Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #84

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wisconsin opened an alternative care facility at State Fair Park for COVID-19 patients Oct. 14, the day the state announced more than 1,000 patients were currently hospitalized with the virus, the highest number yet.

The number of hospitalized coronavirus patients in the state has tripled in the last month.

COVID-19 patients who are less sick but still require hospital care will be treated at the field hospital.

I don't "get" Wisconsin and Michigan where courts have ruled in favor of opening up, when the virus is spreading like crazy. Is this entirely political since there have been lawsuits, or are those opposed to masks and ordinances really that far out of touch?

The medical station initially will have 50 beds, Standridge said. But the number of beds can be doubled quickly, she said.

The state has said the field hospital could hold as many as 530 beds.

View attachment 268065

Milwaukee's State Fair Park field hospital opens for COVID-19 patients

More than 70% of recent positive COVID-19 tests in Mass. involve people under the age of 50
More at link

State testing data echoes what Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker said this week about the recent increase in COVID-19 cases: young people are driving the uptick.

“That community, more than almost any other at this point, is driving the single biggest increase in cases,” the Republican governor said, referring to people in their 20s and 30s.

Data published under Chapter 93 this week show more than 70% of positive COVID-19 tests in the past six weeks involve people under the age of 50.

People in their 20s accounted for 22% of the positive COVID-19 tests between Sept. 1 and Tuesday, the most recent day available. People under age 19 accounted for 17.5% of positive tests, people in their 30s accounted for 16.8% and people in their 40s accounted for nearly 14% of the COVID-19 tests, according to the data.

The other 30% mostly affected people in their 50s and 60s. The 50s age bracket alone accounted for 13.2% of positive tests.

“I worry with the numbers trending up already and when winter is coming that we really could be in for a difficult winter,” said Dr. David Rosman, president of the Massachusetts Medical Society.

The number of tests don’t necessarily translate into number of confirmed cases as some people might take multiple tests or there might be other variables leading to higher testing numbers, according to the state Department of Public Health.

The state’s weekly report shows a similar pattern with confirmed cases: 71.8% of the new COVID-19 cases reported over the past two weeks afflicted people under age 50.

Wednesday’s report shows 1,831 COVID-19 cases coming from people ages 20 to 29, followed by 1,747 from people under age 19. People in their 30s accounted for 1,546 cases, and people in their 40s comprised 1,329 cases.

There were also 1,208 cases reported among people in their 50s, but the case totals fall below 1,000 among older age brackets.

<modsnip>

From the UK Guardian:
WHO chief says herd immunity approach to pandemic 'unethical'
"The head of the World Health Organization has warned against deliberately allowing coronavirus to spread in the hope of achieving so-called herd immunity, saying the idea is unethical....“Herd immunity is achieved by protecting people from a virus, not by exposing them to it,” Tedros said. “Never in the history of public health has herd immunity been used as a strategy for responding to an outbreak, let alone a pandemic.”

From Fox News

Fauci calls coronavirus herd immunity approach ‘nonsense, very dangerous’

"the head of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, dismissed proposals for the strategy as "simply unethical"

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip>

There are many tools at our disposal: WHO recommends case finding, isolation, testing, compassionate care, contact tracing, quarantine, physical distancing, hand hygiene, masks, respiratory etiquette, ventilation, avoiding crowds and more.

We recognize that at certain points, some countries have had no choice but to issue stay-at-home orders and other measures, to buy time.
WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 12 October 2020

What Nabarro actually said (from the Forbes article below, which contains the video of him saying what he said):
----------
Nabarro said, “We in the World Health Organization do not advocate lockdowns as the primary means of control of this virus.” Note the word “primary” here. He did not say, “do not advocate lockdowns as a means of control of this virus.” Nabarro continued by saying, “The only time we believe a lockdown is justified is to buy you time to reorganize, regroup, rebalance your resources, protect your health workers who are exhausted, but by and large, we’d rather not do it.” Note the words “rather not do it” as opposed to “should not do it” or “will not do it.”

BBM

WHO Warning About Covid-19 Coronavirus Lockdowns Is Taken Out Of Context
---------

Not sure why so many are not able to parse the word "primary" here. Lockdowns should not be the primary means of controlling CoVid. Duh. But when it gets out of control, well then....Nabarro clearly states that lockdowns are justified when resources grow thin. What is so so hard to understand about that?

Yet, as Forbes points out, MSM is going for clickbait headlines and confusing people (including the president of the United States) on SM.

This of course was not an official statement by WHO (as in a white paper) in any case.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

WHO: WHO recommends case finding, isolation, testing, compassionate care, contact tracing, quarantine, physical distancing, hand hygiene, masks, respiratory etiquette, ventilation, avoiding crowds and more.
WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 12 October 2020

Barrington: Those who are not vulnerable should immediately be allowed to resume life as normal. Simple hygiene measures, such as hand washing and staying home when sick should be practiced by everyone to reduce the herd immunity threshold. Schools and universities should be open for in-person teaching. Extracurricular activities, such as sports, should be resumed. Young low-risk adults should work normally, rather than from home. Restaurants and other businesses should open. Arts, music, sport and other cultural activities should resume. People who are more at risk may participate if they wish, while society as a whole enjoys the protection conferred upon the vulnerable by those who have built up herd immunity.
Great Barrington Declaration – An open letter and declaration from public health academics and professionals

WHO: WHO recommends case finding, isolation, testing, compassionate care, contact tracing, quarantine, physical distancing, hand hygiene, masks, respiratory etiquette, ventilation, avoiding crowds and more.

Barrington: Those who are not vulnerable should immediately be allowed to resume life as normal. Simple hygiene measures, such as hand washing and staying home when sick should be practiced by everyone to reduce the herd immunity threshold. Schools and universities should be open for in-person teaching. Extracurricular activities, such as sports, should be resumed. Young low-risk adults should work normally, rather than from home. Restaurants and other businesses should open. Arts, music, sport and other cultural activities should resume. People who are more at risk may participate if they wish, while society as a whole enjoys the protection conferred upon the vulnerable by those who have built up herd immunity.
Great Barrington Declaration – An open letter and declaration from public health academics and professionals
This sounds like what we were doing up till a few weeks ago.

In the meantime we are still in lockdown but by another name, Tiers, Circuit breakers, etc until a vaccine turns up.

IMO, the media only just became interested in lockdowns and so the WHO responded with a statement about their long-standing position.

For example, from the WHO Director-General's Media Briefing on September 4, 2020

"Lockdowns are a blunt instrument, and with the right mix of targeted and tailored measures, further national lockdowns can be avoided. Several countries are using a data-driven approach to drive a targeted response."
Coronavirus

IMO, just because the media decided not to report on that, and chose to cover, for example, the Portland protests instead, does not mean the WHO previously supported lockdowns.

This sounds like what we were doing up till a few weeks ago.

In the meantime we are still in lockdown but by another name, Tiers, Circuit breakers, etc until a vaccine turns up.
I think the term "lockdown" should be abandoned when talking about anyone who is not China. I think they are the only ones who ever actually implemented lockdown.

I've been free to move around as I please during this entire episode. As has everyone else in the US. I may have had fewer places to go because things were closed, but certainly I was never in a state of "lockdown".

I think the term "lockdown" should be abandoned when talking about anyone who is not China. I think they are the only ones who ever actually implemented lockdown.

I've been free to move around as I please during this entire episode. As has everyone else in the US. I may have had fewer places to go because things were closed, but certainly I was never in a state of "lockdown".

I couldn't go to church, visit a relative in the hospital, go to work, eat at my favorite restaurant. I definitely wasn't free to do as I pleased. Different states, I guess. Jmo

Yeah, that's true here in California as well. There have been no lockdowns. Not Chinese style or even close. Locking the borders isn't possible for US states, that would take federal policy. Nor are our national borders closed. News yesterday stated that Canadians can still fly into the US (not sure they can go home without quarantine.) Certainly, trucks from Mexico are still delivering food to the US. People from the US are still vacationing in Mexico (whose CoVid containment methods and stats aren't exactly ones to envy).

The US has never locked down. China did lock down. Sweden took fewer mitigation measures than most US states, but people still voluntarily stayed home (which is the opposite a lockdown). Public education worked in Sweden. It doesn't work in the US. For one reason, scientific literacy in the US, as measured by people who study such things, is at the bottom of the barrel for the Western post-industrial world. And, even within our states, the rates of CoVid closely parallel our measures of scientific literacy (and numeracy as well).

Populations with the least education are more likely to have a serious course of CoVid in the US (many reasons, one of which is that many essential workers are in that category, and their lives don't lend themselves readily to studying science or reading CoVid stats every day - or ever).

Personally, I see the pandemic as a natural disaster. If there was an earthquake, or a direct hit from a hurricane etc., the same thing happens to many businesses. IMO, the idea that just because, say, a forest fire is encircling your community, your local officials have no right to evacuate and the local restaurants should stay open so people can come in for a sit-down meal, as a human right, seems very off.

Iowa numbers today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 1,330 new confirmed cases for a total of 104,552 confirmed cases of which 80,486 had recovered (+372). 16 more were reported to have passed for a total of 1,521. There were 66 hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 468 (lowest since IMO Tues. Oct. 13). There are 24,066 active positve cases. Oct. 16: 1,330 new cases, 372 recoveries, and 16 deaths
Iowa COVID-19 Information

ADMIN NOTE:

Please stop further discussion, bickering or debating about the petition.

Upon a comprehensive review, it appears the WHO has not supported or advocated the Great Barrington Declaration that petitions against lockdowns.

The WHO have advocated that certain primary criterion be met in order for lockdowns to be avoided or lifted.

So when should lockdowns and restrictions be lifted?

The WHO put out a six-step plan for governments to follow to ease restrictions.

To ease restrictions the WHO says governments should:
  • Ensure transmission is under control

• Make sure health systems can care for every case — including tracing and isolating

• Minimise risks in health facilities, including nursing homes

• Have preventative measures in workplaces, schools and other essential places

• Manage the risk of the virus being imported in from another place

• Fully educate the community on the new normal, and how they can protect themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum