Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus UK: Half of positive Covid cases not being detected, expert says — The Independent

“About half of all positive Covid-19 cases in the UK are not being detected, an expert has said.

Mark Woolhouse, professor of infectious disease epidemiology at the University of Edinburgh, said these infections meant the country’s efforts to control the virus were being carried out "with one hand behind our back.”

“He added: "It's probably partly because many of them are asymptomatic or so mildly infected they don't recognise the symptoms, partly because people do have symptoms but actually genuinely aren't recognising them as Covid - I've heard a few cases of that in the last week - and also the possibility that some people are having symptoms and actually ignoring them, perhaps because they don't want to go into self-isolation.

"Whatever the reason, those missed 50 per cent of cases - it's like trying to control the epidemic with one hand tied behind our back. We can't do it effectively if those cases are not also being self isolated and their contacts traced. It's going to make it much more difficult.”

This reminds me, in Dr. Osterholm’s update I posted last night, I’m pretty sure he said 50 percent of cases are exposure unknown. Jmo. Going back in for quote to make sure.

eta:
“Over half of the cases we are seeing right now have no known exposure. None.”
(see video for full context)

source/ 9:00:
Osterholm Update / Ep 30: A New Dialogue / 2 days ago

(Important episode, imo)

Last edited:
Sheesh. The feedback I got from a poll of 10 surrounding neighborhoods on NextDoor regarding reasons for not wearing a mask?

Number one reason? It’s a hoax.
It’s not real. I’m not tripping over dead bodies in the street. No one I know has had it or died.

Runner up reason? No one can tell me what to do and take away my freedom.

I gave up posting after a verbal online onslaught from my neighborhood about how I was stupid to wear a mask, you’re old, stay home since you’re afraid, and the local mask b*~ch.

Fun times in the neighborhood.
May I ask where you live? Both the notion it’s a hoax or that masks somehow threaten our freedom as Americans seem to me to stem from lack of information.

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about the division in our country. Because it concerns me deeply. The response to the Pandemic is just one example of how our division has hurt us as a country.

The only solution I can come up with is similar to the way people learn to accept gay people. When you have a person in your life who is gay; family member, friend, coworker etc. People tend to embrace these folks rather than fear, judge and hate.

I am very fortunate to live in a community that thinks the same way I do. I also grew up in a community with very similar thinking as well. The negative of this is I’ve had relatively no exposure to people that come from a different viewpoint. Resulting in me creating stereotypes, hate and fear of folks like the ones you describe above.

'We must do more': Statewide mask mandate, social gathering limit coming to Utah amid COVID-19 surge

“SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Gov. Gary Herbert issued a statewide mask mandate Sunday night as part of emergency orders directing Utahns to limit social gatherings to their own household to combat the state's current COVID-19 surge.

Three days after Herbert revealed he was meeting with health and legislative officials to discuss the state of the coronavirus pandemic, the outgoing governor released a video message announcing the plan to slow the spread of COVID-19 and increase testing before the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday.
In conjunction with the Utah Department of Health, Herbert issued concurrent executive and public health orders while declaring a new state of emergency.

"We must do more, and we must do it now," he said. "This is about much more than just mandates. This is about personal responsibility.

Both orders, which go into effect Monday at 1 p.m. MT, and will remain until at least Monday, Nov. 23, represent the governor's widest measures of reform to date as Utah hit an all-time high in the spread of the virus, including new cases and hospitalization rates, in the same week.

"I ask you now, and I implore you, to do everything within your power to stop the spread of this disease," Herbert said. "The day will come when we won't have to wear masks or social distance — when we will be able to see everyone we love and care about, and give hugs and handshakes without worrying about unknowingly spreading this disease.

"I hope this day will come sooner rather than later. In the past when we have had natural disasters, we have all come together to give assistance to our neighbors, sacrificing whatever we can to help them out. This crisis is no different. It is time for the divisiveness to end, and for all of us as Utahns to unite in making whatever sacrifice is necessary to help our neighbor and to bring healing back to our state."“

[...]

