Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #70

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bringing forward link for latest WHO Conferences. Sadly, I’m very behind on them and will have to skip some for now, but will go back when I have time for transcripts:

Press briefings

Sadly, I have not watched since they finally named Covid a pandemic.

I do count on you for the highlights and important points. Thanks for your work.

I didn't realize AstraZeneca was funding the Oxford vaccine. That's good, they have the ability to mass produce.

Has the UK announced how/ who would have access to the vaccine?

Oxford edges ahead in vaccine race and could know in August if trials show the jab is effective

The company has agreed to supply over a billion doses to Europe, Britain, America, and Gavi, a vaccine finance group. The Serum Institute of India is also producing an additional one billion doses of the Oxford vaccine, mainly for low- and middle-income countries, of which 400 million will be made before the end of 2020. In Britain, 30 million doses will be available by September.

Covid treatment trial described as 'breakthrough'

The preliminary results of a clinical trial suggest a new treatment for Covid-19 dramatically reduces the number of patients needing intensive care, according to the UK company that developed it.

The treatment from Southampton-based biotech Synairgen uses a protein called interferon beta which the body produces when it gets a viral infection.

The protein is inhaled directly into the lungs of patients with coronavirus, using a nebuliser, in the hope that it will stimulate an immune response.

The initial findings suggest the treatment cut the odds of a Covid-19 patient in hospital developing severe disease - such as requiring ventilation - by 79%.

Patients were two to three times more likely to recover to the point where everyday activities were not compromised by their illness, Synairgen claims.

It said the trial also indicated "very significant" reductions in breathlessness among patients who received the treatment.

More at above link.

Here is some additional news about an Interleukin 7 study regarding immunity.

COVID-19 treatment study recruits world’s first patient at Guy’s and St Thomas’

As a reminder, Guys and St. Thomas' were the NHS hospital trust that treated the PM. They are one of the UK's premier teaching hospital's right there in Westminster, London.

Awaiting an announcement.....

Covid-19 vaccine results to be out today, Lancet editor’s tweet creates buzz

ETA I am liking this good news day so far.

Last edited:
Meanwhile in the US...

Oxford/ AstraZeneca just starting its Phase 3 Clinical Trials.
NIH/Moderna is also starting Phase 3 clinical trials.

Hopefully, one or both will work.

We need many types of vaccines. From reading some may be more effective/less risk for certain underlying conditions.

Dr Fauci did a great FB live with Mark Zuckerberg and explained the 3 different platforms. I was finally able to understand -platforms. By using so many different platforms it increases the probability and time frame for a successful vaccine.

Ran out of edit time to add this to my last post. This is a continuation of the subject.

University of Oxford Announces Positive News About COVID-19 Vaccination Trials

Behind the news:
Initial trials held to test the efficacy of a COVID-19 vaccine formulated by the University of Oxford are expected to return with positive results on the 20th of July, 2020. The conclusions of the trials are to be published in The Lancet – a general, peer-reviewed medical journal that is distributed on a weekly basis. The Monday publication is highly expected to carry news about the optimistic future of this fight against the novel coronavirus, with various reports of alleged double-protection and how it works having been published already.

This experimental vaccine was developed by the Jenner Institute, which is part of the Nuffield Department of Medicine at the University of Oxford. This formulation is backed by AstraZeneca PLC, a British-Swedish pharmaceutical company with a multinational presence in the biopharmaceutical industry. Ever since the announcement of potential positive results about the vaccine, the company’s share prices have increased considerably. AstraZeneca has not made any comments on it yet.

Continued at link.

Fingers crossed.

Info about Gavi

Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation pledges $1.6 billion to Gavi the Vaccine Alliance

SEATTLE, June 4, 2020 – The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation today announced a five-year, US$1.6 billion commitment to Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, to deliver lifesaving vaccines to the world’s poorest countries. The commitment was announced at the Global Vaccine Summit 2020, hosted by Prime Minister Boris Johnson of the United Kingdom.

Funding secured today for Gavi’s next strategic period will help the Alliance reach an additional 300 million children in the world’s most vulnerable communities and save up to eight million lives, bringing the total number of children immunized with Gavi support to more than one billion since its inception in 2000.

In addition to supporting the continuation of routine immunization services during the current COVID-19 crisis, Gavi will play a vital role in efforts to end the pandemic, leveraging its two decades of experience in vaccine delivery to deploy potential COVID-19 vaccines to low income countries when they become available.

“Not many people outside the global health sector have heard about Gavi, but over the past twenty years, it has transformed the way the world invests in and protects the health of its children,” said Melinda Gates, co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. “If the current pandemic has reminded us of anything, it’s the importance of vaccinating against deadly diseases. The pledges that leaders are making today will help Gavi save even more lives.”

Continued at link.

Last edited:

"The company has agreed to supply over a billion doses to Europe, Britain, America, and Gavi, a vaccine finance group."

But of course, may as well first provide the vaccine to places that have had the capability but were much slower in their efforts to stop the virus as provide it first to those third world countries who don't have that same capability. That seems right. :rolleyes:

I wonder how many of those billion doses will make it to the Médecins Sans Frontières, the Red Cross, and other humanitarian organisations.

Last edited:
"The company has agreed to supply over a billion doses to Europe, Britain, America, and Gavi, a vaccine finance group."

But of course, may as well first provide the vaccine to places that have had the capability but were much slower in their efforts to stop the virus as provide it first to those third world countries who don't have that same capability. That seems right. :rolleyes:

from the link.... All this is great news!!! Gives me hope and hope is all that gets me through the really tough days.

The company has agreed to supply over a billion doses to Europe, Britain, America, and Gavi, a vaccine finance group. The Serum Institute of India is also producing an additional one billion doses of the Oxford vaccine, mainly for low- and middle-income countries, of which 400 million will be made before the end of 2020. In Britain, 30 million doses will be available by September.

from the link.... All this is great news!!! Gives me hope and hope is all that gets me through the really tough days.

Over 7.5 billion people in this world. Many of them much needier than the delighted first recipients.

But that's our world. So many unlevel playing fields.

Last edited:
Experts debunk conspiracy theories coronavirus cases are inflated to scare people

Oakland County's medical examiner, Dr. Ljubisa Dragovic, said his office is not inflating the number of COVID-19 deaths. When the professionals in his office determine the cause and manner of death, they are guided by scientific methodology, and they are not making decisions to get stimulus money from the government.

He said the office tests all bodies that it autopsies for COVID-19, but not to use COVID-19 as a cause of death, but to track the spread of the virus.

"We've had some cases that were positive, but it does not mean the person died of the infection," Dragovic told the Free Press last week .

For example, the office recently autopsied someone who had been shot. He tested positive for COVID-19, but the cause of death was gunshot wounds, the manner of death a homicide.

Heat affects testing sites and food banks, DC. We may see this more widespread as the heat and humidity hit the east coast hard.

Heat Index to Soar Near 105° in DC Area

Dangerous heat and humidity will stifle the D.C.-area again on Monday: The week will begin with afternoon highs right on the 100° mark and heat index values likely to be 105°.

An excessive heat warning will be in effect for locations right along the Chesapeake Bay and on the Eastern Shore since the heat index could top out over 110°.

Coronavirus testing sites and free grocery sites will be closed in Washington, D.C., due to the dangerous levels of heat. However, meal sites and cooling centers are open. For more information, call 311. Anyone who needs a test should contact their doctor.

Maybe do the maths?
MOO.. I think WHO may control/pirchase doses for third world countries.

The Gates Foundation donated 100 million dollars to WHO for Covid. I'm not sure if it has a specific earmark.

@margarita25 ....
As our WHO expert do you know what plans WHO has to distribute vaccines when available?

Nicklaus, 80, reveals positive test for coronavirus

Jack Nicklaus says he tested positive for coronavirus, antibodies

Nicklaus and his wife, Barbara, turned 80 a month apart at the start of the year.

Nicklaus said his wife had no symptoms, while he had a sore throat and a cough. Nicklaus said they were home in North Palm Beach, Florida, from March 13 "until we were done with it" on about April 20.

"It didn't last very long, and we were very, very fortunate, very lucky," Nicklaus said. "Barbara and I are both of the age, both of us 80 years old, that is an at-risk age. Our hearts go out to the people who did lose their lives and their families. We were just a couple of the lucky ones."

Nicklaus said that by having the antibodies, "theoretically we can't get it and can't give it. That's a nice position to be in.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MHPortland