Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #76

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it could also be done from phone locations?

It was mentioned awhile back, but it hasn't caught on.

Earlier in this pandemic, Apple and Google joined forces to help create a shared underlying technology for digital contact tracing apps. But at least in the United States, they haven’t caught on. Apple and Google’s tech only work with apps developed by government health authorities. And almost no states have developed those apps.

What happened to coronavirus contact tracing on our phones?

Regarding New Zealand, it is probably a good idea to compare with Kentucky, as they have a similar population size.

New Zealand
Total cases
Yesterday: +5
Total cases (14 days)

+96
Deaths
Yesterday: +0
Case fatality rate 1.3%

Kentucky has 43,700 cases and over 800+ deaths so case fatality rate over 2%.

Cases
+700
Deaths
+14

The secret is to keep the case numbers down as NZ has done admirably but as they have no land borders and are 3 thousand miles from another country, they do have a little bit of an advantage.
Doesn't it make you want to go out and buy your own personal island?

Earlier in this pandemic, Apple and Google joined forces to help create a shared underlying technology for digital contact tracing apps. But at least in the United States, they haven’t caught on. Apple and Google’s tech only work with apps developed by government health authorities. And almost no states have developed those apps.

We are way behind China and South Korea with this technology.

From the article this seems a bit naughty.

"The BBC details how authorities can link that data to individuals, who then become unwitting participants in a TV show called “Are You at Home?” where a host video calls residents to try to catch them breaking stay-at-home orders."

Last edited:

Virginia used a VA based software company, utilizing Google technology to develop the first state app.

The concern has been, it automatically notifies the SHD if you report yourself Covid positive and they immediately contact the person.

Has not been a overwhelming response,

Our colleges are tracking on campus movement of students with their chipped ID access cards.

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/covidwise/

How It Works
COVIDWISE uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology to quickly notify users who have likely been exposed so you can reduce the risk of infection for your friends and family and help Virginia stop the spread.

Last edited:
Coronavirus: Households banned from meeting in Oldham, Pendle and Blackburn - as Birmingham added to watch list

Oldham, Pendle and Blackburn have escaped full local lockdowns, but strict new social distancing measures have been introduced instead following a spike in coronavirus cases.

Different households will no longer be able to meet with each other in the three areas in any setting, including in parks and beer gardens - while extra coronavirus restrictions which were in force in Wigan, Darwen and Rossendale have been removed.

Birmingham has also been added to this week's watch list as an "area of enhanced support", meaning it will receive extra resources for additional testing and contact tracing, and Northampton becomes an "area of intervention", placing it in the highest risk category and requiring the most support.

Virginia used VA based software company, utilizing Google technology to develop the first state app.

The concern has been, it automatically notifies the SHD if you report yourself Covid positive and they immediately contact the person.

Has not been a overwhelming response,

Our colleges are tracking on campus movement of students with their chipped ID access cards.

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/covidwise/

How It Works
COVIDWISE uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology to quickly notify users who have likely been exposed so you can reduce the risk of infection for your friends and family and help Virginia stop the spread.

At our university, we've been asked to voluntarily download an app for the mandated daily health checks everyone is supposed to self-administer before coming on campus, for fever, etc. but there hasn't been a very positive response. The information is reported to the university anonymously, we are told, but most on campus don't want their privacy breached and have low trust in these kinds of statements about anonymity

Coronavirus: Factory that makes sandwiches for M&S forced to close after staff outbreak

A factory in Northampton that makes sandwiches for M&S has been forced to close after a coronavirus outbreak among staff, bosses have said.
The Greencore factory, which employs around 2,100 people, said it hopes to be back to "substantial" production levels 14 days from Friday.

It said all staff who have not already begun self-isolating would be sent home today.
Last week, 292 workers at the factory had tested positive for coronavirus - some through the NHS, but mostly by a private testing program introduced by the company.

I thought it could also be done from phone locations?
Yes I believe it's possible, either with apps or just with a snartphone's location services.

However, that would not include whatever personal information might be useful.

Yes, you want to know you went to X restaurant, but you also want to note with whom you ate or talked.

Yes, you want to recall when you went to the store, but you also want to note which friend or neighbor you ran into and had a five minute face to face chat with, as well as the name of your "usual" clerk, if such details are known.

If I were to use my phone for such a purpose, I would definitely augment the phone's data with notes about who I saw or talked to at any length while I was there.

It seems obvious to me that simply being in a store with others isn't considered a high risk by the contact tracers, because we don't see notices being put out saying "if you were in Safeway between 2 and 4 pm on Tuesday you may have been exposed".

It's the people you have longer contacts with that are considered the higher risk. (obviously excepting someone who is actively coughing or sneezing in public).

IMO

I guess 9 cases in NZ (pop 4.8m) are deemed as terrible and serious as 7 cases from Sturges are in Nevada (pop 2.9m) .

I believe the 9 cases are not in Nevada but in Nebraska, the neighboring state to South Dakota.

At our university, we've been asked to voluntarily download an app for the mandated daily health checks everyone is supposed to self-administer before coming on campus, for fever, etc. but there hasn't been a very positive response. The information is reported to the university anonymously, we are told, but most on campus don't want their privacy breached and have low trust in these kinds of statements about anonymity

VT and several Virginia colleges instituted chip ID badges to gain entry to all campus buildings, even for dinning hall food programs, not long after the Virginia Tech shooting. It was designed as a safety measure now being used to track and contact trace. They also have a rapid emergency notification system for cell phones.

Last edited:
Yes I believe it's possible, either with apps or just with a snartphone's location services.

However, that would not include whatever personal information might be useful.

Yes, you want to know you went to X restaurant, but you also want to note with whom you ate or talked.

Yes, you want to recall when you went to the store, but you also want to note which friend or neighbor you ran into and had a five minute face to face chat with, as well as the name of your "usual" clerk, if such details are known.

If I were to use my phone for such a purpose, I would definitely augment the phone's data with notes about who I saw or talked to at any length while I was there.

It seems obvious to me that simply being in a store with others isn't considered a high risk by the contact tracers, because we don't see notices being put out saying "if you were in Safeway between 2 and 4 pm on Tuesday you may have been exposed".

It's the people you have longer contacts with that are considered the higher risk. (obviously excepting someone who is actively coughing or sneezing in public).

IMO

I believe the 9 cases are not in Nevada but in Nebraska, the neighboring state to South Dakota.

Yes sorry you're right, my mistake.
Nebraska population 1.9m and I think it was 7 cases. MOO.
Cases
Deaths
1.2 % case fatality rate
(It still is a similar point based on the low numbers though.)

Re the contact tracing via phone, it would pick up everyone you were close to, whether you knew or remembered them or not and how long the contact was for.

Using research from more than a decade ago, UMass researchers discover a coronavirus breakthrough
more at link
Studies conducted more than a decade ago laid the foundation for researchers at UMass Medical School in identifying antibodies that may provide immunity to COVID-19.

In an announcement Friday morning, researchers at MassBiologics of UMass Medical School said they discovered antibodies that may provide effective immunity in the respiratory system against COVID-19.

While COVID-19 began appearing in the United States earlier this year, the research revealed Friday by UMass Medical School dates back to around 2004. Sixteen years ago MassBiologics developed an antibody that was effective toward SARS, a similar virus to COVID-19.

As south begins ‘to turn tide’ of outbreak, COVID-19 death rate should drop, CDC says
more at link
The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday that he believes the death rate of the coronavirus in the United States should start to drop next week.

In an interview with the Journal of the American Medical Association, Robert Redfield said mitigation steps such as face coverings, social distancing and prohibiting large gatherings should result in positive signs as the country continues to battle the virus.

Yes sorry you're right, my mistake.
Nebraska population 1.9m and I think it was 7 cases. MOO.
Cases
Deaths
1.2 % case fatality rate
(It still is a similar point based on the low numbers though.)

Re the contact tracing via phone, it would pick up everyone you were close to, whether you knew or remembered them or not and how long the contact was for.

I guess it would, if everyone carried a smartphone.

That's not the case where I live so I tend to forget that it might be more universal in other places.

I guess 9 cases in NZ (pop 4.8m) are deemed as terrible and serious as 7 cases from Sturges are in Nevada (pop 2.9m) .

The two accounts are not comparable. Because of the time it can take for symptoms to appear and the way coronavirus cases are tracked in the United States, with multiple health departments in different states, officials may never be able to track the Covid spread that came from Sturges.

We may continue to hear isolated cases, but the sum will likely never be known. What is known, is that the majority of residents from Sturgis did not support the rally.

Apparently, we are going to trial it as a preventative and not a treatment. I think katy's linked data is using HCQ as a treatment?

I am not sure how anyone measures a preventative ... unless they stick them in a room full of covid positive people while not wearing any PPE. o_O

Otherwise it could be any number of reasons why a person does not catch the virus ... good PPE, good natural resistance, good physical distancing and hygiene. I mean, who is going to intentionally set themselves up to catch the virus?

Covid party, anyone?

Typically what they do (and they do this with vaccines as well) is divide people into two groups, age and sex matched, who have similar lifestyles and occupations. So, for example, they divide everyone who works in the CoVid ward into 2 groups.

1 gets HCQ and the other does not. Then the wait begins. If the prior infection rate was about 1 person per 30 testing positive every week (I'm making that up - I have no idea how many negative pressure rooms they have or what PPE they have, etc), then in the HCQ group it should go down (preferably no people at all) and in the untreated group, it should remain at 1 per 30. If the group of employees was only 30 to begin with, and people were getting CoVid at an undesirable rate, then the 15 on HCQ would be able to work for a longer period of time without contracting CoVid (if HCQ actually works). Relying on a small study of this kind is not great science.

The real problem is that people really do change their behavior. Perhaps the HCQ group will be more confident and a bit more relaxed about close interactions with highly infectious patients. Perhaps they will be more confident in their private lives. Usually, there are questionnaires or surveys about this kind of thing, often requiring that participants keep daily diaries of interactions.

The people without the HCQ may likewise be more cautious - but if 2 of them get it within a month or two, and in the HCQ group, zero get it, then the study goes on a bit longer. If after 3-4 months, no one in the HCQ group gets CoVid but half the other group does - well then, they have a nice study to publish.

What usually happens though, is that the participants who didn't get the drug, upon realizing that their companions seem immune, want the drug. If it's really only 15 or even 25 in a group and 2 of them get CoVid in the first month, the placebo group is going to want HCQ.

The solution to some of this is to make absolutely sure that no one knows what drug they're getting (but being medical professionals, they all know how to research what pills look like and they're very likely to figure out whether they have a bottle of HCQ or not).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassysyl