Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank goodness for 'socialized medicine.' Even the careless and foolish will receive equal medical care if necessary.

Yes. Medical care has to be available to all if we're going to shut this down. That was a lesson learned from the 1918 Influenza pandemic. Fortunately, stupidity is not a pre-existing condition that leaves anyone out.

That IIRC is outlawed world wide.. perhaps I'm just misled as many folks might be from just the headline. UK collaboration? huh????

I guess it's a clickbait so I'll have to look and ETA later?. MOO, is this real?

There is no where in this world that it is accepted to PURPOSEFULLY do human challenges for vaccines or treatments studies for a deadly virus by a manufacturer and governments etc.

Perhaps others have drilled down... I'm behind in threads. This is indeed interesting.

There is a group called 1DaySooner, who have been around since at least April, who have been gathering a petition of people who would participate in a challenge trial.
A 22 year old girl and a Harvard Law School grad started the group, and then went around getting backing from whoever they could - which they got.
The 'big' vaccine developers - AstraZeneca, Moderna, Pfizer - have refused to participate in such a thing.

It is said that a challenge trial would have limited value because just about everyone who signs up is young and healthy. The least likely demograph to fall seriously ill.

I would imagine that the 'UK Govt' might have to address the petition, but how serious they are about such a thing? Evidence of that I am unable to find. Just abstract references to the UK Govt considering it.

Controversial ‘human challenge’ trials for COVID-19 vaccines gain support
What is 1 Day Sooner? Scientists seek volunteers to become infected with coronavirus to speed up vaccine development
Hundreds of people volunteer to be infected with coronavirus
10 - 5 - 20: An Update from 1Day Sooner — 1Day Sooner

Dr. Fauci backed controversial Wuhan Lab with millions of U.S. dollars for risky coronavirus research - COVID-19 World News

Dr. Fauci backed controversial Wuhan Lab with millions of U.S. dollars for risky coronavirus research

...just last year, the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, the organization led by Dr. Fauci, funded scientists at the Wuhan Institute of Virology and other institutions for work on gain-of-function research on bat coronaviruses.

In 2019, with the backing of NIAID, the National Institutes of Health committed $3.7 million over six years for research that included some gain-of-function work. The program followed another $3.7 million, 5-year project for collecting and studying bat coronaviruses, which ended in 2019, bringing the total to $7.4 million.

Many scientists have criticized gain of function research, which involves manipulating viruses in the lab to explore their potential for infecting humans, because it creates a risk of starting a pandemic from accidental release.

SARS-CoV-2 , the virus now causing a global pandemic, is believed to have originated in bats. U.S. intelligence, after originally asserting that the coronavirus had occurred naturally, conceded last month that the pandemic may have originated in a leak from the Wuhan lab. (At this point most scientists say it’s possible—but not likely—that the pandemic virus was engineered or manipulated.)

Yes. Medical care has to be available to all if we're going to shut this down. That was a lesson learned from the 1918 Influenza pandemic. Fortunately, stupidity is not a pre-existing condition that leaves anyone out.
Unfortunately -

"About 44 million people in this country have no health insurance, and another 38 million have inadequate health insurance. This means that nearly one-third of Americans face each day without the security of knowing that, if and when they need it, medical care is available to them and their families."

PBS- Healthcare Crisis: The Uninsured

There is a group called 1DaySooner, who have been around since at least April, who have been gathering a petition of people who would participate in a challenge trial.
A 22 year old girl and a Harvard Law School grad started the group, and then went around getting backing from whoever they could - which they got.
The 'big' vaccine developers - AstraZeneca, Moderna, Pfizer - have refused to participate in such a thing.

It is said that a challenge trial would have limited value because just about everyone who signs up is young and healthy. The least likely demograph to fall seriously ill.

I would imagine that the 'UK Govt' might have to address the petition, but how serious they are about such a thing? Evidence of that I am unable to find. Just abstract references to the UK Govt considering it.

What is 1 Day Sooner? Scientists seek volunteers to become infected with coronavirus to speed up vaccine development
(Reuters) - Britain is planning to host clinical trials where volunteers are deliberately infected with the new coronavirus to test the effectiveness of vaccine candidates, the Financial Times reported on Wednesday, citing people involved in the project.

So-called "challenge trials" are expected to begin in January at a quarantine facility in London, the report (on.ft.com/2G5o0jP) said, adding that about 2,000 participants had signed up through a U.S.-based advocacy group, 1Day Sooner. (on.ft.com/2G5o0jP)

Britain said it was working with partners on the potential for human challenge trials without commenting on a specific plan.

The FT reported that the studies will be government funded, although 1Day Sooner said it would also launch a petition for public funding of a biocontainment facility big enough to quarantine 100 to 200 participants.

Open Orphan, a pharmaceutical services company cited in the FT report, confirmed in a statement early on Thursday that it is in “advanced negotiation with the UK Government and other partners for a coronavirus challenge study in the UK”.

UK to host 'human challenge' trials for COVID-19 vaccines - FT

I havent heard about this at all. Our news is mostly full of rising cases and the new tier system.

I just learned something today I wanted to share. I knew that our state and counties received funds to help in the Covid fight but I didn't realize that the townships also received funds. My township received $100,000. We're a rural township of mostly farms and we have 3 churches in the township. They decided to split the money between the churches and now all 3 churches' restrooms will be revamped to be touch free. Every little bit helps IMO. I'm really curious if anyone has heard of this in your area?

ETA Our church has a day care in the building and this is where Covid started in the church. Hopefully these touch free bathrooms will make a difference.

My DH is deputy mayor of our town, so I know that they received $250,000 payment to be used to help in the Covid fight. ATM, it's being used for extra cleaning of public spaces, delivering critical services such as shelters, extra costs when vehicles can't be shared, redoing some things so they are more accessible online, any other operating pressures ... etc.

I'm sure it will evaporate.

I'm in Northern Ontario.

Unfortunately -

"About 44 million people in this country have no health insurance, and another 38 million have inadequate health insurance. This means that nearly one-third of Americans face each day without the security of knowing that, if and when they need it, medical care is available to them and their families."

PBS- Healthcare Crisis: The Uninsured

Thanks for posting this. I can't even begin to imagine the worry that some people must feel. I just don't understand why universal access to health care isn't a priority.

Dr. Fauci backed controversial Wuhan Lab with millions of U.S. dollars for risky coronavirus research - COVID-19 World News

Dr. Fauci backed controversial Wuhan Lab with millions of U.S. dollars for risky coronavirus research

...just last year, the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, the organization led by Dr. Fauci, funded scientists at the Wuhan Institute of Virology and other institutions for work on gain-of-function research on bat coronaviruses.

In 2019, with the backing of NIAID, the National Institutes of Health committed $3.7 million over six years for research that included some gain-of-function work. The program followed another $3.7 million, 5-year project for collecting and studying bat coronaviruses, which ended in 2019, bringing the total to $7.4 million.

Many scientists have criticized gain of function research, which involves manipulating viruses in the lab to explore their potential for infecting humans, because it creates a risk of starting a pandemic from accidental release.

SARS-CoV-2 , the virus now causing a global pandemic, is believed to have originated in bats. U.S. intelligence, after originally asserting that the coronavirus had occurred naturally, conceded last month that the pandemic may have originated in a leak from the Wuhan lab. (At this point most scientists say it’s possible—but not likely—that the pandemic virus was engineered or manipulated.)

I hope there will be Congressional hearings on this research conducted in the Wuhan lab with American taxpayer funding, particularly since "gain-of-function" research is so controversial and potentially dangerous, and scientists who oppose this kind of research believed it could lead to a pandemic.

I havent heard about this at all. Our news is mostly full of rising cases and the new tier system.

Do you think in our type of govts this would go through, without a massive and lengthy debate in Parliament?

If the current govt was going to fund such a thing as a challenge trial, as CG's above link stated, I would think it would need to go through a big approval process - being such an ethically controversial thing to do.

What does reinfection mean for immunity and a vaccine?

Scientists are still trying to understand what kind of immunity is generated from a COVID-19 natural infection, how long that immunity typically lasts, and how many (and what type of) antibodies are needed to mount an effective response.

"In some people, the level of virus that replicated the second time is quite high, meaning they could become the vector to transmit the virus the second time around," Professor Iwasaki said.

"So that would not serve the purpose of herd immunity, because the whole purpose of herd immunity is that the immune person will no longer transmit the virus."

But a vaccination can be designed to elicit a stronger and longer-lasting immune response than a natural infection.

"I think relying on natural infection to establish herd immunity is not a viable option, not only because of reinfection, but because of the risk of severe disease and death in the population," Professor Iwasaki said.

Andrew tested positive for COVID-19 in March — and then again in September

Are you sure they knew the risks? It seems to me I spend a lot of time every day communicating with people who are astonished that they "hadn't heard" or "didn't know" anything about this, except what their parents said or their pastor said or their boss said.

I know an entire workplace where the boss has convinced everyone it's not transmissible because they are mostly outside (this is a moving company - they are also inside a lot and yes, some have tested positive - something the boss has banned mention of).

At any rate, anyone giving others a false sense of safety and encouraging people not to wear masks should be subject to some kind of sanction - maybe not a lawsuit, maybe just be on some internet page of shame.
Ignorance is no legal excuse for breaking a law.

RBBM. I have yet to see a credible source show evidence that this was engineered. Doesn't mean that it wasn't, but evidence is lacking for now. I doubt Dr. Fauci paid out of his pocket, as the headline might suggest. These research institutions fund a lot of research, so I'm not sure this is anything more than a smear.

There is nothing inherently wrong with scientific research, no matter what uneducated politicians and pundits like to tell us. It is how we figure out how viruses work, and scientist have been anticipating a major pandemic since the 90s, so it makes sense that they would study this.

If only we had a pandemic plan that our leaders took seriously, we all could have been spared this. If only China had been forthright...but that's the danger of totalitarianism. Their leader pretty much installed himself for life - not only is that heinous, but it doesn't tend to promote good governance.

Last edited:

Viruses can, and do, escape from labs. 16 years ago, there were 2 separate incidents in Beijing. They have escaped from elsewhere, too.

We need to be really cautious about funding. Really cautious.

Breaches of safety regulations are probable cause of recent SARS outbreak, WHO says

Why some labs work on making viruses deadlier — and why they should stop

Rethinking Gain-of-Function Experiments in the Context of the COVID-19 Pandemic

Iowa news for Monday, Oct. 12.: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 432 new confirmed cases for a total of 100,052 confirmed cases of which 76,500 had recovered (+246). 4 more had passed away for a total of 1,464. 53 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 449 currently in the hospital (IMO +11). Active positive cases are at 23,552.Oct. 12: Over 100,000 total positive cases in Iowa, 4 additional deaths
Iowa COVID-19 Information
Des Moines mayor urges Trump Campaign to ‘do the right thing’ for COVID-19 safety during president’s rally
Iowa's epidemiologists explain Monday's grim 100K total COVID-19 case count
Cedar Rapids daycare using mask myths to justify policy
10 more cases of COVID-19 in the Univ. of Iowa athletics department

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads