Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #79

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really having a problem with how people who get Covid are being treated in society. I am talking to people who are crying, they are being treated like lepers. Geez, I thought that our society had evolved further than victim blaming people who get a virus.

This is important. And I am not seeing a lot of sympathy or empathy for these folks. They caught a virus, often because they are out in the community working. Yes, they have to isolate and are under quarantine, along with their close contacts.

If you know of someone who is positive for COVID-19, call them. Ask if they need anything. Be their friend.
Coronavirus Today: 'I call it COVID shaming'

Such a good post @mickey2942. As we often observe with victim-blaming in crimes, it’s a way of convincing themselves it will never happen to them because they’ve taken all the right precautions. It’s how they deal with fear. Same with COVID-19 unfortunately.

As upsetting as it is to see so many flouting mask and social distancing mandates and recommendations, we can’t assume that everyone who contracts COVID-19 is one of them. The kind thing to do is to give everyone the benefit of the doubt (unless, of course, they went to Sturgis, etc. :D) Only half kidding. :mad:. But even Covidiots should be treated with kindness.
JMO

That's just in Mass. In Arizona, over 750 teachers have retired or resigned and they're having a very hard time replacing them. Class sizes are therefore larger than recommended (apparently just back to normal in some places like Prescott).
New report says Arizona is facing the worst teacher shortage it has ever seen

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) -- Arizona was already facing a teacher shortage before the pandemic, but since the start of the school year, more than 750 teachers have called it quits.

More than 40% of those teachers say COVID-19 is the reason they chose to resign or retire.

New report says Arizona is facing the worst teacher shortage it has ever seen

Sunday:
“This is a good day”

Andrews, announcing his state’s lowest daily increase since June, said he was confident of being able to make some “significant announcements” next Sunday about easing restrictions.
Victoria’s chief health officer, Prof Brett Sutton, described 14 new cases as a “very good” number, and said the state was on the “home stretch”.
'This is a good day,' says Victoria's Daniel Andrews as Covid-19 cases drop to 14

Monday:
Coronavirus cases in Victoria are continuing to fall, with just 11 infections recorded today.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/cor...e-infected-with-covid-19-20200921-p55xio.html

Britain is at a tipping point on COVID-19, Health Minister Matt Hancock said on Sunday, warning that a second national lockdown could be imposed if people don't follow government rules designed to stop the spread of the virus.

COVID-19 cases have risen sharply in recent weeks to more than 4000 per day. Prime Minister Boris Johnson has called it a second wave and stricter lockdown measures have been introduced in areas across the country - with London possibly next in line.
https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe...ble-health-minister-says-20200920-p55xhu.html

Coronavirus cases increasing in European countries in recent weeks.

A number of European countries have re-imposed local lockdowns in their worst-affected regions, and there have been renewed appeals for people to wear face coverings and follow social distancing rules.

The pattern of rising infections following the loosening of lockdown restrictions is not limited to Europe.

Israel has imposed a new national lockdown after recording a record number of daily cases in recent days.

Other countries that have seen a resurgence of the virus include Peru, South Korea and Australia - although following the reintroduction of tougher restrictions most of these are now seeing cases fall again.

xx2.JPG

Tracking the pandemic: Where are the global hotspots?

Last edited:
You are correct. I had missed that just glossing over the headline...so glad I saw your post, thank you:

“To disinfect against coronavirus, the company said customers should apply full-strength Pine-Sol with a clean sponge or cloth on a surface, wait 10 minutes, then rinse. For heavily soiled surfaces, the company said precleaning to remove excess dirt first is required.“

Pine-Sol cleaner has been approved to kill coronavirus on hard surfaces - CNN

i could never take the strong smell of Pine Sol-- i use alcohol or soap on my countertops, and both kill the virus

‘No more masks!’ Watch a flash mob storm through a Target store in Fort Lauderdale

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/lo...36ts3u4cXwjQOq8mIp3IpqPPpgSXoIe9G5jVuNq0oBa-4

The excellent news is 10-15 people seem to be in the minority now.

This from August:

As the coronavirus pandemic continues, a growing share of Americans say they are regularly wearing a mask or face covering in stores and other businesses. More than eight-in-ten U.S. adults (85%) say they have done so all or most of the time over the past month, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted Aug. 3 to 16. When asked the same question in early June, 65% of Americans said they had been regularly wearing masks.

More Americans say they are regularly wearing masks in stores and other businesses

The excellent news is 10-15 people seem to be in the minority now.

This from August:

As the coronavirus pandemic continues, a growing share of Americans say they are regularly wearing a mask or face covering in stores and other businesses. More than eight-in-ten U.S. adults (85%) say they have done so all or most of the time over the past month, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted Aug. 3 to 16. When asked the same question in early June, 65% of Americans said they had been regularly wearing masks.

More Americans say they are regularly wearing masks in stores and other businesses

Good grief. I won't even let anyone in our house without them wearing a mask, and make sure that we are wearing masks too. I am trying to be so careful. Not so much for me, but if my husband gets Covid, I will be a widow.

Minnesota schools... Both Minneapolis and St. Paul are online only. Metro schools are mostly hybrid (masked) with a complete online choice. Most outlying school districts are open but with an online option. Districts all have options. No plans to change right now.

I wonder how this is going to turn out for these kids, the COVID generation. When (and if) the pandemic is over, will these kids be able to form social contacts, close relations with others? How will this impact kids physically since physical ed is all but cancelled? Choir cancelled. Clubs cancelled.

Grandson in metro middle school attends two days per week, online three days, He says kids are masked all day, go to cafeteria - sit 2 to a table far apart. Note middle school is usually when kids develop socially.

Another grandson is in Grade 1, another metro district. He attends (masked all day) four days per week, online one day. Kids get meal from cafeteria, bring it to their desk to eat - away from other kids. No socialization allowed.

Last edited:
This reminds me of how many people rallied behind FDNY and other entities post 9/11, and honored the frontline heroes who sacrificed their lives.

I wish we could have seen more of this wrt to our frontline health workers.

I agree with this, and would add that this humble homemade-looking memorial board reminds me so much of the freestanding notice boards that appeared in Grand Central Terminal directly after September 11, 2001–they were covered, from corner to corner, front side and back, with handmade fliers posted by the desperate friends and family of people who could not be located in the aftermath of the attacks. Some were only words, typed or handwritten, and others had photos or drawings of the missing person, and all had phone numbers that more likely than not never received the call they were praying for. I think most people who were very young or not born when it happened tend to think of those killed that day as a homogeneous mass—the nameless, faceless “victims of September 11th”—but those fliers will always stay with me as a reminder of how diverse and deeply loved each lost individual was. I regret to say I think the same will happen with this pandemic, and folks who are very young (or not born yet) may look back at this tragedy in 20 years and just see an indistinct mass of “victims of the COVID-19 pandemic”—but I also think (hope, really) that anyone who sees these memorials will likewise carry with them an understanding of this tragedy not only on the stunningly-vast global level, but on the heartbreaking individual scale as well.

Such a good post @mickey2942. As we often observe with victim-blaming in crimes, it’s a way of convincing themselves it will never happen to them because they’ve taken all the right precautions. It’s how they deal with fear. Same with COVID-19 unfortunately.

As upsetting as it is to see so many flouting mask and social distancing mandates and recommendations, we can’t assume that everyone who contracts COVID-19 is one of them. The kind thing to do is to give everyone the benefit of the doubt (unless, of course, they went to Sturgis, etc. :D) Only half kidding. :mad:. But even Covidiots should be treated with kindness.
JMO

BBM

Covidiots = new word added in 2020

Have we heard from the wedding party?
Residents are angry after Maine wedding linked to 7 virus deaths: "We can't go nowhere"

No. The article above has done Contact Tracing, and traced cases back to the "Super Spreader" wedding.

It is interesting, because the article does give enough information to identify specific people who were positive. For example, an employee of a prison, who is linked to 80 cases in the prison. It wouldn't take a lot of work to figure out who that person is...and again, the pretty direct social anger at this couple.

Fine, they had a wedding, and instead of the "50 person limit" they had 65 people. 15 more people than "allowed". And look at the hostility directed at this couple, and the venue in the article.

Covid has definitely not brought out the best in people. Unfortunately.

Minnesota schools... Both Minneapolis and St. Paul are online only. Metro schools are mostly hybrid (masked) with a complete online choice. Most outlying school districts are open but with an online option. Districts all have options. No plans to change right now.

I wonder how this is going to turn out for these kids, the COVID generation. When (and if) the pandemic is over, will these kids be able to form social contacts, close relations with others? How will this impact kids physically since physical ed is all but cancelled? Choir cancelled. Clubs cancelled.

Grandson in metro middle school attends two days per week, online three days, He says kids are masked all day, go to cafeteria - sit 2 to a table far apart. Note middle school is usually when kids develop socially.

Another grandson is in Grade 1, another metro district. He attends (masked all day) four days per week, online one day. Kids get meal from cafeteria, bring it to their desk to eat - away from other kids. No socialization allowed.

These are some of the things that are never considered by those who only focus on eliminating all Covid-related deaths - even if that means keeping everything closed for 100 years. This, in my opinion, is why it so important that professional (and some college) sports drew a line in the sand and said "we're playing."

Our niece was telling us about the protocols in Apple stores that have reopened - mostly sanitizing every item that anyone has, or could, possibly ever touch. In the mean time, my wife and I went to In & Out Burger, and we noticed that three parties, including us, used the same table and the staff never even wiped off the last group's crumbs, let alone sanitized it. So either the restaurant is a death trap, or Apple is putting on a show for the sake of appearances.

These are some of the things that are never considered by those who only focus on eliminating all Covid-related deaths - even if that means keeping everything closed for 100 years. This, in my opinion, is why it so important that professional (and some college) sports drew a line in the sand and said "we're playing."

Our niece was telling us about the protocols in Apple stores that have reopened - mostly sanitizing every item that anyone has, or could, possibly ever touch. In the mean time, my wife and I went to In & Out Burger, and we noticed that three parties, including us, used the same table and the staff never even wiped off the last group's crumbs, let alone sanitized it. So either the restaurant is a death trap, or Apple is putting on a show for the sake of appearances.

It seems to me, that people are responsible for their own health. If you had notified a staff member at "In and Out Burger" that you wanted a cleaned and sanitized table, I am sure that your request would have been accommodated.

Where I work, we have been told that the virus is primarily spread via virus droplets, airborne. That continous cleaning of hard surfaces is not the primary deterrent for Covid prevention. That is what the CDC has stated.

One of the grocery stores I go to had an employee stationed at the entrance who made sure to spray some kind of sanitizer on the cart before you entered.

That only lasted for about a month or two. Now there's a bottle of the spray and some paper towels sitting on a table for customers to use if they care to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Let the light shine