Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #92

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Press secy just ended... up next in 10 minutes is....

Following Psaki’s briefing, the White House COVID-19 Response Team is scheduled to hold a press briefing to discuss the federal government’s pandemic response at 11 a.m. ET. Participants include Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and chief medical adviser to the president; Dr. Marcella Nunez-Smith, COVID-19 Health Equity Task Force chair; Andy Slavitt, senior adviser to the White House COVID-19 Response Team; and Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Live now filled with commentaries on the earlier presser... 10 minutes to start planned.

They have promised to do THREE a week now with the WH COVID-19 response team...

ETA: In presser said 48 million doses delivered, 26 million administered. Close to numbers tracked in Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

He said info will be posted weekly online the information that used to not be available. (He didn't give link.. perhaps later)

Last edited:
Presser just asked my question!

Re 80% herd needs to have children to meet such.

Safety 2a trial is only needed per Fauci that is reflective trial, and can bridge from 30k Moderna and 44 k Pfizer. We'll be doing that by late spring and summer.

---------------------------------------

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Slavitt didn't answer a question/pass to Fauci re actionable plans re variants with vaccine manufacturers and what their plan was (or purchase contract to demand they pivot such for the purchases we have - that SHOULD have been in contract by US and countries, but may not have???).

I did NOT like that "non"answer by Andy Slavitt!!!

Last edited:
JNJ Shares Tumble After Reporting Vaccine Effectiveness | ZeroHedge
Johnson & Johnson, the biggest pharmaceutical company in the world, has just released the first round of results from its Phase 3 COVID-19 vaccine trials, and they are disappointing.

They showed that the vaccine is only 66% effective at preventing moderate and severe COVID-19 (and that's excluding mild cases of the virus), which is less than Moderna, Pfizer, AstraZeneca and others in the west.

Johnson & Johnson, the biggest pharmaceutical company in the world, has just released the first round of results from its Phase 3 COVID-19 vaccine trials, and they are disappointing.

They showed that the vaccine is only 66% effective at preventing moderate and severe COVID-19 (and that's excluding mild cases of the virus), which is less than Moderna, Pfizer, AstraZeneca and others in the west.

It is becoming clear that mRNA vaccines, which are so very targeted, are the clear two winners with the new technology NEW to the world for vaccines utilizing technology which was created for something else!

Expensive, indeed... but the technology can be positioned for SO SO many diseases MOO. At this time $$$$, but perhaps the high price they are getting for their coffers can be reinvested (Keep in mind, Moderna and Pfizer did not do at cost to the governments, they did a profit.... whereas IIRC AstraZeneca and J&J said they would do for the world at their low cost for the pandemic phase.. someone correct If I am wrong)

As was said many times upthread, this is like the moon shot.... new technology that was waiting for its chance to shine, and came out only to be recognized and funded with a catastrophe (as much did with moon shot and AIDS)

MOO

Update....12 hours post shot #2 at 8pm last night. I was not feeling well at all. Fever ( 101), terrible body aches, teeth rattling shivers, headache. I slept terribly. About 4 am I ended up taking Tylenol and felt much better rather quickly. This morning I am feeling tired and achy but ok. All this said, I am thinking positive. I am building up a robust immune response, I hope! I should have taken the Tylenol sooner, maybe. I am so glad I have today off work.

FYI, it was the Pfizer vaccine that I received.

As I was waiting in the 15 mt. holding area this was the first article that popped up on my newsfeed. :eek:

BUT so glad hearing back from you. Because now I better understand how the immune system is "doing what it should" with some of the symptomatic response. !!

Bamlanivimab Notes

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Authorizes Monoclonal Antibody for Treatment of COVID-19
Nov. 02, 2020

“Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued an emergency use authorization (EUA) for the investigational monoclonal antibody therapy bamlanivimab for the treatment of mild-to-moderate COVID-19 in adult and pediatric patients. Bamlanivimab is authorized for patients with positive results of direct SARS-CoV-2 viral testing who are 12 years of age and older weighing at least 40 kilograms (about 88 pounds), and who are at high risk for progressing to severe COVID-19 and/or hospitalization. This includes those who are 65 years of age or older, or who have certain chronic medical conditions.

While the safety and effectiveness of this investigational therapy continues to be evaluated, bamlanivimab was shown in clinical trials to reduce COVID-19-related hospitalization or emergency room visits in patients at high risk for disease progression within 28 days after treatment when compared to placebo.“

Fact Sheet for Patients, Parents and Caregivers
Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of Bamlanivimab for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

https://www.fda.gov/media/143604/download

Jan. 21, 2020
Lilly's neutralizing antibody bamlanivimab (LY-CoV555) prevented COVID-19 at nursing homes in the BLAZE-2 trial, reducing risk by up to 80 percent for residents | Eli Lilly and Company

New data show treatment with Lilly's neutralizing antibodies bamlanivimab (LY-CoV555) and etesevimab (LY-CoV016) together reduced risk of COVID-19 hospitalizations and death by 70 percent

CIDRAP / Jan. 21, 2020
Combo monoclonal antibody drugs may lower coronavirus loads

This COVID-19 treatment may cut hospitalizations by 70%

Eli Lilly released results of a late-stage study on Tuesday, showing that its cocktail — named bamlanivimab — combined with the monoclonal antibody called etesevimab can cut hospitalizations for high-risk COVID-19 patients.
  • Per USA Today, the drug “mimics one of the natural antibodies the immune system uses to fight off the virus.”
The study said 10% of patients who receive a placebo went to the hospital. Meanwhile 2% of those who received the full cocktail had to go the hospital, according to USA Today. That’s a 70% drop.
  • The patients involved in the study were diagnosed with COVID-19 four days before they were treated with the drug, according to USA Today.
  • None of the 518 patients who received the cocktail died from COVID-19. Eight people who took the placebo did die.”

Monoclonal Antibody Treatment: Frequently Asked Questions: COVID-19 - Minnesota Dept. of Health

“Antibody treatment can be used by people with mild to moderate COVID-19 who:
  • Test positive for SARS-CoV-2.
  • Are within 10 days of the start of their symptoms.
  • Are age 12 or older and weigh at least 88 pounds.
  • Are at high risk of getting very sick from COVID-19 or of needing to be admitted to a hospital because of COVID-19.“
[...]

“Clinical trials for bamlanivimab and for casirivimab/imdevimab have shown a decrease in hospitalizations and emergency room visits and a decrease in the amount of virus in an infected person's blood. Studies are still ongoing.”

[...]

Who is considered at high risk?
High risk for progressing to severe COVID-19 and/or hospitalization is defined as patients who meet at least one of the following criteria:
  • Have a body mass index (BMI) greater than 35.
  • Have chronic kidney disease.
  • Have diabetes.
  • Have immunosuppressive disease.
  • Are currently receiving immunosuppressive treatment.
  • Are 65 years of age or older.
  • Are 55 years of age or older AND have one or more of the following:
    • Cardiovascular disease.
    • Hypertension.
    • Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease/other chronic respiratory disease.
  • Are 12-17 years of age AND have one or more of the following:
    • Body mass index greater than 85th percentile for their age and gender, based on CDC: Clinical Growth Charts.
    • Sickle cell disease.
    • Congenital or acquired heart disease.
    • Neurodevelopmental disorders, for example, cerebral palsy.
    • A medical-related technological dependence; for example, tracheostomy, gastrostomy, or positive pressure ventilation (not related to COVID-19).
    • Asthma, reactive airway, or other chronic respiratory disease that requires daily medication for control.
Screening Tool for Monoclonal Antibody Treatment (PDF)

Last edited:
Presser begins discussions of J&J vaccine, and how it will go to FDA now. And experts from COVID TEAM is coming next.. LIVE NOW

Question to anyone here: Is there ONE youtube for WH pressers that one can subscribe to that you know of (without signing up to news shows.. EGADS, sorry lol that my link is to one media outlet.... it was the one that came up first)

I just love how again and again and again, she doesn't answer some questions and says we'll defer to our medical experts (who will be on the dais in about 40 minutes after her)

And she was asked about Cuomo nursing home media report.. again, she says that is under the Department of Justice. etc.

And she was asked about GameStop issue.. she pushed back to SEC is who is the one to oversee and has put out statement and to see them.

I think I'll stay off twitter and chaos etc for a while and just focus on daily pressers.

Such a breath of fresh air.

BBM--You said it!! She is great!

The text of her press briefings are here: Press Briefings Archives | The White House

It is becoming clear that mRNA vaccines, which are so very targeted, are the clear two winners with the new technology NEW to the world for vaccines utilizing technology which was created for something else!

Expensive, indeed... but the technology can be positioned for SO SO many diseases MOO. At this time $$$$, but perhaps the high price they are getting for their coffers can be reinvested (Keep in mind, Moderna and Pfizer did not do at cost to the governments, they did a profit.... whereas IIRC AstraZeneca and J&J said they would do for the world at their low cost for the pandemic phase.. someone correct If I am wrong)

As was said many times upthread, this is like the moon shot.... new technology that was waiting for its chance to shine, and came out only to be recognized and funded with a catastrophe (as much did with moon shot and AIDS)

MOO

You put it so well. I hope we all get two doses of Pfizer and/or Moderna (it seems to work equally well if one gets the second dose from the other vector - in fact, that's one reason the Sputnik vaccine is so effective).

You put it so well. I hope we all get two doses of Pfizer and/or Moderna (it seems to work equally well if one gets the second dose from the other vector - in fact, that's one reason the Sputnik vaccine is so effective).

Pfizer and Moderna are not vector vaccines, so I don't know that having one of each would be beneficial or not.
Astra-Zeneca (Chad-Ox), J&J and Sputnik are Adenovirus based viral vector vaccines.

I have heard it discussed (on TWIV), that *perhaps* the accidental half-dose, followed by full-dose AZ group showed better efficacy than the full-full group because there *could* have been less chance of immune interference to the Adenovirus, thus allowing/promoting a more robust response to the second, full booster dose. Of course, that group was smaller in number, and younger, which could also be factors.
(This is just my recollection of the discussion, not verbatim).
I don't know if AZ are doing a further, larger trial with the half-full dose, but it would be interesting (IMO) if they did. I've become even more interested in vaccines and immunology than ever before!

UPDATED Comparing COVID-19 Vaccines: Timelines, Types and Prices | BioSpace

'I have cried. I have begged. I have yelled': Couples clash over COVID-19
by Alia E. Dastagir USA TODAY
Patricia Rust is doing everything she can to stay safe during the pandemic. Her husband, however, is not.

Rust, 68, a retired attorney in Clarksville, Tennessee, is militant about mask-wearing and social distancing. But she says her 71-year-old husband believes COVID is no worse than the flu, often refuses to wear a mask and frequently socializes in large groups.

"We just had a fight the other night where I said, 'That's it, we're going to get divorced. I need to stay safe and you refuse to allow me to be safe or feel safe in my own home,'" Rust said. "I have pleaded. I have cried. I have begged. I have yelled. And he refuses to listen to anything I say."

Women take COVID-19 more seriously, and relationships are suffering

'I have cried. I have begged. I have yelled': Couples clash over COVID-19
by Alia E. Dastagir USA TODAY
Patricia Rust is doing everything she can to stay safe during the pandemic. Her husband, however, is not.

Rust, 68, a retired attorney in Clarksville, Tennessee, is militant about mask-wearing and social distancing. But she says her 71-year-old husband believes COVID is no worse than the flu, often refuses to wear a mask and frequently socializes in large groups.

"We just had a fight the other night where I said, 'That's it, we're going to get divorced. I need to stay safe and you refuse to allow me to be safe or feel safe in my own home,'" Rust said. "I have pleaded. I have cried. I have begged. I have yelled. And he refuses to listen to anything I say."

Women take COVID-19 more seriously, and relationships are suffering
I have seen this and it just beggars belief. When you try to reason with them that a half a million people do not die in a flu year, they just go on to the 'every death is counted as covid' lie.

While the results may be disappointing, I was listening to a radio chat in my car this morning ... they were saying there are still many ways to use the J&J vaccine. It is one dose, it can just be refrigerated, it still offers decent protection, which gives it qualities for vaccinating many places in the world. Especially with the current vaccine shortages - due to the high demand.

Eric Feigl-Ding @DrEricDing
·
3m
BREAKING—EU has backtracked on its decision to temporarily override part of the Brexit deal for #COVID19 vaccine exports. EU Commission said it would ensure the Northern Ireland Protocol is "unaffected". EU vaccine export backtracks on controls for NI.

EU vaccine export row: Bloc 'must clarify intentions' over NI move - PM

The EU has backtracked on its decision to temporarily override part of the Brexit deal amid an ongoing row over Covid vaccine supplies.

In a statement, the EU Commission said it would ensure the Northern Ireland Protocol is "unaffected". Boris Johnson had called on the bloc to "urgently clarify its intentions" over the move.
The EU had said it would trigger a clause to introduce export controls on vaccines to Northern Ireland. Under the Brexit deal, all products should be exported from the EU to NI without checks.

On Friday, the bloc invoked Article 16 of the Northern Ireland Protocol in a bid to prevent the region becoming a backdoor for EU vaccines to be sent to the wider UK.

What is this? Donate to a University your dumb kid gets in? Donate to a hospital and the selfish and greedy get vaccines?

Washington hospital apologizes after offering donors vaccine signup

“Dear Overlake major donors…” the email read. “We’re pleased to share that we have 500 new open appointments in the Overlake COVID-19 vaccine clinic, beginning this afternoon and tomorrow (Saturday, Jan. 23) and next week.”

The email gave the donors an access code to register for appointments “by invite” only. Last week, the public-facing Overlake registration site was fully booked through March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member