Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #84

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.
Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Updates and chat - United States:
Current Statistics for Each Individual States

Updates and chat - Other Countries:
Stats and Information from Other Countries

Safety Tips and Things to do While Quarantined

Facial Mask Making - Coronavirus
Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine
Recipes to share during Coronavirus quarantine
Health and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine
Quarantine Vegetable Gardens
Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children MIS-c and Covid[/URL}

[URL='https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/ws-members-loved-ones-who-have-coronavirus-and-testing.514116/']WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus and testing

Individuals and Companies that have donated to the Coronavirus COVID-19 cause

Memorial Thread - COVID-19 Coronavirus

______

Case details for US and Canada:
COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Case details for the entire world:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 206,893 Cases and 8,272 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Covid-19 Vaccine Development

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64 Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68[/URL] Thread #69 Thread #70 Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 Thread #75 Thread #76 Thread #77 Thread #78 Thread #79 Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN NOTE:

10ofRods is a Verified medical anthropologist and as such they are not required to provide links to information that is within the area of their expertise.

Hey everyone,

This thread is for sharing information, not debating or bickering or winning an argument.

State your opinion, post your link to info, then move on without feeling the need to comment on every single detail of every single post. It takes over the thread and none of us are here to hammer our own opinion into the heads of other members.

Thank you.

ADMIN NOTE:

Websleuths is based in the US but has members from all over the world.

Any member who posts snark about another country will be permanently removed from this discussion.

Members should not take it upon themselves to decide that politics is allowed.

Until/unless Tricia, or a Mod or Admin gives approval to discuss any political aspect of this situation, the usual rules apply (no political snipes, debate talks, no election, ballots, Reps/Dems, Constitution, Pelosi, footballs, etc).

Discuss the President's health as it is presented via MSM or information from the WH or the President's medical personnel, and as it relates to his Covid diagnosis only. Let the rest unfold as it happens without dragging politics into this discussion.

Please stay on topic by discussing Covid19.

This discussion is not about the healthcare system, Affordable Health Care, SCOTUS nominees, or the Obama administration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wisconsin opened an alternative care facility at State Fair Park for COVID-19 patients Oct. 14, the day the state announced more than 1,000 patients were currently hospitalized with the virus, the highest number yet.

The number of hospitalized coronavirus patients in the state has tripled in the last month.

COVID-19 patients who are less sick but still require hospital care will be treated at the field hospital.

The medical station initially will have 50 beds, Standridge said. But the number of beds can be doubled quickly, she said.

The state has said the field hospital could hold as many as 530 beds.

xx2.JPG

Milwaukee's State Fair Park field hospital opens for COVID-19 patients

Dr Fauci .....

He added that he was “fairly confident” and “cautiously optimistic” that more than one vaccine would be available by November or December of this year, and that people should not delay being vaccinated.

“I don’t think you should wait if you’re in a vulnerable group, if you’re elderly or if you have an underlying condition, I would get the vaccine as soon as it comes out,” he said.

“I think we’re going to have more than one vaccine, I think it’s going to be pretty soon and it’ll be widely distributed by the time we get into the third quarter of 2021.”

Top doctor expects ‘more than one’ coronavirus vaccine by end of 2020

Wow. Hospitalizations tripled in past month. How are people not taking this seriously. I just saw want to cry some days :(

Wisconsin opened an alternative care facility at State Fair Park for COVID-19 patients Oct. 14, the day the state announced more than 1,000 patients were currently hospitalized with the virus, the highest number yet.

The number of hospitalized coronavirus patients in the state has tripled in the last month.

COVID-19 patients who are less sick but still require hospital care will be treated at the field hospital.

The medical station initially will have 50 beds, Standridge said. But the number of beds can be doubled quickly, she said.

The state has said the field hospital could hold as many as 530 beds.

View attachment 268065

Milwaukee's State Fair Park field hospital opens for COVID-19 patients

Coronavirus: Lancashire moved into highest level of COVID restrictions

Bars and pubs across Lancashire will close after local leaders agreed the county should move into Tier 3 of England's lockdown system.

It means towns such as Blackpool, Blackburn and Fleetwood join the Liverpool City Region in the highest level of coronavirus restrictions.

The government has confirmed the restrictions will come into place from midnight.

Wow. Hospitalizations tripled in past month. How are people not taking this seriously. I just saw want to cry some days :(

That's how I felt yesterday, when I read that the White House was embracing the focused protection (Great Barrington Declaration) theory. :(

Even worse when I saw today that Medecins Sans Frontieres had just posted this video interview with US long term facility workers who have been struggling with fear, exhaustion, anxiety and grief. How do they feel about this focused protection? Do they feel that the onus is all on them?

"One day going about your normal daily business, come to work normally, then the next day it's like locked down and you got people passing away"
"And then it became like a domino effect to where everybody just started passing away and we still didn't, at that time, know how severe and serious it was until it was like, unmanageable"
"We put in a lot of long hours taking care of our residents and trying to take care of our loved ones at home. We were numb, we were scared. We didn't know what was happening"

Last edited:
Dr Fauci .....

He added that he was “fairly confident” and “cautiously optimistic” that more than one vaccine would be available by November or December of this year, and that people should not delay being vaccinated.

“I don’t think you should wait if you’re in a vulnerable group, if you’re elderly or if you have an underlying condition, I would get the vaccine as soon as it comes out,” he said.

“I think we’re going to have more than one vaccine, I think it’s going to be pretty soon and it’ll be widely distributed by the time we get into the third quarter of 2021.”

This is a change from what he has said before IIRC. Good news anyway.

Covid in Scotland: New face covering rules come into force

Face coverings must now be worn in workplace canteens in Scotland under new rules that have come into force.

Other communal workplace areas such as corridors will also be included in the restrictions from Monday.

But the rules on wearing face coverings at wedding and civil partnership ceremonies have been relaxed slightly.

It means the couple will no longer have to cover their faces during the ceremony so long as they are at least 2m away from everyone else.

They must also be worn in secondary schools by adults and all pupils in areas such as corridors and communal areas where physical distancing is difficult to maintain.

The US is approaching 8 million Covid-19 cases and the pace of new infections signals a tough winter

The US is nearing 8 million Covid-19 cases and averaging more than 50,000 daily new infections -- a sign the country is in for a tough winter, experts say.

An updated forecast from the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation now projects the US could top 389,000 Covid-19 deaths by February 1. And the latest ensemble forecast published by the CDC shows more than 20,000 Americans could die from the virus in just the next three weeks. More than 217,000 Americans have already lost their lives to the virus.

At least 35 states are now reporting more new cases than the previous week. Fourteen states -- Alaska, Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming -- were at their peak seven-day case average Thursday.

Meanwhile, in Arkansas and Michigan, health officials reported the highest daily Covid-19 case count on record.

In New Hampshire, the state saw a 56% increase in its number of active Covid-19 cases over the past week.

New Mexico's governor said the state had a positivity of 8.1% and called the current state of the pandemic "the most serious emergency that New Mexico has ever faced." In parts of the state, ICU beds are "full."

Dr Fauci .....

Unfortunately, some folks may not understand the nuances of November being the earliest that the vaccines being available through an EUA and how starkly different an EAU type distribution is from being "widely distributed by the time we get into the third quarter of 2021".

Some may think that what he was referring to as EAU type allowances is the same as the beginning of a widespread planned (optimistic) third quarter roll out to the general public. (ETA - Some folks even think that the third quarter is going to be when the distribution is completed, whatever that means as it will always be ongoing MOO :( Perhaps more education needs to be done so folks can discern the difference of "distribution" vs. getting the vaccine as perhaps many may think that is what the quote means? The EAU has been targeted for a long time as early November, so that has only been slightly moved by the recent pauses )

MOO

BTW - With the pauses by Regeneron and Eli Lilly, this date has at least moved once to a later date which would be the soonest they could apply for EAU IIRC.

Last edited:
The US is approaching 8 million Covid-19 cases and the pace of new infections signals a tough winter

The US is nearing 8 million Covid-19 cases and averaging more than 50,000 daily new infections -- a sign the country is in for a tough winter, experts say.

An updated forecast from the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation now projects the US could top 389,000 Covid-19 deaths by February 1. And the latest ensemble forecast published by the CDC shows more than 20,000 Americans could die from the virus in just the next three weeks. More than 217,000 Americans have already lost their lives to the virus.

At least 35 states are now reporting more new cases than the previous week. Fourteen states -- Alaska, Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming -- were at their peak seven-day case average Thursday.

Meanwhile, in Arkansas and Michigan, health officials reported the highest daily Covid-19 case count on record.

In New Hampshire, the state saw a 56% increase in its number of active Covid-19 cases over the past week.

New Mexico's governor said the state had a positivity of 8.1% and called the current state of the pandemic "the most serious emergency that New Mexico has ever faced." In parts of the state, ICU beds are "full."

Yep, NM has the highest Rt of any state right now as screenshot below shows. Rt COVID-19

upload_2020-10-16_8-18-36.png

Unfortunately, some folks may not understand the nuances of November being the earliest that the vaccines being available through an EUA and how starkly different an EAU type distribution is from being "widely distributed by the time we get into the third quarter of 2021".

Some may think that what he was referring to as EAU type allowances is the same as the beginning of a widespread planned (optimistic) third quarter roll out to the general public.

MOO

Agreed. He is basically saying 'don't look for a vaccine before the third quarter of 2021'.

I think he is probably excited that one or two vaccines might be ready for independent scrutiny late this year. And, of course, that scrutiny takes time as well.

Putin Announces Approval of a 2nd Unproven Coronavirus Vaccine

Russian President Vladimir Putin said the new vaccine was developed by Siberian biotech company Novosibirsk's Vektor [State Virology and Biotechnology Center], a former Soviet-era bioweapons lab.

Early trials of the latest vaccine on 100 volunteers were successful, Putin said. He also said that Deputy Prime Minister Tatyana Golikova and the head of Russia's consumer safety watchdog, Anna Popova, had both received the vaccine known as EpiVacCorona.

Days after the Kremlin said that another vaccine "registered" in August had only just begun a second round of Phase III safety and efficacy trials. That vaccine, known popularly as Sputnik V, has been met with skepticism both inside and outside of Russia. At the time of its approval, Putin said that his daughter had already been given two doses of the vaccine and that she was well after experiencing a slight fever that later went away.

Last edited:
Former NJ Gov. Chris Christie to @Gma after his stint in the hospital with COVID:
"We need to be telling people that there is no downside to you wearing masks, and in fact, there can be a great deal of upside."
“I let my guard down for a couple of days inside the White House grounds and it cost me in a significant way.” https://gma.abc/37blPH3

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1317069644826542086?s=20

Healthy young people might not be able to get the coronavirus vaccine until 2022, WHO says

... health workers, frontline workers and the elderly will likely be offered a vaccine first.

I'm glad that they are leading the communications to share realistic expectations. I know that many here in the threads were hunkering down for the long haul way back and trying to share with others how long this might be. Yet the communications weren't coming out and folks had to plan and replan every two weeks vs. just planning for long term.

I have seen that some airlines have now come out as of yesterday and said won't be back to normal until 2024.

United Airlines boss says business won't return to normal until 2024

"The CEO of United Airlines says that air travel will not return to “normal” until around 2024.

Speaking on an earnings call, Scott Kirby said that he expects demand for flights to remain lower and “is not going to get anywhere close to normal until there’s a widely available vaccine”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xxxooowow