Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sat, November 14, 2020, 10:08 AM EST

The Dakotas are 'as bad as it gets anywhere in the world' for COVID-19

South Dakota welcomed hundreds of thousands of visitors to a massive motorcycle rally this summer, declined to cancel the state fair and still doesn't require masks. Now its hospitals are filling up and the state's current COVID-19 death rate is among the worst in the world.

The situation is similarly dire in North Dakota, with the state's governor recently moving to allow health care workers who have tested positive for COVID-19 to continue working if they don't show symptoms. It's a controversial policy recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in a crisis situation where hospitals are short-staffed.

And now — after months of resisting a statewide mask mandate — North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum changed course late Friday, ordering masks to be worn statewide and imposing several business restrictions. He had avoided requiring masks and refused to enforce limits on social gatherings and business occupancies until late Friday.

“Our situation has changed, and we must change with it,” Burgum said in a video message posted at 10 p.m. Friday. Doctors and nurses “need our help, and they need it now,” he said.

In conservative regions like the Dakotas and elsewhere in the world, it's common to see push back like an “allergic reaction to being told what to do,” said Taylor, author of "The Psychology of Pandemics".

How widespread is COVID-19 across North and South Dakota?
The current rates of infection and death in South Dakota and previously restriction-free North Dakota are what Dr. Ali Mokdad would expect to see in a war-torn nation — not here. “How could we allow this in the United States to happen? This is unacceptable by any standards.”

North Dakota's COVID-19 death rates in the past week are similar to the hardest hit countries in the world right now — Belgium, Czech Republic and Slovenia — according to Saturday New York Times data. That data also places South Dakota's recent per capita deaths among the world's highest rates.

And there's currently nowhere in the U.S. where COVID-19 deaths are more common than in the Dakotas, according to data published by The COVID Tracking Project.

It's a situation “as bad as it gets anywhere in the world," Dr. William Haseltine told USA TODAY.

How did it get so bad?
Mokdad pointed to a number of factors that have made both North and South Dakota vulnerable to the virus' spread. He cited higher rates of preexisting conditions and economic inequality in the region, in addition to health care that lags behind the U.S. standard.

But the lack of regulation from the states' leaders is an ongoing and fixable problem, Mokdad said.

Haseltine, president of ACCESS Health International and author of My Lifelong Fight Against Disease, blamed politicians — especially South Dakota Republican Gov. Kristi Noem — for ignoring public health measures that have been successfully used to curb the spread of the virus elsewhere in the world.

Noem has cast doubt on whether wearing masks in public is effective, saying that she’ll leave it up to the people to decide. She has said the virus can’t be stopped.

Noem and Burgum have touted ideals of limited government, with Noem continuing to express concern about how decisive state action could be an example of a government overreach.

But Haseltine framed public health actions another way: Not enacting them is like standing in the way of an ambulance — the ambulance being proven health measures like mask mandates and social gathering restrictions. Even worse, encouraging large scale events in a pandemic as South Dakota has done is equivalent to manslaughter, Haseltine said.

Gov. Kristi Noem won't comply with Biden face mask mandate: He 'doesn't have the authority'

GettyImages-105873467.jpg

South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem
(The Washington Post / Getty Images)

I have many names for Kristi- ignorant and arrogant are just two- she is a horror

lol

eta / from the above link:

“Ask yourself: Do you feel better today about what’s going on in this state, than you felt maybe in June or July, or August, when we were one of the lowest states for infection rate?" Gordon said. "We were one of three states that could have a state fair. We had a carnival going. Ask yourself: Do you think we could do that now without running a risk on everything? Our capacities are overwhelmed. It’s time that Wyoming woke up and got serious about what it’s doing," Gordon said at a news conference at the state capitol in Cheyenne.“

I have many names for Kristi- ignorant and arrogant are just two- she is a horror
"Our situation has changed, and we must change with it,” ND Gov Burgum said in a video message posted at 10 p.m.
So suddenly he's Churchill? I don't know a lot about that region but I fear, that for some, it could be a long drive to get medical attention.

Financial assistance would be helpful to help keep citizens from moving about, but it would take an astronomical amount of money. Still, there's a chance...

There's no chance, however, of forcing law enforcement to enforce quarantines. At least, not when it comes to elected county sheriffs, who are actually the highest law enforcement entities in their counties. An elected sheriff can run the FBI right out of the county if he/she chooses, and that's one of the big reasons we don't have strong gun control--hundreds of elected sheriffs have said they will not enforce anything that threatens the 2nd Amendment in their counties.

Governors can limit travel--and they can block persons from other states entering their states--but they can't block travel on federal highways. The feds can, but likely won't because food and other essentials need to get through.

Could they amend our Constitution? Yes, but it would take years and there's very little interest in doing so on any side. Neither Democrats nor Republicans seem interested.

So, we have to look at other options, which, in my opinion, have to appeal to logic and emotions. Americans aren't very good at complying with strong-arm regulations, as everyone has seen already.

Biden won't have any more options available to him than Trump did. His best bet is to be uniting and encouraging, but we've already seen governors and sheriffs who've said they won't comply. Folks in this nation are armed to the teeth and lawmakers have always had to balance rules with rights to prevent pushback.

It's just something our nation has to work around that other nations don't.

Governor (if on board) can have state police break up parties and gatherings that are larger than allowed in the state. Obviously tougher for private parties, but if there are complaints.... can be done.

Last edited:
The US is going to have issues with the vac. I see a lot of people saying "not me".

Fortunately, if the vac offers protection, then at least some/many people will be protected.

what will happen is that without the vaccine, maybe you will be denied entry- to a venue, a store, a college, a city (!), school, transit, etc. Cannot do this until everyone is offered a vaccine,
and since they are not 100% effective, there would still be cases. Presumably even if vaccinated, some people will still not be protected.

The state police? You mean the state highway patrol?

In Oregon (where I think this conversation originated and perhaps branched out) the Oregon State Police is more than state highway patrol. At her news conference yesterday Oregon Governor Kate Brown said:

“In terms of individuals, I am not asking you -- I am telling you to stop your social gatherings, your informal social gatherings, and your house parties, and to limit your social interactions to six and under, not more than one household. And I'm asking that immediately.” Brown said.

"I will take stronger action as appropriate," she added. “I’ve already directed the superintendent of (Oregon) State Police to work with local law enforcement to legally enforce the informal social gathering orders.”

"I will be issuing an executive order regarding these restrictions, and as before, as always, these are enforceable by law," Brown said. "Law enforcement has the discretion to enforce these. They are Class C misdemeanors, and they can be enforced through a citation, a fine or through an arrest." (Class C misdemeanors carry a fine of up to $1,250.)
Gov. Brown declares 2-week statewide freeze in bid to curb COVID-19 case spike - KTVZ

Here is a description of the duties of the Oregon State Police:

The Department of Oregon State Police (OSP) is a law enforcement agency of the U.S. state of Oregon. The OSP enforces all of Oregon's criminal laws and assists local law enforcement agencies. Terri Davie has served as Superintendent since November 1, 2020.[4]

The agency differs from other state police highway patrol agencies in that OSP has many other areas of specialization and responsibility. In addition to the Patrol Division, OSP has a Criminal Division (detectives, arson, explosives), SWAT, DPU (Dignitary Protection Unit), MRT (Mobile Response Team), a Forensic Services Division (crime labs), a Fish and Wildlife Division (game wardens), a Medical Examiner's Division, an Oregon State Fire Marshal Division, and it is one of the few law enforcement agencies in the United States that monitors the security of the state lottery.

Oregon State Police has primary jurisdiction on state highways and all other state owned property, including state prisons and other facilities. It also frequently responds to incidents in rural areas when local agencies lack capacity or otherwise require assistance.
Oregon State Police - Wikipedia

maybe it is not us being sloppy with social distancing.
maybe it is the virus becoming more contageous:

Common SARS-CoV-2 Mutation May Be Making COVID More ...
www.medscape.com › viewarticle

Nov 4, 2020 — Most SARS-CoV-2 virus strains worldwide have a genetic mutation that boosts ... Find the latest COVID-19 news and guidance in Medscape's ... strains early in the outbreak and during a second wave of infection over the ..
BBM

Very interesting about the virus becoming more contagious. But I can tell you, that at least in Oregon, “being sloppy with social distancing” at small social gatherings is absolutely driving the spread, provable by contact tracing. This is why our governor is cracking down hard on gatherings. People wouldn’t be exposed to a more contagious virus if they would stop these parties.
JMO

This is very thoughtful of you. :)

"When COVID-19 hit, the U.S. was unable to provide adequate testing supplies and equipment, unable to provide adequate personal protective equipment (PPE), and didn't have a functioning plan," says Rob Handfield, first author of the study and Bank of America University Distinguished Professor of Operations and Supply Chain Management at North Carolina State University.

"The SNS hadn't replenished some of its supplies since the H1N1 pandemic in 2009-10. Many of its supplies were expired. And there was no clear leadership. Federal authorities punted problems to the states, leaving states to fight each other for limited resources. And the result was chaos.

"We need to be talking about this now, because the nation needs to be better prepared next time. And there is always a next time."

To that end, Handfield and collaborators from NC State, Arizona State University, the Naval Postgraduate School and the Air Force's Contracting Career Field Management Team came together to outline the components that are necessary to ensure that there is an adequate federal response to future health crises. They determined that an effective federal program needs to address five criteria: (outlined at link)

So, I have seen hospitals and clinics throw away tons of supplies, because they were "out of date". The date issue is a favorite of pesky JACHO and CARF accreditation inspections. "OMG! A hand sanitizer container, ONE MONTH out of date! Write this place up! Ten demerits!!!!".

Seriously?! Do masks actually go "out of date"? Check your box of masks, there is an expiration date on it. This is why the United States had no PPE. The over regulation of the medical establishment and the big pharma, businesses that insist on "expiration dates" on PPE. So, must be tossed and buy more!

lol

eta / from the above link:

“Ask yourself: Do you feel better today about what’s going on in this state, than you felt maybe in June or July, or August, when we were one of the lowest states for infection rate?" Gordon said. "We were one of three states that could have a state fair. We had a carnival going. Ask yourself: Do you think we could do that now without running a risk on everything? Our capacities are overwhelmed. It’s time that Wyoming woke up and got serious about what it’s doing," Gordon said at a news conference at the state capitol in Cheyenne.“

Doh! The thought that maybe if they had not had carnivals, rodeos, and having a merry time, they would not be in the mess they have now.

Rural states were puffed up like toads in March and April. Thinking that Covid would NEVER come to Wyoming!!! Yeah, how did that thinking work for you?!

There's no chance, however, of forcing law enforcement to enforce quarantines. At least, not when it comes to elected county sheriffs, who are actually the highest law enforcement entities in their counties. An elected sheriff can run the FBI right out of the county if he/she chooses, and that's one of the big reasons we don't have strong gun control--hundreds of elected sheriffs have said they will not enforce anything that threatens the 2nd Amendment in their counties.

Yes, you are correct about elected county sheriffs being the highest law enforcement entities in their counties. The FBI has to be asked for assistance by any LE entity. As far as I know, in Oregon the Oregon State Police will only be able to work to assist local LE (police or sheriff) to enforce the Governor’s freeze on social gatherings that I have mentioned previously.

Our local sheriff announced he would not enforce any of our governors attempts to control the virus a few months ago, and is now publicly blaming the governor for the increased cases. :cool:

Brilliant!

This is a pretty common theme in a number of states. We need a unified message that will convince people to follow healthy rules.

I hope a unified message about following healthy rules is coming. There are plenty of people who would comply if they were better educated by public service announcements, videos on TV and social media, billboards, etc.

Unfortunately, there is a large segment of society who are convinced that the various rules enacted during the pandemic are a government plot to take away their freedom. They cannot be educated out of their mindset. Just read the comments on your local news FB pages and weep. Or come to the Jackson county Oregon FB pages and read ours. :mad:

Governor (if on board) can have state police break up parties and gatherings that are larger than allowed in the state. Obviously tougher for private parties, but if there are complaints.... can be done.

The governor of Oregon has instructed the Oregon State Police to assist local law enforcement (police or sheriff) in enforcing the freeze on social gatherings. But OSP could not swoop into a county to enforce this freeze if the local sheriff opposed. They have different areas of authority and most of the time cooperate, thankfully.

JMO MOO

Jodi Doering
@JodiDoering

I have a night off from the hospital. As I’m on my couch with my dog I can’t help but think of the Covid patients the last few days. The ones that stick out are those who still don’t believe the virus is real. The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is going to ruin the USA. All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm. They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that “stuff” because they don’t have COViD because it’s not real. Yes. This really happens. And I can’t stop thinking about it. These people really think this isn’t going to happen to them. And then they stop yelling at you when they get intubated. It’s like a horror movie that never ends. There’s no credits that roll. You just go back and do it all over again. Which is what I will do for the next three nights. But tonight. It’s me and Cliff and Oreo ice cream. And how ironic I have on my “home” Hoodie. The South Dakota I love seems far away right now.

Jodi Doering
@JodiDoering

I have a night off from the hospital. As I’m on my couch with my dog I can’t help but think of the Covid patients the last few days. The ones that stick out are those who still don’t believe the virus is real. The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is going to ruin the USA. All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm. They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that “stuff” because they don’t have COViD because it’s not real. Yes. This really happens. And I can’t stop thinking about it. These people really think this isn’t going to happen to them. And then they stop yelling at you when they get intubated. It’s like a ******* horror movie that never ends. There’s no credits that roll. You just go back and do it all over again. Which is what I will do for the next three nights. But tonight. It’s me and Cliff and Oreo ice cream. And how ironic I have on my “home” Hoodie. The South Dakota I love seems far away right now.

Oh my! How heartbreaking that this poor nurse has to endure this abuse. These are the same people I posted about above who think Covid is fake news, that the daily death statistics are designed to scare us, and that restrictions are a plot by the government to take away their freedom. It’s crazy that they continue to spout this stuff even when they are in the hospital with Covid, fighting for their lives. No amount of education by the government about Covid designed to increase mitigation measures is going to fix this kind of stupid.
JMO MOO

Hold Still - Hold Still Gallery

These are the top 100 UK photos that Katherine has posted about as to COVID impact in the video at
Majesty/Joe Little @MajestyMagazine
The Duchess of Cambridge marks the end of the UK-wide
#HoldStill community exhibition with a video message thanking everybody who submitted a portrait to the project. © Kensington Palace https://npg.org.uk/hold-still/ #royal #DuchessofCambridge

This pic really got to me ... this could be any of our nurse daughters or sons.

xx3.JPG

I hope a unified message about following healthy rules is coming. There are plenty of people who would comply if they were better educated by public service announcements, videos on TV and social media, billboards, etc.

Unfortunately, there is a large segment of society who are convinced that the various rules enacted during the pandemic are a government plot to take away their freedom. They cannot be educated out of their mindset. Just read the comments on your local news FB pages and weep. Or come to the Jackson county Oregon FB pages and read ours. :mad:

The governor of Oregon has instructed the Oregon State Police to assist local law enforcement (police or sheriff) in enforcing the freeze on social gatherings. But OSP could not swoop into a county to enforce this freeze if the local sheriff opposed. They have different areas of authority and most of the time cooperate, thankfully.

JMO MOO

I have thought this so many times and I don't know why we're not seeing it. I remember campaigns like the one showing Smokey the Bear saying "Only you can prevent forest fires." Or, the campaign to "Buckle Up" your seatbelt.

You're also right about the segment of society that thinks it's a government plot--and they harder they're pushed, the harder they push back.

The Kansas governor was the first in the nation to close schools and she went on to shut down other things, but soon after, the KS legislature voted to limit her powers to shut down anything. One of the bigger problems was that the Kansas Dept. of Labor bungled getting unemployment to those approved by the CARES Act, so a large number of self-employed who qualified didn't get a dime. It got nasty for a while and then those self-employed folks just went back to work, because they had to. They had to feed their families.

Now, we have a lame-duck situation on the national level and there's almost no chance any money will be coming to those who are hurting. If any money is approved early next year, it will be March or later before it lands, so the people who are at the greatest risk -- those living in poverty -- will still be violating regulations to go out and work. And then there are the ones we've forced to go to work--the meat packers who have suffered high rates of infections and taken those infections home to their families.

Thankfully, there are vaccines on the horizon and hopefully, between the vaccines and the existance of T-cells we'll finally kick this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member