Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m trying to figure out when the Thanksgiving surge will happen.
People who flew out Sunday could start feeling it this week, but will probably tough it out until they get home, rather than get tested and have to quarantine in place and not travel. So they could infect family and fellow fliers and feel pretty sick the first week of December.

The ones who caught it from family on Thanksgiving probably won’t feel much until they get home. But they too can infect whoever they contact while flying.
Some of these will be asymptomatic and never get sick or get it mildly and spread it.

The ones who get really sick will probably start to need hospitalizations about Dec. 7, except for granny who needed to be hospitalized a week after her grandkids visited.

So keep an eye on the week of Dec. 7, worsening the following two weeks. And this is just for the travelers. I didn’t even factor in those who stayed home but had larger groups than allowed in for dinner. December is looking really ugly.

All of this could have been prevented if people had cooperated and stayed home. But that’s no fun. :mad:
JMO

Fun at any cost- and the cost will be steep!!

yeah but you're wayyyyyy smarter than me :p

Lol...I don’t know about that, but seriously, like @mickey2942 said, how many of us were using terms like “pandemic” and “quarantine” before all this?

Again, the learning curve has been immense. I think I’ve learned more this year than in my entire college career, al though I did learn to do a keg stand and smoke weed out of a toilet paper roll in college which is pretty impressive...

Kudos to all for hanging here and learning...what a year...

I think I want to sit the next year out and just hit here and go “duh...”

Yesterday my husband got his first turn to visit his Mom in the home. Today it has changed so we can visit as the Dr. said she is soon leaving. Tomorrow will be my first visit by her side instead of the window. I don't know how to feel, even angry at times of how this sickness is not waking people up in their thinking. My husband works late tonight so at least my dogs are there for me. Of course in my bed, although one with longer fur gets too warm after a bit. He seems to cling closer sensing I need him.

I think our infection numbers will rise dramatically to terrifying numbers by the week of Dec 7 like @Lilibet mentioned earlier. I pray we don't run out of hospital beds and have enough doctors and nurses available. There won't be any merry Christmas here. I'm sorry for being pessimistic.
Geez, the week of Dec. 7 is when my flu shot becomes effective one thing going good.

The Governor of North Dakota apparently wants to kill as many of his citizens as possible. What is he thinking? it's Doug B., right?

Giving people Covid or giving them a higher viral load after they've shown up for treatment is...stupid. Really bad.

10% of North Dakotans have had or have COVID. Rates are slowing, however (so...this is like Sweden - it gets really bad, people slow their level of contact, etc). 11% are actively transmitting COVID (so most cases are recent).

Apparently, some people have to die or get super sick for other people to modify their behavior. Who knew.
Wed, November 25, 2020, 7:34 PM EST

COVID-19 infections are soaring. Lockdowns could be coming. A list of restrictions in your state.

As COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths continue to rise nationwide, some states are halting phased reopening plans or imposing new coronavirus-related restrictions.

Several are putting limits on social gatherings, adding states to travel quarantine lists, mandating face masks and encouraging residents to stay home, as many did in the spring. Others are restricting business hours of operation and limiting restaurant capacity.

Thirty-seven states – plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico – now require people to wear face coverings in public statewide, according to a list maintained by AARP. Iowa, Utah, North Dakota and New Hampshire joined the list in recent days.

At least 17 states implemented new statewide measures in the past week, including: California, Colorado, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Wyoming.

Is your state reimplementing COVID-19 restrictions? See the list below.

North Dakota
COVID in the Dakotas: A look at how coronavirus is 'as bad as it gets'

Republican Gov. Doug Burgum on Nov. 13 mandated the wearing of masks in businesses and indoor spaces in their states, following increased pressure from doctors, nurses and other health care professionals.

The directive goes into effect Nov. 14 and will last until Dec. 13. Burgum said in a statement that doctors and nurses "need our help, and they need it now." Burgum also directed all bars and restaurants to limit capacity to 50%, and closed all in-person service between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. Large-scale venues are limited to 25% capacity.

Meanwhile, Burgum recently supported a move to allow health care workers who have tested positive for the coronavirus but don’t have symptoms to remain on the job, in an effort to ease stress both on hospitals and medical personnel. Burgum says hospital administrators asked for the action and interim State Health Officer Dirk Wilke amended an order to allow it to take effect.

Last edited:
Iowa numbers today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 3,365 new "confirmed" cases for a total of 218,947 confirmed cases of which 122,047 are recovering (+2,362). 47 more had passed away for a total of 2,271 (IMO this is the most reported at one time). There are 94,629 active positive cases with a 24 hr. positivity rate of 39.3% according to KWWL. There were 165 hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 1,305 (-46). Here are the daily age group increases: 0-17: 21,537 (+379); 18-40: 92,188 (+1,231); 41-60: 62,402 (+940); 61-80: 33,412 (+610) and 81+: 9,352 (+205). Nov. 25: Iowa reports 3,365 new cases, 47 more deaths
access Case totals updated at 11:00 a.m.
Hospitalization Analysis Current hospital data

ESPN: Serving sports fans. Anytime. Anywhere.
I realize that it's the least important COVID story of the week, but I'm soooooo annoyed that tomorrow night's Steelers-Ravens game was postponed. If we're gonna limit our family get togethers, at least give me some football to watch!!

I hear ya! this damn virus has taken out little pleasures away!!!

Colorado:

Businesses from Loveland to Castle Rock push back against Level Red COVID restrictions | 9news.com

Businesses in Larimer County have banded together to oppose Colorado's Level Red COVID rules, as Castle Rock gives business room to vent their frustrations.

Colorado order allows hospitals to stop admitting, transfer patients when at capacity due to COVID-19

“Colorado Gov. Jared Polis (D) signed an executive order on Monday that allows hospitals to stop admitting new patients when they reach capacity and transfer patients to other hospitals.

The executive order permits the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment to direct at-capacity hospitals to transfer patients to other facilities, without first obtaining written permission from the patient.

“Unfortunately, given the increase in infections, the number of persons seeking medical treatment at hospitals may far exceed the capacity of any given hospital,” the order reads.”

—-

COVID outbreaks at Colorado offices, grocery stores, restaurants | 9news.com

“DENVER — An additional 167 active COVID-19 outbreaks have been reported to the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) since last week, with new cases reported everywhere from grocery stores to restaurants to jails to indoor offices.

There are now 1,123 active outbreaks of the disease caused by the novel coronavirus in Colorado. An additional 963 are listed as resolved, according to Wednesday’s data.

COVID-19 hospitalizations, positivity and cases have surged in Colorado in recent weeks, prompting new restrictions in many counties -- including the closure of indoor dining at restaurants.”

[...]

“The largest outbreaks in the state have been tied to universities. More than 2,000 students at CU Boulder have tested positive for COVID-19 as well as nearly 1,300 at Colorado State University in Fort Collins.”

Additionally, per the above article:

*195 active COVID-19 outbreaks at Colorado schools
(268 positive tests among staff and 608 among students)
No deaths have been died to outbreaks at K-12 schools

* 90 active COVID-19 outbreaks at restaurants
(372 positive cases of the virus among staff, 15 among attendees)

* 26 outbreaks tied to grocery stores
(165 grocery store workers have tested positive)

* 5,572 positive inmate cases and 800 staff cases of COVID-19 tied to prisons and jails, 8 inmates have died

* 48 active COVID-19 outbreaks at retailers in Colorado
(nearly 300 employee cases)

* 433 confirmed cases associated with outbreaks at offices/indoor workspaces, in addition to 233 probable cases among staff

Yesterday my husband got his first turn to visit his Mom in the home. Today it has changed so we can visit as the Dr. said she is soon leaving. Tomorrow will be my first visit by her side instead of the window. I don't know how to feel, even angry at times of how this sickness is not waking people up in their thinking. My husband works late tonight so at least my dogs are there for me. Of course in my bed, although one with longer fur gets too warm after a bit. He seems to cling closer sensing I need him.

Yes IJH
our fury friends have no idea of covid but their companionship is a such a blessing.

My state is making changes to its incoming traveller quarantine system.
Stop putting positive travellers into medi hotels, and start quarantining them in a refurbished old hospital. To keep them away from the other quarantined travellers (even though they are all supposed to do that themselves anyway - stay in their hotel rooms).

All staff working at this new location for positive travellers (and all positive others) must only work at this new location, no other places.
And the security will be provided by the police.

Earlier on Wednesday, the premier, Steven Marshall, said anyone who tested positive, including returned travellers, would be moved to a dedicated health facility.
All security at that facility will be provided by police and staff will not be allowed to work at other high-risk locations, including prisons and aged care centres.

As an added security measure, Marshall will ask national cabinet to consider testing all Australians returning from overseas before they are allowed to board their flights.
“What we must do is put as many shields as possible between the virus and the community.”

South Australia confirms new Covid case after announcing hotel quarantine reforms

Speaking of hospitals and hotels, my friend who is on the front lines says they are getting slammed at her hospital, that it is already “5 times worse than the spring”. She took two hours to cry and vent on the phone about what she is seeing and experiencing at her hospital, staffing shortages, etc...she says she comes into work to “dirty rooms”...this is a first world beautiful hospital! She also said that her hospital wouldn’t even help get her tested because they would rather she work...she expressed her frustration and feeling of being kicked in the face by some of her fellow citizens who choose to travel during Thanksgiving and said she thinks they should “help carry the bodies out”. She has one mask they sanitize that they use all week.

There is new hotel near the hospital, and she said she thinks they need to make that into a “makeshift hospital“...and that the healthcare system is going to take a toll for “at leeeeeast several months”, that this isn’t going away, and it’s getting worse and worse. Etc etc, jmo moo. She also said she has a young patient in there with no known underlying conditions on a ventilator.

Colorado:

Businesses from Loveland to Castle Rock push back against Level Red COVID restrictions | 9news.com

Businesses in Larimer County have banded together to oppose Colorado's Level Red COVID rules, as Castle Rock gives business room to vent their frustrations.

Colorado order allows hospitals to stop admitting, transfer patients when at capacity due to COVID-19

“Colorado Gov. Jared Polis (D) signed an executive order on Monday that allows hospitals to stop admitting new patients when they reach capacity and transfer patients to other hospitals.

The executive order permits the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment to direct at-capacity hospitals to transfer patients to other facilities, without first obtaining written permission from the patient.

“Unfortunately, given the increase in infections, the number of persons seeking medical treatment at hospitals may far exceed the capacity of any given hospital,” the order reads.”

—-

COVID outbreaks at Colorado offices, grocery stores, restaurants | 9news.com

“DENVER — An additional 167 active COVID-19 outbreaks have been reported to the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) since last week, with new cases reported everywhere from grocery stores to restaurants to jails to indoor offices.

There are now 1,123 active outbreaks of the disease caused by the novel coronavirus in Colorado. An additional 963 are listed as resolved, according to Wednesday’s data.

COVID-19 hospitalizations, positivity and cases have surged in Colorado in recent weeks, prompting new restrictions in many counties -- including the closure of indoor dining at restaurants.”

[...]

“The largest outbreaks in the state have been tied to universities. More than 2,000 students at CU Boulder have tested positive for COVID-19 as well as nearly 1,300 at Colorado State University in Fort Collins.”

Additionally, per the above article:

*195 active COVID-19 outbreaks at Colorado schools
(268 positive tests among staff and 608 among students)
No deaths have been died to outbreaks at K-12 schools

* 90 active COVID-19 outbreaks at restaurants
(372 positive cases of the virus among staff, 15 among attendees)

* 26 outbreaks tied to grocery stores
(165 grocery store workers have tested positive)

* 5,572 positive inmate cases and 800 staff cases of COVID-19 tied to prisons and jails, 8 inmates have died

* 48 active COVID-19 outbreaks at retailers in Colorado
(nearly 300 employee cases)

* 433 confirmed cases associated with outbreaks at offices/indoor workspaces, in addition to 233 probable cases among staff
:eek:

Hours after asking residents to stay home, Denver mayor flies out of state for Thanksgiving holiday

Denver Mayor Hancock flies to Mississippi for Thanksgiving, despite public health recommendations

I really do think that the powers that be need to start differentiating virus positive from the disease? Sooner than later MOO. Or, is it unnecessary? dunno

For a long time, AIDs was AIDS which applied to all with the virus and/or the disease. And now we all (well, that may be hoping for too much but iykwim-most here would differentiate) as a society accept and know the difference between HIV positive and AIDS disease.

Not really the same comparison perhaps... but just some type of common usage to differentiate positive tests from the diesease?

If you recall, way back in COVID history, when people were quarantined on the ship in Japan, to be released, they wanted them to have 2 negative tests several days apart. The virus leads to different virus levels in different people over time and there is also the chance that your test does not come at your most viral moment- remember some infected people would feel better and then get worse? Or some people would have recurrent fevers and would feel better only to relapse. Then there are the outliers:

A woman with COVID-19 in Washington state shed infectious virus particles for 70 days, meaning she was contagious during that entire time, despite never showing symptoms of the disease, according to a new report.Nov 5, 2020

Woman with COVID-19 sheds infectious virus for a record 70 ...

She is immunocompromised, so you might expect her to get really sick, but no, she just sheds virus for months- never really getting sick, but not clearing the virus from her system either. All the tests are just such a small window on the state of a person's health that they leave a lot undiscovered.

I was listening to a traveler being interviewed on the radio today- she said that she was just tested, so she feels OK about visiting her elderly parents. Of course after she has been on a plane and a train, what does the recent test mean? The world leaders get a test every day and they still have had outbreaks because the test you have at 8 a.m. does not show what is going on in your body at 12 noon, IMO. What are we going to have- a continuous read out COVID monitor like a glucose monitor, that will alarm when it gets a positive result? Then you can quick go quarantine.

(bolded by me)

"Absolutely fantastic news," said Phoenix City Council member Sal DiCiccio in a tweet. "The 800 kid soccer tournament will still be held in Phoenix this coming weekend. They are coming here because they had been banned everywhere else and we have amazing facilities. We welcome you and your families to our great city!"

CNN: Hundreds of kids and their families are headed to Arizona for a soccer tournament with 500 teams.
Hundreds of kids and their families are headed to Arizona for a soccer tournament with 500 teams - CNN

Speaking of hospitals and hotels, my friend who is on the front lines says they are getting slammed at her hospital, that it is already “5 times worse than the spring”. She took two hours to cry and vent on the phone about what she is seeing and experiencing at her hospital, staffing shortages, etc...she says she comes into work to “dirty rooms”...this is a first world beautiful hospital! She also said that her hospital wouldn’t even help get her tested because they would rather she work...she expressed her frustration and feeling of being kicked in the face by some of her fellow citizens who choose to travel during Thanksgiving and said she thinks they should “help carry the bodies out”. She has one mask they sanitize that they use all week.

There is new hotel near the hospital, and she said she thinks they need to make that into a “makeshift hospital“...and that the healthcare system is going to take a toll for “at leeeeeast several months”, that this isn’t going away, and it’s getting worse and worse. Etc etc, jmo moo. She also said she has a young patient in there with no known underlying conditions on a ventilator.

found this article (which comes with disclaimers) about cleaning N95 masks: N95 Respirator Cleaning and Reuse Methods Proposed by the Inventor of the N95 Mask Material

It is advice from the original N95 designer.

Wed, November 25, 2020, 7:34 PM EST

COVID-19 infections are soaring. Lockdowns could be coming. A list of restrictions in your state.

As COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths continue to rise nationwide, some states are halting phased reopening plans or imposing new coronavirus-related restrictions.

Several are putting limits on social gatherings, adding states to travel quarantine lists, mandating face masks and encouraging residents to stay home, as many did in the spring. Others are restricting business hours of operation and limiting restaurant capacity.

Thirty-seven states – plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico – now require people to wear face coverings in public statewide, according to a list maintained by AARP. Iowa, Utah, North Dakota and New Hampshire joined the list in recent days.

At least 17 states implemented new statewide measures in the past week, including: California, Colorado, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Wyoming.

Is your state reimplementing COVID-19 restrictions? See the list below.

North Dakota
COVID in the Dakotas: A look at how coronavirus is 'as bad as it gets'

Republican Gov. Doug Burgum on Nov. 13 mandated the wearing of masks in businesses and indoor spaces in their states, following increased pressure from doctors, nurses and other health care professionals.

The directive goes into effect Nov. 14 and will last until Dec. 13. Burgum said in a statement that doctors and nurses "need our help, and they need it now." Burgum also directed all bars and restaurants to limit capacity to 50%, and closed all in-person service between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. Large-scale venues are limited to 25% capacity.

Meanwhile, Burgum recently supported a move to allow health care workers who have tested positive for the coronavirus but don’t have symptoms to remain on the job, in an effort to ease stress both on hospitals and medical personnel. Burgum says hospital administrators asked for the action and interim State Health Officer Dirk Wilke amended an order to allow it to take effect.

Showing complete and utter misunderstanding of coronavirus. This is just so sad. Even if no one else in ND cares about the elderly, surely our society as a whole has a little compassion.

Hopefully the hospitals will prevail.

'Superspreader' 99th birthday party sees ALL 12 guests get COVID — Daily Mail

“The Goldsticker family thought that they were being careful; all either quarantining or taking COVID tests before they traveled to St Louis, Missouri last month.”

*I thought it should be quarantine and test?
Not either or?

“Everyone quarantined ahead of time. My brother and sister-in-law in San Francisco got tested before they got on an airplane.”

*So everyone quarantined and then either flew or drove to St Louis.

“We got very lucky. It's everywhere. You just don't know. So just be smart, be safe and stay healthy.”

**STAY HOME should be the message**

Last edited:
I just watched Richard Schiff from “West Wing” and “Good Doctor” interviewed by his friend Lawrence O’Donnell on MSNBC (he wrote for “West Wing.”) He said y0u do NOT want to get this virus!! He was hospitalized in Vancouver BC where he works, and spoke about a couple of days he wasn’t sure he would make it and that you don’t want to have that conversation with your spouse (that’s when I lost it!). He is still very weak. His wife had a milder case. He didn’t get it on the set and has been very careful elsewhere, but we know how sneaky it is (see article below). So he begged everyone to do everything in their power not to get it.

The clip from the show hasn’t been posted yet, but if you get a chance, watch it.

Earlier article:
His wife mentioned that they could have gotten it at the gym or from take-out. They don’t know.
Richard Schiff Hospitalized After Testing Positive for COVID-19, Wife Sheila Kelley Is 'Still Fairly Ill'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yappychappy