Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #87

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about the vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna @10ofRods or anyone else with insight. If I receive one of these vaccinations, how will I know how long it will last? How soon would I be unprotected? With my annual flu shot I receive in September, I figure the protection it offers will fade by sometime in the spring, when less flu is circulating. Is this vaccination for Covid similar, I wonder. Has anyone given us that information? Thanks. :)

Too soon to know ......

The Pfizer trial started less than four months ago, and how long the vaccine will confer protection and how many will benefit are almost complete unknowns for now.
Pfizer vaccine results leave questions about safety, longevity | India News - Times of India

How different ethnic, age or vulnerable groups differ in their response to individual vaccines is also likely to vary, as may the longevity of protection that is elicited by these different vaccines. Therefore, it may be that certain types of vaccine may be better suited to particular patient groups – all questions currently unanswered.
Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine is nearly 95% effective | BioTechScope

““People just need to hang on. It’s not forever, it’s only for a few more months,” Trudeau said in an interview for The Mike Farwell Show, which aired on 570 News Kitchener on Tuesday.

“We can do what we need to do to keep our loved ones safe and mostly as well keep our front-line workers from being overwhelmed and our hospital rooms from being overfilled.”“

[...]

“Chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam echoed the comments about Canada’s coronavirus trends on Friday. Speaking to reporters, she warned that Canada could see daily case counts of more than 10,000 by early December – if the country “continues on the current pace.”

“You can only imagine if we got to that level, that the pressure on the health-care system would be huge,” she said. “We’ve got to stop the acceleration so we don’t see that (number) in the beginning of December… That’s only a few weeks away.””

Pfizer may file authorization request for Covid-19 vaccine within days

Pfizer may be within days of filing for an emergency use authorization for its Covid-19 vaccine, having collected the safety data necessary to submit an application to the Food and Drug Administration, CEO Albert Bourla said Tuesday.

“We are very close to submitting for an emergency use authorization,” Bourla said during the STAT Summit, which this year is a virtual event. Bourla sidestepped the question of whether Pfizer’s filing would be made this week.

“Let us not create expectations,” he said in conversation with STAT’s Matthew Herper. “We will announce it as soon as we are doing it.”

Well, I don't know the answer, but I suspect we don't have enough data yet. I wouldn't be surprised if, like the flu shot, it loses effectiveness over time.

I'm concerned too that it may prove to be less effective in older adults like DH and me (in our mid 70s). I think we may need to continue with the masks and distancing, etc., indefinitely.

I was hoping I’d missed information somehow, but I figured it was too soon to have enough data. I guess it will be like the annual flu shot, in that we don’t have more than a general idea how long it’s effectiveness lasts.

I hadn’t thought about effectiveness for older adults. We are in our mid 70s too and always get the flu vaccine for seniors. I suspect it may take time for that development with the Covid vaccine.

Too soon to know ......

The Pfizer trial started less than four months ago, and how long the vaccine will confer protection and how many will benefit are almost complete unknowns for now.
Pfizer vaccine results leave questions about safety, longevity | India News - Times of India

How different ethnic, age or vulnerable groups differ in their response to individual vaccines is also likely to vary, as may the longevity of protection that is elicited by these different vaccines. Therefore, it may be that certain types of vaccine may be better suited to particular patient groups – all questions currently unanswered.

“Too soon to know” is what I figured. Thanks for the links. I guess if we decide to get it, we will just assume it doesn’t last very long and act accordingly as far as precautions are concerned. It’s not a “magic bullet” although it’s better than nothing.

I always review my test results-- i want to know the details: so often a doctor's assistant will call and say "everything is fine"-- i want details. they are important. If I have any questions i send a message thru a portal to my physician----

Fortunately, I can get results for everything through the portal so I can review them before talking to the doctor. “Everything is fine” doesn’t cut it, but I realize that’s about all the time the office staff has.

Rare for Stanford to come out to debunk one of their own.......

But...he's not really Stanford. The presidential library of Herbert Hoover sits on Stanford land (Hoover Tower) and in it is a conservative think tank (Hoover Institute). The staff there do not teach classes at Stanford nor can they publish under the Stanford logo/imprint (and Stanford University Press has never accepted any of their publications for printing).

Notoriously, they have hosted scholars from Russia and Cuba who are highly critical of their home countries. Stanford does own the building, but the lease gives it to the Hoover Institute which was and always will be a conservative, increasingly right wing think tank.

Stanford University has a lease that allows the Hoover Institute to do what it does in perpetuity. You can visit the building, see Hoover memorabilia and ride the elevator to the top. But the people inside do not receive paychecks from Stanford, they aren't hired by Stanford HR, they are their own thing. They do love using the word "Stanford" in their letterhead, though.

Stanford also gets to use the Hoover archives (but it's not easy to get into them).

Hoover Institution - Wikipedia

The last line of the article mentions Atlas and his disinformation.

Last edited:
So ... my niece just told me that one of her sons school just went into quarantine. Which means this son has two weeks isolation at home. As well, his whole household must quarantine at home - my niece, the other son as well. No work for them for two weeks either.

Evidently we are not giving this outbreak one iota of a chance to spread.

Last edited:
Too soon to know ......

Yeah, way too soon to know.
My biggest concern is if the vaccine is safe for people with pre-existing conditions. Such as cancer patients, recovered cancer patients, people with autoimmune disorders, heart conditions, diabetics, etc. How healthy must you be for the vaccine to not harm you?

So ... my niece just told me that one of her son's school just went into quarantine. Which means this son has two weeks isolation at home. As well, his whole household must quarantine at home - my niece, the other son as well. No work for them for two weeks either.

Compare.
This is what we do in the US.

OC pandemic: Angry residents speak out at Board of Supervisors meeting, demand that COVID closures be lifted
"We the people, we're battered and bruised," a woman who identified herself only as Kimber P. of Laguna Niguel said, addressing the elected officials during the public comment portion of the meeting. "You have the almighty power to lift this fake state of emergency once again that you guys are putting us in."

Iowa numbers and news today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 3,563 new "confirmed" cases for a total of 190,583 of which 109,929 are recovering (+1,755). 33 more were reported to have passed for a total of 2,024. There are 81,000 active positive cases and 41% positivity rate in the last 24 hrs. 215 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 1,510 (new daily record +118). Here are the daily age group increases (numbers all match): 0-17: 18,205 (+399); 18-40: 81,845 (+1,310); 41-60: 54,124 (+1,028); 61-80: 28,395 (+606); and 81+: 7,970 (+220)
Nov. 17: Total deaths surpass 2,000, hospitalizations over 1,500
Iowa COVID-19 Information Daily case totals updated at 11:00 a.m.
Iowa COVID-19 Information Current hospital data
UPDATE: Sen. Chuck Grassley tests positive for COVID-19
State Football Championship Game Restrictions New restrictions due to Iowa's new mitigation efforts announced last night.
Waterloo, Cedar Falls schools to go online for 5 days
Reynolds explains change of heart on mask mandate
Task force: Iowa’s virus spread is 'exponential and unyielding'
Reynolds asks Iowans to prevent virus spread
No fans allowed at Iowa State game due to virus surge
ETA: Iowa keeps secret data on hospital resources

Last edited:
Too soon to know ......

The news about Moderna's vaccine is really encouraging. Especially since it appears it can be kept stable at a more forgiving temp than Pfizer's. This is great!!! Having more than one vaccine to choose from in terms of efficacy. Increases our odds of getting this under control globally.

My biggest concern is if the vaccine is safe for people with pre-existing conditions. Such as cancer patients, recovered cancer patients, people with autoimmune disorders, heart conditions, diabetics, etc. How healthy must you be for the vaccine to not harm you?

wow that's something I hadn't considered

So ... my niece just told me that one of her sons school just went into quarantine. Which means this son has two weeks isolation at home. As well, his whole household must quarantine at home - my niece, the other son as well. No work for them for two weeks either.

You guys are so smart, and a role model, as you effectively concentrate on and mitigate small numbers. Keep it up. You see what can happen when you don’t. I also think it’s important for the United States to see how it should be done.

Another thing I have heard a lot about wrt to vaccines from the WHO Conferences, etc., is the consideration of how does/will a vaccine affect certain age groups. In other words, this may not work congruently across the board, and these age factors are also a part of the research.

Compare.
This is what we do in the US.

OC pandemic: Angry residents speak out at Board of Supervisors meeting, demand that COVID closures be lifted
"We the people, we're battered and bruised," a woman who identified herself only as Kimber P. of Laguna Niguel said, addressing the elected officials during the public comment portion of the meeting. "You have the almighty power to lift this fake state of emergency once again that you guys are putting us in."

I think the award goes to the woman who claims her right not to wear a mask is like her right to not wear underwear :rolleyes:

June 29 / listen to these people, it’s beyond embarrassing, and other adjectives:

Last edited:
Nearly half of 83 people who attended Ohio wedding test positive for Covid-19 — NBC News

“A recent Ohio wedding attended by 83 people has become the latest super-spreader event amid a nationwide surge in Covid-19 after nearly half of them tested positive for coronavirus, the newlywed couple said.

Among the 32 people to contract the virus were the couple, Anthony and Mikayla Bishop, and three of their grandparents, two of whom visited the emergency room, the Bishops said in an interview with NBC affiliate WLWT of Cincinnati.

“I didn't think that almost half of our wedding guests were gonna’ get sick,” Mikayla Bishop told the station. “You're in the moment. You're having fun. You don't think about COVID anymore.”

*Did Ohio have a limit restriction on indoor gatherings?

Local couple shares story after wedding becomes a 'super spreader' event

“My big moment honestly was right when the ceremony started and the doors opened and both my parents walked me down the aisle. The first thing I see is I see everyone's face. And that's when I realized wow. Nobody's wearing a mask," Mikayla Bishop said. "I'm walking down the aisle. We can't do anything now."

"When I saw everyone not wearing masks I was just like, 'Oh, well I guess we're just gonna kinda go with it I guess,'" Anthony Bishop said.”

We’re just gonna kinda go with it I guess?

Last edited:
Lol this cracks me up because every day there’s an opposing report on this (Exaggeration for effect). Last I heard, antibodies fade, sometimes rapidly, offering immunity somewhere between a couple months to a year, according to variable reports.

Thanks for the link, @MsArk and I look forward to reading it. :)

Keep in mind, this is what Dr. Campbell has been saying for quite some time as has Dr. Sehult. That the antibodies from B cells may wane, but the T killer cells from the original SARS are still there from 17 years ago. Myself, I want B cells/antibodies inactivating the virus vs. T cells killing my infected cells.

From link

"And the research squares with another recent finding: that survivors of SARS, caused by another coronavirus, still carry certain important immune cells 17 years after recovering.

The findings are consistent with encouraging evidence emerging from other labs. Researchers at the University of Washington, led by the immunologist Marion Pepper, had earlier shown that certain “memory” cells that were produced following infection with the coronavirus persist for at least three months in the body.

A study published last week also found that people who have recovered from Covid-19 have powerful and protective killer immune cells even when antibodies are not detectable."

Last edited:
Rare for Stanford to come out to debunk one of their own.......

But...he's not really Stanford. The presidential library of Herbert Hoover sits on Stanford land (Hoover Tower) and in it is a conservative think tank (Hoover Institute). The staff there do not teach classes at Stanford nor can they publish under the Stanford logo/imprint (and Stanford University Press has never accepted any of their publications for printing).

Scott Atlas no longer teaches at Stanford, but he was on the faculty from 1998-2012, so in that sense it’s wise for Stanford to distance themselves. But he got an even bigger smack-down from Stanford Medical School professors in an open letter to their colleagues in September.

September 9, 2020

Dear Colleagues,

“As infectious diseases physicians and researchers, microbiologist and immunologists, epidemiologists and health policy leaders, we stand united in efforts to develop and promote science-based solutions that advance human health and prevent suffering from the coronavirus pandemic. In this pursuit, we share a commitment to a basic principle derived from the Hippocratic Oath: Primum Non Nocere (First, Do No Harm).

To prevent harm to the public’s health, we also have both a moral and an ethical responsibility to call attention to the falsehoods and misrepresentations of science recently fostered by Dr. Scott Atlas, a former Stanford Medical School colleague and current senior fellow at the Hoover Institute at Stanford University. Many of his opinions and statements run counter to established science and, by doing so, undermine public-health authorities and the credible science that guides effective public health policy.

BBM

Continued at link and signed by 98 faculty members in relevant fields:
http://pids.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/open-letter-re-scott-atlas-final-20-09-09.pdf

https://pids.org/2020/10/08/open-letter-from-stanford-university-regarding-dr-scott-atlas/

Nearly half of 83 people who attended Ohio wedding test positive for Covid-19 — NBC News

“A recent Ohio wedding attended by 83 people has become the latest super-spreader event amid a nationwide surge in Covid-19 after nearly half of them tested positive for coronavirus, the newlywed couple said.

“I didn't think that almost half of our wedding guests were gonna’ get sick,” Mikayla Bishop told the station. “You're in the moment. You're having fun. You don't think about COVID anymore.”

Local couple shares story after wedding becomes a 'super spreader' event

“My big moment honestly was right when the ceremony started and the doors opened and both my parents walked me down the aisle. The first thing I see is I see everyone's face. And that's when I realized wow. Nobody's wearing a mask," Mikayla Bishop said. "I'm walking down the aisle. We can't do anything now."

"When I saw everyone not wearing masks I was just like, 'Oh, well I guess we're just gonna kinda go with it I guess,'" Anthony Bishop said.”

We’re just gonna kinda go with it I guess?
Sorry, but just three words to describe them.
Selfish. Selfish. Selfish.

Keep in mind, this is what Dr. Campbell has been saying for quite some time as has Dr. Sehult. That the antibodies from B cells may wane, but the T killer cells from the original SARS are still there from 17 years ago.

From link

"And the research squares with another recent finding: that survivors of SARS, caused by another coronavirus, still carry certain important immune cells 17 years after recovering.

The findings are consistent with encouraging evidence emerging from other labs. Researchers at the University of Washington, led by the immunologist Marion Pepper, had earlier shown that certain “memory” cells that were produced following infection with the coronavirus persist for at least three months in the body.

A study published last week also found that people who have recovered from Covid-19 have powerful and protective killer immune cells even when antibodies are not detectable."

That’s right...I do recall you posting that. :)

I was watching this, and didn't realize Johns Hopkins site had this tracker that does positivity rates.

Check out South Dakota, 60% positivity rate!
Daily Testing Trends in South Dakota - Johns Hopkins

At the beginning, he reviews countries that have recently done more mitigations and closures, and indeed the rates are down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member