Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #77

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the thing is here (Texas) , there’s no oversight. No one is out there doing anything to ensure safe practices are being followed. That same restaurant we were at, as we were leaving, we saw a group of five or six people going in that had NO masks. The restaurant even has signs on the door, yet they were completely disregarding them.

The rule is supposed to be, you wear masks into the restaurant, then only remove when food or drink is served. Yeah, right?

Another local restaurant here that is an Entertainment venue, same situation. People in large groups, being loud, no masks, no social distancing. I asked on the phone how they were dealing with crowds of people coming in to hear live entertainment. Their answer.... it’s all at your own risk.

It just seems that No one is taking it seriously anymore. I’ve noticed there’s no longer anything in the local news about Covid here either. It’s as though they said, oh well, we’re tired of all this. Hey, I get it, I’m sick of it too. Aren’t we all? But does that recuse us of our personal and social responsibilities?

Idk, but I guess we’ll do take out from now on.
There's no way to control the behavior of others so I agree that it's best to avoid situations that put you in danger contracting the virus. JMO

I think the thing is here (Texas) , there’s no oversight. No one is out there doing anything to ensure safe practices are being followed. That same restaurant we were at, as we were leaving, we saw a group of five or six people going in that had NO masks. The restaurant even has signs on the door, yet they were completely disregarding them.

The rule is supposed to be, you wear masks into the restaurant, then only remove when food or drink is served. Yeah, right?

Another local restaurant here that is an Entertainment venue, same situation. People in large groups, being loud, no masks, no social distancing. I asked on the phone how they were dealing with crowds of people coming in to hear live entertainment. Their answer.... it’s all at your own risk.

It just seems that No one is taking it seriously anymore. I’ve noticed there’s no longer anything in the local news about Covid here either. It’s as though they said, oh well, we’re tired of all this. Hey, I get it, I’m sick of it too. Aren’t we all? But does that recuse us of our personal and social responsibilities?

Idk, but I guess we’ll do take out from now on.
:(
There’s no way I’m dining indoors for quite a while.

We can't open the ice rink due to social distancing. It's big enough for a market though, all spaced out properly.

We can't open our rinks to the public either. We have 50 person limits on all indoor spaces, and would need plexiglass barriers and contactless payment, and so many public health recommendations that would make an indoor market not too likely. But ...it's worth putting more thought into the idea. Maybe we could make it work.

Heh, no, they don't get to publish their research in a scientific journal by guessing. It is possible to read the actual research study. I imagine in a day or two there will also be more readable articles for those who don't have research or science backgrounds.

The number of cases and the rapidity of the spread are not entirely unexpected. We've all been aware of how persistently this virus finds new victims and how much work is required from everybody in order to keep it under control.
Is the IZA Institute of Labor Economics a science based company that we should base medical decisions on?

http://ftp.iza.org/dp13670.pdf

Waiting outside for a couple of minutes wasn't too bad however if it was for a long period of time it would be. We have a serious air quality problem with wildfire smoke here in California right now.

I probably would have left and done my business at another time if the wait was long.

I'm really sorry to read about the fires. I pray that everyone will be kept safe.

A question for you. Does wearing a mask make it easier or more difficult to breathe when you have to contend with wildfire smoke?

I'm really sorry to read about the fires. I pray that everyone will be kept safe.

A question for you. Does wearing a mask make it easier or more difficult to breathe when you have to contend with wildfire smoke?
I can't tell any difference although I've read that you need a N95 mask to filter smoke. The cheap ones that I have are not that good. JMO

Is the IZA Institute of Labor Economics a science based company that we should base medical decisions on?

http://ftp.iza.org/dp13670.pdf

Probably not medical decisions, since this isn't a medical report, but future economic decisions will likely reference this report. The Sturgis event was held because there was a belief that it was economically worth taking the risk that the virus would spread. Based on the report, it is apparent that there was no economic gain, but rather, a significant net cost.

This face mask can also help you with wildfire smoke, experts say. If you can find one

Cloth face coverings and medical masks have been recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to slow the spread of the virus, but they aren’t effective in filtering out smoke, ABC7 News reported.

It’s best to wear N95 masks, which filter out 95 percent of hazardous matter, but they’ve been in short supply during the pandemic, according to SFGate.

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article245108765.html#storylink=cpy

I can't imagine when I will feel comfortable enough to sit down in a restaurant: my husband says well our anniversary is coming up on Oct 1- where are we going this year? I said, honey it will be curb side pick up, probably from Olive Garden!!!!!
Assuming OG is still open. Seriously, though, wishing you could dine out safely.

The wipes are mildly moist anyway, of course, so I don't like to "treat" them with alcohol in the full packet because it's too difficult to know that they have all been saturated with alcohol. Currently, I have a pack of 56 Huggies natural care. That's a pretty thick stack that I will probably split into 4 or 5 separate stacks in ziplocks.

I like to use the 90% alcohol that has a cap with the little hole that sends a stream out when you squeeze it. I put a small stack in the zip lock and then squirt the alcohol on top in several "S" formations. Then i flip it and do the other side, squeeze the pack a bit to push alcohol through the entire stack, and then I'm done. I don’t measure. I just make sure that it's enough to saturate without leaving any pools of alcohol that are not absorbed by the wipe.

Is there a reason you don't use paper towels rather than wipes? I assume PT are cheaper. The original recipes I saw used paper towels, maybe with the roll cut in half so each piece isn't so big.

Thanks in advance.

Heh, no, they don't get to publish their research in a scientific journal by guessing. It is possible to read the actual research study. I imagine in a day or two there will also be more readable articles for those who don't have research or science backgrounds.

The number of cases and the rapidity of the spread are not entirely unexpected. We've all been aware of how persistently this virus finds new victims and how much work is required from everybody in order to keep it under control.
So what does using a synthetic control actually mean? I saw no evidence of the increase in cases of more than 250k that they claim. The MSM I posted has shown a big drop in new cases, so completely the opposite of what they are claiming. I also did not see that it had been peer reviewed so I am very sceptical at how they came up with that number. Is it even a scientific journal? Here's their website -

IZA | IZA - Institute of Labor Economics

ETA It looks like they took the total of all new US cases in a month (1.2 million) and said 250k of them were due to Sturgis. So that is why I am questioning exactly how they came up with that.

Last edited:
The trouble with data like this is it's very likely that the HCQ was only used on relatively "fit and healthy" patients, since it's known to be contraindicated for those who have heart conditions, etc. Unless the study was designed very carefully (control groups, etc. which are very problematic to do ethically) any reduced mortality could be caused solely by being in the "fitter and healthier" group of patients. (IE, correlation does not equal causation...)
I disagree. Most hospitalizations are not fit and healthy as they have co-morbidities. The study listed them and it did include heart disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli