Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The virus stops for no-one and nothing .....

The number of coronavirus patients in US hospitals breached 50,000 on Tuesday, the highest level in nearly three months, as a surge in infections threatens to push the nation’s health care system to the edge of capacity, Reuters reports.

US hospitalisations hit three-month high

This just doesn't make sense to me. I really believe the virus must be spreading in ways we don't understand yet. In my community, virtually everyone is masked and distancing, yet the numbers are ticking up.

I will not be sad to say goodbye to 2020 when it's finally over.

This just doesn't make sense to me. I really believe the virus must be spreading in ways we don't understand yet. In my community, virtually everyone is masked and distancing, yet the numbers are ticking up.

Consider that Fauci and others are saying as it's the 23-30.. after kids going to school...(and college towns) that much of it is now in family settings at home and in smaller groups of friends who don't mask up.

Last edited:
yep. I believe they’ve even changed out states dashboard to try and reflect this. And make the point. Our local spread is currently lots of small get togethers with family and friends and coworkers at home and elsewhere (and work break rooms)

Consider that Fauci and others are saying as it's the 23-30.. after kids going to school...(and college towns) that much of it is now in family settings at home and in smaller groups of friends who don't mask up.

Last edited:
Also have been meaning to mention as I’m on the bus daily :eek: going through a business area that Instead of enforcing masks many of the barber shops and small restaurants have blacked out their large street facing windows :confused: cause yah. (I’m guessing people going by have complained about the lack of masks).
That’ll get things back to normal quicker than wearing masks. Omg.

You underestimate just how stubborn rural folks are. What you are seeing is not what I am seeing.

Denmark will cull entire herd of 17 million minks after a mutation of [URL='https://twitter.com/hashtag/SARSCoV2?src=hashtag_click']SARSCoV2 found in minks spread to humans—posing risk to future vaccine,
“Health authorities found virus strains in humans and in mink which showed decreased sensitivity against antibodies, potentially lowering the efficacy of future vaccines, Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen said at a press conference.”
https://news.trust.org/item/20201104145311-h280p/[/URL]

Iowa numbers today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 2,818 new confirmed cases for a total of 136,047 confirmed cases of which 96,648 had recovered (+1,226). 26 more were reported to have passed for a total of 1,781. There are 49,399 active postive cases.
164 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 777 (+47 both daily records). Here are the daily age groups: 0-17: 12,184 (+282); 18-40: 60,125 (+1,138); 41-60: 38,116 (+873); 61-80: 19,877 (+413); & 81+: 5,713 (+112). Nov. 4: Iowa reports 2,818 new cases, hospitalizations continue to surge
61 Iowa counties report high virus positivity rate
Iowa COVID-19 Information

Yeah, it originally was reported/discovered in April in the Netherlands as they are the largest area for mink breeding

Two Dutch Mink Farms Infected With Coronavirus
April 26, 2020

Dutch Minks Contract COVID-19 — And Appear To Infect Humans
June 25, 20203:03 PM ET

It's part of an emerging pattern of animals getting infected with the novel coronavirus with a new concern: The minks are thought to have passed the disease back to humans. Since the discovery, more than 500,000 minks have been culled on fur farms in the Netherlands over worries that their mink populations could spread the virus among humans.

@JerseyGirl posted the culling of August 6th in the US.

COVID-19 hits U.S. mink farms after ripping through Europe

p
Question for @margarita25 @10ofRods @SouthAussie @JerseyGirl and others.

I just went to get a shingles vaccine. They recived my prescription for such 2 weeks ago. Anywhooooooooooooooo, when I went this am to CVS, they said that they didn't have any. That they lost electricity in a storm more than 2 hours so they had to throw it all out and didn't know when would receive a resupply.

Sooooooooooooooo... my question for all here...

There are 2 candidates for the frontrunners for vaccines in the US (and other places?). IIRC, one had to be kept on dry ice (e.g. FROZEN!!).

Does anyone have at their fingertips which COVID vaccine candidates are room temperature stable, vs. requiring refrigeration, vs. FROZEN in dry ice/freezer temps?

IIRC this was an issue, we discussed months back, but I cannot recall which ones require which and thought someone else here might recall as I cannot find the answer with our friend Google.

TIA.

ETA: Didn't think to ask if their flu vaccines were shelf stable... Hmmm. I just assumed they were. I'm going to call and ask right now and do an ETA for learning.

ETA #2: I called back to the CVS---->> The flu vaccines also were thrown out! So I guess most all vaccines??????? have to be at least refrigerated???? Again, IIRC one had to be frozen that is in the studies... but can't recall which.

posted by another WS:

Fight the Pandemic: Vaccines | Artis Ventures

pretty complicated- some do require refrigeration; most seem to require 2 shots 3-4 weeks apart, so not simple.

Right. That is why a "negative" test is pretty meaningless. It is a "snapshot" of that moment in time. Which is why I always thought that the WH reliance on "negative" tests was sort of ludicrous. Just saying.

FWIW, possibly not much, the WH was supposedly testing daily, so would pick up something fairly rapidly... if you recall, news reporters kept asking when the Pres had his last negative test and I do not recall if that was ever answered. With large groups, you could have some spread before any test came up positive. By now, it may be that a lot of these people already had COVID,
though the debate about how long immunity lasts and how common a second infection is, is another issue.

www.politico.com › news › 2020/04/03 › donald-trum...
Apr 3, 2020 — The White House is administering a rapid coronavirus test to anyone ... Trump or Vice President Mike Pence, Deputy Press Secretary Judd ...

Inside the Flawed White House Testing Scheme That Did Not ...
khn.org › news › white-house-testing-regimen-did-not-...

Oct 2, 2020 — President Donald Trump's COVID-19 diagnosis is raising fresh questions about ... But the new antigen test the White House is using has not been ... Vice President Mike Pence is also tested daily for the virus and ... Trump heavily promoted another Abbott rapid testing device, the ID NOW, earlier this year.

Document

from a local health department....

Things are so bad that the cruises are going to keep operations suspended for (at least) the rest of the year.

Many signs suggest a fall surge may be in full swing as the United States reports more than 90,000 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday for the second time since the onset of the pandemic.

The group that represents cruise lines with 95% of global ocean-going capacity said Tuesday that its members have agreed to extend the suspension of U.S. sailing operations for the rest of 2020.

COVID update: Coronavirus not top issue for voters; Europe cases surge

A study of the lungs of people who have died from Covid-19 has found persistent and extensive lung damage in most cases and may help doctors understand what is behind a syndrome known as “long Covid,” in which patients suffer ongoing symptoms for months.

Giacca said that, while his research team found no overt signs of viral infection or prolonged inflammation in other organs, they discovered “really vast destruction of the architecture of the lungs,” with healthy tissue “almost completely substituted by scar tissue.”

Lung damage found in Covid dead may shed light on 'long Covid,' study found

El Paso hospitals reached a record number of COVID-19 patients Monday as intensive care units hit overcapacity, officials said.

As of Monday morning, there were 978 people hospitalized for COVID-19, including 273 in intensive care and 234 on ventilators, city-county public health officials said.

El Paso, Texas, COVID-19 patient hospitalizations break records

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member