Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #82

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a lighter note, it appears that people have been buying coronavirus-related Christmas ornaments online, and they are selling out.

Every year we add one new ornament for our tree, usually carefully chosen to represent something important in our lives that year. I am not sure what it will be this year, probably something home-made since we won't be out shopping. But I doubt it will be one of the top-selling ornaments shown in this article, although each to their own!

Coronavirus-related Christmas ornaments sell out online
I like this one
61CwHkLjZeL._AC_SX522_.jpg

I couldn’t tell what was the advice if it’s the company’s landlord asking for the test, in multi-use office buildings. That is to say, what if it’s the building who wants testing stations in the lobby, before you even get near your office? Your company’s landlord does not = your employer, and I don’t know if you have the same protections if it’s the landlord asking...?

There is some information in this article, about checking temperatures and other measures that commercial building owners might take to protect their tenants who are the employers. This link is for New York, but there are probably other articles for other cities and states.

https://rebny.com/content/dam/rebny...delines_Commercial Building Reentry_FINAL.pdf

You just cannot make this up.

Advisers are already planning campaign events with large crowds, including bus tours, airport hangar rallies, speeches at local centers and more, campaign officials said. The president's message in the final stretch, one Republican official involved in the campaign added, is likely to be: "You can beat this. It shouldn't stop your life."

White House signals stronger coronavirus precautions, but Trump continues to resist

Advisers are already planning campaign events with large crowds, including bus tours, airport hangar rallies, speeches at local centers and more, campaign officials said. The president's message in the final stretch, one Republican official involved in the campaign added, is likely to be: "You can beat this. It shouldn't stop your life."

White House signals stronger coronavirus precautions, but Trump continues to resist
Wait, what? It shouldn't stop your life? It's already stopped the lives of 210,000 Americans, permanently. And left hundreds of thousands more with permanent damage.

It shouldn't stop your life. Man, I've heard it all now. Do these people not have a shred of empathy or concern???

There has to be a way to stop this.

Last edited:

Interesting. Our county is now going back to "Stage Two" or whatever they call it..."Yellow". Because of the increasing Covid cases.

Even a high school game, got the School District cited by the county health department, for violation, having too many spectators at attendance. So, I don't see how the President could even have these rallies.

Interesting. Our county is now going back to "Stage Two" or whatever they call it..."Yellow". Because of the increasing Covid cases.

Even a high school game, got the School District cited by the county health department, for violation, having too many spectators at attendance. So, I don't see how the President could even have these rallies.
Can a judge stop him with an injunction?

It would seem there are rules for us, and different rules for them. It's shameless. But not a surprise.

On the other hand, covid has its own rules. With clear evidence of lung damage (O2 desats requiring oxygen therapy) I don't know that President Trump has the stamina to meet the requirements of a full campaign schedule. His symptoms were so severe they airlifted him to a hospital, where they pumped him full of experimental drugs and steroids and no one knows what the outcome of that will be. He's a human guinea pig at this point.

This is a high-risk patient with covid, age, heart disease, lung damage, and obesity working against him. And he wants to travel the country holding rallies? I'm quite sure any legit doctor on the planet would say this is a very bad idea.

That may be the case where you live. That's not the case where I live (California). Employers require testing all the time. Teachers have to have TB prick tests. Or they don't get paid.

California is not even an "at will" state, but in many states, an employer can fire an employee for any reason, including not following business rules.

They can't physically force a test (no one has the right to do that without a judge's order), but they can take away your job, which means that your employer just caused you not to be their employee because you wouldn't take a test.

A lot of people would experience that as strong-arming.
Yes, employment contracts like teachers, health and many professional can require vaccines, testing, etc. Unfortunately a low wage call center does not provide an employee contract. Yes, the call center could have fired them, but they were desperate for employees. One CC had a death, CDC and VOSHA were involved.

Under Virginia law, they would be required to pay unemployment, for lack of "just cause", if fired. Virginia is also, employment "at will".

I found several articles, one attached that the State of CA is an employement "at will" state.

Employment at Will: What It Really Means in California

The following is excerpted from Chapter 2 of California Employment Law: An Employer's Guide, Revised and Updated for 2017 (SHRM, 2017), written by James J. McDonald, Jr., a managing partner at the labor and employment law firm Fisher Phillips.

California's Labor Code contains a presumption that employees are employed at will. This means that either the employer or the employee may terminate employment at any time, with or without cause or prior notice. This is important for employers because "cause" is defined under California law as "a fair and honest cause or reason, regulated by good faith on the part of the employer." Employers would be significantly burdened if they had to prove to a court or jury that they acted "fairly" and "in good faith" in every employee termination.

California Code...
Codes Display Text.

2922. An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month.

Yes, employment contracts like teachers, health and many professional can require vaccines, testing, etc. Unfortunately a low wage call center does not provide an employee contract. Yes, the call center could have fired them, but they were desperate for employees. One CC had a death, CDC and VOSHA were involved.

Under Virginia law, they would be required to pay unemployment, for lack of "just cause", if fired. Virginia is also, employment "at will".

I found several articles, one attached that the State of CA is an employement "at will" state.

Employment at Will: What It Really Means in California

The following is excerpted from Chapter 2 of California Employment Law: An Employer's Guide, Revised and Updated for 2017 (SHRM, 2017), written by James J. McDonald, Jr., a managing partner at the labor and employment law firm Fisher Phillips.

California's Labor Code contains a presumption that employees are employed at will. This means that either the employer or the employee may terminate employment at any time, with or without cause or prior notice. This is important for employers because "cause" is defined under California law as "a fair and honest cause or reason, regulated by good faith on the part of the employer." Employers would be significantly burdened if they had to prove to a court or jury that they acted "fairly" and "in good faith" in every employee termination.

California Code...
Codes Display Text.

2922. An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month.

Yes, California is an "at will" state. One way the employer protects themselves is to make such a statement in the employee handbook or whatever the employer calls it. Making it clear that employment is at-will. There are exceptions, of course, for unionized workers, but most senior employees are at will.

I can't even look. I already know people who have died and I can't imagine having a keepsake ornament to commemorate mass death.
These ornaments could also perhaps be a good way to remember a loved one every Christmas, who passed away in a care home for example.

I'm so stressed out. Anxiety baaaaaaad. Sigh.
I'm sorry you're having a difficult time, Shelby. You've been through so much lately already, and this chaos and uncertainty is obviously very difficult for you.

Many of us share your anxiety in this most difficult of times. It's a lot to deal with, and you are not alone. We are here. <hugs>

On a lighter note, it appears that people have been buying coronavirus-related Christmas ornaments online, and they are selling out.

Every year we add one new ornament for our tree, usually carefully chosen to represent something important in our lives that year. I am not sure what it will be this year, probably something home-made since we won't be out shopping. But I doubt it will be one of the top-selling ornaments shown in this article, although each to their own!

Coronavirus-related Christmas ornaments sell out online
I think it is a good way to remember a loved one who has passed this year too, whether from Covid or other circumstances. They are obviously popular.

So far there seems to have been nothing done to legally stop them. Check out Minden, NV. Definitely against the law. Nothing done about it. What about the NJ fundraiser? Governor said he's investigating the legality. Will something be done? IMO unless LE is involved nothing is going to happen.

Trump rallies thousands of supporters at indoor rally in defiance of state COVID-19 health rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member