DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
France's ex-PM faces probe into Covid-19 response

News from France.

Catalonia renews strict Covid controls on 210,000

News from Spain

What do global death patterns reveal about the UK?

Europe roundup and comparisons.

"The mortality data are pretty robust, and now that we have a good period of at least 11 weeks over which we can make these comparisons, they are really worth making, and it's also very timely", says Professor John Muellbauer, an Oxford University economist and co-author of a paper surveying many different types of comparison.

The most fundamental question about the number of UK deaths, specifically from the coronavirus, and more broadly during the pandemic period, is whether it was inevitable there would be more than 50,000 registered deaths, and 65,000 more deaths than normal during the first wave of this pandemic, up until mid-June.

_113150781_optimised-table-faisal-nc.png

While it could have been worse, the level of deaths in the UK - adjusted for population and for the normal level of deaths - stands out compared with its G7 counterparts.

Within Europe, Spain - on these measures - has fared worse than the UK as a whole so far, but England and Spain have had similar hits, with England marginally worse on the more sophisticated measure. It is unarguable that the UK - and England in particular - is at the rough end of international comparisons of similar countries during the pandemic. The question is why?

Some of this might be down to population structure, and the general health of the population. A London effect, of having a densely populated global mega-city, is clearly important, but these comparisons factor some of that in. Even when you take into account the fact that both England and the UK have younger populations than Spain, our death figures still come out as bad or worse, according to the independent charity, the Health Foundation.

The speed and effectiveness of the initial government response can clearly be questioned, particularly as regards care homes. Another factor is the immediate geographical spread to all corners of the UK. The UK did not have the testing or tracing capacity to deal with a novel virus such as this. But if the virus was introduced to the UK en masse by the return of February half term holidaymakers from Italy and Spain, that simultaneous introduction of the virus in hundreds of towns, cities and villages, might have overwhelmed even the feted German system.

UK and Italy
A fundamental question is how the UK - and England in particular - has had a worse outbreak than Italy so far, despite having had two or three weeks extra notice of Covid-19 arriving from Italy.

For example, there have been 65 Covid-19 deaths per 100,000 population in the UK, compared with 58 in Italy.

_113150777_optimised-covid_100k-faisal-nc.png

Furthermore, when it comes to excess deaths, the UK has recorded 97 per 100,000 population, while Italy has seen 75.

More at link.

Last edited:
“As Trump and Pence resume regular travel schedules after months of pandemic-induced lockdown, the risks posed to the large contingent of US Secret Service personnel who accompany them have become obvious as roughly two dozen agents -- if not more -- have tested positive for the virus, sources familiar with the situation said.
The health peril has emerged as a sore point for many within the agency, where sources describe a heightened sense of anxiety and anger over being put at what some view as senseless risk. One agency source said there is "growing anger and frustration" among some in the Secret Service at what they consider to be "unnecessary trips and exposure" because of Trump and Pence's travel.

"Even ardent Trump supporters are fed up," one agency source said. "We signed up to take a bullet for him, we did not sign up to get sick for him for no good reason."”
Margarita... can you post an article.... I didn't realize this frustration and would like to read more.

I have read several articles about the long lasting effects on survivors: i think because the virus is so new they don't know if these effects will be long term or will eventually go away; after reading these articles I was left in tears ---this virus is evil-- the damage it does to organ systems in the body is horrible. Of course everybody is different, so not everybody will experience all of these effects. I think if the covidiots were forced to read about this they would wear a mask- you would do anything you could to avoid this disease.
This is very true..so many have been lulled into thinking it's a one and done. The profound long term effects are something to fear in my opinion.

I'm in Florida. My family is in Georgia. My husband's family is split between Alabama and another area of Florida. Our restaurants started reclosing as fast as they opened. We have restaurants closing for the duration now. My preferred grocery store has positive employees. I shop the minute they open, every two weeks. People not wearing masks smirk at those of us who do. Nextdoor is a terrible window into who people are. I have health conditions as do my husband, one son and my daughter-in-law. I have a 2-year old granddaughter and a brand spanking new (9 days old!) grandson. What a world to be born into.

My county --with much lower case numbers than many Florida counties, is in chaos, trying to figure out what they can, should, can't, and maybe might do....

Florida has virtually no contact tracing, hides the death numbers and has leadership that continually denies fault, but finds blame.

My county is at 100% full hospital beds, and neighboring large county (Jacksonville area) is OVER 20% infection rate, with a huge shortage of testing.

For us here.... it is like a hurricane is coming. We are sitting looking at bright sun and blue skies.... but we know it is coming.

This is very true..so many have been lulled into thinking it's a one and done. The profound long term effects are something to fear in my opinion.

I agree...one of the big unknowns. I am fully expecting full blown PTSD with our healthcare workers, but from some of the doctors I am following, we are likely to see permanent heart and lung damage even with younger folks.

Margarita... can you post an article.... I didn't realize this frustration and would like to read more.

At least eight Secret Service agents are currently holed up in a hotel in Phoenix, some suffering the flu-like coronavirus symptoms after coming down with the disease while preparing for a visit by Vice President Mike Pence.

Last month, up to 15 agents who tested positive for the virus loaded into cars and drove themselves home, avoiding flights after becoming infected while preparing for President Donald Trump's campaign rally.

At least 8 Secret Service agents stuck in Phoenix with coronavirus after Pence trip

Though the publicly released number of agents who tested positive while working at the Tulsa rally is two, a source familiar with the matter said the actual number is closer to 15.

The Secret Service agents were tested in Tulsa on June 19, one day before the rally, and those who tested positive received their results within 48 hours -- meaning some or all could have been at the rally itself without knowing they had tested positive.

Last edited:
Would we not all agree that 2020 is an exceptional year? That things need to be done differently this year?
I am not enjoying my travel limitations ... not being able to return to your country to visit friends and family.
But I get that it is an exceptional year.

I fear that this exceptional year is going to turn into an exceptional 3 years, if things keep going this way.

The herd immunity that the leaders seem to be shooting for is a long, long way off ... if at least 43% (low estimate) of the population need to be contaminated.

Oh! I so agree with you... 2020 will go down in history as being such an exceptional year!!!

One statement I received--(I do forget who it was) said it this way.
2020 started off like 1974, then we moved to 1918, then 1968, then 1929, and who knows what else for the second half of the year?

This statement is very American so I will fill in with clues for our international WSers....
1974--impeachment of Richard Nixon
1918--Influenza Pandemic
1968--Civil Rights Marches, and resolutions
1929--Stock Market/Economic
Would we not all agree that 2020 is an exceptional year? That things need to be done differently this year?
I am not enjoying my travel limitations ... not being able to return to your country to visit friends and family.
But I get that it is an exceptional year.

I fear that this exceptional year is going to turn into an exceptional 3 years, if things keep going this way.

The herd immunity that the leaders seem to be shooting for is a long, long way off ... if at least 43% (low estimate) of the population need to be contaminated.

And Herd Immunity is greatly misunderstood. I think some folks want to believe we are experiencing this now, but as common, people who think this do so without any true scientific understanding of how herd immunity is established.

I truly hope all our US friends make the safe best of this .. your Independence Day.

Please take a moment during your day to remember all the citizens who will die today, not fighting for Independence, but fighting for their lives. And all of the medical staff who will be right there with them, fighting with them.

I sincerely hope that by next Independence Day, things will be hugely better .... for everyone. ❤️

Oh! I so agree with you... 2020 will go down in history as being such an exceptional year!!!

One statement I received--(I do forget who it was) said it this way.
2020 started off like 1974, then we moved to 1918, then 1968, then 1929, and who knows what else for the second half of the year?

This statement is very American so I will fill in with clues for our international WSers....
1974--impeachment of Richard Nixon
1918--Influenza Pandemic
1968--Civil Rights Marches, and resolutions
1929--Stock Market/Economic

And Herd Immunity is greatly misunderstood. I think some folks want to believe we are experiencing this now, but as common, people who think this do so without any true scientific understanding of how herd immunity is established.
Could you explain how herd immunity is established? I thought that is part of what is happening in the states now. Ie R10 instead of R<1

Last edited:
Yes, I will try to give you some links. But I am not going to debate them. Their culture is not easy to explain if a person is not familiar with it.
Funerals and celebrations are likely the weakest point, I think.
Organisations that assist them are trying to educate them of the dangers, and best ways to avoid the virus, but they continue to knowingly go their own way when specific cultural ways are important to them.

Some Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders have told the ABC they feared coronavirus but following restrictions meant they were not fulfilling their cultural obligations.
"It's our culture, it's our way, it's our Aboriginal way," Cr Geia said.
'Sorry business': Why Indigenous funerals are breaking social distancing rules

Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and remote communities
https://www.indigenous.gov.au/news-...g-and-sharing-culture-while-social-distancing

The Jewish community in New York City also had cultural obligations and the Mayor would not let them have their funerals, so it applies to other groups as well. Also many Christian groups were prevented from fulfilling their obligations, so it is similar here in the U.S. as you describe among some groups in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214