Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #90

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the fungus? (Just curious). There is a fungal like organism called Pythiosis, which can cause severe disease in horses and dogs, but it is us usually found in the South Eastern USA, and tropical/sub tropical areas of other countries.

I know that Idexx (vet lab company) were screening for Covid-19 earlier in the year, but I don't know if this is still true.
This is the fungal disease my dog had, blastomycosis

What is blastomycosis, and how does an animal get this disease?
Blastomycosis is a fungal disease caused by Blastomyces dermatitidis. This fungus most commonly infects humans and animals through the respiratory tract. When the fungal spores are inhaled, they settle in the small airways and begin to reproduce. The organism then spreads throughout the body and may infect other organs. Rarely, infection occurs through contamination

not surprised that it is something other than COVID... do the dogs have to ingest the fungus or can they just inhale spores? surprised because isn't the dirt in MN (a) covered with snow and (b) frozen now?
From what I read in MN Blastomycosis if I spelled it right, is around lakes, water and disturbed dirt by digging, plus dogs sniff. It can take over a month to show symptoms so that answers there being snow.

Wrt the UK variant, Alex Azar says on “The 11th Hour with Brian Williams” (linked here):

2:06: “The variant that’s being discussed was first identified in September...”

Last edited:
Pulse Oximeter Devices Have Higher Error Rate in Black Patients

Very interesting article: I hope you can read it- i went incognito to try and avoid the paywall. The article states that the pulse oximeter is not as accurate in blacks---they determined this by comparing using the pulse ox result as compared to drawing blood gasses: they were surprised to find almost a 12% difference- the pulse ox was not accurately reflecting blood oxygen.

Very interesting article: I hope you can read it- i went incognito to try and avoid the paywall. The article states that the pulse oximeter is not as accurate in blacks---they determined this by comparing using the pulse ox result as compared to drawing blood gasses: they were surprised to find almost a 12% difference- the pulse ox was not accurately reflecting blood oxygen.
I wonder why that is? This kind of thing intrigues me.

I worked with this doctor several times four years ago. A very sad story. She was a great doctor.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...e-dies-from-covid-19-at-indiana-hospital/amp/

Dr. Susan Moore, who claims she was mistreated, dies from COVID-19 at Indiana hospital

There may be an element of racism involved in the treatment she received, but I have read horror stories about white people who were treated like crap: sent home with symptoms and they died at home.

Covid Antibody Drugs Go Unused as Need Soars

Really interesting article about why antibody treatments ( like Regeneron) are not being used enough. I was wondering about that. After this type of drug was used on Trump and others, who seemed to benefit greatly from this drug, it didn't seem to me this type of treatment was being utilized enough.

There may be an element of racism involved in the treatment she received, but I have read horror stories about white people who were treated like crap: sent home with symptoms and they died at home.
Agreed. And I am not necessarily confirming there was racism involved in her case, I don’t know one way or the other. Just sad that she died from COVID, no matter what the circumstances.

Couple kicked off United flight take next trip without child to avoid mask incident — Insider

“On December 17, Orban shared an Instagram photo at Denver International Airport by the Delta departures terminal. In the caption, the 26-year-old health coach said she and her husband were flying to Palm Beach, Florida, this time without their daughter because of the earlier incident.

"It breaks our heart that we couldn't bring our daughter, we tried calling the airlines and couldn't get a straight answer from anyone and we could honestly just not go through again what we went through on Friday," the caption said.”
————
That’s a bald face lie about not getting a straight answer. I have personally been on American, Delta, Southwest and United - their websites are clear on masks.

The questions at check in are very clear and specific.

What is so important in Palm Beach that you had to go and leave your child behind?!?

this is devastating

Most of the 16 infected residents Dr. Mathew cared for on Sunday were weak from illness and a lack of food and water. Not enough staff were available to sit with sick patients to help them eat and drink, she said. Six had to have fluids delivered under the skin to keep them hydrated.

Urgent plea for doctors goes out at Toronto-area nursing home hit by COVID-19

Couple kicked off United flight take next trip without child to avoid mask incident — Insider

“On December 17, Orban shared an Instagram photo at Denver International Airport by the Delta departures terminal. In the caption, the 26-year-old health coach said she and her husband were flying to Palm Beach, Florida, this time without their daughter because of the earlier incident.

"It breaks our heart that we couldn't bring our daughter, we tried calling the airlines and couldn't get a straight answer from anyone and we could honestly just not go through again what we went through on Friday," the caption said.”
————
That’s a bald face lie about not getting a straight answer. I have personally been on American, Delta, Southwest and United - their websites are clear on masks.

The questions at check in are very clear and specific.

What is so important in Palm Beach that you had to go and leave your child behind?!?
Good grief, I have no other comment for those parents

ug.... pretty stupid. our work ID camera used to take terrible photos of darker skinned people because it was auto-calibrated for light skin.... some of the cameras on the early self-driving cars were missing dark skinned pedestrians.

usa.streetsblog.org › 2020/06/17 › study-avs-may-not-...
Jun 17, 2020 — Driverless cars are worse at detecting darker skin pigments, meaning that autonomous vehicles might not solve the already disproportionate pedestrian death toll faced by black communities, according to a new study.
Missing: misses ‎| Must include: misses

Self-Driving Cars May Hit People With Darker Skin More Often ...
tech.slashdot.org › story › self-driving-cars-may-hit-pe...

Mar 6, 2019 — Self-Driving Cars May Hit People With Darker Skin More Often, Study Finds ... self-driving cars: start including more images of dark-skinned pedestrians in the data ... I knew something was missing from this exercise [mit.edu].

Last edited:

this educated law blogger was sent home I think more than once, wound up on a ventilator and then recovered:

'Above the Law' blogger David Lat on ventilator with coronavirus
nypost.com › 2020/03/22 › above-the-law-blog-founde...

Mar 22, 2020 — David Lat in the hospital after testing positive for coronavirus ... Lat, 44, founder of the legal blog Above the Law, has been put on a ventilator and ... Lat said he went to the emergency room but was sent home — only to return ...

Good grief, I have no other comment for those parents

I guess it could be a legitimate question whether "over 2" means 3 yrs old, or whether it means one minute after your second birthday. The article about their NY trip discusses that. (Something I have noticed during COVID is that most adults have limited their talking, shouting and singing, but small children, in their acquiring speech phase, talk a lot, IMHO.) They, were, BTW, as per that article, going to NYC to see the tree at Rockefeller Center. This country, IMHO, is so weird- half of the country is hiding in a bunker and the other half is flying some where every week for recreation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine