Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all: I have a question--- with my husband having a negative PCR test (nasal swab)- 2hour turnaround time and told he does not have Covid (but remains on Covid watch), should I go to the hospital to get a Chest CT? or should I cancel the appt and wait a week or two to have the Chest CT? thanks in advance for your advice.

I think we who are not doctors cannot give you advice. Perhaps you should call and ask someone in the know.

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 26 October 2020

• Last week saw the highest number of COVID-19 cases reported so far. Many countries in the northern hemisphere are seeing a concerning rise in cases and hospitalisations. And intensive care units are filling up to capacity in some places, particularly in Europe and North America.
  • We must do all we can to protect health workers, and the best way to do that is for all of us to take every precaution we can to reduce the risk of transmission, for ourselves and others. No one wants more so-called lockdowns. But if we want to avoid them, we all have to play our part.
  • The fight back against this pandemic is everyone’s business. We cannot have the economic recovery we want and live our lives the way we did before the pandemic. We can keep our kids in school, we can keep businesses open, we can preserve lives and livelihoods. We can do it! But we must all make trade-offs, compromises and sacrifices.
  • When leaders act quickly and deliberately, the virus can be suppressed. But, where there has been political division at the national level; where there has been blatant disrespect for science and health professionals, confusion has spread and cases and deaths have mounted. This is why I have said repeatedly: stop the politicisation of COVID-19.
  • Last week WHO conducted its first global e-learning course on health and migration, addressing a critical and often neglected topic of global health. It's vital that all countries include refugees and migrants in their national policies as part of their commitment to universal health coverage.
------

“Good morning, good afternoon and good evening.

Last week saw the highest number of COVID-19 cases reported so far.

Many countries in the northern hemisphere are seeing a concerning rise in cases and hospitalisations.

And intensive care units are filling up to capacity in some places, particularly in Europe and North America.

Over the weekend, a number of leaders critically evaluated their situation and took action to limit the spread of the virus.

We understand the pandemic fatigue that people are feeling.

It takes a mental and physical toll on everyone.

Working from home, children being schooled remotely, not being able to celebrate milestones with friends and family or not being there to mourn loved ones – it’s tough and the fatigue is real.

But we cannot give up.

We must not give up.

Leaders must balance the disruption to lives and livelihoods with the need to protect health workers and health systems as intensive care fills up.

In March, health workers were routinely applauded for the personal sacrifice they were making to save lives.

Many of those health workers, who have themselves gone through immense stress and trauma, are still on the frontlines, facing a fresh wave of new patients.

We must do all we can to protect health workers, and the best way to do that is for all of us to take every precaution we can to reduce the risk of transmission, for ourselves and others.

No one wants more so-called lockdowns. But if we want to avoid them, we all have to play our part.

The fight back against this pandemic is everyone’s business.

We cannot have the economic recovery we want and live our lives the way we did before the pandemic.

We can keep our kids in school, we can keep businesses open, we can preserve lives and livelihoods. We can do it!

But we must all make trade-offs, compromises and sacrifices.

For individuals, families and communities, that means staying at home and especially if you have been exposed to a case.

Furthermore, you continue to maintain physical distance, wearing a mask, cleaning your hands regularly, coughing away from others, avoiding crowds, or meeting friends and family outside.

For governments, it means doing the same things we have been calling for since day one: know your epidemic.

Break the chains of transmission. Test extensively. Isolate and care for cases. And trace and provide supported quarantine for all contacts.

With these measures, you can catch-up to this virus, you can get ahead of this virus, and you can stay ahead of this virus.

We say this because we have seen many places around the world get ahead and stay ahead of the virus.

===

There aren’t magic solutions to this outbreak, just hard work from leaders at all levels of societies, health workers, contact tracers and individuals.

And then, once you have the upper hand, it’s important to strengthen health systems, the health workforce and contact tracing systems so that the virus doesn’t take hold again.

Science continues to tell us the truth about this virus.

How to contain it, suppress it and stop it from returning, and how to save lives among those it reaches.

Many countries and cities have followed the science, suppressed the virus and minimized deaths.

From Dakar to Melbourne, Milan to Islamabad, New York to Beijing.

When leaders act quickly and deliberately, the virus can be suppressed.

For leaders, as my colleague Dr. Mike Ryan said back in March, the most important thing to do is to “move fast, have no regrets.”

But, where there has been political division at the national level; where there has been blatant disrespect for science and health professionals, confusion has spread and cases and deaths have mounted.

This is why I have said repeatedly: stop the politicisation of COVID-19.

A pandemic is not a political football. Wishful thinking or deliberate diversion will not prevent transmissions or save lives.

What will save lives is science, solutions and solidarity.

That is why we say solidarity, solidarity solidarity.