“Anyone who is found to organize large gatherings of people will be fined $10,000 per occurrence, Herbert said, and state officials and prosecutors will hold them accountable. He also said that his office will distribute information about safe gatherings for the upcoming holiday season "in the coming days."“

May I ask where you live? Both the notion it’s a hoax or that masks somehow threaten our freedom as Americans seem to me to stem from lack of information.

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about the division in our country. Because it concerns me deeply. The response to the Pandemic is just one example of how our division has hurt us as a country.

The only solution I can come up with is similar to the way people learn to accept gay people. When you have a person in your life who is gay; family member, friend, coworker etc. People tend to embrace these folks rather than fear, judge and hate.

I am very fortunate to live in a community that thinks the same way I do. I also grew up in a community with very similar thinking as well. The negative of this is I’ve had relatively no exposure to people that come from a different viewpoint. Resulting in me creating stereotypes, hate and fear of folks like the ones you describe above.
Suburb Atlanta GA

How Biden plans to change the US Covid-19 pandemic response - CNN

“Increased testing and contact tracing

....Biden promises all Americans will have access to "regular, reliable, and free testing."
They say they'll double drive-through testing sites, invest in new technology, and create a U.S. Public Health Jobs Corps that would mobilize "at least 100,000" culturally competent contact tracers.
Biden says he would also borrow a page from the Franklin D. Roosevelt administration and create something akin the War Production Board, which helped supervise the conversion of peacetime factories to plants that made military equipment and weapons. A Pandemic Testing Board, Biden says, would help produce and distribute tens of millions of tests.“

[...]

Several studies have shown that there has been a severe shortage of personal protective equipment since early 2020, and some shortages have gotten worse, according to a September analysis by the American Hospital Association.
Often, medical and nursing home staff has had to reuse gloves, masks and other protective equipment at their peril.”

[...]

While the Trump administration has claimed to use the Defense Production Act to step up production of PPE, a nonpartisan analysis in September found it has rarely done so.
Biden said he would use that power to make sure the national supply stocks are fully replenished. He also promised to help create American-sourced products so the US would not be dependent on other countries.
In addition to encouraging Congress to pass an emergency package to help schools pay for pandemic supplies, the Biden administration would create a "restart package" to help small businesses pay for protective equipment and plexiglass.

A push for 'clear, consistent, evidence-based guidance'”

[...]

The Biden team says it would create a Nationwide Pandemic Dashboard so people could gauge for themselves, in real time, how much disease is in their ZIP code....”

[...]

“Rejoining WHO and searching for future threats
The Trump administration formally began the process of withdrawing from the World Health Organization in July. Biden says he would re-establish the US relationship with WHO.
The Biden administration also says it plans to expand the CDC's ranks oversees, so that its disease detectives can spot future threats.”

[...]

“During the Trump administration, PREDICT, the pathogen-tracking program that looks for future disease threats such as the coronavirus, ended. Biden said he'd re-launch it.
Biden also said he would restore the White House National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense, which the Trump administration had folded into another organization in 2018. It had been created by the Obama administration in 2016 to help managing threats like Ebola.”

-more at link

Last edited:
One of the things that Biden did not mention (as can ONLY be done by the states IIRC) is to REQUIRE vaccines as is done with so many communicable diseases.

This is going to be a tall hill to climb, and will be of interest to see how and when it plays out as Biden only spoke of masks.

I was FLOORED to learn that the Supreme Court decision on vaccinations allowed to be mandate by states (can't be federal, just like mask mandates) was decided re smallpox in 1904-1905!

"Notably, the U.S. Supreme Court has rejected challenges to compulsory vaccination partly on the grounds that individual belief cannot subordinate the safety of an entire community."

HENNING JACOBSON, Plff. in Err., v. COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS.

I wish Cuomo would be more positive about the vaccine news. This is just what the nation needs right now and the sooner it gets to the public, the better in my opinion.

I'm so ready for this virus to be over!

“The good news is the Pfizer tests look good and we’ll have a vaccine shortly. The bad news is that it’s about two months before Joe Biden takes over and that means this administration is going to be implementing a vaccine plan,” Cuomo told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos on Good Morning America. “The Trump Administration is rolling out the vaccination plan and I believe it’s flawed. I believe it learns nothing from the past.”
Cuomo: 'Bad News' that Pfizer Announced Vaccine Results Before Biden Assumes Office | National Review

I have now made myself nearly two dozen silk lined masks because it made such a huge difference with my asthma, mask acne, and my hot flashes! And I learned about silk from someone else in here. I'm grateful.

Geez, I must have missed some of this silk discussion way back.... so glad you have brought it back up.
So a question or two

Is the silk just a cut single layer added inside another mask?
Or is the whole mask silk?
How do you think it helps hot flashes? I kindof have permanent hot flashes after breast cancer treatments long ago.... so am verrrry interested!!
Thanks Jane....

I wish Cuomo would be more positive about the vaccine news. This is just what the nation needs right now and the sooner it gets to the public, the better in my opinion.

Cuomo: 'Bad News' that Pfizer Announced Vaccine Results Before Biden Assumes Office | National Review

The vaccine news is very exciting... I fear that current admin will just use it for a PR shot, not handle it the right way.

We need a planned, organized roll-out for vaccines, and current admin has failed to have any effective national plans for us.

Pence breaks silence to take credit for Pfizer vaccine - and drugs company immediately denies Trump involved

The vaccine news is very exciting... I fear that current admin will just use it for a PR shot, not handle it the right way.

We need a planned, organized roll-out for vaccines, and current admin has failed to have any effective national plans for us.

Pence breaks silence to take credit for Pfizer vaccine - and drugs company immediately denies Trump involved

Well, we may not see a rollout anytime soon. :(

It looks like Cuomo is trying to block it. I wish all these politicians would stop playing politics and act in the nation's best interest. I'm excited about this vaccine and I don't want to see anyone else die that might be saved by getting the vaccine. The way the current surge is going, they just need to get this vaccine to the people. Yesterday.

<modsnip: not an approved link>

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez, I must have missed some of this silk discussion way back.... so glad you have brought it back up.
So a question or two

How do you think it helps hot flashes? I kindof have permanent hot flashes after breast cancer treatments long ago.... so am verrrry interested!!
Thanks Jane....
One layer can be silk. I go with the inner layer. It's cooler and more breathable.

“Illinois COVID-19 hospitalizations are rising so quickly that, in roughly a week, the number could surpass the highest tally seen in the spring surge, a Tribune analysis has found. And the skyrocketing admissions are raising new concerns that some hospitals could eventually be packed with patients.

The analysis comes as Illinois continues experiencing surges in coronavirus cases and deaths. State health officials Sunday reported more than 10,000 new confirmed and probable COVID-19 cases. There also were 42 more deaths reported Sunday, bringing the confirmed statewide death toll to 10,196. The seven-day statewide positivity rate increased to 10.6%.“

Coronavirus in Illinois updates: Here’s what’s happening Monday with COVID-19 in the Chicago area

—-

Pence absent from Covid-19 planning calls for more than a month
Oct. 29, 2020

“...It’s a prolonged absence that represents just the latest sign of the task force’s diminished role in the face of the worsening public health crisis it was originally created to combat.

Once a driving force behind the White House’s coronavirus messaging, the group hasn’t held a collective press briefing in months. Inside the West Wing, task force members’ growing alarm over the virus’ resurgence has gone largely ignored. And among health officials on the front lines, there is mounting consensus that the federal government has little new aid to offer – leaving states to face the pandemic’s third and potentially worst wave increasingly on their own.

“There’s not any acknowledgment or appreciation of the severity of the surge,” said an official in one governor's office long frustrated with the federal response. “The stark reality that we’re facing is the White House – from top to bottom – has stopped governing and is only campaigning.“”

[...]

““This is the most worrisome of the three surges so far,” said Bruce Siegel, the CEO of America’s Essential Hospitals, which represents safety net providers. “This is the first time we’ve had such widespread outbreaks across America.”“

—-

“Biden's announcement of a coronavirus task force is an acknowledgment of record new infection numbers in recent days that mean that the Covid-19 crisis will be far worse by the time he reaches the Oval Office in January. The initiative is a forceful statement of intent and makes clear that Biden will use an active transition period to mobilize against the staggering health and economic challenges he will face.“

Donald Trump in denial over election defeat as Joe Biden gears up to fight Covid

—-

Texas doctor named to President-elect Joe Biden's COVID-19 task force

“It's not clear whether or not President Donald Trump's administration will work with Biden's task force. However, Biden says he plans to reach out to governors about a state mask mandate as soon as possible.“
There are bars and restaurants in my area, and even entire towns, refusing to comply with the new, stricter mitigation strategies that Pritzker has put in place due to the surge. It's shameful.

I have now made myself nearly two dozen silk lined masks because it made such a huge difference with my asthma, mask acne, and my hot flashes! And I learned about silk from someone else in here. I'm grateful.

So a question or two

Thanks Jane....

(Whaaaat, helps your hot flashes? Maybe this can help inspire some previously reluctant women to wear masks :D)

There’s no room for sugar coating here. Distribution, etc. is a major facet of all this vaccine business, and unfortunately, some people may suddenly think, “oh, now we have an effective vaccine, so we can just...”.

This is why JB put out the memo first thing this morning, imo:
@JenniferJJacobs
Biden's statement on the news that Pfizer is getting closer to an effective coronavirus vaccine.

5b655e0c-2575-4f35-a066-a8a61e6214c8-jpeg.271184
While news about the vaccine is no doubt excellent news, we need to be realistic with our expectations, and make sure this news doesn’t change current approaches wrt to mitigation plans, etc., because we still have a ways to go.

Additionally, from the above link:

“According to the governor, the administration’s plan will be ineffective because it will be implemented through the private sector.

“They’re going to take this vaccine and they’re going to go through the private mechanism. Through hospitals, through drug market chains, et cetera. That’s going to be slow and that’s going to bypass the communities that we call health care deserts,” Cuomo said. “If you don’t have a Rite Aid or a CVS then you’re in trouble and that’s what happened the first time with Covid.”“

(Whaaaat, helps your hot flashes? Maybe this can help inspire some previously reluctant women to wear masks :D)
I started to work with silk to see if I could help my fellow asthmatics. I had to buy a different plate for my machine and special scissors and it has taken some learning, but has been well worth it.

I've also had less mask acne with these. I also really recommend washing masks with something like All Free and Clear and not using fabric softener. It will make a difference in your breathing and facial irritation, which i know some people here have reported issues with. The fewer chemicals you use on these, the better. Go hypoallergenic as much as you can.

Oh gosh so much stuff
The vaccine announcement. They couldn’t have waited a couple weeks to do that ? Dude. This has conspiracy theory written all over it moo :rolleyes::confused:

there are republican governors that have done ok let’s be fair

I live in a decently liberalish area. We still have the masks are muzzles and all that jazz here too *shrug*

gatherings and social life aren’t gonna stop. Gotta live their best lives ya know *shrug*

doing my best to protect my own. Realizing a lot of people just don’t care. Period. I don’t even wanna know what their reason is at this point. Cause *I* Just don’t care

speaking of governors :mad:
Though we’ve usually *followed the science” and done ok I’m not ok. With everyone back to school regardless of numbers. Disclaimer I haven’t watched the whole pc nor read extensive news about the details. But do have an adult sized school aged kid supposed to start soon. Hasn’t been in school since March. (sort of -the whole spring semester was a bust) dh 100 percent against it, I was 70-30 hoping they’d call it off anyway. They did *phew* felt like I was tossing my baby into a volcano.

mass news is depressing- numbers suck -people don’t care or aren’t being careful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saglimtas20