DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly.

There is a difference between required and needed

Masks in Sturgis, South Dakota are needed
They are not required

My common sense is my source

They probably think that because they are outside most of the time, that the masks are superfluous. Not unlike my experience the other day looking at cars.

The flaw in that thinking, is when they are close together. Although, there was not a significant change in Covid-19 after the 4th of July Trump extravaganza at Mount Rushmore. Nor did the protests after George Floyd increase Covid-19 rates in NYC or many other areas.

I don't know. This virus is unpredictable.

Brazil deaths are now more than 100k. That has got to that figure very quickly.

'Like a war': Brazil virus deaths pass 100,000

• 1 hour ago
_113864751_gettyimages-1227968393.jpg
Image copyrightANADOLU AGENCY/GETTY
Image captionA tribute to the victims was held at Rio de Janeiro's Copacabana beach

Brazil has recorded more than 100,000 deaths linked to Covid-19, the world's second-highest figure, as the outbreak in the country shows no sign of easing.

The virus killed 50,000 people in three months, but that number doubled in just 50 days. There have been more than three million confirmed cases so far.

The pandemic is yet to peak but shops and restaurants have already reopened.

President Jair Bolsonaro has downplayed the impact of the virus and opposed measures that could hit the economy.

The far-right leader, who caught the disease himself and recovered, fought restrictions imposed by state governors to curb Covid-19, and has frequently joined crowds of supporters, at times without a face mask.

Experts have complained of a lack of a co-ordinated plan by the Bolsonaro government as local authorities now focus on restarting the economy, which is likely to boost the spread of the virus.

How is Brazil responding to the crisis?
The health ministry is being led by an army general with no experience in public health. Two earlier ministers, both physicians, left the job after disagreeing with the president over social distancing measures and the use of hydroxychloroquine as a treatment, though studies say it is ineffective and even dangerous.

President Bolsonaro - who has called Covid-19 a "little flu" and has been criticised at home and abroad for his response to the outbreak - said he recovered from his own infection thanks to the anti-malarial drug.

"We should be living in despair, because this is a tragedy like a world war. But Brazil is under collective anaesthesia," Dr José Davi Urbaez, a senior member of the Infectious Diseases Society, told Reuters news agency.

"The government's message today is: 'Catch your coronavirus and if it's serious, there is intensive care.' That sums up our policy today."

Continued at link.

Last edited:
I am going by this.

Does Your State Have a Mask Mandate Due to Coronavirus?

South Dakota
Statewide order: No

The South Dakota Department of Health recommends “wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain, especially in areas of significant community-based transmission."

My hope is that others don't interpret states recommending that masks be worn in public settings, as the state saying masks are not needed

Last edited:
My hope is that others don't interpret states recommending that masks be worn in public settings, as the state saying masks are not needed
When the message is clear it is not misinterpreted.

West Midlands Police
@WMPolice

·
5h

It's still everyone's job to control the virus.

2194.svg
keep your 1m+ distance

1f637.svg
Wear a face mask where necessary

1f9fc.svg
Wash your hands

India are doing pretty Ok.

COVID-19 Deaths Per Million In India Among Lowest In World: Centre

Australia and Brazil's pandemic began at the end of their summers. March for Australia and May for Brazil.

There is also some evidence sunlight (UV) kills the virus.

Hot weather could cut spread of Covid-19 as sunlight 'kills bug in 34 minutes'

Hot weather could cut spread of Covid-19 as sunlight 'kills bug in 34 minutes'

"The analysis suggest that 'midday sunlight in most US cities and world cities during summer' can wipe out 90% of coronavirus living on surfaces in just 34 minutes.

In contrast, from December until March, the researchers suggest that the virus can live on surfaces for up to a day or more."

ETA
first published 05 June 2020
Estimated Inactivation of Coronaviruses by Solar Radiation
With Special Reference to COVID-19

Last edited:
A heavy police presence thwarted an anti-mask rally in Melbourne, as officers made arrests and issued fines to a few dozen would-be protesters.

A planned anti-mask rally in Melbourne in defiance of strict stage four lockdown laws fizzled out after only a few dozen people attended and were pounced on by waiting police.

