Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My rural community is seeing a massive surge as well and--for the most part--everyone here has been complying with the recommendations I have to say "for the most part" because something absolutely ridiculous happened in the produce department of the grocery store yesterday.

There was a young man stocking produce and I noticed his mask was on his chin so that got my attention right away. A few feet away was an elderly woman who was holding two green peppers and (at the same time) trying to open one of those plastic produce bags. She had her mask on the correct way, but she was having trouble with the bag and she asked the young man if he could help. He took the bag, rubbed it between his hands, and then held the opening to his mouth and blew into it to inflate it. Then he held it out for her to put her green peppers in.

I watched the whole thing with disbelief. I should have said something but I didn't. I've been thinking that I probably ought to call the manager today so he gives the boy better instructions. He seemed like a nice young man, but what the heck?

Ugh! Yes, I would call the manager so the young man can work safely. I’m sure he wasn’t thinking and isn’t as aware as he should be. Once I noticed an employee in a deli/meal department unconsciously doing something unsanitary while cutting lasagne. I quietly brought it to her attention and she was so grateful. She said she would have been fired if her manager had seen what she was doing. I knew she wasn’t thinking and was acting like she would at home.

Coronavirus hospitalizations in US reach an all-time high with more than 60,000

.... 61,694. That's 2,024 more people than were hospitalized on April 15, the previous record.

More than 239,000 people in the US have died since the start of the pandemic, according to Johns Hopkins University. Another 110,000 or more deaths are projected in the next two months, according to the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics.

US Coronavirus: Hospitalizations in US reach an all-time high - CNN

Last edited:
In Arizona:

On Tuesday, a screen grab of a Snapchat was making the rounds on social media. It started by saying "I'm asking this on behalf of all athletes at Basha. Please for the love of god if you get covid or have symptoms don't report it because if you report it it skrews (sic) everyone around you."

A Snapchat message making rounds in Chandler urges others to hide COVID-19 symptoms.
A Snapchat message making rounds in Chandler urges others to hide COVID-19 symptoms

Ugh! Yes, I would call the manager so the young man can work safely. I’m sure he wasn’t thinking and isn’t as aware as he should be. Once I noticed an employee in a deli/meal department unconsciously doing something unsanitary while cutting lasagne. I quietly brought it to her attention and she was so grateful. She said she would have been fired if her manager had seen what she was doing. I knew she wasn’t thinking and was acting like she would at home.

Yeah, I think I need to say something.

This is the best analogy I have read .... and at least this fire chief is urging everyone to take it seriously.

"Imagine an apartment building is on fire, and the fire chief pulls up on his red truck, gets out, and with a megaphone encourages everyone inside to take the fire seriously and quickly put it out. He even offers them money to buy hoses, and all the water they need from the hydrant."

"And now that the entire apartment is ablaze, he is decided more needs to be done. So today our national leader “implored” mayors and premiers to “do the right thing—act now to protect public health.” He helpfully added, “If you think something is missing in the support we’re offering for your citizens, tell us”—looking up to the people in the burning building, pointing to all the hoses on the back of his truck."

Last edited:
Does anyone think that petitions are a way to tackle the reluctant leaders? The ones who are reluctant to take more comprehensive steps against the pandemic?

I am just thinking that we have had a case or two here in Australia where (successful) massive petitions have been made, with thousands upon thousands of signatures, that have spurred the DPP to take matters back to court to appeal for tougher sentencing. Public pressure .... 'loud' public voices.

https://twitter.com/drsanjaygupta/status/1326211934815989762

This graphic left a real impression on me. Look left: 1 person can infect 406 people within 60 days. Look right: that number drops to 2.5 people - not because of a vaccine, but with masks and physical distance. Now you can see the difference a single individual can make.

View attachment 271382

That is a pretty impressive visual----i think people need to also understand that a mask, while not 100% guaranteed to prevent the virus, can lower the viral load that a person may get to the point they may be much less symptomatic and much less ill. In other words, it could be the difference between life and death. By the way the CDC (they have not looked good in all of this, just came out with this newsflash: a mask also protects the wearer of a mask - they did some kind of study to get this result)
Duh!!! you don't need a study to know a mask is a barrier and of course it will protect a person who is wearing it to some degree. I am going to try and find a news article about this "new" finding.

That is a pretty impressive visual----i think people need to also understand that a mask, while not 100% guaranteed to prevent the virus, can lower the viral load that a person may get to the point they may be much less symptomatic and much less ill. In other words, it could be the difference between life and death. By the way the CDC (they have not looked good in all of this, just came out with this newsflash: a mask also protects the wearer of a mask - they did some kind of study to get this result)
Duh!!! you don't need a study to know a mask is a barrier and of course it will protect a person who is wearing it to some degree. I am going to try and find a news article about this "new" finding.

Here is the article that states the wearer of the mask benefits from wearing it. I have always felt that their failure to state this in the beginning of the pandemic was a huge fail. Let's face it, people care about the self first, and others second. If people were told a mask would protect them, you would have found more compliance IMO

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

This was from yesterday...

The Worst Day of the Pandemic Since May

The United States is experiencing an unprecedented surge of hospitalizations across the country. Today, states reported that 61,964 people were hospitalized with COVID-19, more than at any other time in the pandemic. For context, there are now 40 percent more people hospitalized with COVID-19 than there were two weeks ago.

Seventeen states are at their current peaks for hospitalizations today. According to local news reports, hospitals are already on the brink of being overwhelmed in Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wisconsin, and officials in many other states warn that their health-care systems will be dangerously stressed if cases continue to rise.
In the following months, some commentators, including government advisers, have played down the large case counts by saying tests were detecting people who weren’t actually sick—or if they were sick, only mildly sick. These hospitalization numbers prove that the current surge of COVID-19 cases is not merely the result of increased screening of asymptomatic people. Rather, the cases we’re detecting are a leading indicator that many people are seriously ill. Although case numbers are heavily influenced by the number of tests accessible in a particular area, hospitalizations are not.

The hospital situation in Oregon, along with southern Oregon where I live in Jackson county, is not looking good, especially if the two week pause directed by the governor for nine counties doesn’t work (i.e. no cooperation).

"The trend is clear and very concerning. Sadly, the pace of death continues to march along with dozens of Oregonians lost each week," said Dr. Dana Hargunani, the Oregon Health Authority's Chief Medical Officer. "There are limitations to what Oregon's health care system can handle. We cannot handle ever-growing high daily case counts and widespread hospitalizations."

Health officials have said that social gatherings have been driving the increase in cases, adding they have been linked to Halloween parties, weddings, and birthday parties.

Oregon governor, health officials: COVID-19 spike presents challenges for hospitals

Governor Kate Brown alongside hospital leaders throughout the state of Oregon laid out the status of available hospital beds and PPE statewide ahead of the two-week pause and increased COVID-19 restriction in Jackson and other counties.
<snip>

Southern Oregon has been hit particularly hard by the coronavirus in recent weeks. Region 5, which consists of Jackson and Josephine Counties, has seen a 162% increase in COVID hospitalization over the past week. There are just 15 currently available adult ICU beds in Region 5.
<snip>

Part of the reason for the two-week pause going into effect is that hospital administrators know today's infections are tomorrow's hospitalizations.

Surging COVID cases straining hospital bed space in Oregon

More at this link, especially concerning long term care issues in Jackson county:

Oregon hospital beds running low as Covid-19 cases surge - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2

Last edited:
If our healthcare workers aren't getting the message, how can we hope to reach the general public? This is very concerning IMO.

Northeast Ohio healthcare workers getting COVID from community spread, Cleveland Clinic doctor says

Nurses, doctors and other staff are increasingly having to leave work due to community exposure to COVID-19 and contracting the virus outside of work, taking them away from assisting in the hospitals and medical centers they work out, Vanderhoff said.

"If we don't see a shift in the way things are going, meaning if we don't control the spread of the virus in our case numbers, we won't be able to continue caring for the acutely ill without postponing important but less urgent care," Vanderhoff said.

Dr. Robert Wyllie from the Cleveland Clinic said there’s only about 10% of the hospital beds and 13 to 14% in ICU beds, which is a positive—but said there are 300 staff members at the facility out as of Monday after contracting the virus in the community.

Be careful out there, everyone! Try not to have a heart attack, stroke, head injury, gunshot wound, car accident or industrial accident. When hospitals are "full," it doesn't just impact the currently "healthy."

Exactly. In Oregon (and repeated all across the US)...

Oregonians require hospitalization for many other reasons besides COVID-19 and the concern is that critically ill patients will overwhelm hospital capacity preventing patients from accessing other important surgeries and procedures.

Surging COVID cases straining hospital bed space in Oregon

This was published way back in July 2020, but it's still powerful.

Are you still on the fence about wearing a mask?

This demonstration should be on the Today Show and other programs and news programs locally around the country to educate people---for us here at WS, it is not surprising: we already know this ( at least most of us do)----- Why isn't this happening?
Talking heads on cable TV saying "wear a mask" doesn't get it

WTH?! We just went to look at a house and the real estate agent was NOT wearing a mask! Then, she goes to hug my husband. (Who was wearing a mask). I was seriously gonna to B-Slap her.

I intervened, and loudly asked her very pointedly, where her mask was....and could she put it on, or did she need one? <modsnip>

Rant over. For now.

Did I forget to mention that her "mask", looked like a piece of white gauze? Seriously!
Good for you! now you have me wondering, was the house a contender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025