Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #75

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The leading group of scientists advising the Federal Government says there is still no clear frontrunner in the global race to develop a COVID-19 vaccine, and picking a winner after six months is like "betting on a horse race".

As pressure grows across the world to lock in a supply of a COVID-19 vaccine, the Australian Academy of Science's latest update to the Federal Government advises it is still "too early" and backs Australia's current wait-and-see approach.

It's too early to pick a winner in the race to develop a coronavirus vaccine, Australian scientists tell the Federal Government

More retail giants have joined the call for customers to wear face coverings when shopping in NSW.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian recommended earlier this month all residents of the state get into the habit of wearing a mask when in public, but she fell short of making it compulsory.

Woolworths shoppers were subsequently “strongly encouraged” to cover their face while shopping in NSW, ACT and parts of Queensland.

Kmart and Coles have since announced they will be asking their customers to do the same when collecting goods from outlets in NSW
.Kmart and Coles introduce new face mask policy for shoppers

But, don't they stop on the way for fuel, food and restroom?

Fuel yes. Pay at the pump as they travel.

Their motor homes allow them to pack food at home before they leave, has mini fridge and lots of coolers, and restroom/shower is in their travel camper.

I can't aspire to having such luxuries, but they do.

NZ cases are growing. Such a shame. Jacinda will likely keep Auckland locked down for a while now, I would think.

"We have a total of 14 new confirmed cases to report today, the 13 in the community associated with the other community cases already and the one new one from managed isolation," Dr Bloomfield said.

"Given that they are linked, we are treating them as a cluster and we fully expect there to be new cases."

One of the new cases is a student at Auckland's Mount Albert Grammar School. That student was asymptomatic while at school and had not attended since becoming unwell.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said today's 14 additional coronavirus cases show "the seriousness of the situation".
"While it is serious, it is being dealt with in an urgent but calm and methodical way," Ms Ardern said.
"As we all learnt from our first experience with COVID, once you identify a cluster, it grows before it slows. We should expect that to be the case here."

New Zealand records 13 new coronavirus cases linked to family cluster

Column: I had COVID-19, and these are the things nobody tells you
A sports columnist with the LA Times got and recovered from covid-19. He says he was being very careful for months, but let his guard down while dining at an outdoor restaurant with friends:
The weekend before my symptoms appeared, for the first time in four months, I met friends for two dinners at two socially distanced patio tables. Nobody is required to wear masks at the tables, so I removed my mask when I sat, as did my dining partners, and we left them off during the entire time we were at the table.

I didn’t do anything that was prohibited, right? I was just following the rules, right?

My guess is that I caught it there.

I’m not so sure he was”just following the rules”. I think he was incorrect where he says “you are not required to wear masks at the table.” You take it off to eat the meal, yes, but you don’t keep it off the entire time at the table.

This other article is about San Francisco restaurants being frustrated by diners such as this sports columnist not following their rules, so made a great graphic poster to educate the diners.

The poster illustrates diners are to mask up while waiting for your table, anytime not eating or drinking at the table, when staff or server approach your table, and anytime you leave the table, as in going to the restroom. (To see black and white poster, scroll down a bit at the link)

Frustrated by Diners That Don’t Understand Mask Laws, SF Restaurants Hang Graphics-Heavy Signs

MOO

Covid-19 cases spreading 'rapidly' in Orkney

NHS Orkney says it is "profoundly concerned" that Covid-19 is spreading "rapidly" across the islands.

The health board's chief executive Michael Dickson said several people had developed symptoms and travelled to homes in the isles and the mainland.

The warning comes as NHS Grampian said it was investigating a case of Covid-19 connected to a primary school in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire.

The health board said it was working to establish close contacts.

NHS Orkney has reported no confirmed cases of the virus since 15 June.

But Michael Dickson said he was aware of a "significant number" of positive cases, some of which would be attributed to mainland health board figures.

This happens when a patient's home address is registered off-island.

It is not known exactly how many people have tested positive for the virus in the islands, or if they are linked to the Aberdeen cluster.

Somehow there are those who really believe the pandemic is over, finished, done. The feeling is that it's not in their community, never will be. Why wear a mask? Why not party? Why not have rallies like Sturgis?
There have been some "sob stories" here in Swedish newspapers from people who have taken a charter trip to the Mediterranean and ended up in quarantine, or where the "all inclusive buffet" isn't the same as it was before corona. Just because Sweden haven't done a full lockdown, and the travel restrictions to some countries have been lifted, how ignorant has one have to be to think that everything will be as before the corona?

How A Florida School District of 45,000 Plans To Reopen With Covid-19 Precautions | NBC Nightly News

This video shows a school water fountain and says no more drinking from the water fountains..I had a flashback of the “mono“ days...

Didn’t we learn “drink from the fountain” and you could get “mono” lol
Appreciate the try to open, but this virus seems to be everywhere. No safe place, and IMO schools are not safe.

What's sad is that is seems to be clear that unhealthy children, children with chronic illness (and everyone else with same) and the elderly don't really matter as much. This is really changing how I view humans and the stories they like to tell themselves.
Never thought we, as a people, would be here, did we? Thought people were considerate, polite, cared about others. Sure shakes this belief.

I have three friends that have been doing the motor home routine during the pandemic. They are very aware, and I think it is great that they have been blessed to have the ability to do such during retirement.

I have a retired work friend from your neck of the woods, who was traveling the US in a motor home. Once they saw the pandemic was going to be long term they returned home.

I really enjoyed the daily updates of their adventures and travel.

Last edited:
NZ cases are growing. Such a shame. Jacinda will likely keep Auckland locked down for a while now, I would think.

"We have a total of 14 new confirmed cases to report today, the 13 in the community associated with the other community cases already and the one new one from managed isolation," Dr Bloomfield said.

"Given that they are linked, we are treating them as a cluster and we fully expect there to be new cases."

One of the new cases is a student at Auckland's Mount Albert Grammar School. That student was asymptomatic while at school and had not attended since becoming unwell.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said today's 14 additional coronavirus cases show "the seriousness of the situation".
"While it is serious, it is being dealt with in an urgent but calm and methodical way," Ms Ardern said.
"As we all learnt from our first experience with COVID, once you identify a cluster, it grows before it slows. We should expect that to be the case here."

New Zealand records 13 new coronavirus cases linked to family cluster
It now appears most of the quarantine staff have never been tested, a total stuff up.

It now appears most of the quarantine staff have never been tested, a total stuff up.

Victoria's hotel quarantine was a complete disaster ... they basically pulled in pub bouncers, gave them no training, let alone not covid testing them.

ADF quarantine personnel seemed to do much better in NSW. A far more disciplined crew.

I see the NZ possible 'quarantine breach' is expected to be aired in a couple of days.

NZ deputy PM suspects breach of hotel quarantine to blame for outbreak

Last edited:
oh Jerry :(

Dallas Cowboys will play in front of fans in 2020, will possibly use 'pod' formula at AT&T Stadium

"The Dallas Cowboys plan on playing football, and we plan on playing in front of our fans," Jerry Jones told media in the club's first training camp press conference. "I think it's important. I think it's important individually. I think it's important for the country. The NFL can be an inspirational part of how we address COVID, not only this year but how we go into 2021."

The question then becomes how many will be allowed into AT&T Stadium, an arena that routinely houses more than 100,000 fans on any given game day.

"I don't have an expectation," said Jones. "We're dealing with a moving target. I won't speculate on the number."

"The people that will be there will be there of their own volition," Jones said. "… Our fans will be in the stadium because they've chosen to be there. As we ourselves have. … I'm confident we have a very educated situation [regarding how to prevent the spread of COVID-19], and that our fans can come and have a great experience."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member