Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #71

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here's a new twist ..... cabbage and cucumber 'could' help the body fight the virus.

The science behind this is based on a protein called Nrf2.
The virus that causes COVID-19 often results in serious inflammation for the sickest patients. NrF2 can reduce that inflammation. Vegetables like cabbage and cucumber can boost the production of NrF2.

In short, more cucumber and cabbage means you have a better chance of battling the virus.

It’s all absolutely fascinating, and even promising, but like all things surrounding COVID-19 needs a lot more investigation.
https://7news.com.au/travel/coronav...er-could-reduce-covid-19-death-rate-c-1183365

Republicans mandate at-home COVID-19 pre-convention test for attendees as cases spike in Florida

“….every potential convention participant will be sent an in-home COVID-19 test paid for by the RNC. This includes guests of delegates and alternate delegates. Potential convention participants will need to take the in-home test and send back to the testing vendor.

“…Attendees are asked to conduct a self-administered test prior to departing for convention and will be asked to test again prior to the event with the President.”

People will have to agree to allow the testing company to turn their tests results over to the RNC.

Trump’s convention will not mandate masks. The memo said, when it comes to masks, “We will follow the local and state health guidelines in place at the time of the convention.”

Oh for heavens sake, the insanity!

We have some insanity of our own here.
Another rally planned for Sydney next week ... against the strong wishes of the PM and Gladys Berejiklian.
If it is on a weekend, I hope that the authorities close down all the streets around the Town Hall.

Honestly, everywhere I look there are people who just don't get the strength of this virus. Save the rallies and large gatherings until we all suppress this virus. Not much else should matter at this moment on time.

Pandemic forces Jehovah's Witnesses to move annual convention online
For the first time in its history, Jehovah's Witness will not hold its annual convention at large venues. It will be on a virtual platform. "To bring people together at this time, even though it may be safe in certain areas perhaps, the risk isn't worth it because spirituality is not about a place, it's not about a building, it's about our connection to our creator and to each other," said Robert Hendriks, U.S. spokesman for Jehovah's Witnesses.

COVID Drives AUSA Mega-Conference Online: Gen. Ham
“We’ve made the difficult decision to convert the 2020 AUSA Annual Meeting from an in-person meeting to a virtual experience,” said retired Gen. Carter Ham, the Association of the US Army’s president and CEO, in a statement.

What does a virtual Comic-Con mean for those "attending" online?
Today marks the start of Comic-Con, the huge comic and entertainment convention usually held in San Diego. Organizers would normally be expecting around 130,000 fans from over 80 countries to attend. Of course, that’s not possible this year, so the entire festival has gone virtual.

Many 2020 Las Vegas conventions have moved to 2021
Dozens of conventions and business gatherings in Las Vegas have changed plans due to the coronavirus pandemic and have either canceled for 2020 or rescheduled for 2021.

Last edited:
This was probably posted here at the time it came out, but new to me:

Psychopathic traits linked to non-compliance with social distancing guidelines amid the coronavirus pandemic

New research provides some initial evidence that certain antagonistic personality traits are associated with ignoring preventative measures meant to halt the spread of the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2.

The study has been peer reviewed and accepted for publication in the journal Social Psychology and Personality Science. It is currently available on the PsyArXiv preprint website.

And this one is from yesterday:

Narcissistic personalities linked to defiance of coronavirus prevention guidelines and hoarding

Two new studies, both published in the journal Personality and Individual Differences, reinforce previous findings that the “Dark Triad” of narcissism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism is associated with ignoring preventative COVID-19 measures.

Republicans mandate at-home COVID-19 pre-convention test for attendees as cases spike in Florida

“….every potential convention participant will be sent an in-home COVID-19 test paid for by the RNC. This includes guests of delegates and alternate delegates. Potential convention participants will need to take the in-home test and send back to the testing vendor.

“…Attendees are asked to conduct a self-administered test prior to departing for convention and will be asked to test again prior to the event with the President.”

People will have to agree to allow the testing company to turn their tests results over to the RNC.

Trump’s convention will not mandate masks. The memo said, when it comes to masks, “We will follow the local and state health guidelines in place at the time of the convention.”
IMO, then Duval County needs to implement a mandatory mask rule - they should have already. The Sheriff has already made his opinion clear regarding security- link upthread - FL needs to plan for another huge spike- just what we need - sigh
JMO
ETA: link - safety concerns by Sheriff
Jacksonville sheriff has "significant concerns" about safely hosting Republican National Convention - CBS News

Last edited:
Pandemic forces Jehovah's Witnesses to move annual convention online
For the first time in its history, Jehovah's Witness will not hold its annual convention at large venues. It will be on a virtual platform. "To bring people together at this time, even though it may be safe in certain areas perhaps, the risk isn't worth it because spirituality is not about a place, it's not about a building, it's about our connection to our creator and to each other," said Robert Hendriks, U.S. spokesman for Jehovah's Witnesses.

COVID Drives AUSA Mega-Conference Online: Gen. Ham
“We’ve made the difficult decision to convert the 2020 AUSA Annual Meeting from an in-person meeting to a virtual experience,” said retired Gen. Carter Ham, the Association of the US Army’s president and CEO, in a statement.

What does a virtual Comic-Con mean for those "attending" online?
Today marks the start of Comic-Con, the huge comic and entertainment convention usually held in San Diego. Organizers would normally be expecting around 130,000 fans from over 80 countries to attend. Of course, that’s not possible this year, so the entire festival has gone virtual.

Many 2020 Las Vegas conventions have moved to 2021
Dozens of conventions and business gatherings in Las Vegas have changed plans due to the coronavirus pandemic and have either canceled for 2020 or rescheduled for 2021.
When the Jehovah's witnesses do this and stop door to door evangelism, which they have, you know it's bad.

But I've still got friends hitting the bars, taking selfies with people they just met.

Texas Kids Got COVID-19 at Summer Camp. Is School Next? — Texas Monthly

“On Saturday, June 28, Kosub dropped her fourteen-year-old daughter off for a two-week session at Timbers, Pine Cove’s overnight camp for eighth- and ninth-graders in Tyler.

When Pine Cove called her just days after drop-off to share that a camper in Emerson’s cabin had a fever, Kosub wasn’t concerned: at least one kid is bound to get sick at camp every year—pandemic or not.

Kosub keeps looking at pictures and videos from camp, agonizing over mask slipups, the worship nights with singing and dancing in close proximity, and games of dodgeball with kids throwing balls that they’d touched at each other’s faces. “What I realize now is that there was no way to keep those kids safe the way the camp is set up,” she said.

Kosub regrets not following her brother’s plans and receiving a full refund. With school starting in a few weeks, she knows she won’t be able to keep her socially active daughter at home but is already bracing for the first football player or dancer to test positive and shut everything down again.”
——————-
An two week overnight camp with a cabinful of 10-14 year olds in TEXAS.
What could go wrong?

(She knows she won’t be able to keep her socially active daughter at home? Guess nothing learned from that experience).

One particularly chilling passage:
“George Roberts, the CEO of Northeast Texas Public Health District, the health agency serving Smith County, said Pine Cove first reached out to his department in the spring about opening plans and has been in touch consistently throughout the summer, proactively reporting cases and shutting down weeks of camp when necessary. According to his correspondence with the camp, Pine Cove has seen “1.2 percent of [their] campers test positive for COVID and all have recovered within seven to 10 days with mild symptoms.” Roberts commends the camp’s containment efforts and said his personal threshold for concern would be a 10 percent rate. He said his experience working with the Sky Ranch and Pine Cove camps gives him more confidence in school reopenings.

“It seems like, in terms of an overnight camp, the sleeping arrangements and common bathrooms appear to be a major way the virus is spread. It makes [health officials] feel actually better about school starting in the fall,” he said. “They’re in the same classroom but they’re not sleeping in a cabin.”
Roberts believes there are benefits of learning to “live with the virus” and proceeding with normal routines until circumstances make that infeasible. “I’m in the camp of I think you need to keep going as long as you can,” he added. “My messaging right now is, the virus is out there and we have to learn how to live with this virus.”

———————

I think it is noteworthy that Roberts, like the ill-informed mother whose irresponsible decision resulted in her daughter contractingCOVID-19
at camp, DOES NOT PROVIDE ANY SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE SUPPORTING THIS “live with it” APPROACH!

Also, this selfish attitude (expressed by the”parent” in the sentence bolded by me below) is literally going to be the death of us, if we can’t check it:
“A number of parents who picked up healthy campers agree with the decision to have opened the camp. Rockwall-based Nicolette Ethridge sent her ten-year-old daughter to camp for the first time last year, and despite her husband’s initial hesitance, decided to again this year. “If there’s one place where she’s going to feel comfortable, it’s at church camp,” Ethridge said. “I think it was all worth the risk because she had such a good time and the kids all had such a good time.”

Last edited:
<RSBM>

“It seems like, in terms of an overnight camp, the sleeping arrangements and common bathrooms appear to be a major way the virus is spread. It makes [health officials] feel actually better about school starting in the fall,” he said. “They’re in the same classroom but they’re not sleeping in a cabin.”

1. How would he know that the sleeping arrangements and common bathrooms were the spreaders? Was there a test group of children who had their own rooms and private bathrooms? And another test group of children who shared sleeping areas and bathrooms? I don't think so.

2. There are common bathrooms at every school.

STREET VIBRATIONS® FALL RALLY
September 24 - 27, 2020
Reno, Tahoe, Carson & Virginia City, Nevada
At the present time, the fall rally is scheduled to happen! In the event we have to cancel, a notice will be placed here.

Roadshows, Inc. Event Production, Reno, NV

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally To Go On Despite Pandemic
It was estimated that 490,000 people attended the rally last year, with comparable numbers in 2018. The largest attendance in the last decade was in 2015, when 739,000 people attended the rally in the town of 7,000 people.

Sturgis sends out notices about free post-rally COVID-19 testing
Following the rally, the city will offer vouchers for free coronavirus tests for residents. Each test costs around $150 normally.

Last edited:
Sturgis Motorcycle Rally To Go On Despite Pandemic
It was estimated that 490,000 people attended the rally last year, with comparable numbers in 2018. The largest attendance in the last decade was in 2015, when 739,000 people attended the rally in the town of 7,000 people.

Notices go out for mass COVID testing in Sturgis
Notices have gone out offering vouchers for free COVID-19 testing following the 80th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

As an old biker biyach from way back who has attended infinite rallies, I can still say this is idiotic and ridiculous imo to hold this event during a pandemic when we are fighting to get this under control. Makes me so angry. We know mass gatherings are how this virus spreads. There are going to be people going to this rally from all over the country. This is an absolute disaster and super spreading event waiting to happen, as is every other mass gathering held during these times. No need to expound. We’ve been expounding for half a year now. Yeah that’s great they’ll be testing and putting some measures in place, but still, a mass gathering is a mass gathering (and a huge one at that). You add the parties and the booze...SMDH. It’s really hard to feel hopeful when these types of events continue and continue and continue to happen. So frustrated.

eta:
You know, people aren’t going to “die” if they don’t go to Sturgis one year. Surely we/ they can go without it this one time and make this sacrifice, considering the urgent circumstances? Apparently not.

I am very upset to read this this morning. We are never going to get this under control at this rate. Stupidity at its height! This is just not fair to everyone else. It’s not.

Super disappointed in my comrades.
(Understatement)

Eta: We have so many excellent groups like BACA (Bikers Against Child Abuse), Law Enforcement clubs, etc., (of course there are “outlaw”, non law abiding groups as well). I wish bikers would spread the word on social media that this is just not responsible or safe and it’s selfish, and not to attend this event. This is just not the right time. This is so completely counterproductive to what we are needing to achieve as a country and as a planet re: this virus going forward.

Thumbs down!

Last edited:
U.S. agrees to pay Pfizer and BioNTech $2 billion for 100 million doses of coronavirus vaccine

Coronavirus updates: Pfizer hopes for October vaccine approval as US orders 100M doses; US 'flying blind' with too little data from states

Under the agreement, the U.S. can acquire 500 million additional doses, the Department of Health and Human Services said. Germany-based BioNTech and Pfizer are jointly developing four potential vaccines.

If one of the vaccines proves safe and effective in a large phase three trial and receives regulatory approval, HHS said Pfizer will begin to deliver doses to locations across the U.S. at the government's direction. The vaccine would then be made available to Americans "at no cost," HHS said. It's unclear who the first doses of the potential vaccine would go to and how that decision would be made.

As part of the program, the government previously announced a $1.6 billion agreement with Novavax to accelerate development of its potential vaccine with the aim of delivering 100 million doses by January.

The government also announced a $456 million investment in Johnson & Johnson's vaccine candidate in March, $486 million in support for Moderna's vaccine in April, and up to $1.2 billion in May for AstraZeneca's vaccine being developed with Oxford University.

The U.S. government also awarded Emergent Biosolutions $628 million to expand domestic manufacturing capacity for a potential coronavirus vaccine and drugs to treat Covid-19.

One particularly chilling passage:
“George Roberts, the CEO of Northeast Texas Public Health District, the health agency serving Smith County, said Pine Cove first reached out to his department in the spring about opening plans and has been in touch consistently throughout the summer, proactively reporting cases and shutting down weeks of camp when necessary. According to his correspondence with the camp, Pine Cove has seen “1.2 percent of [their] campers test positive for COVID and all have recovered within seven to 10 days with mild symptoms.” Roberts commends the camp’s containment efforts and said his personal threshold for concern would be a 10 percent rate. He said his experience working with the Sky Ranch and Pine Cove camps gives him more confidence in school reopenings.

Roberts believes there are benefits of learning to “live with the virus” and proceeding with normal routines until circumstances make that infeasible. “I’m in the camp of I think you need to keep going as long as you can,” he added. “My messaging right now is, the virus is out there and we have to learn how to live with this virus.”

———————

I think it is noteworthy that Roberts, like the ill-informed mother whose irresponsible decision resulted in her daughter contractingCOVID-19
at camp, DOES NOT PROVIDE ANY SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE SUPPORTING THIS “live with it” APPROACH!

Also, this selfish attitude (expressed by the”parent” in the sentence bolded by me below) is literally going to be the death of us, if we can’t check it:
“A number of parents who picked up healthy campers agree with the decision to have opened the camp. Rockwall-based Nicolette Ethridge sent her ten-year-old daughter to camp for the first time last year, and despite her husband’s initial hesitance, decided to again this year. “If there’s one place where she’s going to feel comfortable, it’s at church camp,” Ethridge said. “I think it was all worth the risk because she had such a good time and the kids all had such a good time.”

A 1.2% positivity would mean opening up if that was in the community. I believe the aim is to get below 5%.

Last edited:
Well, here's a new twist ..... cabbage and cucumber 'could' help the body fight the virus.

The science behind this is based on a protein called Nrf2.
The virus that causes COVID-19 often results in serious inflammation for the sickest patients. NrF2 can reduce that inflammation. Vegetables like cabbage and cucumber can boost the production of NrF2.

In short, more cucumber and cabbage means you have a better chance of battling the virus.

It’s all absolutely fascinating, and even promising, but like all things surrounding COVID-19 needs a lot more investigation.
https://7news.com.au/travel/coronav...er-could-reduce-covid-19-death-rate-c-1183365

I looked up the study and seems they eat a lot of cabbage in Latvia and a lot of cucumbers in Greece, and the low rate of COVID-19 in both of those countries is similar, and they are looking at the high consumption of cabbage and cucumbers. I remember the cabbage soup recipe from years ago for weight loss. Might start making some cabbage soup again, especially this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025