Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #78

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of isolation and mental health in young adults .... what about a 19 year old young man, extremely intelligent and athletic, got burned out with school, took a gap year before college to work and is having an extremely difficult time at the moment. He has been seeing a therapist since he was 15 for social anxiety and depression. Upon turning 18, meds were introduced and we learned that he has hypothyroidism, so he also takes Synthroid.

Back in March he was working 35ish hours a week at a grocery store, had a girlfriend of 3 years, and planned to start college this fall. March 30th he had a bad day and walked off the job. ( I looked back to some FB post I had made in the weeks prior mentioning to be nice to grocery workers, because they were stressed, etc, so I should have seen this meltdown coming). He has not worked since. He broke up with his girlfriend. He talks to his guy friends on line, and rarely leaves the house.

His Synthroid had to be increased 2 weeks ago because of insomnia and other audio- immune symptoms showing their ugly face. Bottom line, this da*m pandemic is affecting his physical and mental health. He is afraid to get a job or go to school. Work from home jobs are hard to come by in our area, especially with all furloughs. Since school started, I'm trying to get him interested in tutoring, but he only wants to do that if he can do it from home.

I'm feeling like he is taking advantage of the circumstances, procrastinating and sometimes being just plain ole lazy; yet, he complains about being bored and is quite clingy to me these days which is unusual. His therapist says give him time. I'm afraid I may not truly understand these physiological symptoms...
I feel for you. I just ran mine a candlelit bath! I think we do what we do, to get them thro it and then we start to help them come out the other side when it's time. Try not to think too far ahead, just make each day as nice as you can for all of you right now. That's my advice anyway. Otherwise it becomes too overwhelming.

This pandemic can affect a persons physical and mental health. Some people will struggle more than others. Four years ago my daughter at age 19 was dealing with anxiety. She was getting outside help but one day I came home and found her ill from a suicide attempt. Through more help we got through things. She lost her job in the early days of this pandemic. I feel my job is to be patient and supportive. I know she wants her job back but is not happy with trying to work during Covid. Things are put on hold and I think these smart, young people need time to just get through this. My part is to just listen to her, it will do no good to push her into a job or so forth. I am letting her know that I am here and will not judge. Yes, it is hard because we know these people are capable of so much more than what they are doing. So what if it takes longer for them to get back into what we think is best for them. Just let them have some space. I make sure to give her extra love right now. I mostly just listen. This is hard seeing this behavior happen with her. We won't always understand all of what they are feeling. I believe from my patience and listening she is starting to mention that she is ready to consider working her job again. It may or may not happen, doesn't matter. Most importantly I will not push her but listen and encourage her. Hope things can go better for this young man as well.

I love your outlook.
As mature adults, we all know that things in life are up and down, up and down, up and down. Peaks and valleys, with some cruising through the middle.
These young adults are just at the start of that experience. And it is an extraordinary event. They will learn to cope in time. imo

Last edited:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...e-order-nightclubs-banquet-halls-bc-1.5716742

Sounds pretty arbitrary - either not thought out or deliberately targeting certain businesses, regardless of safety.

How is it arbitrary when those places have the known characteristics in which CoVid is actually transmitted by humans to each other?

As opposed to being outdoors on a trail. Which is deemed to be 95% less likely a place to get CoVid than a place where people stand next to each other, their heads near each others' heads, in an indoor place with no particular requirements for ventilation?

Restaurants are safer because at least most of the time, people remain seated and near their own parties, but in bars and banquet halls, the whole point is to move around and mingle and if you've never been to a bar where bodies are literally touching/pressed together, then...well, I envy you.

How is it arbitrary when those places have the known characteristics in which CoVid is actually transmitted by humans to each other?

As opposed to being outdoors on a trail. Which is deemed to be 95% less likely a place to get CoVid than a place where people stand next to each other, their heads near each others' heads, in an indoor place with no particular requirements for ventilation?

Restaurants are safer because at least most of the time, people remain seated and near their own parties, but in bars and banquet halls, the whole point is to move around and mingle and if you've never been to a bar where bodies are literally touching/pressed together, then...well, I envy you.

I also noticed how it was mandated that music should be turned down to a quieter level. So people didn't have to have their heads close or speak over-loudly and possibly transmit potentially deadly air/droplet transmissions.

Good news that the very ill test vaccine recipient is recovering.

AstraZeneca said a woman in the United Kingdom had symptoms consistent with a rare but serious spinal inflammatory disorder, which led to the British drugmaker's decision to stop its clinical study of the new coronavirus vaccine, Stat News has reported.

The participant was recovering and will likely be discharged from the hospital within a day, according to Stat News, which said on Wednesday the new disclosures by Astra Chief Executive Pascal Soriot were shared by three of the investors participating on conference calls.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...ad-neurological-symptoms-20200910-p55u3r.html

England bans social gatherings above 6 for the 'foreseeable future'

New rules limiting indoor and outdoor gatherings in England to six people will remain in place for the "foreseeable future," British Secretary of State for Health and Social Care Matt Hancock said.

"I really hope we can turn this round before Christmas."

The restrictions, which will take effect Monday and be enforceable by law, will not apply to schools, workplaces or "life events" such as weddings and funerals.

Unlike the previous set of coronavirus-related guidelines, people could be fined for failing to comply with the new rules -- 100 British pounds (approximately $130) the first time, doubling on each offense up to a maximum of 3,200 British pounds (approximately $4,140),

Sounds as if Boris may be settling in for the long haul.

He also announced an ambitious "moonshot" plan, which he said was not guaranteed to succeed, in which mass testing that delivers fast results could be used to grant more freedom to those confirmed not to have the virus.

"We're hopeful this approach will be widespread by the spring," he said.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe...ovid-19-infections-spike-20200910-p55u3m.html

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...e-order-nightclubs-banquet-halls-bc-1.5716742

Sounds pretty arbitrary - either not thought out or deliberately targeting certain businesses, regardless of safety.

I live in BC and these decisions are not arbitrary or targeting at all. The province of BC had, and continues to have, one of the lowest rates of Covid in Canada, both in cases per million and deaths, thanks to the expert handling by our provincial Health Officer in conjunction with our Provincial Health Minister.

We are now seeing cases rise and the spike is being attributed mostly to bars, nightclubs and banquet halls since those establishments have been allowed to reopen. Our local news and the Health Ministry publish the names and locations of where such public exposures have occurred (primarily bars and nightclubs in the Greater Vancouver area but some in the other Health Authority jurisdictions through BC).

I also noticed how it was mandated that music should be turned down to a quieter level. So people didn't have to have their heads close or speak over-loudly and possibly transmit potentially deadly air/droplet transmissions.

What a great idea! The difference in aerosols between mere talking and talking loudly is definitely a thing!

Quiet, calm music would pull me in.

Americans are often raised to be noisy, though. They will walk past a quiet bar and go into the noisy one with the same number of people. I don't get it (I think it's cultural).

wth is going on
this really is a nightmare disease

Stress. Stress of suddenly living full time with people you were trying to avoid (family members, ha).

I have cracked 3 out of 4 of my back molars (stress during certain parts of my life). I now wear a nightguard religiously as the dentist said I was still clenching so badly that I was dislodging my implanted teeth.

So...I use the nightguard most nights, I listen to whatever relaxes me, I've done hypnotherapy (which really helped - it was keyed to waking up when I was clenching badly). My clenching included neck and upper back pain and terrible headaches. You can kind of tell if a person is clenching if they press along their jaw and it hurts terribly or the sides of their head ache. Or if they bite through their nightguard.

We are all pretty stressed by this. As an older person, I was of course aware I only had so many years left to live - but I sure didn't think my life would end in a couple of decades of house arrest. I sure hope that isn't what's going to happen - because the let down and sadness for younger people - who may never get a start in life - is so much worse.

Hence, my dissatisfaction with states and individual humans who won't simply stop spreading CoVid. Testing needs to be easy and fast - and people must wear masks/social distance.

People like me might still die of CoVid eventually, but in the meantime, our societal resources need to be taken off managing a disease (which is so expensive a disease!) and put back into other goals.

Because instead of going to a nightclub, where the rules are enforced, they will go to a bar - maybe one that's become a little lax. If the authorities go after bars, then they'll go to restaurants with bars. Instead of a large banquet hall, folks will find a restaurant willing to turn a blind eye to a larger crowd than normal, or the event will be held at a private residence with no protocols in place. So it does seem like more of a feel good "let's just do something" action than anything particularly vindictive.

Because instead of going to a nightclub, where the rules are enforced, they will go to a bar - maybe one that's become a little lax. If the authorities go after bars, then they'll go to restaurants with bars. Instead of a large banquet hall, folks will find a restaurant willing to turn a blind eye to a larger crowd than normal, or the event will be held at a private residence with no protocols in place. So it does seem like more of a feel good "let's just do something" action than anything particularly vindictive.

The article clearly states that bars and restaurants now will stop serving alcohol at 10pm. Loud music and loud TVs are to be turned down to conversation level. All patrons must be seated. No dancing.

A multi-pronged approach.

Oh ... that's not good. I remember the cases where people suffered transverse myelitis from covid.

Would they have paused the trial if the person had a placebo? And doesn't the Oxford vaccine contain on a live virus?

May 2020
• The third case of acute transverse myelitis due to SARS-CoV-2 reported in the world.
• Possible inflammatory complications affecting the myelin in spinal cord.
• We must be vigilant of the critical neurological illnesses associated with COVID-19.
Acute transverse myelitis associated with SARS-CoV-2: A Case-Report

I guess it could feasibly be someone from the placebo group that has caught the virus naturally and been hospitalized.

From memory, it is from Chimp adenovirus and is not live but MOO.

It is interesting to travel now. Pack your food. More than 1/2 of the food kiosks in the two airports I was in last weekend had closed restaurants, bars closed. I was glad I had some pizza, they let me bring it thru TSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi8773