Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #74

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the affected employee have to prove that they contracted the virus at work vs somewhere else?

I'm not sure that it being possible or even likely sufficient for a claim to be made. JMO

Actually no. Look at this recent article about this issue from California.

COVID workers' comp claims in California pass 5,000 | CalMatters

There are a lot of articles about this issue, because it has huge implications. TSA workers want presumptive eligibility for Covid as well.

Last edited:
First Rally daily briefing discusses the differences this year

" “It seems to be a lot of individuals seeking some freedom and escape from what they’ve been experiencing for months in their home states,” Daniel Ainslie, the city manager for the city of Sturgis says. Ainslie also points out that they have heard from many out-of-state visitors that they are thankful to be in the Black Hills. "

" “I think more people are riding longer,” Jerry Cole, the director of rally events says.

“I think everybody is heeding that word of, in the camp grounds, stay in your family pods and go riding in the day and enjoy it.”

Also, some states require either having a negative COVID test result, or the traveling bikers must be quarantined.

For this requirement, a national vendor has set up sites for COVID testing; whoever comes to Sturgis can purchase a rapid test from the vendor.

“I think they’re setting up one in the armory, and on 1535 Lazelle Street, there will be one as well.”

If anyone is tested positive during the Rally, Sturgis has areas designated for quarantine, if necessary. " "

More info at link.
Here's more info on the population of people who attend:

The average age of rally spectators is 42 and the average age of riders is 23. Put another way, Sturgis is a mid-sized organization made up of Gen Xers and Millennials, just like much of the workforce.

Actually no. Look at this recent article about this issue from California.

COVID workers' comp claims in California pass 5,000 | CalMatters

There are a lot of articles about this issue, because it has huge implications. TSA workers want presumptive eligibility for Covid as well.
So California workers will easily receive workers comp benefits.

What about employers being held liable for employee's who are infected? Can the government declare they are presumed to be responsible and have to pay damages?

So California workers will easily receive workers comp benefits.

What about employers being held liable for employee's who are infected? Can the government declare they are presumed to be responsible and have to pay damages?

- The next coronavirus relief package could include liability protections for businesses that would shield them from workplace lawsuits.
- Republicans and trade groups argue that the fear of lawsuits could keep businesses from reopening, while labor groups say liability protections could shield employers who aren’t keeping their workers safe.
- So far, few coronavirus-related lawsuits have been filed in the U.S.

Arizona, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York are among several states that have passed laws providing immunity from coronavirus-related lawsuits for certain health care facilities, while laws in Iowa, North Carolina and Utah protect a broader range of businesses. Louisiana passed a bill last month that bars diners from suing a restaurant and claiming it gave them the coronavirus.

At least six states have passed bills that allow businesses to require that customers sign waivers, saying they won’t sue if they catch the coronavirus.

There's a fight brewing over whether companies are responsible when workers get coronavirus

Morning mail: US passes 5m cases, NSW flooding, supply-chain concerns

Morning mail: US passes 5m cases, NSW flooding, supply-chain concerns

Emilie Gramenz

55 mins ago
The US on Sunday passed the grim milestone of 5m coronavirus cases, as Donald Trump’s executive orders seeking to break a political impasse over further economic relief were denounced by a Republican as “unconstitutional slop”. A Brazilian scientist has expressed her despair as Brazil’s Covid-19 deaths hit 100,000. Natalia Pasternak has implored Brazilians to take science and coronavirus seriously, yet five months after Brazil’s first confirmed fatality, Pasternak is despondent and fears her work has been in vain. Britain’s confirmed cases rose by more than 1,000 for the first time since late June, and Greece recorded its highest daily tally since the start of the outbreak.

Australia recorded its deadliest day of the coronavirus pandemic so far, after 17 people died in Victoria in the 24 hours between Saturday and Sunday. Ten of the 17 deaths were linked to aged care homes. Experts have said Victoria’s restrictions on warehouses could lead to supply issues for the state’s supermarkets – but shelf shortages can be avoided if people do not panic-buy. Australia’s finance minister has kept the door open to making further changes to economic support measures such as the jobkeeper wage subsidy.

Victorian lockdown may lead to supermarket supply issues – but panic buying impact greater

Victorian lockdown may lead to supermarket supply issues – but panic buying impact greater

Naaman Zhou

4 hrs ago

upload_2020-8-10_8-47-53.png
BB17L7mu.img

Experts have said Victoria’s restrictions on warehouses could lead to supply issues for the state’s supermarkets – but shelf shortages can be avoided if people do not panic-buy.

From midnight on Sunday, the workforce of supermarket warehouses and food distribution centres will be reduced by one third, under Melbourne’s stricter stage four lockdown.

Staff levels in large abattoirs and red meat processing plants will also be reduced by a third, and reduced in poultry processing plants to 80% of normal capacity.

Related: 'Very dead': army and police patrol the deserted streets of coronavirus-stricken Melbourne

Supply chain experts from Victorian universities told Guardian Australia this would likely have some effect on supermarket supply, availability and variety – but that shelf shortages could be prevented by consumers moderating their demand.
Dr William Ho, an associate professor of operations management at the University of Melbourne said the changes would “absolutely” impact supermarket supply.

“Because the workforce capacity is reduced, that would affect the replenishment time,” he said. “Delivery, stock preparing, this kind of time will be lengthened. But I am still optimistic there will not be any long-term shortage of food.

“On one hand the lead time of production and delivery will be longer, and that will affect the replenishment time. However, I do not believe that will be a sustained shortage of food in Australia and Victoria.”

I can’t remember closing schools here for the flu, there were several daycares that did.

OT - hope you’re ok, heard there was a 5.1 earthquake near the VA line (Sparta NC) around 8am this morning.

yes, I'm good.

Was having my coffee when the house started to sway North to South. It was 8:08 AM. I knew immediately, as this is my fourth.

I just smiled and thought what next....

This past week, torrential rain from the hurricane, two tornados and now a quake.

Ireland has a new coronavirus fear: Americans on vacation

With little to no quarantine enforcement on visitors, some Irish business owners say they have had to take matters into their own hands.

Janet Cavanagh, the owner of E-whizz, a bike touring company in the west of the Irish Republic, says 90 percent of her guided tour business is from the U.S. and Canada. But she felt she had no choice but to cancel an American couple’s tour.

“I asked them if they had done their 14 days isolation, as per the Irish government regulations, they said they had not,” Cavanagh said. "They didn't realize that it was mandatory. So I wasn't really willing to do a tour with them if they just landed into Ireland off a flight from the States.”

The Irish government says arrangements are being made for “a more robust system of follow-up checks to ensure that those entering the country are staying where they said they would stay per the form.”

“New Zealand got rid of the virus by imposing a strict lockdown in late March when only about 100 people had tested positive for the disease. That stopped its spread. For the past three months, the only new cases have been a handful of returning travelers who have been quarantined at the border.

"It was good science and great political leadership that made the difference," said professor Michael Baker, an epidemiologist at the University of Otago. "If you look around the globe at countries that have done well, it's usually that combination."

From early on, New Zealand pursued a bold strategy of eliminating the virus rather than just suppressing its spread. Baker said other countries are increasingly looking to New Zealand for answers.

"The whole Western World has terribly mismanaged this threat, and they're realizing this now," Baker said.“

moving to NZ ...

With little to no quarantine enforcement on visitors, some Irish business owners say they have had to take matters into their own hands.

how about just don't let them in
geez we're never gonna get rid of this if we keep trusting people to do the right thing
like we all really need to close borders to all vacation travelers - they don't quarantine and they lie about where they're going and what they're doing

Radford University, 20 minutes from VT moved in last week. City Council had to meet on Monday with closings and restrictions, after they partied all weekend.

VA TECH moves in this week. 31.000 flowing in masses into Blacksburg.
Then go home for breaks and spread the virus to mom, dad, grandparents.

They probably think that because they are outside most of the time, that the masks are superfluous. Not unlike my experience the other day looking at cars.

The flaw in that thinking, is when they are close together. Although, there was not a significant change in Covid-19 after the 4th of July Trump extravaganza at Mount Rushmore. Nor did the protests after George Floyd increase Covid-19 rates in NYC or many other areas.

I don't know. This virus is unpredictable.
Sturgis businesses make millions, and it isn't from bikers being outside. Check out these photos. It should give any person a BIG concern. Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Attracts Thousands, With Few Masks And Little Social Distancing (Photos)

Sturgis businesses make millions, and it isn't from bikers being outside. Check out these photos. It should give any person a BIG concern. Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Attracts Thousands, With Few Masks And Little Social Distancing (Photos)

We'll never get this under control as long as everyone keeps exercising their freedom to expose themselves to this virus, overload the hospitals and place greater demand on PPE and medications to support them once they get sick. That and shortchanging others of access to decent medical care by doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member