Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been there before, but here's another study. 91% is really high!

Nine in ten coronavirus patients reported experiencing side-effects such as fatigue, psychological after-effects and loss of smell and taste after they recovered from the disease, according to a preliminary study by South Korea.

In an online survey of 965 recovered COVID-19 patients, 879 people or 91.1% responded they were suffering at least one side-effect from the disease...

Loss of smell, especially these two odors, Coronavirus symptom

We appear to have a rather elite health plan in the US. Trump receives an experimental drug. Chris Christie receives one. Wonder who else. Hope? We just don't know. Of course, we don't want our President to die, but it seems others deserve the same care.

As to numbers that received Regeron outside of the trials, IIRC they said that Trump was the 10th person to gain a compassionate use allowance for the treatment. Eli Lily has been silent on such.

Goggled and found a link
Antibody drugs are no cure but seem promising for COVID-19

"Trump is among fewer than 10 people who were able to access the Regeneron one under “compassionate use” rules, without enrolling in a study."

We appear to have a rather elite health plan in the US. Trump receives an experimental drug. Chris Christie receives one. Wonder who else. Hope? We just don't know. Of course, we don't want our President to die, but it seems others deserve the same care.
Possibly Christie is on the "Friend or family of President Trump" health plan? After all, he was infected at WH events...

But how is that possible? Deaths and hospitalizations follow rising cases by a couple of weeks. If cases are rising, that's the early warning sign that deaths will rise too.
What if testing is increasing?

As to numbers that received Regeron outside of the trials, IIRC they said that Trump was the 10th person to gain a compassionate use allowance for the treatment. Eli Lily has been silent on such.

Goggled and found a link
Antibody drugs are no cure but seem promising for COVID-19

"Trump is among fewer than 10 people who were able to access the Regeneron one under “compassionate use” rules, without enrolling in a study."
I'm glad that President Trump got the best care available in the world. JMO

Scary news from Kansas City, where hospitals are being overwhelmed by record numbers of COVID 19 patients

https://www.kansascity.com/?source=rss&channel=kansascity_breaking_news

Some Kansas City area hospitals, facing their biggest influx of coronavirus patients since the pandemic began, are refusing ambulances because their beds are already filled, according to a leading doctor at St. Luke’s Health System.

On Wednesday night, eight metro hospitals and emergency departments reported such high volumes of patients that they temporarily stopped accepting ambulances, Marc Larsen, Operations Director of Saint Luke’s COVID Response Team, said in a phone interview Thursday.

Been there before, but here's another study. 91% is really high!

Nine in ten coronavirus patients reported experiencing side-effects such as fatigue, psychological after-effects and loss of smell and taste after they recovered from the disease, according to a preliminary study by South Korea.

In an online survey of 965 recovered COVID-19 patients, 879 people or 91.1% responded they were suffering at least one side-effect from the disease...

Loss of smell, especially these two odors, Coronavirus symptom
From your link:
The study led the researchers to find that peppermint and coconut oil were the two scents most Covid-19 patients were unable to smell.”

Bizarre & interesting!

If I see the death rate and hospitalizations going down over a months time and over the same time period the number positive Covid-19 cases go up I will come to the conclusion that things are better and not worse. JMO
The problem with this is the people who are hospitalized and dying are an entirely different set of people from the ones currently testing positive. The average lag time between testing positive and needing to be hospitalized is about a week, or even 10 days. Then it’s typically another 10-14+ days before death occurs, if that is the ultimate outcome. It’s not unusual or unheard of for one to be hospitalized for weeks prior to ultimately dying.

So hospitalized patients and death rates could theoretically look fairly decent, with a surge in positive test results. Give it another 2-4 weeks, and then you see the hospitalization and death rates related to the increased positive cases.

I do believe this is one of the reasons we are struggling so much to contain it. We need to act so early, BEFORE things get terrible with hospitalizations and deaths, and people in general simply aren’t willing to do so. By the time things get bad, it’s far too late to prevent the massive surges in the hospitals.

All of the above is strictly my opinion based on working directly with covid in the medical field based on what I’ve personally seen and experienced. My experience certainly could be an anomaly, but it doesn’t seem to be based on what I’ve read and heard from others. But it is my opinion.

What if testing is increasing?
We could stop testing tomorrow. Zero tests. That won’t change the fact that whoever is infected will potentially need to be hospitalized in a week or two, and a small percentage of those will ultimately die. (If anything, if we decrease testing, we will have MORE sick people because those who are infectious but only mildly sick won’t know to self-isolate, but I digress.)

It would be like saying if we stopped testing for pregnancy, we wouldn’t have all these babies being born. Sure, we wouldn’t know for sure how many woman were actually miscarrying early on vs just having a delayed period. But I assure you, we would still have babies being born 9 months from now.

The problem with this is the people who are hospitalized and dying are an entirely different set of people from the ones currently testing positive.

SBM

Yes, that's the point that I'm making.

We could stop testing tomorrow. Zero tests. That won’t change the fact that whoever is infected will potentially need to be hospitalized in a week or two, and a small percentage of those will ultimately die. (If anything, if we decrease testing, we will have MORE sick people because those who are infectious but only mildly sick won’t know to self-isolate, but I digress.)

It would be like saying if we stopped testing for pregnancy, we wouldn’t have all these babies being born. Sure, we wouldn’t know for sure how many woman were actually miscarrying early on vs just having a delayed period. But I assure you, we would still have babies being born 9 months from now.
If testing increases, it makes sense that you would see a higher number of cases. There are a high number of asymptomatic cases that you wouldn’t even know about if not tested. Also most people don’t require hospitalization.

A woman will eventually know that she is/was pregnant. If asymptomatic people aren’t tested they would likely never know.

IMO

Last edited:

More testing means more data. That's all I'm saying. JMO

More testing means more data. That's all I'm saying. JMO

Apparently, the increase in cases is far exceeding the increase in testing.

Coronavirus infections jumped by almost 17% over the past week ....

Testing also increased over the past week.
  • The U.S. is now conducting roughly 1 million tests per day, up about 6% from the week before.
  • But the increase in cases is bigger than the increase in testing, which is a sign of an actual worsening outbreak.
Coronavirus cases are increasing in 38 states and D.C.
22 hours ago

This information has been out for a long time and I'm not seeing anything new here? Is this just media revisiting as those studies were published long ago as the hydroxychloroquine and lopinavir arms of the trials were discontinued on June 20 and July 4 respectively.

Yes, the World Health Organization discontinued the trial’s hydroxychloroquine and lopinavir/ritonavir arms on July 4th as "the interim trial results show that hydroxychloroquine and lopinavir/ritonavir produce little or no reduction in the mortality of hospitalized COVID-19 patients when compared to standard of care."

WHO discontinues hydroxychloroquine and lopinavir/ritonavir treatment arms for COVID-19
WHO discontinues hydroxychloroquine and lopinavir/ritonavir treatment arms for COVID-19

May 7 Article - https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001282 Mortality at 28 days was similar in the lopinavir–ritonavir group and the standard-care group (19.2% vs. 25.0%; difference, −5.8 percentage points; 95% CI, −17.3 to 5.7). The percentages of patients with detectable viral RNA at various time points were similar.

Other studies continued and found the same -
Oct 13 - Randomized Evaluation of COVID-19 Therapy - American College of Cardiology
Randomized Evaluation of COVID-19 Therapy - RECOVERY (Lopinavir–Ritonavir) Among patients admitted to the hospital with COVID-19 infection, lopinavir–ritonavir was not superior compared with usual care. Lopinavir–ritonavir did not improve survival, discharge from the hospital, or need for mechanical ventilation.

Remdesivir has 'little or no effect' on survival rates of Covid patients, WHO study finds

I had not seen that about Remdesivir before. I thought it reduced the recovery period.

I had not seen that about Remdesivir before. I thought it reduced the recovery period.

There are three articles published in the last 24 hours that say ...

NY Times (paraphrasing) a study of 11,300 people was done in 30 countries and remdesivir was found not to prevent deaths. Two other doctors think that if administered right away - before the body starts its "overly exuberant" immune response - it might help to minimise the virus enough to stop the overly exuberant reaction.
Remdesivir Fails to Prevent Covid-19 Deaths in Huge Trial

“These Remdesivir, Hydroxychloroquine, Lopinavir and Interferon regimens appeared to have little or no effect on hospitalized COVID-19, as indicated by overall mortality, initiation of ventilation and duration of hospital stay,” the researchers wrote in a preprint on the findings of the WHO’s Solidarity trial that was released on medRxiv.
WHO trial finds remdesivir has little effect on COVID-19

Financial Times (paraphrasing) there is no substantial effect given by remdesivir, on mortality. Also little effect on how long a patient was in hospital.
Remdesivir has little effect on mortality, WHO says

Here is the study (pre-print ... not yet peer reviewed)
Repurposed antiviral drugs for COVID-19; interim WHO SOLIDARITY trial results

Last edited:
Fowlpox is the worldwide disease of poultry caused by viruses of the family Poxviridae and the genus Avipoxvirus.

It is not related to varicella. It is also transmitted differently, both through biting insects and inhalation.

Fowl pox is different to fowl pest, I believe. Fowl pest is part of the same family as mumps and measles and is part of this family:-

Paramyxoviruses - Medical Microbiology - NCBI Bookshelf

Paramyxoviridae - ScienceDirect

This virus family is as complicated as coronavirus. They are found in bats also. This is why it interested me.

Coronavirus and paramyxovirus in bats from Northwest Italy

Last edited:
There are three articles published in the last 24 hours that say ...

NY Times (paraphrasing) a study of 11,300 people was done in 30 countries and remdesivir was found not to prevent deaths. Two other doctors think that if administered right away - before the body starts its "overly exuberant" immune response - it might help to minimise the virus enough to stop the overly exuberant reaction.
Remdesivir Fails to Prevent Covid-19 Deaths in Huge Trial

“These Remdesivir, Hydroxychloroquine, Lopinavir and Interferon regimens appeared to have little or no effect on hospitalized COVID-19, as indicated by overall mortality, initiation of ventilation and duration of hospital stay,” the researchers wrote in a preprint on the findings of the WHO’s Solidarity trial that was released on medRxiv.
WHO trial finds remdesivir has little effect on COVID-19

Financial Times (paraphrasing) there is no substantial effect given by remdesivir, on mortality. Also little effect on how long a patient was in hospital.
Remdesivir has little effect on mortality, WHO says

Here is the study (pre-print ... not yet peer reviewed)
Repurposed antiviral drugs for COVID-19; interim WHO SOLIDARITY trial results

Ah so it is a new study. Thanks. This is the one we have seen before which shows reduction in recovery times.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007764#:~:text=Patients in the remdesivir group,Figure 2 and Table 2).

CONCLUSIONS
Our data show that remdesivir was superior to placebo in shortening the time to recovery in adults who were hospitalized with Covid-19 and had evidence of lower respiratory tract infection. (Funded by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and others; ACTT-1 ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT04280705. opens in new tab.)

If I see the death rate and hospitalizations going down over a months time and over the same time period the number positive Covid-19 cases go up I will come to the conclusion that things are better and not worse. JMO

Occam's Razor agrees with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member