Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #76

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been several studies which show that it had no effect on preventing the virus.
Which countries used it early or at any other time?
Malaria drug touted by Trump fails to prevent COVID-19 in high profile study
Here is the study:

COVID-19 Treatment Analysis

Global HCQ studies. PrEP, PEP, and early treatment studies show efficacy, while late treatment shows mixed results.

The latest international testing of hydroxychloroquine treatment of coronavirus shows countries that had early use of the drug had a 79% lower mortality rate than countries that banned the use of the safe malaria drug

hcq-covid-600x454.jpg

There have been several studies which show that it had no effect on preventing the virus.
Which countries used it early or at any other time?
Malaria drug touted by Trump fails to prevent COVID-19 in high profile study

Wouldn't be the first time we have trialled things that have already been proved/disproved elsewhere.

I remember when a friend of mine had to do a study among her aged care clients about whether cranberry juice helped in treating urinary tract infections. I said that it had already been proved (that it assisted) elsewhere, I recalled that from when I lived in the US. She commented that she knew that, but her organisation insisted she do a local study.

Here is the study:

COVID-19 Treatment Analysis

Global HCQ studies. PrEP, PEP, and early treatment studies show efficacy, while late treatment shows mixed results.

The latest international testing of hydroxychloroquine treatment of coronavirus shows countries that had early use of the drug had a 79% lower mortality rate than countries that banned the use of the safe malaria drug

hcq-covid-600x454.jpg
Those countries have some of the worst cases and deaths for the virus in the world. IMO, I don't think that that proves anything.

Those countries have some of the worst cases and deaths for the virus in the world. IMO, I don't think that that proves anything.

Apparently, we are going to trial it as a preventative and not a treatment. I think katy's linked data is using HCQ as a treatment?

I am not sure how anyone measures a preventative ... unless they stick them in a room full of covid positive people while not wearing any PPE. o_O

Otherwise it could be any number of reasons why a person does not catch the virus ... good PPE, good natural resistance, good physical distancing and hygiene. I mean, who is going to intentionally set themselves up to catch the virus?

Covid party, anyone?

Last edited:
It's behind a paywall, so I cant read all the details, but it makes me wonder why the disruptive change in the first place (the reasons given didn't seem to pan out) and why the sudden reversal?

I'm glad, though, since having all the data centralized with the CDC and publicly accessible to researchers, hospitals, reporters etc. seemed the best strategy for tracking the situation in a timely, accurate and accountable manner.

Apparently Dr. Birx says a new system with the CDC is being implemented soon?

I'm sorry about the source being behind a paywall- here is another source with similar story/information

Birx says data collected from hospitals during coronavirus pandemic has been "extraordinarily important" - CNN
Birx says data collected from hospitals during coronavirus pandemic has been "extraordinarily important" - CNN

Wouldn't be the first time we have trialled things that have already been proved/disproved elsewhere.

I remember when a friend of mine had to do a study among her aged care clients about whether cranberry juice helped in treating urinary tract infections. I said that it had already been proved (that it assisted) elsewhere, I recalled that from when I lived in the US. She commented that she knew that, but her organisation insisted she do a local study.

Moo..in the beginning it was compassionate use only.

We have 6 NH outbreaks in our health district. The initial treatment is hydroxychloroquine, zpack and 60% recover and have mild/moderate symptoms.

My BFs sister who smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day, severe COPD and other comorbidities, former military was in NH for physical therapy. She tested positive and they started the meds immediately and moved her to the Covid wing.

We just knew she was not gonna make it and would be transferred to the hospital. The only symptoms... low-grade temp for 3 days and diarrhea.

She's home and Covid free for about 20 days, now. I do feel there was some devine intervention with all her comorbidities. At the NH some deteriorated quickly, about 60% improve at the facility.

Moo....

Last edited:
Let's up the ante on the college parties. 17 students suspended, 50 quarantined at St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN.
17 St. Olaf College Students Suspended, 50 In Quarantine After COVID-19 Exposure At Off-Campus Party

I'll top that with...Radford College take out Bluefield College Football team

Radford social gathering leads to 19 Bluefield College football players getting coronavirus

Bluefield College announced Wednesday that 19 cases of the coronavirus among members of its football team trace back to a social gathering last weekend in Radford.

The college did not say how many players made the trip to Radford.

Now, all members of the football team have to quarantine and are suspended from campus activities until Aug. 26.

Last edited:
I'm sorry about the source being behind a paywall- here is another source with similar story/information

Thanks, I was hoping she had given an update on the CDC software development. I'm keeping my eye on this. I see several of the modeling companies are looking for software engineers. Kinda leads me to believe CDC is getting close to launch or at least test.

The more information the modelers have, the we can see into the future and plan.

Moo....

Texas

Total Tests

Antibody Tests
as of 8/19/2020

————————————————
562,559 Cases Reported
10,793 Fatalities
119,806 Estimated* Active Cases
431,960 Estimated* Recoveries

Counties Reporting Cases
251 of 254

Last edited:
Contact tracing is only as good as people's memory and their willingness to admit where they went and how long they stayed.

Since early March I have kept a daily log of where I went and who I was around. I know my memory would not be complete if I were to be asked for my locations and contacts going back two weeks.

It will help if I end up with the virus, but will also help me know my own exposure if others in my community test positive. For example, if tracers put the word out that someone contagious used the ATM on Thursday, I don't expect to naturally remember whether I used it Wednesday (no exposure) or Thursday (exposure) -- but my daily log will tell me.

I thought it could also be done from phone locations?

It's behind a paywall, so I cant read all the details, but it makes me wonder why the disruptive change in the first place (the reasons given didn't seem to pan out) and why the sudden reversal?

I'm glad, though, since having all the data centralized with the CDC and publicly accessible to researchers, hospitals, reporters etc. seemed the best strategy for tracking the situation in a timely, accurate and accountable manner.

Apparently Dr. Birx says a new system with the CDC is being implemented soon?
IIRC it was initially done so that Remdesivir could be provided direct to the hospitals, based on their stats, I believe.

They have averaged the populations and the deaths. It is also a very recent study that @katydid23 posted.

Here are two more recent articles also.

Hydroxychloroquine being 'discarded prematurely'

Hydroxychloroquine could save tens of thousands of lives from Covid-19 but it's been politicised | Daily Mail Online

And one more successful study.

COVID-19 Outpatients – Early Risk-Stratified Treatment with Zinc Plus Low Dose Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin: A Retrospective Case Series Study

Last edited:
Moo..in the beginning it was compassionate use only.

We have 6 NH outbreaks in our health district. The initial treatment is hydroxychloroquine, zpack and 60% recover and have mild/moderate symptoms.

My BFs sister who smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day, severe COPD and other comorbidities, former military was in NH for physical therapy. She tested positive and they started the meds immediately and moved her to the Covid wing.

We just knew she was not gonna make it and would be transferred to the hospital. The only symptoms... low-grade temp for 3 days and diarrhea.

She's home and Covid free for about 20 days, now. I do feel there was some devine intervention with all her comorbidities. At the NH some deteriorated quickly, about 60% improve at the facility.

Moo....
Did they put her on nicotine patches do you know, out of interest?

Regarding New Zealand, it is probably a good idea to compare with Kentucky, as they have a similar population size.

New Zealand
Total cases
Yesterday: +5
Total cases (14 days)

+96
Deaths
Yesterday: +0
Case fatality rate 1.3%

Kentucky has 43,700 cases and over 800+ deaths so case fatality rate over 2%.

Cases
+700
Deaths
+14

The secret is to keep the case numbers down as NZ has done admirably but as they have no land borders and are 3 thousand miles from another country, they do have a little bit of an advantage.

Twenty-two people have died from coronavirus in New Zealand, versus 170,000 in US. There can be no denying that NZ is the model success story for Public Health. Leaders from nearly every country in the world are looking at how NZ managed so well.

Jacinda Ardern has today expressed her pride in the NZ people's response to the small covid outbreak they have had.

"Very proud"
" .... it’s not just whether you have cases, it’s how you choose to deal with them as a nation, and I am personally very proud of how New Zealanders have taken to the battle with Covid-19.”

“New Zealand is among a small number of countries that still has low rate of Covid cases, and one of the lowest Covid death rates in the world,” she said.

“I think anyone who’s following Covid and its transmission globally will quite easily see that New Zealand’s nine cases in a day does not compare ........ in fact does not compare to most countries in the world,” she said.

Jacinda Very Proud

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members