Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When DH spent a night in the hospital a few months ago, he was required to put on his mask whenever a staff member entered his room.
I can understand a patient not being required to wear a mask when alone in their room. But visitors? There should be no need to have to remind them to put them back on, as they should never take them off when in a hospital. What are people thinking?

Sounds like a great policy your hospital had that required patients to put on a mask when a staff member entered his room.

That's the way it should be. IMO

Why would you judge how often everyone wears masks by the small percentage you see at rallies? I suspect you're wrong. As a matter of fact I know you're wrong. Why preach unity to us with a divisive negative attitude?

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> If I have my students watch a rally, right now, the first they notice is whether people are wearing masks.

Then, there's the "example" or "role model" idea - we put out into the world what we wish for others to do. So, if I show up in public without a mask (and I want people to wear them), I'm being a poor role model. TBH, I think maybe I go in the other direction (good mask, sometimes also a gaiter, sunglasses or goggles) because, well, I'm very interested in public health. I don't expect people to judge me. But I do hope that some people will be inspired to get over their self-consciousness about masks.

There are various objective studies of who is wearing a mask and who isn't, with both random and non-random samples. As Dr. Birx said, ND was very very low in wearing masks (and lo and behold, their positivity rates are so high and so many people have been exposed multiple times - that ND is providing experiential data about Covid reinfection).

People who had Covid back in March are getting it again and writing/tweeting/blogging about it. In ND. Many of them thought they were immune, but now we may start getting some figures about reinfection. To have it count for reinfection, the person has to test positive for live virions, then have two negative tests, then test positive later. For many, that seems to be coming at the 6 month mark (which correlates with the drop in antigens...the studies we need of these people would have to do with a different kind of immunity - but sadly, ND is in no state of preparedness to do that research just yet). ND needs help with this, surely.

But anyway, some people who don't wear masks may think they are now immune. And they may be - we just don't know yet how many will get it a second time. Let's say 10% (and so far, the reports I've read say that these people had a mild case first, and now a moderate-to-severe case).

ND has one of the worst track records (according to observational studies) of mask wearing, so we are able to study these issues there - if we can get our acts together to do so. We can also see that their rates are sky-rocketing. Why they are not wearing masks is a question I can't answer.

At any rate, some places have less mask use and higher Covid - not being judgmental, just stating a fact. It seems to be one of the main variables in trying to predict Covid transmission (whether people wear masks and use them properly). Social distancing is a second variable we can observe. Rallies and protests often forego adequate social distances, so wearing a mask is even more important.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand a patient not being required to wear a mask when alone in their room. But visitors? There should be no need to have to remind them to put them back on, as they should never take them off when in a hospital. What are people thinking?

Sounds like a great policy your hospital had that required patients to put on a mask when a staff member entered his room.

That's the way it should be. IMO

<modsnip: removed personalizing> But the patient may be breathing out 100,000 virions per breath (at 15 breaths per minute - so after a minute, about 1.5 million virions? After 10 minutes, 15 million virions? All of it in a cloud around the patient's head (which is where most staff and visitors will hover - this is why you sometimes see nurses stay near the foot of the bed if they can).

At any rate, I think we're learning this is what has led to so many infections among healthcare workers...

If there's any ongoing Covid community transmission, people should wear masks indoors at all times. IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter also tested positive today. I am in a complex feeling of dread, and partially hopeful, because she is young and healthy. I started crying when she told me, but didn't let her know.

Even more complex, normally, when your child is sick, you immediately want to "be there". Making soup, tucking them in, getting them crackers, whatever. In this case, I know that this disease would be absolutely deadly to my husband. So, I stay home, leaving her alone.

I never thought I would ever do that to my child. Ever. (She is 26, but still...).
Hugs and prayers
This really hurts a mother’s heart
Keep us posted please

(I am also making it a point to be more active in that thread. I apologize for not being more active over there sooner.)

(whhhaaaat, did someone hack your account? Whatcha doin over here, Buddy? Enter at your own risk!! :D)

Eta:

Whaaat? Double trouble in da house! :D I got confused and thought I was in the wrong thread for a minute!

Nice to see you guys. :)
—-

This reminds me, omg, did you guys see the chaos in Italy right now?? Grabbing link.
Eta: NBC Nightly News here

lol, I thought I got on the wrong thread. I'm so behind on cases but try to check in here every night.

Getting a flu shot could reduce your risk of getting COVID-19, preliminary research suggests

Health experts are encouraging people to get flu shots to avoid the possibility of getting the flu and COVID-19 at the same time.
According to a preliminary study, flu shots may also reduce your risk of catching COVID-19.
Researchers found that healthcare workers who got a flu shot in the 2019-2020 season were 39% less likely to have gotten the coronavirus by June.
The study doesn’t prove flu shots protect you from COVID-19, but additional research similarly suggests that vaccines can boost the body’s innate immunity to other diseases.

Getting a flu shot could reduce your risk of getting COVID-19, preliminary research suggests

Health experts are encouraging people to get flu shots to avoid the possibility of getting the flu and COVID-19 at the same time.
According to a preliminary study, flu shots may also reduce your risk of catching COVID-19.
Researchers found that healthcare workers who got a flu shot in the 2019-2020 season were 39% less likely to have gotten the coronavirus by June.
The study doesn’t prove flu shots protect you from COVID-19, but additional research similarly suggests that vaccines can boost the body’s innate immunity to other diseases.

Unfortunately, flu shot shortages are happening already. In the US and the UK.

Hopefully they are ramping up production and can get more flu shots out there ASAP.

An “unprecedented” demand for flu shots has already caused shortages at some pharmacies across the United States as the looming threat of a “twindemic” prompts Americans to get immunized early.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article246089300.html

Now, Britain is running low on flu vaccine, struggling to meet the skyrocketing demand .... Major pharmacies have halted flu shot appointments. Doctors’ offices are putting people on waiting lists — or telling them to call back in December.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...1dd47c-026b-11eb-b92e-029676f9ebec_story.html

Gen. David D. Thompson, the US Space Force's second-highest ranking officer, has tested positive for Covid-19, the US Air Force said in a statement Wednesday.

Thompson, who is the vice chief of space operations, took a test after a close family member tested positive for the virus.

The US Space Force is a newly formed military service branch structured within the Department of the Air Force.

The second-highest ranking officer in the US Space Force has tested positive for Covid-19

Such depressing posts this evening. I’m now more than a little upset after reading some of them. 1. “ Give me liberty or give me death”? Yes, okay, fine you have that choice but ONLY for yourself! You do not have the right to take or compromise others lives by making self-centered decisions. 2. As for the rest of the world watching Americans and commenting on safety precautions....I think they are. But they are doing so because they actually care about Americans and worry about what is happening in the USA. Believe me, none of the other countries are perfect, not by a long shot, (mine included) but we do seem to be trying a little harder to protect ourselves and each other with fewer dissenters. I don’t know, but tonight it feels as if some day my adult kids just might be pointing to a map telling their grandkids ( as yet unborn) that once this was a country called The United States of America. It was a great country. Today it no longer exists. It became extinct during the CoVid pandemic of 2020-2021.

Last edited:
A similar thing happened here, in Australia. I had my appointment for my flu shot in March cancelled. It was another three weeks before my medical practise got more vaccine in. Was the same all over I remember.

Oh, I didn't realise that. I got my shot in March and we didn't seem to have a problem here. Myself and my US friend went in together, and both had our shots at a local chemist.

I don't understand people not following health guidelines. It must be scary living in the USA at this time when Covid is running rampant and so many don't seem to care.
Remember. The USA is a very large country. I think it depends where you live. Where I live I haven't seen any problems as far as mask wearing goes. You need to wear them when in public and people actually do (where I live anyway). :)

March seems like an awfully long time ago now but I do remember our local news covering the vaccine shortage and talk of how they were going to access more and that there was an unprecedented demand.
I looked online at the flu clinic and pounced as soon as someone dropped out after my first cancellation, but then that one got cancelled too.
In the meantime I was self isolating and and taking all precautions
I've been getting the flu shot for years. Before that I would get one flu after another. The winters were awful and sometimes I got it in the warmer weather.
The flu shot stopped all that. I was like a new person.

Oh, I didn't realise that. I got my shot in March and we didn't seem to have a problem here. Myself and my US friend went in together, and both had our shots at a local chemist.

Last edited:
Melbourne's lockdown and wearing facemasks, praised by Dr Fauci.

Dr Fauci praises Australia’s coronavirus response and Melbourne’s face mask rules

Dr Fauci praises Australia’s coronavirus response and Melbourne’s face mask rules

Naaman Zhou
3 hrs ago
America’s top infectious diseases expert, Dr Anthony Fauci, has praised Melbourne’s response to the coronavirus, saying he “wished” the US could adopt the same mentality.
In an interview hosted by the University of Melbourne and the Melbourne-based Doherty Institute, Fauci said Australia was “one of the countries that has done actually quite well” in handling the virus.

“I really wish that we could transplant that kind of mentality here,” he said. “Because masks in the United States have almost become a political statement.”

Fauci, who is the most senior member of the White House’s coronavirus taskforce, said that Melbourne’s lockdown and mandatory mask-wearing had struck the right balance between public health and opening up the economy.

“A couple of hours before I came to my home here to pick up this Zoom, I was at a meeting virtually in the situation room in the White House,” he said. “If I were to use the word ‘shutdown’ the country or ‘lockdown’, I would be in serious trouble. They would probably be throwing tomatoes at me or something.”

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-29_17-49-41.png
    upload_2020-10-29_17-49-41.png
    68 bytes · Views: 2
  • upload_2020-10-29_17-54-4.png
    upload_2020-10-29_17-54-4.png
    68 bytes · Views: 2
And neither side has a way out. They have both painted themselves into a corner. Nobody can admit where the other side was right.

At the beginning, when 10% of people who were infected ended up in the hospital and 25% of those people died, locking everything down for a while made sense.

The folks opposed to being forced to wear masks and who didn't want to stay home had to be "defeated". The disease was characterized as a severe threat to humanity in the media and your response to it made you a good, or bad, person. But once you paint something as such an existential threat, how do you get back to normal if the disease is still around? The answer is that you can't, its like a tiger trap.

In the same way you can't get out of the trap if you have been painting this as some sort of hoax, defiantly refusing the wear masks or to socially distance, holding parties and going to bars. If it isn't real how to you admit it might be a good idea to wear a mask to help keep the case-count down.

Now, fortunately, the situation is very different; the fraction of people hospitalized is half what it was, and those hospitalized patients who die has dropped 3-5 fold. This is due both to the demographic being affected (younger people) and also to better treatment. While the disease could still devastate older people, the overall pandemic is much less "impactful" in terms of deaths than it was 7 months ago- which is great news. But neither side can budge.

As cases surge, the politicians and pundits who advocated lockdowns have nowhere to logically go except back to lockdowns and while wearing masks everywhere would slow the spread, anti-maskers throw more parties and defy health authorities.

I hope common sense prevails- everybody should be wearing masks when they are within 6 feet of a stranger and visiting crowded places less often, not never, but less often. On the other hand lockdowns like we saw in April and May might be a little extreme.

This is a very insightful post and I think you nailed it. This is the exact scenario we're seeing in our society today. And, I agree, we should still be wearing masks--and protecting our elderly loved ones--but we also need to figure out how to keep our economy strong in the meantime.

Thanks for a wonderful post!

Just got results today that one of my children tested positive. Myself and my other child will be tested Friday.

Blasted virus!

And we have been very cautious with all this. Especially because my youngest is medically fragile.

I'm so sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this stressful time.

Some of the people who have become infected are very, very careful, so I have to wonder if there might be additional ways of catching the virus that we're not yet aware of. We were discussing on this forum a few days ago how wearing masks can't keep any microscopic droplets from making contact with the eyes, so maybe that's contributing to the infections? I don't know, but I sure wish this thing would mutate into a harmless virus and leave us alone.

Best of luck to you and yours.

I just spent a night in the hospital. Mask was required until I got my room, then I could take it off but if I stepped outside the room, I had to be wearing it. Naturally I forgot about it as I was leaving.
Right. My mother was in hospital from June to September and she never had to wear a mask, inside her room or in the hallway. But as a visitor I was required to wear one everywhere in the hospital. They even made me switch from my cloth mask to one of their surgical masks.

It is so evident that mask-wearing is just not working among too many people in the US - masks are politicised to such an extent that some people are even wearing masks with their political affiliation stamped broadly across their mask!

I just saw that at Hobby Lobby yesterday. And, I thought -- why didn't I think of that and sell them? But, of course, I didn't. My favorites are the ones that pull up like bandits' bandanas, I bought a stretchy green one of those but it didn't stay up well. Plus, the fabric sucked into my mouth when I inhaled.

What I'm really looking for is a mask that fits better along the top of my face because my glasses are always fogging up. I've tried a number of different ones, but have the fogging problem with each.

I really think we need to keep the little maskless children out of the stores. I certainly see the reason for not masking them--they're not going to leave the masks on--but I don't think they need to be sitting in shopping carts, coughing and hollering. Most stores offer online or over-the-phone ordering and curbside pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RABay1735