Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #65

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand. You did what was required for three months and now you are coming out. And yet you seem to argue that those in the U.S. who are not doing what is required are justified. I'm so confused.
Which posts are you referring to? It could help if you reply to the ones you want me to address.

Yes, I will try to give you some links. But I am not going to debate them. Their culture is not easy to explain if a person is not familiar with it.
Funerals and celebrations are likely the weakest point, I think.
Organisations that assist them are trying to educate them of the dangers, and best ways to avoid the virus, but they continue to knowingly go their own way when specific cultural ways are important to them.

Some Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders have told the ABC they feared coronavirus but following restrictions meant they were not fulfilling their cultural obligations.
"It's our culture, it's our way, it's our Aboriginal way," Cr Geia said.
'Sorry business': Why Indigenous funerals are breaking social distancing rules

Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and remote communities
https://www.indigenous.gov.au/news-...g-and-sharing-culture-while-social-distancing

It is my opinion, that tonight the gathering of people at Mount Rushmore is a protest.
Their will be people yelling and in close proximity.
However, unlike many previous "protests of the last 6 weeks".
As, vocal and angered as they will be.

#1. No one will spit in a policeman's face.
#2. No one will throw bottles and other devices to hurt anyone.
#3. No one will call names at the police
#4. No one will burn any businesses down.
#5. No one in this group of protestors will try to destroy any statues.
#6. No one will loot ANY stores
#7. No one will go into residential and threaten the residents who live there.
#8. No one will jump on any car and threaten it's occupants
#9. Nobody will be burning the America flag.
#10. No group will form to block roads and highways, trapping terrified people in their cars with no way out.
Absolutely. My Opinion.
Happy July 4th to ALL Americans.
Sincerely, Kali

Happy July 4th to you Kali and everyone. I didn't get to watch the fireworks as it was too late for me so I will catch up on you tube hopefully.

Yes, I will try to give you some links. But I am not going to debate them. Their culture is not easy to explain if a person is not familiar with it.
Funerals and celebrations are likely the weakest point, I think.
Organisations that assist them are trying to educate them of the dangers, and best ways to avoid the virus, but they continue to knowingly go their own way when specific cultural ways are important to them.

Some Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders have told the ABC they feared coronavirus but following restrictions meant they were not fulfilling their cultural obligations.
"It's our culture, it's our way, it's our Aboriginal way," Cr Geia said.
'Sorry business': Why Indigenous funerals are breaking social distancing rules

Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and remote communities
https://www.indigenous.gov.au/news-...g-and-sharing-culture-while-social-distancing
Thanks for the links. I will call my relatives later and will ask them too.

“As Trump and Pence resume regular travel schedules after months of pandemic-induced lockdown, the risks posed to the large contingent of US Secret Service personnel who accompany them have become obvious as roughly two dozen agents -- if not more -- have tested positive for the virus, sources familiar with the situation said.
The health peril has emerged as a sore point for many within the agency, where sources describe a heightened sense of anxiety and anger over being put at what some view as senseless risk. One agency source said there is "growing anger and frustration" among some in the Secret Service at what they consider to be "unnecessary trips and exposure" because of Trump and Pence's travel.

"Even ardent Trump supporters are fed up," one agency source said. "We signed up to take a bullet for him, we did not sign up to get sick for him for no good reason."”
So the not so Secret Service are speaking out. Doesn't sound good.

Ohhhh. No wonder you aren't experiencing many cases in your area. You've been in lockdown. Serious, for real lockdown, and you and other residents there have been complying. And therefore, your area has got COVID-19 under control.

We here in the U.S. have not been on serious, for real lockdown, though some areas were on mandatory shutdown. And many areas were on strongly suggested stay-home orders that weren't enforced and were only complied with by some of the people. And therefore, our areas do not have COVID-19 under control.

I live in an area that is in BIG, BIG trouble right now. BIG, BIG, BIG trouble. We need people to take charge and to enforce orders to keep us safe, because there are enough people that live here not wearing masks and not social distancing, and there are enough tourists who came as soon as our beaches opened, that while we weren't in trouble a few weeks ago, we are now. And those people who live here who insist that masks = tyranny or that masks don't work or that masks will give you CO2 poisoning . . . well what can I say? You live where people did what they were asked to do in order to contain COVID-19. I don't. You are safe. I am not. You will be able to go out on Monday. I will not. I'm allowed to, mind you. I've been allowed to the whole time, but I haven't been, because it isn't safe.
I found your post replying to mine. The whole of our country was in lockdown together whether we lived in a high case area or low case area. That was important to restrict the travel between areas and helped contain it. The sheer size of the US and having to leave it to the individual governors and mayors has made the control in the US virtually impossible. Your situation is similar to the whole of Europe where the individual countries were in different stages. It has not been easy for Europe, or for anyone.

Can you explain what you mean by "A concept of social distancing does not exist for them" please?

It is very similar to our own indigenous population. The concept of "family" is the entirety of the tribe. So, in my "bubble", our "family" is three people who we have had direct contact with since March.

My Navajo friend, has had direct contact with over 100 people. Her "bubble" is anyone who comes over. She doesn't seem to grasp the concept of "Social Distancing". And she has a Master's degree in Education. She "understands" it. It just isn't something she really can do though, with the way her culture and concept of "family" is.

We need to just give Mt Rushmore land back to them and be done with it. We clearly can’t be trusted as good stewards to this national land when we decide to light fireworks during a dry season.
Maybe think about giving the whole country back. July 4th is a good day to consider that I guess.

oh yes i understand, i thought most of the fireworks displays were planned by each city.. so mostly those are cancelled this year i guess

but we are in lockdown here again in Victoria Australia now because of a second wave, so i get it

stil i love 4th of july its such a great holiday, although not a fan of the random gun firing people do
You might have to explain lockdown. I discovered today that some posters had never heard of it. Good luck anyway. I am just coming out of 15 weeks lockdown Monday. Weird feeling.

You feeling weird too @CoverMeCagney and @HongKongPhooey ?

Last edited:
It is very similar to our own indigenous population. The concept of "family" is the entirety of the tribe. So, in my "bubble", our "family" is three people who we have had direct contact with since March.

My Navajo friend, has had direct contact with over 100 people. Her "bubble" is anyone who comes over. She doesn't seem to grasp the concept of "Social Distancing". And she has a Master's degree in Education. She "understands" it. It just isn't something she really can do though, with the way her culture and concept of "family" is.
So it is important for those communities to close to outsiders, like I believe they did I seem to remember. I hope that has helped.

I dislike the critiquing of the talents of a person singing my National Anthem, or the nasty views of "firework safety" as we celebrate our country's independence. Let me just say that I am enjoying the true patriotism seen in the stands. I enjoy the marching band music. I don't see masks either, and I pray that these patriotic people visiting South Dakota remain as healthy and exuberant as they can. I would not wish this virus on any one. I say this, as my son is currently in the hospital with Covid-19. Can we please just have peace? And hope for healing?
I fear there will not be "peace" in the US until each individual has equal opportunity and right to respect, dignity and justice, among other things. There will continue to be unrest until that happens. Which seemingly will be a while.

You might have to explain lockdown. I discovered today that some posters had never heard of it. Good luck anyway. I am just coming out of 15 weeks lockdown Monday. Weird feeling.

You feeling weird too @Cagney&Lacey and @HongKongPhooey ?

I’m guessing you mean me. I’m sitting tight until the lunacy dies down. Seeing friends tonight for a takeaway but not setting foot in a pub!

My daughter went back to school 2 weeks ago and so far so good. Was very strange sending her off with her lunchbox as, until that point aside from food shopping and the odd garden meet up , we’ve been pretty firmly locked down.

I’m guessing you mean me. I’m sitting tight until the lunacy dies down. Seeing friends tonight for a takeaway but not setting foot in a pub!

My daughter went back to school 2 weeks ago and so far so good. Was very strange sending her off with her lunchbox as, until that point aside from food shopping and the odd garden meet up , we’ve been pretty firmly locked down.
Yes I did mean you, sorry, got the wrong Cags. I have edited it. I am watching from afar. Our pubs don't open yet so I am going to watch what happens in England today. It is bad weather here so if similar over the border that may help keep crowds at bay.

I could be wrong, but I believe all of those are classified as epidemics not pandemics. There is actually a difference.

https://health.usnews.com/conditions/articles/whats-the-difference-between-an-epidemic-and-pandemic

Found this which is useful. ( note it is dated early May )

20th and 21st century's major pandemics, Insurance News

20th and 21st century's major pandemics
Pandemics are no new phenomena, with mankind enduring many with more or less dangerous ones.
vaccine.jpg
Held responsible for health, social, economic and financial crises, the new coronavirus or SARS-Covid 19 highlights the shortcomings of globalization.

In record time, the virus has paralyzed the planet for less than three months. No country saw a disaster of such magnitude coming since State efforts were consumed in terrorist threats.

Read also:

20th century major pandemics
Modern flu pandemics (1)

Year Name Country Number of deaths Reproduction rate (Ro) Fatality rate
1918-1920
Spanish Influenza
France, United States 20 to 40 millions (2) - -
Asian Influenza
China 2 millions - -
Hong Kong Influenza
China 4 millions - -
Russian Influenza A(H1N1)
- Unknown - -
1997 then 2003 and 2018
Avian Influenza (H5N1)
Hong Kong and China 400 1.3 to 1.6 <0.2%
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)
China 440 1.5 <0.2%
2009-2010
A(H1N1) Influenza
Mexico 18 500 confirmed (3) 1.5 to 1.8 2 to 3%
(1) 20th and 21st centuries
(2) 80 to 100 millions according to recent estimates
(3) Final estimate between 151 700 and 575 400 deaths

In view of its contagiousness and virulence, SARS-Cov2 would exceed the last influenza pandemics according to the first estimates of the WHO and the classic indicators of reproduction (Ro) and fatality rates.

For the reproduction rate (Ro) which corresponds to the average number of individuals that a contagious person can infect in a population, the range of SARS-Cov2 would be between 1.4 and 2.5. Fatality rate, which is the ratio between the number of people killed by the pandemic and the number of people infected, would place the new coronavirus between 1 and 4%.

Other 20th century pandemics : AIDS

According to UNAIDS, this disease has claimed 32 million lives from 1981 to the present day. In addition, in 2018, nearly 770 000 deaths were reported as a result of HIV-related illnesses. The AIDS virus affects the immune system and makes patients vulnerable to other infections.

Today, nearly 25 million infected people have access to antiretroviral treatments which very effectively slow down the disease while drastically reducing the risks of contamination.

21st century pandemics
Ebola

This particularly contagious virus had raged between 2013 and 2016 in West Africa before reappearing in 2018. Nearly 11 300 deaths have been reported so far.

Ebola was first reported in 1976. Between the end of 2013 and 2016, it caused an epidemic of fever followed by hemorrhages in several countries of West Africa in particular in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. Not as contagious as other viral diseases, Ebola is considered very dangerous due to a mortality rate of around 40%.

The virus reappeared in the summer of 2018 in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where more than 2 200 people had been killed.

A(H1N1) Influenza

H1N1 appeared in Mexico in early spring 2009. First designated as "swine" flu, before being declared pandemic in June of the same year. The virus is ultimately much less dangerous than expected and many vaccination campaigns blocked its development.

The consequences of influenza linked to the H1N1 virus are subject to conflicting views. According to WHO figures, the flu wave carried by this virus has caused the death of 18 500 people whereas the medical magazine "The Lancet" reported between 151 700 and 575 400 deaths.

SARS

Severe acute respiratory syndrome, known as SARS, appeared at the end of 2002 in southern China. It is transmitted from the bat to the civet then from the civet to humans. The civet is a mammal valued for its meat and sold alive on Chinese markets. SARS is particularly contagious; it triggers pneumonia which can prove fatal. The virus has affected more than thirty countries where 440 people lost their lives. China and Hong Kong were the hardest hit with 80% of the victims. The mortality rate reported amounted to 9.5%.

Bird Flu

Avian influenza first decimated poultry industry in Hong Kong and China before being transmitted to humans, creating a global psychosis. The toll ultimately turned out to be limited since there 400 people killed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member