Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't even imagine what could be more catastrophic for Florida than plague-like illness and 15,363 deaths within 7 months.

I still believe that the count is off. I used to look at the "excess deaths", but stopped keeping track a few months ago. Because, I don't believe that the data from Florida is complete.

I looked over Florida's "Plan for Recovery" and am completely gob-smacked. It throws mud in the face of Reason. It's spineless, ineffective and passes the responsibility onto people who can't possibly make the changes necessary to keep themselves, their employees and community safe.

There is no doubt in my mind that the people of Florida have been put in danger by their leadership. If it was done in order to keep money flowing, then I believe they will lose that too.

Plan for Florida’s Recovery
some of you may recall how I posted a few months ago about how bad it was here in Florida - at least the two counties I travel in the most (for work) are adamant about mask enforcement despite the efforts at the top in our state government. And now we are hosting a rally - our numbers will continue to rise as these rallies likely won't enforce any of the local rules regarding social distancing or masks.
sigh.
JMO

Chinese city of Qingdao investigating origin of outbreak amid plans for nine million residents to get tested

The entire population of Qingdao will be tested for coronavirus after authorities in the north China city discovered 12 new infections that appear to be linked to a hospital treating imported infections.

North China city Qingdao to test entire population for coronavirus

Oh, I wish I could find the link... but it wasn't the title of one of his videos and he has way too many....

Dr. Campbell during one of his videos was reminiscing about the old days when he was a young nurse. He worked in a Nightingale Ward, which was named after Florence Nightingale. Did you know that she was instrumental in hospital designs? In a 22-month span between late 1854 and early 1856, Florence Nightingale oversaw a revolutionary overhaul of the British military health care system. The wards were what I would vision as a long army barrack, with windows on both sides and beds lining both sides but far apart. Perhaps you have seen them in the movies?

Dr. Campbell said first thing everyday would be to do some chores, feed the patients, etc. And then open all the windows on both sides to let the air turnover while they took their morning coffee. Afterwards, with the fresh air circulating and exchange, they would close the windows and only then change the dressings on wounds.

He spoke to the current designs of hospitals without recirculating fresh air and how it's contributed to noscomial/hospital acquired infections. In that video IIRC he said 17% of COVID patients were noscomial at one point in the outbreak. (Heck, that doesn't include the high number of staff at some)

Anyway, a good read here about Florence and hospital design. King's Collections : Online Exhibitions : Florence Nightingale and hospital design

Very interesting!

Chinese city of Qingdao investigating origin of outbreak amid plans for nine million residents to get tested

The entire population of Qingdao will be tested for coronavirus after authorities in the north China city discovered 12 new infections that appear to be linked to a hospital treating imported infections.

I do wish that we could drill down on the tests being used, their philosophy and such as to their stance from the beginning of time at the outbreak.. they have continued to do preventatives and proactives that are just unfathomable. Understand that many of their governmental restrictions would just not fly at ALLLLLL in the US and many countries, (we discussed on threads back in February about this fact, MOO), but their focus on spending monies for tracing and tracking just 12 new infections and doing widespread testing is just... jawdropping that they have even gotten to this place.

I don't know what to say.. as two sides to this... but just amazing. It was what the plan was earlier in that spending monies up front (although seemed astronomical) were less than letting the COVID spread in so many areas. MOO

Would love to see their costs of doing such vs. letting it get rampant and having to shut down more businesses longer term, and health costs, as I do truly believe they UNDERSTAND the costs of catching and throwing monies at just such a small cluster is better than running rampant and resulting repercussions elsewhere.

I know that MANY here will disagree... but these days on the threads.. it is like sunshine to agree to disagree and have discourse, conversations to LEARN through such!!!

I feel like this thread has done a 5 month rewind as to discussing stuff of science moreso. I really like focusing on such, no matter what country it comes from :D

Last edited:
some of you may recall how I posted a few months ago about how bad it was here in Florida - at least the two counties I travel in the most (for work) are adamant about mask enforcement despite the efforts at the top in our state government. And now we are hosting a rally - our numbers will continue to rise as these rallies likely won't enforce any of the local rules regarding social distancing or masks.
sigh.
JMO

I'm sorry, Oviedo. Stay well.

I can't even imagine what could be more catastrophic for Florida than plague-like illness and 15,363 deaths within 7 months.
And 735,000 cases. 735,000. Can you imagine that? In one state. It boggles the mind.

I was afraid for SC there for a while <modsnip>. In the end, thankfully, we just put our heads down and went with the science. Still not under great control (10% positive rate), but only a handful of deaths per day. People are being surprisingly cooperative here.

Last edited by a moderator:
sigh.
JMO

I knew wherever that rally was going to be was going to cause angst, but I am sorry I selfishly felt relieved it was not up North where I am. Oh how I remember when the GOP convention was going to be in Jax.... we saw local interviews/articles every single day of large groups trying so hard to fight them coming. So many were going to be staying at the big hotels right in my town, trapesing through our restaurants, our downtown and beaches. Of course, there were others touting all the business that would come in, and how safe they were going to be.

