Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #65

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Without fans, a game at the Field of Dreams is pointless, IMO. Plus, they want those ticket sales. We'll see, I guess.
@24Roses
Old article, but here’s why I think they need fans. They built a temporary field with 8,000 seats just for this. That’s a lot of money for no ticket sales to happen. That’s a lot of temporary seats built for no one to sit on, and to just be dismantled.

Field Of Dreams In Iowa Preparing To Host White Sox Vs. Yankees Game In August; 'It’s Going To Be Surreal For Us'

What kind of masks? I bought KN95, likely not up to standards, but I think they are still better than regular cloth masks. For one, they provide a better fit. They also can be tested by several tests. I did water tests on mine and they hold water just fine. Obviously a doctor or a nurse in a hospital shouldn't wear those masks if they are not up to the standards, but I still think they are better than cloth masks regular folks are supposed to wear.
I didn't mean to cause alarm (I'm sorry :(). The box of masks I bought for my car did not fit me well. I was unable to form it over my nose and the ear straps were too large. Basically, it is more like a nose hammock, lol! Air takes the path of least resistance, so every breath I took came from the gap between the top of the mask and my face ... not good.

I'm a big proponent of social distancing, wearing masks, and sometimes being just plain anti-social. But I have trouble with the beach thing. My sense, based on zero scientific evidence, is that the virus gets easily diluted and disappates
in that type of environment. Not to mention, my father-in-law, God rest his soul, always said that salt water cures everything (well at least poison ivy). I also heard it's gonna be hot as heck in the south this weekend - so what's the alternative - everyone socializes indoors where the A/C will re-circulate all those germs? I say keep the beaches open, stay on your own blanket, and keep 6 feet from strangers.

I was just listening to the news. They're recommending people stay home this July 4. Avoid going to family gatherings and parties. With the big new surge in cases, its not a good idea to be out mingling with groups. If we don't want to still be quarantining this same time next year, we have to make a sacrifice this year.

Imagine if the ACA was struck down right now, which some people are currently asking the Supreme Court to do - with no replacement. Would that mean anyone who has a pre-existing condition like diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, asthma, blood clotting disorder, cancer etc could hypothetically be denied health insurance during this global pandemic? And if they survived and recovered from Covid-19 would that become a 'pre-existing condition' that could deny them coverage in the future?

Yes to both questions, because that was American before the ACA.

Some states may regulate health insurance in a more progressive manner, but nationwide, it would no longer be law that pre-existing conditions must be covered.

If it's overturned, it's a disaster for so many.

I wonder how they choose between two 26 year old mothers ...

They idea is that they won't - they'll simply exclude a 59 year old with an 18 year who needs her. They will always use age as the shaver, IMO.

Hopefully, they'll never have to use it. In New York, they did have to use some of their algorithm, is my understanding, which is why some people were denied ICU beds - 90 year olds with multiple underlying conditions; I've seen youtubes where NYC hospital personnel say 80 year olds who were already frail and in longterm care were excluded ICU beds - perhaps some day we'll know for sure, someone will certainly write a book.

That's why @SoCalDavidS has mentioned Soylent Green (Dave, if that wasn't you - I apologize! But if it was - you have a fine sense of humor).

If triage is based on dependents, you are absolutely right that many grandparents are raising the children of their own grown kids. My husband had many parent-teacher conferences with grandparents. It’s not that simple.

Frankly, I think "age of dependents" will be a key factor. If it did come down to 2 26 year old women, each with the same number of children, I suspect that the one with the younger children would get to the ICU first, with the other one in line for the next bed.

I really hope it doesn't come to that, but frankly, this past week has made me question my optimism.

To be fair, how many protests were there, actually , in response to the lockdown. There were two, very short ones, that got a lot of airtime. But not many overall.

And certainly nothing like the last 30 days of nationwide marches which are still going on and overwhelming our police departments and city resources.

One can in fact see evidence of them, and the comments made about them and the possibility of their epidemiological spread as deemed newsworthy at the time, by dint of searching for "anti stay at home protests", like below:

anti stay at home protests - بحث Google

Wow, just finished up June 29 PC.
Must watch:

Press briefings

—-

Last part of PC / very, very passionate words from Dr. Mike and Dr. Maria in response to the last question asked by a reporter - worth a watch/listen in person imo, as is the whole conference. If you guys have some spare time, I really recommend it.

Again, words can’t even come close to expressing my respect for these people, and how much they inspire me and how much I learn from them and how much I appreciate them.

Last edited:
why are they worthless? did you catch the virus?
While out shopping, I grabbed a box just to keep in my car. They were cheap surgical masks that didn't have the piece that fits it around my nose.

When you inhale, air will try to find the path of least resistance to get into your body. If there are gaps between your face and the mask, the air will go around the mask rather than through it, therefore negating the benefits. The goal is for the air to go through the mask, not around it.

A good fitting mask also helps to avoid frequently readjusting, which can lead to cross-contamination.

Attachments

• Mask fitting.jpg
    Mask fitting.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 9
I'm a big proponent of social distancing, wearing masks, and sometimes being just plain anti-social. But I have trouble with the beach thing. My sense, based on zero scientific evidence, is that the virus gets easily diluted and disappates
in that type of environment. Not to mention, my father-in-law, God rest his soul, always said that salt water cures everything (well at least poison ivy). I also heard it's gonna be hot as heck in the south this weekend - so what's the alternative - everyone socializes indoors where the A/C will re-circulate all those germs? I say keep the beaches open, stay on your own blanket, and keep 6 feet from strangers.

Not so fast friend. Lest you think anything is safe this article was posted a while back:

That concerns Kim Prather, a scientist who studies the chemistry of the atmosphere at Scripps Institution of Oceanography. She’s worried about the potential for the virus to become airborne near the ocean.​

In her research, Prather has found that the ocean churns up all kinds of particulate and microscopic pathogens, and every time the ocean sneezes with a big wave or two, it sprays these particles into the air. She believes that this new coronavirus is light enough to float through the air much farther than we think.“All the rules for six-foot social distancing when you’re at the beach do not apply,” Prather said.​

If it’s windy, the exhaled virus will travel farther than six feet. That rule only applies for still air or indoors, Prather said. If a surfer is exhaling, the virus in those droplets could remain airborne and infectious for hours, she said.
She suspected this virus was contagious by air, and knew from past studies that coronaviruses can be excreted in fecal matter.

She worries SARS-CoV-2 could enter the ocean from sewage spills and outfalls, and then reenter the atmosphere.​

Scientists are unsure of coronavirus effects at the beach

More about the much discussed fecal/oral transmission route:

There is also reporting that speculated on the potential for the virus to become aerosolized in sea spray when polluted waterways are actively churned or agitated (such as when a wave breaks), but this is currently unsubstantiated and just speculative since we don’t know if the virus is infectious in raw sewage, or how it behaves after “exposure to air, sunlight, and water”. This concern was also discussed on an April 16 webinar from the Water Research Foundation, where researchers note that while the risks of getting sick with COVID-19 from exposure to polluted coastal aerosols are still unknown, untreated wastewater and sewage could include other substances beyond feces, such as saliva and mucus carrying the infectious COVID-19 virus, which may pose a risk to coastal recreators. But yet again, additional research is needed to confirm. Specific to aerosolized sewage, previous concerns were voiced in a 2009 study regarding the 2003 SARS-CoV outbreak, a virus closely related to the COVID-19 virus. Authors mention an instance where SARS-CoV “was spread when water contaminated with fecally shed virus was inhaled, causing respiratory infection” due to a faulty plumbing system in a Hong Kong apartment building.
The Beach and COVID-19: Understanding the Risks

Just imo​

Wow / This is a very, very important opening message- I’m half way through the opening remarks for today’s Press Conference / had to come over and post transcript, but better viewed/listened to in person if you can:

Press briefings

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 1 July 2020 - Detail
1 July 2020

“Good morning, good afternoon and good evening.

More than 10.3 million cases of COVID-19 have now been reported to WHO, and more than 506,000 deaths.

For the past week, the number of new cases has exceeded 160,000 on every single day.

60% of all cases so far have been reported just in the past month.

We will never get tired of saying that the best way out of this pandemic is to take a comprehensive approach.

Find, isolate, test and care for every case, trace and quarantine every contact, equip and train health workers and educate and empower communities to protect themselves and others.

Not testing alone. Not physical distancing alone. Not contact tracing alone. Not masks alone. Do it all.

Countries that have adopted this comprehensive approach have suppressed transmission and saved lives.

Flare-ups are to be expected as countries start to lift restrictions.

But countries that have the systems in place to apply a comprehensive approach should be able to contain these flare-ups locally and avoid reintroducing widespread restrictions.

However, we are concerned that some countries have not used all the tools at their disposal and have taken a fragmented approach.

These countries face a long, hard road ahead.

But one of the lessons of the pandemic is that no matter what situation a country is in, it can be turned around. It’s never too late.

As you know, in March, Italy and Spain were the epicenter of the pandemic. At the peak of its epidemic, Spain had almost 10,000 cases a day, and Italy had more than 6,500 cases.

But both countries brought their epidemics under control with a combination of leadership, humility, active participation by every member of society, and implementing a comprehensive approach.

Both countries faced a daunting situation, but turned it around.

The fastest way out of this pandemic is to follow the science and do what we know works: the comprehensive approach.

Today and tomorrow, WHO is holding a second research and innovation forum, bringing together more than 1000 scientists from all over the world to take stock of the progress made so far, to discuss new research questions and knowledge gaps, and to define research priorities for the remainder of this year and beyond.

Research and innovation have played a vital role since the beginning of the pandemic – and even before.

In January, WHO published the first protocol for PCR testing for the new coronavirus.

In February, we brought together hundreds of researchers from around the world to identify research priorities.

In March, we launched the Solidarity Trial, a large international study to find answers about which therapeutics are the most effective.

And in April, with the European Commission and multiple other partners we launched the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator, to catalyse the development and equitable allocation of vaccines, diagnostics and therapeutics.

This pandemic is a scientific challenge, but it is also a test of character. We must act in the interests of global solidarity and our shared humanity.

We have a shared responsibility to ensure that all people have access to the tools to protect themselves, especially those who are most at risk.

===

Although the pandemic is global, there are differences in the experience and approach of each region and country.

Over the next few weeks, we plan to feature a different region regularly, to highlight the challenges in different parts of the world, and the lessons we are learning.

Today we’re starting with the Eastern Mediterranean region – comprising much of the Middle East and North Africa – which is the third-most affected region globally, after the Americas and Europe.

Today I’m delighted to be joined by Dr Ahmad Al-Mandhari, WHO’s Regional Director for the Eastern Mediterranean, and Dr Rick Brennan, the Director of the WHO Health Emergencies Programme for the region, to talk about their experience and challenges.

Dr Al-Mandhari and Dr Brennan, welcome to both of you, and thank you for your time today. Dr Al-Mandhari, you have the floor.”

Last edited:
I keep reading comments on the Internet by people saying: “80% have mild or no symptoms. 3% die. This isn’t that big of a deal. I don’t need to socially distance and I won’t wear a mask.”

How much do you want to bet most of them play the lottery?

“According to Lottery USA, the odds of winning the Mega Millions jackpot are 1 in 302.6 million and the odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are 1 in 292.2 million. Combine those two and the odds of winningboth jackpots for more than a billion dollars comes out to 1 in 88 quadrillion.”
VERIFY: There's only one way to increase your lottery odds and your chances are still basically zero

Yeah, it's not good here in California. I don't know what people are thinking. Interestingly, in my county, while we had 180 new cases yesterday (and ~135 per day for 3 days before that), we had been at 20-30 cases per day for a long time...almost none of the new cases were in the over-65 population. Way higher numbers of cases in children (there were few cases in kids until end of last week).

Biggest increase was in the 25-44 group, as predicted. With almost no elderly in the ICU, we still had an increase in use of ICU beds (up from 14 to 32, in just one week). We've averaged about 10-15 ICU beds per day since beginning of April, so 32 is significant (but no where near capacity yet).

We are now doubling our cases about every 10 days, and the rest of California has faster doubling rates (8 days in Marin County as the virus has escaped San Quentin and is now going into community spread - affecting a couple of different counties). San Quentin is interesting, as it was virus free until they transferred prisoners from another facility where cases were rising - they think only one man had it. Now 600 have it and rising (and something like 100 staff).

Today on my bike ride I rode past a jogger and he coughed, I felt like in an exaggerated manner. Maybe I’m paranoid but I feel like he was annoyed that I was wearing a mask and wanted to scare me.

I hang one around my neck and when I pad people I put it on and then take it off when I’m away from them.

Wow score:

This is just part of what I was looking for, partial transcript of June 26 re: COVAX, ACT Accelerator, etc...

Again, if you’re interested in the vaccine aspect, watch the full PC, it is intense and very educational. Look at the $ involved :eek: This race is unprecedented. Listen to them talk about this. Can’t even begin to paraphrase. The amount of time it normally takes to develop a vaccine.

See June 26 Full PC on Vaccines:
Press briefings

These are the opening remarks only / see above link to learn about the “pillars”:

“Thank you, Bruce.

Good morning, good afternoon and good evening.

Yesterday, we celebrated the end of the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Many of the same public health measures that have been successful in stopping Ebola – like case-finding, isolation, testing, contact tracing and respectful care – are the same measures that countries are now deploying against COVID-19.

But we have also had a tool in the fight against Ebola that we do not yet have for COVID-19: an effective vaccine.

Without it, there is no doubt we would have had more cases, and more deaths.

It’s clear that to bring COVID-19 under control, and to save lives, we need effective vaccines, diagnostics and therapeutics – in unprecedented quantities and at unprecedented speed.

And it’s clear that because all people are at risk of COVID-19, all people should have access to all the tools to prevent, detect and treat it – not only those who can afford to pay for them.

Two months ago, I joined President Emmanuel Macron, President Ursula von der Leyen and Melinda Gates to launch the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator - a global initiative between multiple partners to ensure equitable access to life-saving tools for COVID-19.

Ahead of a major pledging event tomorrow led by the European Commission and Global Citizen in support of the ACT Accelerator, I’m delighted to be here today to announce further details about how the ACT Accelerator is working, and how we are ensuring that together, we live up to the commitments we have made.

The principle of equitable access is a simple thing to say, but a complicated thing to implement – it requires active collaboration between governments, industry, health organizations, civil society organizations, and communities.

Vaccines, diagnostics and therapeutics are vital tools – but to be truly effective they must be administered with another essential ingredient, which is solidarity.

I thank you.
WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the ACT Accelerator launch - 26 June 2020

Link to full must watch conference on vaccines / what is happening right now
See June 26:
Press briefings

Last edited:
While out shopping, I grabbed a box just to keep in my car. They were cheap surgical masks that didn't have the piece that fits it around my nose.

When you inhale, air will try to find the path of least resistance to get into your body. If there are gaps between your face and the mask, the air will go around the mask rather than through it, therefore negating the benefits. The goal is for the air to go through the mask, not around it.

A good fitting mask also helps to avoid frequently readjusting, which can lead to cross-contamination.

The way you can’t try to at least make them fit better is to take a twist tie and pull the elastic ear loops tighter with a twist tie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member