Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #78

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The isolation part is probably the worst: people in nursing homes can't have visitors: they die alone with no one to comfort them: people in the hospital can't have visitors: all those 190,000 people died alone in the hospital. No normal funerals either. Just a horror. In times of crisis we have always relied on each other for comfort: because of this virus we can no longer do that. I remember 3 years ago when i was hospitalized for almost a week- I couldn't wait to see my husband-- and when he left I was so lonely, only waiting for his return.

I read these posts about isolation, fear of activities based on a "Risk Scale," not going out to eat, etc., and am so grateful that my wife, although being in several high risk categories, said, in April, "well, I have to die of something," and decided to just keep living like it is 2019. I really need to thank her.

I read these posts about isolation, fear of activities based on a "Risk Scale," not going out to eat, etc., and am so grateful that my wife, although being in several high risk categories, said, in April, "well, I have to die of something," and decided to just keep living like it is 2019. I really need to thank her.

she might change her mind when she gets it

If anyone wants to read the study that is referenced in this Fox News report today, you can find it here. The study was published back in July.

Masks Do More Than Protect Others During COVID-19: Reducing the Inoculum of SARS-CoV-2 to Protect the Wearer

From the Abstract:

Although the benefit of population-level public facial masking to protect others during the COVID-19 pandemic has received a great deal of attention, we discuss for one of the first times the hypothesis that universal masking reduces the “inoculum” or dose of the virus for the mask-wearer, leading to more mild and asymptomatic infection manifestations. Masks, depending on type, filter out the majority of viral particles, but not all. We first discuss the near-century-old literature around the viral inoculum and severity of disease (conceptualized as the LD50 or lethal dose of the virus).

We include examples of rising rates of asymptomatic infection with population-level masking, including in closed settings (e.g., cruise ships) with and without universal masking. Asymptomatic infections may be harmful for spread but could actually be beneficial if they lead to higher rates of exposure. Exposing society to SARS-CoV-2 without the unacceptable consequences of severe illness with public masking could lead to greater community-level immunity and slower spread as we await a vaccine. This theory of viral inoculum and mild or asymptomatic disease with SARS-CoV-2 in light of population-level masking has received little attention so this is one of the first perspectives to discuss the evidence supporting this theory.

she might change her mind when she gets it

We think she had it - couldn't get tested or see her doctor during the "surge." Two and a half weeks of terrible back, stomach and head pain with a fever. It didn't change her mind. May have had the opposite effect, to be honest.

I guess this is why the isolation posts stick out, to me. Shutting down for a a few weeks is one thing, but I really feel for the people that are six months into this, with no end in sight. Soon we will be hearing about the first missed Thanksgivings and Christmases. It seems that eventually, enough will become enough, but perhaps not for all.

Op-Ed: My patients can ‘feel well’ yet test positive for the coronavirus. They’re shocked, but I’m not

This is an interesting article; it kind of surprised me. A woman and her son who lived with her had a barbeque with 2 other people who did not live with them. That is only four people but they did not wear masks and they were presumably outdoors; the article doesn't say if they went in doors and sat around yakking. Anyway the mother got the virus and died. The article is about asymptomatic spreaders. It is a tale worth reading. I won't go anywhere, except to the grocery store and the doctor. I have some friends who wanted to have lunch outdoors, with masks and social distancing, but i cannot bring myself to do it.

I understand your hesitancy about doing lunch with friends. However, my DH and recently I had a socially distanced outdoor meal on a back yard patio with two other couples we have known for about 50 years. All of us are in our 70s and retired, and we all have been very careful about Covid prevention, mostly staying at home, wearing masks when in public, cleaning hands often.

We have been having Sunday afternoon socially distanced patio meetings just to chat for a couple of months, so sharing a meal seemed reasonable. One couple picked up takeout orders that each couple ordered (and paid for) from a local restaurant. Two couples sat at opposite ends of a patio dining table, and the third couple sat in chairs with a small table between them. It worked out fine. Last Sunday we decided not to do the meal but just chat.

Newark Liberty Airport (NJ) Offers Coronavirus, Antibody Tests For Passengers

People passing through Newark Liberty International Airport can now take an on-site coronavirus test.

According to the Port Authority, which oversees Newark, JFK and LaGuardia airports, travelers are seeing a completely different landscape when they pass through any of those facilities. That includes:
  • Mandatory face masks, including aboard airport buses and AirTrains
  • Only ticketed passengers are allowed entry to the terminals (with the exception of those accompanying passengers that require special assistance)
  • Plexiglass shields installed throughout the airport
  • More cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting
  • Hand sanitizer available throughout the airport

Last edited:
We think she had it - couldn't get tested or see her doctor during the "surge." Two and a half weeks of terrible back, stomach and head pain with a fever. It didn't change her mind. May have had the opposite effect, to be honest.

I guess this is why the isolation posts stick out, to me. Shutting down for a a few weeks is one thing, but I really feel for the people that are six months into this, with no end in sight. Soon we will be hearing about the first missed Thanksgivings and Christmases. It seems that eventually, enough will become enough, but perhaps not for all.

well I'm glad she's better
one missed Christmas is worth it in exchange for life IMO
it makes me sad but so be it

well I'm glad she's better
one missed Christmas is worth it in exchange for life IMO
it makes me sad but so be it
I really wish I hadnt been so blase in March. I followed all the rules but I wasnt afraid.

If I had known then, that I would pass it on to my 23 year old son and no one really knows what the long term effects may be, I think I would have insisted on working from home and definitely not visited the hairdresser.

Last edited:
Idk And imo at this point I don’t know how anyone doesn’t get it. This is why we need to wear masks (not under our noses and on our chins) and not be gathering Unsafely and. Unnecessarily. And why our kids can’t be on a bus to get to school. Or be in school. Or accompany and visit our loved ones in the hospital/care facilities
and that this is going to just drag on and off and on at this rate. For a long time.
I’d love to be proven completely wrong and we’ll be back to “normal” vaccine or not by early 2021. But despite my best effort of trying to see a more optimistic positive view on things. I’m doubtful.

it blows my mind that so many people dont get that we are living with a highly
cotagious virus and that we cannot live our lives like we did before the pandemic

What do you think? Should kids trick or treat this year?
Sit on Santa's lap for a photo?

Must be weird having young kids and trying to figure everything out. Especially schooling and can they still not play at the park, the slides and climbers and all that?

Los Angeles County bans trick-or-treating this Halloween — why health experts say 'it's a good idea'

We're having a Halloween parade this year in lieu of trunk or treat. We get to hurl candy at little kids. :) Then a double feature Halloween drive in movie at the state park. It's big enough to accommodate cars and such.

We're having a Halloween parade this year in lieu of trunk or treat. We get to hurl candy at little kids. :) Then a double feature Halloween drive in movie at the state park. It's big enough to accommodate cars and such.
Good! Nice to hear that other activities can be done to make it special.

I wonder if trick or treating will ever come back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member