Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #78

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

Websleuths is based in the US but has members from all over the world.

Any member who posts snark about another country will be permanently removed from this discussion.

Last edited:
A children's author/speaker/educator is trying to help kids out a bit during this uncertain time. She has compiled a journal for kids to write their thoughts, dreams, goals, happiness, fears, as well as provide a few fun ideas of things they can do while isolated (recipes and other things).

The aim being to assist their mental well-being, and provide them with a record that they can look back on in years to come.

One parent said their child now won't go to bed at night without writing in their journal.
I saw the inside pages. There are colourful sections to write in, a large drawn jar to write hopes and dreams in ....

Schools are picking it up as well.

xx2.JPG

(I am not sure about this link, if it is allowed? I heard about this on a nightly news show, but there are not really any other explanatory links that I can find)
COVID-19 Journal | Sharon Witt | Journal Primary & Secondary Students

Last edited:
Iowa refuses to close bars and require masks as Covid-19 cases surge in cities

Iowa’s governor, Kim Reynolds, is refusing to enforce a White House coronavirus taskforce recommendation to close bars and require people to wear masks after Covid-19 infections in some of the state’s cities surged.

Reynolds has limited bar closures to six counties including those with the universities. She would go no further than “strongly encouraging” people to wear masks, saying that they were “not a silver bullet”.

“I still believe it’s up to the governors in the various states to make those decisions,” the governor said.

Reynolds blamed “social activity among young adults” for driving the rise in coronavirus numbers. The White House task force warned that university towns need to routinely test all students “to immediately identify new cases and outbreaks and isolate and quarantine”.

Students at the University of Iowa have demanded testing after nearly 1,600 cases have been self-reported on the campus since 18 August but the university has resisted.

Reynolds also backed plans by Iowa State University to allow 25,000 spectators to attend its first college football home game of the season this week. The university reversed the decision after strong criticism.

Last edited:
Sturgis rally may have caused more than 250,000 new coronavirus cases, study finds

At least eight states have linked cases to the rally in the past two weeks.

A Minnesota man in his 60s and with underlying conditions who attended the rally died on Wednesday as a result of COVID-19. He was hospitalized and in the intensive care unit after returning from Sturgis.

South Dakota saw a 126% increase in new cases in the two weeks after the event. Neighboring states such as North Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska have also seen a rise in new cases.

This year's rally drew scrutiny after images and video appeared to show very few attendees wearing masks or observing social distancing. The lead singer for the band Smash Mouth came under fire for mocking the pandemic onstage.

Last edited:
AstraZeneca suspends leading COVID-19 vaccine trials after a participant's illness

If you read thru the article you will see that the adverse reaction has been described as transverse myelitis, a very serious inflammation of the spinal cord. Whether this is related to the vaccine ( did this person get the vaccine or a placebo) remains to be seen. This would be a very serious complication if in fact it is related to the vaccine. I hope it isn't.

AstraZeneca suspends leading COVID-19 vaccine trials after a participant's illness

If you read thru the article you will see that the adverse reaction has been described as transverse myelitis, a very serious inflammation of the spinal cord. Whether this is related to the vaccine ( did this person get the vaccine or a placebo) remains to be seen. This would be a very serious complication if in fact it is related to the vaccine. I hope it isn't.

Oh ... that's not good. I remember the cases where people suffered transverse myelitis from covid.

Would they have paused the trial if the person had a placebo? And doesn't the Oxford vaccine contain on a live virus?

May 2020
• The third case of acute transverse myelitis due to SARS-CoV-2 reported in the world.
• Possible inflammatory complications affecting the myelin in spinal cord.
• We must be vigilant of the critical neurological illnesses associated with COVID-19.
Acute transverse myelitis associated with SARS-CoV-2: A Case-Report

Last edited:
Interesting details of the clinical trial at a site in Charleston, South Carolina. This is part of the AstraZeneca trial, presumably when it gets going again after this pause, and Charleston is one of 80 U.S. sites in the 30,000 U.S. vaccine trial participants. This site will have about 1,500 participants and they have to read through a 40 page document before agreeing to participate. These are real heroes who are volunteering to protect the greater community in the near future. Especially the person who had the adverse reaction. They take risks for all of us.

Charleston testing site begins COVID-19 vaccine trials with patients

Oh ... that's not good. I remember the cases where people suffered transverse myelitis from covid.

Would they have paused the trial if the person had a placebo? And doesn't the Oxford vaccine contain on a live virus?

May 2020
• The third case of acute transverse myelitis due to SARS-CoV-2 reported in the world.
• Possible inflammatory complications affecting the myelin in spinal cord.
• We must be vigilant of the critical neurological illnesses associated with COVID-19.
Acute transverse myelitis associated with SARS-CoV-2: A Case-Report

I would imagine their investigation will determine if this was the actual vaccine or a placebo (just guessing that it was the actual vaccine) ---don't know if this is live vaccine or inactive)

England bans social gatherings above 6 for the 'foreseeable future'

New rules limiting indoor and outdoor gatherings in England to six people will remain in place for the "foreseeable future," British Secretary of State for Health and Social Care Matt Hancock said.

"I really hope we can turn this round before Christmas."

The restrictions, which will take effect Monday and be enforceable by law, will not apply to schools, workplaces or "life events" such as weddings and funerals.

Unlike the previous set of coronavirus-related guidelines, people could be fined for failing to comply with the new rules -- 100 British pounds (approximately $130) the first time, doubling on each offense up to a maximum of 3,200 British pounds (approximately $4,140),

The COVID generation. That's us whatever our ages. Wonder if we will ever get over what it's done to us, our society. We've been masked, isolated, divided as a society, plus we've experienced riots as an aside. History books will study us, as they study the 1918 Flu Epidemic.

Watch live: NIH director and U.S. surgeon general testify on coronavirus vaccines

National Institutes of Health Director Dr. Francis Collins and U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams are testifying Wednesday before the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions on coronavirus vaccines.

The hearing comes a day after AstraZeneca announced that it was pausing its late-stage trial after a "suspected serious adverse reaction" in a participant in the United Kingdom.

It also comes as infectious disease experts and scientists have said they worry the vaccine approval process in the U.S. could be polluted by politics, not science.

The CDC has asked governors and health departments to prepare to distribute a vaccine as soon as Nov. 1, just two days before the election.

Dr. Stephen Hahn, commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, has also said the agency is prepared to bypass the full federal approval process in order to make a vaccine available as soon as possible

Op-Ed: My patients can ‘feel well’ yet test positive for the coronavirus. They’re shocked, but I’m not

This is an interesting article; it kind of surprised me. A woman and her son who lived with her had a barbeque with 2 other people who did not live with them. That is only four people but they did not wear masks and they were presumably outdoors; the article doesn't say if they went in doors and sat around yakking. Anyway the mother got the virus and died. The article is about asymptomatic spreaders. It is a tale worth reading. I won't go anywhere, except to the grocery store and the doctor. I have some friends who wanted to have lunch outdoors, with masks and social distancing, but i cannot bring myself to do it.

There's no question the coronavirus pandemic has forced many Americans into financial hardship.
At least half of all households in those cities — 53 percent in New York City, 56 percent in Los Angeles, 50 percent in Chicago, and 63 percent in Houston — reported facing serious financial problems, including depleted savings, problems paying credit card bills, and affording medical bills. Black and Latino households in all four cities were particularly vulnerable

More than half of households in 4 largest U.S. cities struggled financially during pandemic, poll shows

Idk And imo at this point I don’t know how anyone doesn’t get it. This is why we need to wear masks (not under our noses and on our chins) and not be gathering Unsafely and. Unnecessarily. And why our kids can’t be on a bus to get to school. Or be in school. Or accompany and visit our loved ones in the hospital/care facilities
and that this is going to just drag on and off and on at this rate. For a long time.
I’d love to be proven completely wrong and we’ll be back to “normal” vaccine or not by early 2021. But despite my best effort of trying to see a more optimistic positive view on things. I’m doubtful.

Op-Ed: My patients can ‘feel well’ yet test positive for the coronavirus. They’re shocked, but I’m not

This is an interesting article; it kind of surprised me. A woman and her son who lived with her had a barbeque with 2 other people who did not live with them. That is only four people but they did not wear masks and they were presumably outdoors; the article doesn't say if they went in doors and sat around yakking. Anyway the mother got the virus and died. The article is about asymptomatic spreaders. It is a tale worth reading. I won't go anywhere, except to the grocery store and the doctor. I have some friends who wanted to have lunch outdoors, with masks and social distancing, but i cannot bring myself to do it.

There's no question the coronavirus pandemic has forced many Americans into financial hardship.
At least half of all households in those cities — 53 percent in New York City, 56 percent in Los Angeles, 50 percent in Chicago, and 63 percent in Houston — reported facing serious financial problems, including depleted savings, problems paying credit card bills, and affording medical bills. Black and Latino households in all four cities were particularly vulnerable

More than half of households in 4 largest U.S. cities struggled financially during pandemic, poll shows

It is interesting to see how the urban decay is escalating during this pandemic. Closed up malls, stores boarded up. Areas of the United States look pretty ragged.

The COVID generation. That's us whatever our ages. Wonder if we will ever get over what it's done to us, our society. We've been masked, isolated, divided as a society, plus we've experienced riots as an aside. History books will study us, as they study the 1918 Flu Epidemic.

The isolation part is probably the worst: people in nursing homes can't have visitors: they die alone with no one to comfort them: people in the hospital can't have visitors: all those 190,000 people died alone in the hospital. No normal funerals either. Just a horror. In times of crisis we have always relied on each other for comfort: because of this virus we can no longer do that. I remember 3 years ago when i was hospitalized for almost a week- I couldn't wait to see my husband-- and when he left I was so lonely, only waiting for his return.

US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams announced that the US Department of Health and Human Services will be issuing guidance to expand access to safe and effective coronavirus vaccines.

Adams said, per HHS, when Covid-19 vaccines are made available, state-licensed pharmacists will now be able to administer them to anyone age 3 and older.

Coronavirus update: Latest news from around the world

The Surgeon General also promised he will not let the cost of a potential Covid-19 vaccine get in the way of getting people vaccinated.

“As Surgeon General of the United States, I promise you, we will use every federal tool that we have to make sure that cost is not an obstacle for people receiving what will perhaps be the most important and highly anticipated vaccine of our lives," Dr. Jerome Adams said.

Marriott is laying off about 17% of its corporate workforce

Marriott International is laying off 673 employees at its corporate headquarters in Maryland, a sign that the pandemic-stricken travel industry isn't close to recovering. Marriott employs about 4,000 people at its Bethesda headquarters.

Marriott has furloughed thousands of hotel employees as demand dried up. It's made no secret how badly Covid-19 is destroying business, saying in May that the pandemic is "having a more severe and sustained financial impact on Marriott’s business than 9/11 and the 2008 financial crisis, combined."

The stock is down 30% for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member