Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus US: Bill Gates says most tests 'garbage' | Daily Mail Online

"Billionaire Bill Gates says the majority of coronavirus tests being administered in the United States are 'completely garbage'.

The philanthropist and former Microsoft founder said most of the diagnostic testing in the US was a waste of time because the tests take too long to provide results.

In a lengthy interview with Wired, Gates said it was 'just stupidity' that Americans weren't getting their results back quickly enough.

'The majority of all US tests are completely garbage, wasted,' Gates said."

Critic’s Notebook: Why I’m rating restaurants for their COVID-19 response – Orange County Register
(Reference is to Orange County in California, btw)

The newspapers’ restaurant critic’s observation, comparing Orange County vs other parts of CA.

Interesting article. My wife and I are in the segment of the population that ate out the instant restrictions were lifted. We've noticed widely varying standards - even within one place, depending on the day. We went out to dinner the other night and both forgot masks - my wife asked if they had any and the hostess said "don't worry about it," and let us in. The staff, on the other hand, all wore masks and gloves.

I do often wonder how effective masks are in these settings - it seems kind of ridiculous when I see people park, walk across the parking lot, put on their mask at the door, walk to table or bar stool, and take it off.

Coronavirus US: Bill Gates says most tests 'garbage' | Daily Mail Online

"Billionaire Bill Gates says the majority of coronavirus tests being administered in the United States are 'completely garbage'.

The philanthropist and former Microsoft founder said most of the diagnostic testing in the US was a waste of time because the tests take too long to provide results.

In a lengthy interview with Wired, Gates said it was 'just stupidity' that Americans weren't getting their results back quickly enough.

'The majority of all US tests are completely garbage, wasted,' Gates said."

I would have to agree. Test results should get back to the patient in 24-48 hrs. max.

Man Wearing Only Mask and Underwear Attacks Elderly Walmart Workers — Newsweek

“Video has emerged showing a man in his underwear and a black face covering attacking two elderly employees at a Walmart in Louisiana.

The clip shows the suspect, identified as 30-year-old Kendrick Zenon, walking through the store in Breaux Bridge wearing just a pair of red boxer shorts and a full black mask.”

Deadly mistakes in aged care outbreak

Deadly mistakes in aged care outbreak

Chip Le Grand

7 hrs ago
Nearly 900 aged residents in Victoria have been infected with COVID-19 and 109 have died.

"They could be doing it better,'' Molony tells The Age and Sydney Morning Herald from her quarantined bedroom. "They have had practice. It shouldn't be happening. If you want to know why I'm really frustrated and angry it is because they really should have known what to do and they didn't do it.''

Throughout our long COVID winter this has become a familiar refrain. The Victorian government and health authorities have made it clear that, had more of us taken their stay-at-home directions more seriously and done what we were supposed to, the fatal consequences being tallied daily in nursing homes could have been mitigated.

Congress' last-ditch talks on virus stimulus fall

"Last-ditch negotiations at the US Congress to forge another stimulus package for the coronavirus-ravaged economy have collapsed in stalemate.

Democrats and Republicans remain at odds over everything from unemployment benefits to financial aid for schools to cash injections for states' coffers.

The US unemployment rate stands at 10.2%, above any level during the 2008 financial crisis."

Continued at link.

India's biggest slum has so far nailed coronavirus COVID-19. Here's how they did it

India's biggest slum has so far nailed coronavirus COVID-19. Here's how they did it

By South Asia correspondent James Oaten, Som Patidar, and Nagesh Ohal in Mumbai

8 hrs ago
The Dharavi Model has been adopted in other parts of the country
The system was initially rough around the edges.

Containment zones were set up with little notice, leading to distress, and residents often had to queue for hours to get essential supplies.
Instead of waiting for symptomatic patients to come forward, authorities would doorknock homes to test temperatures and oxygen levels.

Anyone considered at risk or showing depleting oxygen levels was taken into care.
"So, our biggest challenge was to isolate the high-risk contacts from the slum to the institutional quarantine.

"If we diagnose suspects early, it is easy to cut the chain of transmission, to start the treatment early and reduce further mortality."

New clues on virus reproduction mystery; non-COVID vaccines may help

By Nancy Lapid

4 hrs ago
Researchers may have found a missing link in the coronavirus reproduction cycle that could potentially be targeted by drugs, according to a report in Science on Thursday. Scientists already knew that once the virus breaks into a cell, it forms double-membrane sacs, or vesicles, in which it makes copies of its genetic material. But the sacs appeared to be closed and it was previously unclear how the genetic material moved from the sac into the fluid in the cell, where new virus particles assembled themselves. Eric Snijder of Leiden University Medical Center and his colleagues discovered tiny channels through both membranes that are wide enough to let the genetic material pass through. "In electron microscope images we can see 'stuff' sticking out of these channels. Most likely this 'stuff' is the viral RNA on its way out, but as the sample is frozen, there is no movement and we still need to find ways to properly identify the 'stuff' as viral RNA," Snijder told Reuters. "Blocking this channel somehow...could create a big problem for the virus to do its tricks," he added. (A molecular pore spans the double membrane of the coronavirus replication organelle)

Two new studies found that people who had received vaccines for other viruses developed fewer or less serious coronavirus infections, though more research is needed to determine their potential effectiveness against COVID-19. According to a study published in Cell Reports Medicine on Wednesday, people who received the BCG tuberculosis vaccine in the last 3 years did not developed more severe coronavirus infections. "Results of the prospective BCG trials currently ongoing are needed before definitive conclusions can be drawn," said coauthor Mihai Netea of Radboud University Medical Center. A separate study from the Mayo Clinic, posted online ahead of peer review, found that people who received other vaccines in the past 5 years - such as against flu, pneumonia, or hepatitis - had lower coronavirus infection rates. Netea said the Mayo Clinic report suggests the "beneficial effects of vaccines may be broader than currently known" and that his team had seen similar data on flu vaccines. (Safety and COVID-19 symptoms in individuals recently vaccinated with BCG: a retrospective cohort study - ScienceDirect Exploratory analysis of immunization records highlights decreased SARS-CoV-2 rates in individuals with recent non-COVID-19 vaccinations)

By Nancy Lapid

4 hrs ago
Researchers may have found a missing link in the coronavirus reproduction cycle that could potentially be targeted by drugs, according to a report in Science on Thursday. Scientists already knew that once the virus breaks into a cell, it forms double-membrane sacs, or vesicles, in which it makes copies of its genetic material. But the sacs appeared to be closed and it was previously unclear how the genetic material moved from the sac into the fluid in the cell, where new virus particles assembled themselves. Eric Snijder of Leiden University Medical Center and his colleagues discovered tiny channels through both membranes that are wide enough to let the genetic material pass through. "In electron microscope images we can see 'stuff' sticking out of these channels. Most likely this 'stuff' is the viral RNA on its way out, but as the sample is frozen, there is no movement and we still need to find ways to properly identify the 'stuff' as viral RNA," Snijder told Reuters. "Blocking this channel somehow...could create a big problem for the virus to do its tricks," he added. (A molecular pore spans the double membrane of the coronavirus replication organelle)

Two new studies found that people who had received vaccines for other viruses developed fewer or less serious coronavirus infections, though more research is needed to determine their potential effectiveness against COVID-19. According to a study published in Cell Reports Medicine on Wednesday, people who received the BCG tuberculosis vaccine in the last 3 years did not developed more severe coronavirus infections. "Results of the prospective BCG trials currently ongoing are needed before definitive conclusions can be drawn," said coauthor Mihai Netea of Radboud University Medical Center. A separate study from the Mayo Clinic, posted online ahead of peer review, found that people who received other vaccines in the past 5 years - such as against flu, pneumonia, or hepatitis - had lower coronavirus infection rates. Netea said the Mayo Clinic report suggests the "beneficial effects of vaccines may be broader than currently known" and that his team had seen similar data on flu vaccines. (Safety and COVID-19 symptoms in individuals recently vaccinated with BCG: a retrospective cohort study - ScienceDirect Exploratory analysis of immunization records highlights decreased SARS-CoV-2 rates in individuals with recent non-COVID-19 vaccinations)

Well I had hepatitis vax a couple of years ago.

Coronavirus in Australia: What went wrong?

Apparently 1/3 of Australians don't get sick leave, so they had to go back to work, even with symptoms in many cases.

They have had to deploy the military to enforce restrictions, and now they have given police additional powers to enforce new restrictions. It seems to be like martial law.

The govt provides an excellent covid package ... a whole suite of benefits. There is no need for anyone to work. These people chose to work, for whatever reason.

Eg:
Unemployment benefits rose to $750 a week across the board.
All businesses were offered JobKeeper payment ... you pay each staff member (at least) $750 a week, whether they work or not, and retain the staff members. The govt quickly repays you - and I mean quickly - within one week of submitting your claim to them, via their online business portal. I administer JobKeeper payments for a couple of clients.

What went wrong is a security guard at a quarantine hotel slept with a covid positive quarantined person, and then passed covid to his workmates and they all took it into the community.
I just heard yesterday - on TV News - that the suburb in which the guard lives is still the highest infected suburb in Melbourne.

Last edited:
Interview with Bill Gates published today

Bill Gates on Covid: Most US Tests Are ‘Completely Garbage’

But people aren’t getting their tests back quickly enough.

Well, that’s just stupidity. The majority of all US tests are completely garbage, wasted. If you don’t care how late the date is and you reimburse at the same level, of course they’re going to take every customer. Because they are making ridiculous money, and it’s mostly rich people that are getting access to that. You have to have the reimbursement system pay a little bit extra for 24 hours, pay the normal fee for 48 hours, and pay nothing [if it isn’t done by then]. And they will fix it overnight.

Why don’t we just do that?

Because the federal government sets that reimbursement system. When we tell them to change it they say, “As far as we can tell, we’re just doing a great job, it’s amazing!” Here we are, this is August. We are the only country in the world where we waste the most money on tests. Fix the reimbursement. Set up the CDC website. But I have been on that kick, and people are tired of listening to me.

Last edited:
Kinda funny. I was working at one of my grocery accounts today. Guy says something. I turn around and literally shriek. It was Darth Vader. Black headed guy in a black gaitor and huge dark sunglasses. He got quite the kick out of it lol.

Um...we don't all have access. In Los Angeles, many people do not have cable and just watch their favorite shows (often in Spanish) on youtube - or they have only that one package (Spanish language TV or Korean language TV)

Many of us have cut the cable.

We've cared for our granddaughters without TV for several years. Neither of them watches TV (their TV's are used mainly for gaming and for family viewing). PBS can be found on Apple TV, but there's very little live broadcasting.

However, that doesn't mean that the US couldn't set up a shared broadcast/streaming educational TV system. Federal government has withdrawn most support, though, so it's mostly donations from people like us.

There are serious issues with the content as well. While PBS is great for little kids, the subjects of middle school and higher (like algebra) are very difficult to broadcast and have the station stay in business. Chemistry, physics, actual US history without costumes, sociology, psychology - all considered "boring" by the regular viewing public. English literature isn't all that popular even at physical universities - and it's hard to teach writing via TV.

Anthropology works pretty well when taught by video and other distance methods (so does Art History). Any highly visual field works. We don't do a lot of number crunching in undergrad anthropology. But students need the kinesthetic part (teacher moving around, drawing on the board, passing things around, etc) to keep their eyes from glazing over.

Here's a sample of a freshman college level stat lecture:

And here's middle school English:

Everything also has to be closed captioned - and one thing that's cool about Youtube is that they can do it automatically plus you can speed it up or slow it down (and even fiddle with the colors if need be).

The thing that really prevents this though, is the requirement that states have. They do not pay teachers for broadcasting their lessons - they only pay when the student shows up. So there has to be some way to ascertain that the student is actually there.

Which brings me to the question many of us are pondering. Do we *require* the student to show their face inside Zoom/Canvas? Or is it enough that there's just their name...in a little text box and they could be out surfing for all I know? Because I know students. And I know they sign in and then just go about their daily life.
Not really okay with me, on a regular day.

I'm getting lots and lots of push back on this issue from students, though. K-12 is likely going to require faces to be seen and for good reason.

But what does a family do with 4 simultaneous learners? Is there enough bandwidth and enough devices (forget computers - hardly any family has 4 laptops IMO). California is distributing 1 million more tablets to students on top of what was already distributed, but as a teacher, I can only imagine the chaos in a house where each kid is supposed to be "in school" (in line of sight - doing/watching stuff) alongside their sibs, the family pets, the baby - and some adult caretaker.
Geez. I’m hoping we don’t see future cases where the child was signed in each day so no one knows they are actually missing.

Geez. I’m hoping we don’t see future cases where the child was signed in each day so no one knows they are actually missing.

This is a good idea (from 10ofRods post):
"K-12 is likely going to require faces to be seen and for good reason."

Even if each child gets X amount of time online each day, at least the teachers will know the children are there, and can mandatory-report to authorities if something seems suspicious.

If You Love Your Family, Stay the Hell Away From Them — VICE

“People are letting their guards down while visiting loved ones, and it's putting them—and everyone else around them—at risk.”

It's so hard to keep your guard up. And I can't get my mom to stop visiting us. She lives across the street. But I finally got her to wear a mask when she comes over now. I know she's lonely and doesn't want to miss out on seeing her grandkids. :/

The article is just scary though. I have friends here in GA where family had a baby shower. Grandma ended up dead and grandpa on a ventilator.

This is a good idea (from 10ofRods post):
"K-12 is likely going to require faces to be seen and for good reason."

Even if each child gets X amount of time online each day, at least the teachers will know the children are there, and can mandatory-report to authorities if something seems suspicious.
This is what I hope, but this is still a worry. I haven’t seen some of my at risk kids all summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nocturnal1