams. Maybe dozens of livestreams, in another forum I am in.

I watched with my own eyes, vans and buses, that brought in many of the protesters, from neighbouring towns. They often traveled in groups. And I doubt they kept their masks on for the long drive home. They probably ate and drank inside the closed vehicles.

Also, many of the young protesters attended after parties together. And some have set up small tent cities in various parks etc, so that they can continue to march every day. I am pretty sure that would be an easy way for the virus to spread.
I watched several live streams too. While many of them did wear masks, they pulled them down when they stood in front of the cops faces they were screaming their vulgarities at. One only needs to look at the pic you posted up thread to see what I mean. I'm disappointed that they weren't required to stand at least 6 feet back from cops while they screamed their fool heads off.

I didn't close any beaches. My guess is, when beaches were open, too many people packed into those beaches like sardines. They also have to use the facilities. And eat and drink.
Right....just like the protest marches.And yet the press keeps declaring that the protests did not spread the virus at all. But they were also packed like sardines, and they also needed to use the facilities, and needed to eat and drink...

I don't understand why some cities are having parades, rodeos, and fireworks and some cities have cancelled everything.

It doesn't have to do with Covid rate here. It seems just random and hit or miss.

That’s so discouraging for GA! Our daughter and her husband are trying to decide what to do about their move from San Diego to Atlanta, postponed from April to September by her corporate employer. She can wait until January if she wants to, but they’re excited about the move and eager to get there. And San Diego cases are increasing, plus with L.A. bars closed, she’s sure they will come to San Diego to their bars, adding to their cases. They’re almost 50 and she said they’re trying not to make a “silly” decision and asked for “Mom advice.” Awwwwww...:)

I told her that I knew they would weigh all the issues carefully and assess their risk...and to pour a glass of wine and breath (unless corporate needs a decision yesterday!). I suggested a list of questions to ask themselves, but said that if they decide they are comfortable going in September and dealing with whatever is happening then (so unpredictable), realizing it could be worse than it is now, that they wouldn’t get any flack from us. I haven’t heard yet what they’ve decided.

Thoughts? :(
Do they have to live in metro Atlanta? Or can they live in a neighboring county?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TawnyTRC