However, the relief, when it was cancelled, was so palpable!!!

October 8, 2020

Remdesivir for the Treatment of Covid-19 — Final Report - Original Article
The New England Journal of Medicine

The New England Journal of Medicine is a weekly medical journal published by the Massachusetts Medical Society. It is among the most prestigious peer-reviewed medical journals as well as the oldest.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007764?query=featured_home

Study confirms benefits of using Remdesivir on COVID-19 patients

The drug is used for its ability to hinder the virus's ability to reproduce, and has been attributed to shorter hospital stays for patients receiving it in trials.

Results showed that those who received Remdesivir have a median recovery time of ten days, compared with 15 days among the placebo group.

The mortality rate among Remdesivir patients was also lower: an estimated mortality rate of 6.7% was attributed to the Remdesivir group at day 15 compared to 11.9% among the placebo group, and 11.4% with Remdesivir compared to 15.2% treated with the placebo by day 29.

Moreover, adverse events were reported in only 131 of the 532 patients who received Remdesivir (24.6%) compared to 163 of the 516 patients who received placebo (31.6%).

Ultimately, data from the report showed that "Remdesivir was superior to placebo in shortening the time to recovery in adults who were hospitalized with COVID-19 and had evidence of lower respiratory tract infection."

Last edited:
I knew wherever that rally was going to be was going to cause angst, but I am sorry I selfishly felt relieved it was not up North where I am. Oh how I remember when the GOP convention was going to be in Jax.... we saw local interviews/articles every single day of large groups trying so hard to fight them coming. So many were going to be staying at the big hotels right in my town, trapesing through our restaurants, our downtown and beaches. Of course, there were others touting all the business that would come in, and how safe they were going to be.

However, the relief, when it was cancelled, was so palpable!!!

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...fauci-says-superspreader-event-occurred-there

INMO, it doesn't seem to be the best idea to hold large gatherings of groups of people during a pandemic.

Seems to be common sense to me. Just saying.

October 8, 2020

Remdesivir for the Treatment of Covid-19 — Final Report - Original Article
The New England Journal of Medicine

The New England Journal of Medicine is a weekly medical journal published by the Massachusetts Medical Society. It is among the most prestigious peer-reviewed medical journals as well as the oldest.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007764?query=featured_home

Study confirms benefits of using Remdesivir on COVID-19 patients

The drug is used for its ability to hinder the virus's ability to reproduce, and has been attributed to shorter hospital stays for patients receiving it in trials.

Results showed that those who received Remdesivir have a median recovery time of ten days, compared with 15 days among the placebo group.

The mortality rate among Remdesivir patients was also lower: an estimated mortality rate of 6.7% was attributed to the Remdesivir group at day 15 compared to 11.9% among the placebo group, and 11.4% with Remdesivir compared to 15.2% treated with the placebo by day 29.

Moreover, adverse events were reported in only 131 of the 532 patients who received Remdesivir (24.6%) compared to 163 of the 516 patients who received placebo (31.6%).

Ultimately, data from the report showed that "Remdesivir was superior to placebo in shortening the time to recovery in adults who were hospitalized with COVID-19 and had evidence of lower respiratory tract infection."
That's awesome! It's good to see progress and good news in this battle.

Next frontier: Medications (short of vaccine) that prevent patients from being hospitalized at all. I wonder if anything is in trials for that at all? I admit I haven't been following that closely lately.:oops:

Wow...from your quoted link, 90,000 really?

Mullen, commenting on the effect Texas A&M’s announced crowd of 24,709 had on the game, said UF’s administration needs to lift its COVID-19 crowd constraints, follow Gov. Ron DeSantis’s Phase 3 reopening guidelines and allow UF to pack the Swamp for its next home game.

"The governor has passed a rule that we’re allowed to pack the Swamp and have 90,000 in the Swamp to give us the home-field advantage Texas A&M had today."
Yes, the governor says it's fine and has lifted all stadium restrictions in the state. For now, Scott Stricklin seems to be the only voice of reason.

"While true that Gov. Ron DeSantis has lifted all state-restrictions relating to stadium attendance, it appears UF administration won’t be giving him his packed Swamp, for now."

Florida responds to Dan Mullen’s plea to pack The Swamp against LSU

It would be fascinating to know the Chinese logistics of testing 9 million people so quickly. I mean, how do they pull that off? It's mind boggling. They tested 10 million in Wuhan in 10 days, too, when they had another small outbreak there in June.

Coronavirus: Three students fined £10k each for throwing house party when they were meant to be self-isolating

Three students at the University of East Anglia have been fined £10,000 each for holding a party attended by about 100 people.

The students, who were meant to be self-isolating after showing coronavirus symptoms, threw a party at their house in Norwich.
Students Fined £10,000 Each After Throwing A Party With 'Up To 100 People' — LADbible

“The three female students, from the University of East Anglia in Norwich, were supposed to be self-isolating after developing Covid-19 symptoms, the BBC reports.”

Perhaps the invites said “we’ve got symptoms but no worries come party with us”.

Wondering if they had been tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member