===

Finally, last week WHO conducted its first global e-learning course on health and migration, addressing a critical and often neglected topic of global health.

The course included being directly connected live with health and migration projects on the ground so that they could receive direct feedback from those in the field.

There were people attending from 122 different countries worldwide and I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate all individuals, all involved in this course.

All of public health suffers when any community is excluded.

It's vital that all countries include refugees and migrants in their national policies as part of their commitment to universal health coverage.

I hope the knowledge gained through this course will act as a catalyst for health policies that include migrants and refugee communities.

Health for all, means all.

I thank you”

—-

The above are Doc T’s opening remarks only (full conference with international media Q&A with Dr. Mike, Maria, and Swaminathan linked below):

Thank you @margarita25, an excellent message. I haven't been keeping up as I used to with the WHO sessions, and thanks for catching and sharing the most recent one.

"From Dakar to Melbourne, Milan to Islamabad, New York to Beijing." If only best practices were followed in more places as these have shown there is a way. For example, at this time, New York state is focused on increasing mitigations by zip code and neighborhood targeting. When they find a hot spot, they focus increased testing there and isolate the more severe mitigation methods to just that area vs. the whole state having to go through (e.g. closing bars, etc.). Cuomo showed the results in his presser yesterday - that approach is working. MOO

Wouldn't one positive test rule out Covid? also i think a chest x-ray for Covid patients has a very specific finding , like ground glass opacities ---and he wasn't told he had that finding. I am aware of blood clots in the lungs being cause by Covid----so i guess they will monitor him closely (temp, oxygen levels)- Thanks for the prayers!!!
When my step dad was in the hospital for pneumonia, his rapid test was negative and I asked them to run a follow up test to be sure. They said that the sample had also been sent for the regular test. But they didn't tell us this until we asked. Perhaps that is what is happening here.

Good morning all: I have a question--- with my husband having a negative PCR test (nasal swab)- 2hour turnaround time and told he does not have Covid (but remains on Covid watch), should I go to the hospital to get a Chest CT? or should I cancel the appt and wait a week or two to have the Chest CT? thanks in advance for your advice.

What was the chest CT originally scheduled for? (oops, that's too personal a question.... lemme phrase different).

If you are going for a chest scan merely to screen for COVID, I would think that isn't needed based on normal flow of testing which is done on asymptomatics who haven't yet even been connected to a positive patient. Evidence on chest x-ray per Dr. Seheult would follow a positive test and/or symptoms he has stated many times. It's later in the disease that it would show up in other words, not early. And, insurance usually has to have a reason to cover such etc?

MOO

And as always, follow your doctor recommendations, not us folks who went to a Holiday Inn! Just 2 cents here.

When my step dad was in the hospital for pneumonia, his rapid test was negative and I asked them to run a follow up test to be sure. They said that the sample had also been sent for the regular test. But they didn't tell us this until we asked. Perhaps that is what is happening here.

Yes, the flow is for such in link above that a follow up would be done, especially to R/O with the presenting symptoms I would think.

Last edited:
Thank you @margarita25, an excellent message. I haven't been keeping up as I used to with the WHO sessions, and thanks for catching and sharing the most recent one.

"From Dakar to Melbourne, Milan to Islamabad, New York to Beijing." If only best practices were followed in more places as these have shown there is a way. For example, at this time, New York state is focused on increasing mitigations by zip code and neighborhood targeting. When they find a hot spot, they focus increased testing there and isolate the more severe mitigation methods to just that area vs. the whole state having to go through (e.g. closing bars, etc.). Cuomo showed the results in his presser yesterday - that approach is working. MOO

I saw that presser by Gov Cuomo. I think that he is using a good approach ... and it is an approach that is being used in several places (including in all states here in Australia). It does work.

There are frequently little outbreaks here - particuarly in NSW - and they get them under control quite quickly by focused contact tracing, ramping up testing in that zone, relevant isolations and quarantining, some local closures for a while (perhaps a school or two, a gym, etc), and deep cleaning.

Landlords are suing the CDC for ban on evictions.

As an owner of rental property, I've been waiting to see when a suit would be filed. Thankfully, our renters are all paying on time, but if they weren't, we'd be in a world of hurt making the mortgage payments and utility payments on those properties without being able to recover any of the costs.

In my opinion -- the CDC has no right to tell property owners they must not evict a renter who is not paying. The only way that should ever be allowed is if the CDC is making the payments. This, MOO, comes under an unconstitutional "regulatory taking," and I'm watching this suit with interest.

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Landlords across northern Ohio sued the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday, claiming the agency’s move to place a nationwide moratorium on rental evictions has forced property owners “to bear a disproportionate share of the costs of the pandemic.”

The National Association of Homebuilders and a group of property owners filed the lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Akron, claiming the CDC’s order on Sept. 4 exceeds its authority and was arbitrary.

I saw that presser by Gov Cuomo. I think that he is using a good approach ... and it is an approach that is being used in several places (including in all states here in Australia). It does work.

There are frequently little outbreaks here - particuarly in NSW - and they get them under control quite quickly by focused contact tracing, ramping up testing in that zone, relevant isolations and quarantining, some local closures for a while (perhaps a school or two, a gym, etc), and deep cleaning.

Since two of us are referring to the presser on how NY is handling the microclusters and it's results, here is the video for others. (I'll do an ETA of the timestamp where that is focused on... brb)

ETA: Start at 5:50 re New York state and how they are approaching, and will be approaching through the anticipated vaccine period.

He uses many graphics in his pressers to get his point across visually... e.g.
examples.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your kind thoughts: Mr. Ilovewings just got put into a private room after being in ER for 12 hours: he is so pleased : he is on Heparin to dissolve those clots. He is still on Covid Watch - do you know why that would be- he did have a negative test-- so i am puzzled----

Maybe extra extra cautious because of those lung exrays and CT??? Make sure you let us know what they say..........

Maybe extra extra cautious because of those lung exrays and CT??? Make sure you let us know what they say..........

Excellent point - that they would minimally do a PCR follow up(s) to r/o co-infection potential as the clots are in both diseases even if their normal protocol is to also do a PCR follow up.

i just talked to my husband: he says he is not on Covid watch- he says they never told him that- i am going to visit him this afternoon: also the nurses are not wearing any special PPEs except for masks so i don't know where he got that Covid watch thing except he had been thru a lot yesterday and just misunderstood. I will talk to a nurse or doctor when i visit him today

Last edited:
This follows the WHO presentation yesterday that @margarita25 posted and WHO said South Korea response was an example of best practices. (For a refresher, they got their first case the same day as the United States). The WHO jut released a video and it's a 4:20 summarization and walk through on their experience and handling and how they kept the country open as they did testing, tracing, treatment etc. to successfully balance COVID-19 and preserving the openness of the society. They did the basics, and pointed out that the most important element was the public's trust!.

"The Republic of Korea was one of the first countries in the world to be heavily affected by COVID-19. In response to the outbreak in the country, the government implemented a robust, nationwide response, built on intensive testing and contact tracing, medical care for affected people and a clear public information campaign. This response, drawing on lessons learned from past outbreaks and the advice and support of WHO, brought the epidemic under control and demonstrated the importance of adherence to proven public health measures. This video tells the story of the Republic of Korea’s response: www.who.int/COVID-19"

Last edited:
This follows the WHO presentation yesterday that @margarita25 posted and WHO said South Korea response was an example of best practices. (For a refresher, they got their first case the same day as the United States). The WHO jut released a video and it's a 4:20 summarization and walk through on their experience and handling and how they kept the country open as they did testing, tracing, treatment etc. They did the basics, and pointed out that the most important element was the public's trust!.

"The Republic of Korea was one of the first countries in the world to be heavily affected by COVID-19. In response to the outbreak in the country, the government implemented a robust, nationwide response, built on intensive testing and contact tracing, medical care for affected people and a clear public information campaign. This response, drawing on lessons learned from past outbreaks and the advice and support of WHO, brought the epidemic under control and demonstrated the importance of adherence to proven public health measures. This video tells the story of the Republic of Korea’s response: www.who.int/COVID-19"

This kind of flies in the face of "we can't control the virus because it is contagious"

An update on the test I did last week (the random swab kit sent out to me in the post). Result is negative for Covid. The kit was collected by courier on Friday and I had an email today. I think this is impressive, being as it was a random thing and not based on suspected symptoms etc.

I wasnt worried, but it is good to know as I have been in a work environment where there have been confirmed positive cases.

I was hoping this might lead to an antibody test but feeling a bit in the doldrums today after the news about immunity not lasting long. Not sure an antibody test will achieve much for me, although may of course help with research.

An update on the test I did last week (the random swab kit sent out to me in the post). Result is negative for Covid. The kit was collected by courier on Friday and I had an email today. I think this is impressive, being as it was a random thing and not based on suspected symptoms etc.

I wasnt worried, but it is good to know as I have been in a work environment where there have been confirmed positive cases.

I was hoping this might lead to an antibody test but feeling a bit in the doldrums today after the news about immunity not lasting long. Not sure an antibody test will achieve much for me, although may of course help with research.

Negative- a great word in the time of Covid!!!!

Huh?

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F201026213113-08-wh-barrett-event-crowd.jpg

White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows walks through the crowd before Barrett's swearing-in.
Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F201026202849-03-mcconnell-barrett-vote-1026.jpg

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell leaves the chamber after the final vote to confirm Barrett o
n October 26.
J. Scott Applewhite/AP

Those look like masks to me. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads