Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
WTH?! We just went to look at a house and the real estate agent was NOT wearing a mask! Then, she goes to hug my husband. (Who was wearing a mask). I was seriously gonna to B-Slap her.

I intervened, and loudly asked her very pointedly, where her mask was....and could she put it on, or did she need one? <modsnip>

Rant over. For now.

Did I forget to mention that her "mask", looked like a piece of white gauze? Seriously!
I don’t know what state you are in but in Colorado it’s a huge deal if realtors aren’t wearing masks. Realtors who don’t and are reported are facing consequences from the STate Real Estate Commission. Other Realtors are often turning them in because we don’t want to lose the ability to show homes.

I’m appalled at your Realtor’s behavior and encourage you to address it, at minimum w/her but personally I’d at least report her to her Managing Broker. And I wouldn’t blame you if you decide to file a complaint w/your State’s Real Estate Commission. At least in CO they are taking these complaints seriously.

Brazil’s health regulator suspended a clinical trial of China’s Sinovac coronavirus vaccine due to a severe adverse event

Brazil’s health regulator, Anvisa, suspended the trials late on Monday saying the event occurred on Oct. 29.

The state government of Sao Paulo, where the trial is being run, said the death of a trial volunteer had been registered as a suicide and was being investigated.

Anvisa said the initial information it received from Butantan had not specified that the death was a suicide.
“We had no choice but to suspend the trials given the event,” the head of the agency Antônio Barra Torres said.

Suicide halts Brazil trial of Chinese vaccine attacked by Bolsonaro

I don’t know what state you are in but in Colorado it’s a huge deal if realtors aren’t wearing masks. Realtors who don’t and are reported are facing consequences from the STate Real Estate Commission. Other Realtors are often turning them in because we don’t want to lose the ability to show homes.

I’m appalled at your Realtor’s behavior and encourage you to address it, at minimum w/her but personally I’d at least report her to her Managing Broker. And I wouldn’t blame you if you decide to file a complaint w/your State’s Real Estate Commission. At least in CO they are taking these complaints seriously.

I actually did call. Because I was SO outraged at her behavior. Seriously, you can't believe it. What I wrote sounds absolutely crazy. And she hugs my husband without a mask?! What? Stay 6 feet away!

People are SO stupid. There just seems to be half of the population who is completely in denial? Oblivious? Ignorant?

Denmark is backtracking on a plan for a mass mink cull, because the government doesn't have enough authority to follow through
The country's Parliament is not advancing a bill to permit the slaughter

China said prosecutions for wildlife-related crimes are up 66% compared with the same time last year, partly due to enforcement of an animal trafficking ban put in place after SARS-CoV-2 emerged
Chinese lawmakers issued a resolution to ban the sale and consumption of wild animals in February

Global COVID-19 total tops 51 million as US hospital cases rise

BBM:

“In North Dakota, where hospitals are at full capacity, health care workers who have tested positive for COVID-19 but are not showing symptoms are being allowed to continue to work. Gov. Doug Burgum announced the move Monday, saying hospital administrators had requested it to alleviate a staffing crunch.“

COVID news: 1M US cases in November; NFL approves contingency plan

BBM:

“In North Dakota, where hospitals are at full capacity, health care workers who have tested positive for COVID-19 but are not showing symptoms are being allowed to continue to work. Gov. Doug Burgum announced the move Monday, saying hospital administrators had requested it to alleviate a staffing crunch.“

More .....

Burgum announced that interim State Health Officer Dirk Wilke has amended an order that will allow health care workers with asymptomatic cases of COVID-19 to continue working in COVID-19 units at hospitals and nursing homes.

The move aligns with "crisis" guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Department of Health spokeswoman Nicole Peske and Sanford Bismarck spokesman Jon Berg both said they were unaware of any other states that have taken the extreme step.

Scattered news reports from around the country suggest that some nursing homes have allowed workers with asymptomatic cases of COVID-19 to stay on the job, but Forum News Service could find no evidence of a defined policy exception put in place by a state government.