Melbourne anti-mask rally scuppered

First Rally daily briefing discusses the differences this year

" “It seems to be a lot of individuals seeking some freedom and escape from what they’ve been experiencing for months in their home states,” Daniel Ainslie, the city manager for the city of Sturgis says. Ainslie also points out that they have heard from many out-of-state visitors that they are thankful to be in the Black Hills. "

" “I think more people are riding longer,” Jerry Cole, the director of rally events says.

“I think everybody is heeding that word of, in the camp grounds, stay in your family pods and go riding in the day and enjoy it.”

Also, some states require either having a negative COVID test result, or the traveling bikers must be quarantined.

For this requirement, a national vendor has set up sites for COVID testing; whoever comes to Sturgis can purchase a rapid test from the vendor.

“I think they’re setting up one in the armory, and on 1535 Lazelle Street, there will be one as well.”

If anyone is tested positive during the Rally, Sturgis has areas designated for quarantine, if necessary. " "

More info at link.

The thing I worry about when it comes to a/several vaccine against the corona virus is that it has not been tested enough for side effects before mass vaccinations. Remember the swine flu vaccine of 1976, and whether the Guillan-Barre cases were connected to the vaccinations or not.
1976 swine flu outbreak - Wikipedia

A friend of a friend contracted Guillan Barre the end of last year I think it was. She was pregnant and had to be intubated while conscious. She delivered her baby while conscious, while intubated and without an epidural. She spent months in the hospital and now is still in rehab. She's very lucky she survived. I felt fairly traumatized just reading what she was going through. :(

Maybe just because it's the weekend, but numbers are down a little bit in South Carolina. Thought we'd pass 100,000 cases today, but that will surely happen Monday instead. Hospital stats are not as bad as I thought!

SC approaches 100,000 COVID-19 cases, 1,011 new cases
"As of Sunday morning, 2,269 inpatient beds are available and 8,157 are in use, which is a 78.24% statewide inpatient bed utilization rate. Of the 8,157 inpatient beds currently used, 1,378 are occupied by patients who have either tested positive or are under investigation for COVID-19. Of the 1,585 ventilators, 547 are in use and 219 of those are COVID-19 patients."

99,713 confirmed positive cases (+1,011) - lowest new case rate since July 7

1,949 confirmed deaths (+18)

"Total Tests Received" - 843,241
Percent Positive - 12.9 % - Please keep heading downward! Lowest percent positive since July 27

SC Testing Data & Projections (COVID-19) | SCDHEC

Last edited:
Re: "Some people live where masks are not needed and so they are not worn. Sturgis is one of those places."

I don't see an exception for Sturgis at the following link

South Dakota Department of Health:
Everyone should wear a cloth face covering when in public settings
(Bolding by South Dakota Department of Health)

Coronavirus updates and information
Coronavirus updates and information

There is no place in this country without Covid. And it seems like people are failing to grasp how masks work if they think they need to reach some really high level of local transmission before needing to put any effort into avoiding more. It makes no sense at all.

Ok I misunderstood you to be saying they were mandatory. So they are doing nothing illegal. If they can social distance that should work. This is like where I live. They are only mandatory on public transport here in Wales ( because social distancing cannot be maintained ).

I'm sorry
I didn't mean to be argumentative
I think it comes from being scared

First Rally daily briefing discusses the differences this year

" “It seems to be a lot of individuals seeking some freedom and escape from what they’ve been experiencing for months in their home states,” Daniel Ainslie, the city manager for the city of Sturgis says. Ainslie also points out that they have heard from many out-of-state visitors that they are thankful to be in the Black Hills. "

" “I think more people are riding longer,” Jerry Cole, the director of rally events says.

“I think everybody is heeding that word of, in the camp grounds, stay in your family pods and go riding in the day and enjoy it.”

Also, some states require either having a negative COVID test result, or the traveling bikers must be quarantined.

For this requirement, a national vendor has set up sites for COVID testing; whoever comes to Sturgis can purchase a rapid test from the vendor.

“I think they’re setting up one in the armory, and on 1535 Lazelle Street, there will be one as well.”

If anyone is tested positive during the Rally, Sturgis has areas designated for quarantine, if necessary. " "

More info at link.

Fri Aug 7 to Sun Aug 17, 2020
250,000 in 10 days

Cancellations
ZZ Top Tribute Plays Sturgis, SD Motorcycle Rally, After Band Canceled

How Italy turned the Covid-19 disaster around - CNN

Much more at link
Nightclubs and schools aren't yet reopened, face masks are mandatory and social distancing is enforced, but summer is in full swing in this country. People are going out for dinner at restaurants, enjoying the summer tradition of an aperitivo on an open square, going on vacation and generally moving forward. It's nothing short of a miracle, especially compared to nations like Brazil and the United States, where the pandemic is still very much out of control.

Before that terrible day in March when nearly 1,000 people died, stories about how Italians were skirting the lockdown were common. Tales of clandestine dinner parties and entire apartment blocks walking the same dog just to get outside seemed to expose the Italian national pastime of bending the rules. The lockdown by then had meant that everyone but the most essential of workers were confined to within just 300 meters of their homes.

People lost jobs, businesses suffered and children lost valuable time as the country's ill-funded education system struggled to adapt to online teaching. But as hard as it was, the images of the dead, of the overcrowded hospitals, of the people -- cherished grandmothers and grandfathers -- dying alone sparked an unimaginable national grief and scared the entire country, says Gianni Rezza, director of the National Health Institute.

I'm curious how CNN concluded that Italy's national pastime is breaking the rules, more than, say, the United States or UK or France or Russia or Mexico. There are old, old jokes about rule breaking in those places (especially Russia).

A couple of days ago, I saw a man without a mask and it was rather startling because it's so rare. My first thought was that maybe he didn't have one.

In these parts, N. ON., there's a bit of excitement that goes along with wearing a mask. People have embraced it.

Did your friend do the 8 housecalls without wearing a mask?

He follows the wishes of the client, in regard to masks, but he is of the opinion that certain news reporting vastly overblows the actual risk. He's heard enough stories of one family member getting really sick while everyone else in the house tested negative and had no symptoms, to believe that there is something fundamental to virus transmission that is still not understood.

I'm sorry
I didn't mean to be argumentative
I think it comes from being scared
No problem. It's good to discuss and understand differences around the world and within states and counties in the US. If we are having problems understanding the differences between recommended, necessary and mandated and subject to fines then everyone will be also. Just do what is best in one's own particular situation.

Had something interesting happen last night. I went out and my friends and I were commenting on how packed the place was - unlike anything we'd seen since before all this. Then we heard that one of the owners saw it on his spy cams and called the staff to start clearing people out. Someone is going be flayed alive - so dangerous, as all it takes is one person getting take out to snap a viral picture and ruin it for everyone. I guess the servers saw an opportunity to make up some tips and just started seating people everywhere.

A little project on Sturgis.

I had some help with this. We watched live streaming from 3 cameras, and live streamed videos from 4 campgrounds, 6 bars and dozens of people just walking around. We were able to get a good sample of license plates and are doing the same thing again today.

I also reached out to some business owners on a few platforms and got about 10 responses.

The 250,000 number may materialize. That number is for a 10 day period. One business owner said that the first weekend is always a bit slower and indeed, there was less live entertainment. It's already twice as crowded today, Sunday, than yesterday as people have to drive quite a ways to get to Sturgis. Some people arrived much earlier, but many visitors had not yet arrived yesterday. Two business owners said they thought it would be lower than 250,000. Last year, it was estimated at 500,000 so if it's half, that does cut down risk. If it is only 100-150,000, so much the better (in terms of CoVid, not business).

I compared yesterday's videos to last year's videos, to get a sense of what was different.

No masks. Out of a sample of about 1000 people that I actually counted, there was 1 mask. My partners found the same stat (or no masks at all). This did not include employees at businesses.

But, here are the things that may mitigate an outbreak of CoVid, see what you think:

• Live music is now at outdoor venues (last year, they used a big indoor venue in addition to outdoor venues)
  • There are several bars whose interior space resembles a warehouse or hangar, with overhead fans and all outdoor doors and windows open. There was plenty of room for social distancing. Most people were able to employ that tactic if they wished.
  • Tables and barstools are further apart in most places.
  • Circles on the ground for outdoor venues were drawn so that people could remain in their "bubbles."
  • Employees at some businesses are wearing masks.
  • Some indoor vendors moved outdoors under tent-like awnings.
  • Hand sanitizer was visible at the entrance to most of the bars (and, I'd assume, some other businesses)
  • Campgrounds were largely inhabited by people with self-contained RV's and trailers, obviating the need to use public restrooms.
  • One campground host said that there were way fewer people and that some people wanted to park "away from the action" in places where they weren't as close to other people. This was easy to do, the campgrounds are huge.
Here are some concerning variables:
  • Average age of people on the street looks to be around 60, maybe older.
  • Many people older than 65.
  • Way more males than females.
  • Many overweight and obese people.
  • Air quality on streets in town is poor, continuous output of particulate matter from cycles
  • People didn't always use social distancing even when it was possible
  • Two way pedestrian traffic and some completely non-distanced lines to get into some businesses
  • People sharing drinks in bars and waitresses pouring shots directly into mouths of consumers via squirt bottle devices that come very close to and possibly touch lips
It's fairly warm in Sturgis, lots of sun. My own perspective is that CoVid is rarely transmitted outdoors and out of a sample of about 400 people taken yesterday afternoon, none of the walkers went into a store. Many people of course weren't pedestrians at all, but rode round and round Main Street over and over on their bikes.

License plates were mostly from Wyoming, Montana, Wisconsin, Idaho, Nebraska and Colorado. There were, however, a few from Washington, Oregon and California, which surprised me. Campground owner said more people from California, Arizona, Minnesota, Michigan and Utah would arrive today. He also said that they had reservations from people in Florida, the Carolinas, Missouri, Mississippi and Texas for people arriving Monday-Wednesday. Those are long trips and would obviously involve public restrooms, probably convenience stores (a vector), and gas stations (a vector).

Idaho began to see a rise in cases around the third week of June, which peaked on July 26. It was a very steep increase. In the first week of June, new diagnosed cases sat at around 50-60 per day. On July 26, there were 913 cases . Fourth of July travel to and through Idaho clearly played some role. The deaths from that rise in cases are still being recorded and have not yet peaked. It's almost exactly the 6% death rate per case that we're seeing worldwide.

Today's observations: most of the workers at the outdoor booths that I've seen so far are masked. Crowds are way larger than yesterday, but there are a few more masks. I stopped counting after about 300 people, but observed 6 masks, more than yesterday. People are taking business cards, trinkets, and flyers from those handing them out on Main Street. More people are carrying merchandise bags, and in the part of town without outdoor vending I can see many going in and out of stores. People are handing their cell phones to others for group pictures, not sure how frequent that is. More women on the street, many solo, perhaps as it is still bright day light and it is very crowded.

I have tons of questions of course, which I can't answer. Can CoVid be transmitted by ungloved handling of plastic bags from stores? Will the 6 foot tall people be more vulnerable? I wish we could know whether people who go into the small indoor bars fare worse than those going into the huge warehouse style bars/venues. What about the rally itself? I watched last year's events (snippets) and there's tons of touching, 2-5 people jointly pushing cycles or messing with cycles, heads together, bodies touching, many were shirtless. I don't think CoVid spreads through sweat, but I sure do wonder about its persistence on damp human bodies.

Anyway, if a person were determined to have a safer Sturgis experience this year, they could surely have one. It amazes me how many old people are there and how many older obese people are out without masks. The people with masks, today, look to be under 40. Go figure. Maybe they have symptoms?

I'm going to reach out to some of the social media types who are tweeting and youtubing and see what they observed, as obviously, they are seeing way more than I am. I don't get the feeling that people are randomly meeting up with strangers on the street or in bars, for lively conversation (which was clearly happening last year). At one bar, I saw quite a few people shaking hands - but also a couple of men who preferred fist bumps.

While typing, I saw 1 more mask...on a man who appears around age 30. Why aren't the older people wearing masks?

Meanwhile, over in Jackson, WY, there are way more motorcycles in the traffic flow, heading toward Yellowstone (and then probably to Sturgis, as it is every year). ID, CA, NV, AZ plates as well as NM, UT and of course WY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018