With North Dakota hospitals at 100% capacity, Burgum announces COVID-positive nurses can stay at work | Grand Forks Herald

“Federal government ready to distribute COVID-19 drug

“The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services revealed distribution plans Tuesday for Eli Lilly’s bamlanivimab after the Food and Drug Administration authorized emergency use Monday.

HHS Secretary Alex Azar said 80,000 doses are ready for distribution this week and will be allocated to states based on COVID-19 cases and hospitalization rates. State health departments will decide which hospitals, out-patient clinics and other healthcare settings will receive the drug, similar to the one administered to President Trump when he was hospitalized with COVID-19.

Bamlanivimab, a monoclonal antibody that mimics the immune system’s response to SARS-CoV-2 infection, is approved for mild to moderate COVID-19 patients who are 12 years and older and are at risk of progressing to severe illness. It’s given to patients through an IV infusion over the course of an hour, with another hour for observation.

The federal government has already agreed to spend $375 million to provide 300,000 doses for high-risk patients, with an option to purchase an additional 650,000 doses for next year.“

[...]

“Normalcy far away even with vaccine

Keep those face masks handy. You'll need them for several more months.

News of progress toward finding a safe and effective vaccine for the coronavirus was greeted with optimism about a return to normal life, but experts say that's not going to happen any time soon, even if the vaccine gets authorized before the end of the year.

"People shouldn't think of vaccines as the savior," said Dr. Paul Offit, a professor of vaccinology at the University of Pennsylvania. "Vaccines are, along with hygienic measures, a way to get in control of this virus, but we need both. Vaccines are not going to be magical. ... You can't abandon one in favor of the other."

Distribution challenges, the vaccine's effectiveness and the public's acceptance will help determine its impact.

"If you have a very, very highly effective vaccine and we convince most of the people in the country to take the vaccine, we could get back to a degree of normality maybe by the end of 2021," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, regarded as the nation's top infectious- disease expert.“

[...]

“Vaccine may make you 'feel like crud' – but get it anyway

Now is the time to start telling America straight-up what to expect from the COVID-19 vaccine, more than a dozen public health and medical experts told USA TODAY. That includes warning that a COVID-19 vaccine likely won't be 100% effective, getting it will make a substantial number of people "feel like crud" for a day or two, and two shots will be required, not just one.

The Department of Health and Human Services says multiple government agencies are working with Operation Warp Speed and other groups on a robust public health information campaign that focuses on vaccine safety and efficacy.

"This needed to happen yesterday. It’s like watching a train wreck happen," said Daniel Salmon, director of the Institute for Vaccine Safety at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.“

Congress better get their act together quickly. The federal unemployment emergency extension ends, stops, on 12/26/2020.

Currently, Hawaii and Nevada are highest unemployment rates. The jobs, just are not there. Both states rely heavily on tourism, especially from outside of the country.

Here Are The States With The Highest Unemployment Rates In September

I just had an incredibly disheartening, frustrating conversation with a younger friend re COVID precautions. He called as he was driving to Starbucks where he was going to sit inside and work on a report. I asked him why he doesn’t work on it at home given COVID and he said he “refuses to sacrifice his lifestyle”. COVID is everywhere and people are going to get it or not. The ones who are worried should be the ones that have to change their behavior.

I spent 45 minutes quoting facts, stats and talking about the general good. Explained we are running out of hospital beds and if people don’t dial back social interaction hospitals will become overloaded and people sick with other things may not be able to receive medical attention. He readily agreed if there wasn’t enough water for some people to drink he would dial back on his water use. But doing something to ease demand on hospital rooms is different apparently.

I explained how easily the disease is transmitted, and it’s not just old people but anyone over 40 that are more likely to be hospitalized. And people who aren’t hospitalized may have long term health consequences. He’s the father of two small children and even news that kids are getting sick didn’t phase him.

The conversation ended w/me saying “so you’d rather run the risk of being responsible for the death of someone than delay hanging out inside Starbucks for a few weeks?”

His reply. “Yep”.

This is a guy in his 30’s who’s responsible and generally very kind/generous.

I have another friend who is insisting on flying to Las Vegas Friday with a friend, even though he has an immuno-compromised wife and children. He’s another that would usually give a complete stranger the shirt off his back.

It seems while these two people would go out of their way to help someone who needs it, they truly don’t see value in doing their part to avoid people getting hurt in the first place.

No public service message is going to change their minds. And our Governor is refusing to enact stricter stay at home orders or enforce the ones in place. He just keeps giving press conferences few people where he implores citizens of CO to do the right thing. Most recently asking us to limit all social interaction just to household members in November. All this imploring and we’re breaking new case and hospitalization records daily. As long as it’s more important to some people that they get to sit in a Starbucks today than save lives the plea to do the right thing isn’t going to help. I’m seeing proof first hand that people get it, THEY SIMPLY DON’T CARE.

I truly hope our Governor quits ignoring the letter sent to him last week by a number of State Health Officials begging him to tighten restrictions. If he doesn’t step up now our hospitals are going to buckle by the end of the year.

Congress better get their act together quickly. The federal unemployment emergency extension ends, stops, on 12/26/2020.

Currently, Hawaii and Nevada are highest unemployment rates. The jobs, just are not there. Both states rely heavily on tourism, especially from outside of the country.

Here Are The States With The Highest Unemployment Rates In September

Nevada Update:

“Gov. Steve Sisolak warns Nevadans to 'immediately' change their behaviors

Gov. Steve Sisolak has issued Nevadans a clear ultimatum: Shape up in two weeks, or expect steps toward another shutdown meant to halt a recent surge in coronavirus cases.

Sisolak, speaking during a Tuesday press conference at the state Capitol, told reporters the state “must see a significant reversal of the current trends” in order to keep the state’s economy up and running. He also asked local governments to step up enforcement of the state’s existing COVID-containment measures and urged employers to allow telework whenever possible — all in order to “mimic” much stricter shelter-in-place orders issued at the start of the pandemic.

The first-term Democrat has practically begged residents to follow Nevada’s mask-wearing and social distancing orders during recent virus-related press events. Now, he says he’s longer asking.

“Nevadans need to change behaviors immediately," the governor said. "Again, if we don’t make progress over the next 14 days, I will be forced to take stronger action.”“

Dr. Lynne Saddler is the district director of health for the Northern Kentucky Health Department. She said the region is seeing more hospitalizations which could be due to COVID fatigue.

"You can't ignore the virus," Saddler said. "You can't live in denial because this virus is here; it's spreading rapidly in our communities, in our businesses, in our schools, in every sector of the community."

Saddler said she did not want the region heading into the peak of the pandemic during a holiday and said we need to rethink how we celebrate during this time.

"It needs to look very different," Saddler said. "It cannot be business as usual...

NKY COVID-19 Cases Rising, Virus Spreading Rapidly In Communities

WASHINGTON

NOV 10, 2020
Dire warnings from health officials as coronavirus runs wild in Washington: ‘Any in-person gathering is risky’
As coronavirus levels reach record highs in Washington, health officials from around the state warned Tuesday afternoon that “any in-person gathering is risky,” including Thanksgiving dinners.

[...]

“We do not want to take further actions that will further hurt our economy,” said State Health Officer Dr. Kathy Lofy. “But unfortunately, if we continue on this trajectory, at some point we may need to.”

[...]

Here are the COVID-19 cases and deaths confirmed Tuesday for Washington state
On Oct. 30, the most recent date with complete data, 18,396 specimens were collected statewide, with 5.8% testing positive. The average positive test rate for the seven days prior was 4.9%. More than 2.6 million tests have been conducted in Washington.

Coronavirus update: Washington state surpasses 120,000 total COVID-19 cases
The Washington State Department of Health reported 1,441 new COVID-19 cases, 61 additional hospitalizations and 22 more deaths due to the virus.

The latest surge pushes the statewide total since the start of the pandemic to 120,011 confirmed COVID-19 cases, 9,092 hospitalizations and 2,482 deaths.

Colorado:

COVID-19 data | Colorado COVID-19 Updates

Colorado COVID-19 cases reach record high

Lines For COVID-19 Testing In Colorado Grow As Rapid Tests Face National Shortage

Colorado testing centers in high demand as positivity rate nears 12%

Colorado introduces COVID-19 testing kiosks

Colorado to receive 1.7 million rapid COVID-19 tests, though their accuracy for screening is uncertain

Colorado ICUs filling up with COVID patients | 9news.com

COVID-19 patient numbers rapidly rising at Colorado Springs hospitals

Hospitalizations Due To COVID Have Reached A New High In Colorado

Colorado’s COVID Notification App is one way to lighten load on stressed public health case investigators

Health Officials In Colorado Want Better Compliance With COVID-19 Guidelines

Local public health leaders urge Colorado to implement more aggressive COVID-19 measures – The Denver Post

COLORADO COVID-19: Colorado health officials from 7 counties urge state to issue stronger COVID-19 measures, follow dial

COLORADO COVID-19: Backcountry Guide: How to avoid 'the perfect storm' during Colorado's ski season

Denver-area health leaders ask CDPHE to not 'delay' COVID restrictions | 9news.com

Eagle County’s COVID-19 cases have doubled in the past two weeks

See 39 Colorado Counties With COVID-19 Cases at Level Red

Most Colorado counties, including El Paso, qualify for tougher COVID-19 restrictions; state officials provide few details

COLORADO CORONAVIRUS: JeffCo Board of Education to discuss COVID-19, learning models Wednesday

Colorado modeling team reviewing COVID-19 data and findings – Akron News-Reporter

COLORADO CORONAVIRUS: Douglas County School Board to re-evaluate in-person learning; DCHS, LHS transition to virtual learning

Colorado public health officials to governor: Take tougher COVID measures

Colorado Man Describes Getting COVID-19 Trial Vaccine: 'Didn't Have Any Reservations'

Colorado coronavirus: School districts switch to remote learning | 9news.com

State releases update to residential facility COVID-19 guidance

Colorado coronavirus: Regeneron study to prevent COVID infection | 9news.com

Pueblo County could be moving to a stricter safer at home level

Colorado Ski Resort Guidelines And Opening Dates For The 2020-2021 Season

Chains With the Most COVID-19 Outbreaks in Colorado

Pueblo set to move back on Colorado's COVID-19 dial as cases keep rising

Broomfield / Official receive COVID update as numbers rise – Colorado Daily

COVID-19 vaccine trials in Colorado

Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in Southwest Colorado?

COLORADO COVID-19: Broncos DL Shelby Harris tests positive for COVID-19

Colorado Springs TV anchor has the coronavirus

Parents have COVID-19 concerns as College kids return to Colorado for the holidays | FOX31 Denver

Colorado unemployment claims up as stricter COVID-19 restrictions go into effect | 9news.com

COLORADO CORONAVIRUS: Aurora Public Schools will go virtual after Thanksgiving break due to COVID-19

Local schools get state COVID grants

COVID-19 testing sites to remain open on Veterans Day in Colorado Springs and El Paso County

Suthers: “We’ve got a huge problem” if COVID cases continue at current rate in Colorado Springs | FOX21 News Colorado

Polis on How Colorado Can Save Christmas From COVID-19 Spikes

Colorado COVID-19 Vaccination Plan_101620.pdf

—-

“Colorado Gov. Jared Polis extends statewide mask mandate by 30 days

To help flatten the curve of COVID-19 in Colorado, Gov. Jared Polis announced he has extended the state's mask mandate for another 30 days. He urged Coloradans to buckle down in the coming few weeks by avoiding social interactions outside of their households, washing their hands and wearing a mask.

"Let's stop this bloodshed," Polis added. "All that's being asked of you is cancelling your social plans outside of your home for the next few weeks."“

<RSBM>
“We do not want to take further actions that will further hurt our economy,” said State Health Officer Dr. Kathy Lofy. “But unfortunately, if we continue on this trajectory, at some point we may need to.”

"At some point ... "

Having a country riddled with the virus IS hurting the economy.

Contrary to the idea of a trade-off, we see that countries which suffered the most severe economic downturns – like Peru, Spain and the UK – are generally among the countries with the highest COVID-19 death rate.

And the reverse is also true: countries where the economic impact has been modest – like Taiwan, South Korea, and Lithuania – have also managed to keep the death rate low.

Which countries have protected both health and the economy in the pandemic?

I actually did call. Because I was SO outraged at her behavior. Seriously, you can't believe it. What I wrote sounds absolutely crazy. And she hugs my husband without a mask?! What? Stay 6 feet away!

People are SO stupid. There just seems to be half of the population who is completely in denial? Oblivious? Ignorant?
It’s almost like the national narrative has become “no big deal” turning denial into some sort of bravado to impress others or to self-convince.

OREGON

NOV 10, 2020
Gov. Brown pleads with Oregonians to stay home as COVID-19 strains hospital capacity
Last week, Oregon Health & Science University received a warning sign about the rising transmission of COVID-19.

The hospital has four intensive care units. Three are specialty units that generally serve people coming out of surgery. The fourth is a medical ICU that serves everyone else.

Last week, more than half the patients in that 16-bed medical ICU were admitted for COVID-19 illness.

That was the trigger for the hospital to begin enacting the first steps of its COVID-19 contingency planning. The medical ICU has now been converted to a COVID-19-only unit.

[...]

Oregon nurse details COVID-19 story, effects on her family
[...]

Even now, more than a month later, she says she's still feeling its effects.

Ormerod says she took all the precautions to stay healthy, which is why at first she didn't realize it could be the coronavirus.

"It came on very subtly, it was a tiny cough in my throat," Ormerod said. "I didn’t even make the connection to COVID initially."

[...]

COVID relief grants available for Oregon sex workers | KOIN.com
Strippers and sex workers around Oregon can now apply for federally funded COVID relief.

PDX Stripper Strike, the Portland chapter of the Haymarket Pole Collective, was recently awarded nearly $600,000 in a COVID-relief grant from the Oregon Health Authority. The organization is now seeking applications from sex workers who are Black and/or Indigenous, are transgender, live with a minor dependent at their home or are experiencing homelessness.

[...]

“[Sex workers] are suffering right now, and they don’t have anywhere to turn,” PDX Stripper Strike Founder Cat Hollis said. “We’re providing educational grants, professional development grants, and direct aid—rent support, food, and hygiene supplies—to sex workers most impacted by prejudice and COVID. Organizations like ours are the only things keeping sex workers from falling through the cracks.”

[...]

Despite several aides and top officials recently testing positive for the coronavirus, which followed a crowded election night party at the White House last week, the president, Vice President Mike Pence, their spouses and Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert Wilkie did not wear masks at the ceremony, ignoring signs at the entrance that they were required.

The cemetery had also tweeted out a reminder about the rules for visitors Wednesday morning.

"All visitors are to follow social distancing requirements and wear face coverings while on cemetery grounds," the tweet said.

NBC News: Trump and Biden mark Veterans Day in solemn, but contrasting, wreath-laying ceremonies.
Trump and Biden mark Veterans Day in solemn, but contrasting, wreath-laying ceremonies

Speaking to the denial topic:
Snip:
False beliefs about COVID-19 are also more likely to occur in someone who has faulty systems for monitoring and evaluating scientific information. When physicians determine the efficacy of medication like hydroxychloroquine, they read research studies, evaluate the adverse effects of the drug, and some may even study the pharmacokinetics before deciding whether prescribing the medicine is worth the risk. This process of logic and reasoning is not accessible just to physicians or scientists. It is learned in elementary school and high school and is later sharpened by solving problems in work, college, and graduate school. If that process of balancing and comparing all sides of an issue is not taught, an individual is more susceptible to believing false information. Developing frontal circuitry to support the process of reasoning is part of education and science literacy and stands at the core of a healthy democracy.
Science Denial and COVID Conspiracy Theories—Lessons From Clinical Disease About Possible Neurophysiological Mechanisms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
londontolaw