Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #92

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
High fives for at home haircuts! I got some hair shears from Amazon and they work fine. I have long hair and rarely get it done anyway because I'm too antsy to sit in a salon chair for too long and prefer to spend time doing my makeup rather than my hair. It's easy to just stick it in a ponytail and lop the ends off.

Here is what stupid and ignorant sounds like:

" I don't think it's as bad as they're saying"
"The whole thing with the coronavirus is political: i think Democrats are dug in
and unwilling to move on this"

These ignorant quotes are taken from a restaurant owner in Michigan whose restaurant remains open (and filled with unmasked customers) in contraindication to the Governor' orders. And, oh yes, some law enforcement officers do not like Governor Whitmer' s orders and give the finger to her (figuratively speaking of course), and refuse to issue violations to restaurants like this one.

(RSBM)

The fact that some people still think this whole pandemic was faked for one country's election season will never fail to astound me. Oh, and Washingtonians are doing that too...refusing to comply with the governors' orders and thinking it makes them tough :rolleyes:

High fives for at home haircuts! I got some hair shears from Amazon and they work fine. I have long hair and rarely get it done anyway because I'm too antsy to sit in a salon chair for too long and prefer to spend time doing my makeup rather than my hair. It's easy to just stick it in a ponytail and lop the ends off.

(RSBM)

The fact that some people still think this whole pandemic was faked for one country's election season will never fail to astound me. Oh, and Washingtonians are doing that too...refusing to comply with the governors' orders and thinking it makes them tough :rolleyes:

I guess they forgot this is a GLOBAL pandemic--- SMH

Home haircut here too. And Amazon shears. And the ponytail method. I even trust my husband to do it for me. Desperate times call for desperate measures! :D Besides, I never go anywhere anyway.

I guess they forgot this is a GLOBAL pandemic--- SMH

Some of us Americans seem to forget the world doesn't revolve around the US lol

Home haircut here too. And Amazon shears. And the ponytail method. I even trust my husband to do it for me. Desperate times call for desperate measures! :D Besides, I never go anywhere anyway.

Same! And I have enough hair that if I cut it a little wonky, no biggie, I can just even it out. I kind of want to get a home hair dye kit but that might be too far...

My hair hasn't been this long in over 25 years. But I'm not taking shears to it. I just pull it back and wind it up and put a clip in it every.single.day now.

Seems the virus has hit my neighborhood. Just learned a friend has it with all 4 in their family. (Just tested positive yesterday for 3, one had prior). I asked it she had a pulse oximeter. She didn't so I took a quick video of me using it and what the numbers meant and shared it through FB messenger. Then, off I went to drop that off for her family to monitor, but also made a daily symptom sheet for them to mark up as outlined by Dr. Campbell just this morning!

Queue to 5:30 for which to list these days, or scroll down below in his description area to cut/paste. I did an excel spreadsheet. Interesting video as new study shows how # of symptoms in 5 days etc relates to % that end up in hospital.

Loss of smell (anosmia) High temperature (fever) Persistent cough Severe tiredness (fatigue) Headache Abdominal pain Chest pain Sore throat Severe shortness of breath Skipping meals Muscle pains Hoarse voice New confusion (delirium) Diarrhoea Skin rash

Last edited:
Has there been any discussion as to whether a person’s secreter status plays a part in how sick a person w/COVID will get?

“Secreters” have antigens marking their ABO blood type in all body fluids, not just blood. An estimated 80% of people are secreters (not sure if that’s a us or global stat) and studies have indicated secreter status may affect likelihood of certain health conditions including a particular stomach flu, ulcers, IBS and perhaps diabetes.

I was watching Prime Suspect and they mentioned the perp was a “secreter” . I’ve heard the term before but never investigated what it meant until just now. Interesting stuff. Here’s a basic overview:

Understanding Genetics

ETA: This article suggests that while A blood types have increased risk of cardiovascular complications from COVID, People w/type A blood are less likely to have these complications if they are non-secreters. Good to know the scientific community is looking at this.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.19.20248172v1.full.pdf

I’m type A+ so now I’m curious about my own secreter status. Is there an easy way to tell?

This doesn't take about secreters, but it's a recent article about blood type and Covid:
Studies contradict earlier findings on blood group and COVID-19 severity, mortality

Studies contradict earlier findings on blood group and COVID-19 severity, mortality

"...two studies presented at the virtual ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition showed no significant association between blood group and COVID-19 severity.

“We found that ABO blood group and Rhesus factor were not associated with disease mortality, disease severity or use of mechanical ventilation,” Aula Ramo, MD, a resident in the department of internal medicine at Henry Ford Hospital, said in an interview with Healio. “We also looked at predictors of mortality in part of our study, and found that age over 65 years, Caucasian race and male gender were statistically significant predictors of mortality.”

"In another study presented at ASH, researchers at Rush University Medical Center sought to determine whether patients with COVID-19 and certain blood groups had a greater risk for thrombosis or higher rates of mortality." .......This study was limited by a small sample size.

More at link.

Some of us Americans seem to forget the world doesn't revolve around the US lol

Same! And I have enough hair that if I cut it a little wonky, no biggie, I can just even it out. I kind of want to get a home hair dye kit but that might be too far...
BBM. Me too. I have quite thick wavy hair and can just push it into place.

All it takes is one person making foolish choices. Hopefully they are able to get this under control.

Well, at least this person did not make any foolish choices. The state they live in has had no covid at all for 10 months, and very little prior to that. They have the strictest Premier in all of Australia, who has shielded them very well.

This is just an unfortunate turn of events where the person had no idea they were infected and was living normal life. No blame to go anywhere in this situation. He wasn't to know that the hotel's ventilation was not adequate enough for the UK variant. No-one knew that. Now they know.

Last edited:
A leading infectious disease expert predicted on Sunday that the deadlier British variant of Covid-19 will become the dominant strain of the virus in the US and could hit the country like a hurricane.

Epidemiologist Michael Osterholm ...... warned America to brace for the spread of the virulent strain this spring.

“The surge that is likely to occur with this new variant from England is going to happen in the next six to 14 weeks, Osterholm told NBC’s Meet the Press show on Sunday morning.

‘That hurricane is coming’: expert warns US to brace for virulent Covid strain

Vaccine sites around the Northeast will be closed Monday as a snowstorm hammers the region, creating blizzard conditions and prompting emergency declarations.

At a news conference on Sunday, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said he did not want older New Yorkers driving to vaccine appointments. Vaccinations scheduled for Tuesday in New York City have yet to be canceled, de Blasio said.

The snowstorm is set to derail vaccination appointments in at least six other states, as well, the New York Times reported: Connecticut, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Virginia.

COVID news: Vaccine sites in Northeast closed by snow; 441K US deaths

A leading infectious disease expert predicted on Sunday that the deadlier British variant of Covid-19 will become the dominant strain of the virus in the US and could hit the country like a hurricane.

Epidemiologist Michael Osterholm ...... warned America to brace for the spread of the virulent strain this spring.

“The surge that is likely to occur with this new variant from England is going to happen in the next six to 14 weeks, Osterholm told NBC’s Meet the Press show on Sunday morning.

‘That hurricane is coming’: expert warns US to brace for virulent Covid strain
The good news just keeps coming. Sigh.

The good news just keeps coming. Sigh.

Just lately I have been thinking about what that expert said way back early in the piece ... "it is not a matter of will people wear masks, it is just a matter of how bad it has to get before everyone will wear a mask".

The same likely applies for the vaccines. When will people all realise they need to be vaccinated. That this pandemic needs to be stopped.

Last edited:
Just lately I have been thinking about what that expert said way back early in the piece ... "it is not a matter of will people wear masks, it is just a matter of how bad it has to get before everyone will wear a mask".

The same likely applies for the vaccines. When will people all realise they need to be vaccinated. That this pandemic needs to be stopped.
It’s been bad and people aren’t wearing masks. It will get worse and they still won’t. Nor will they get vaccinated. JMO

This was a link within Dr. Campbell's last video I thought new, so posting here.

What's your risk of COVID hospitalisation?

"....team have found that counting up the number of symptoms experienced over the first five days of illness, along with sex and age, could be used to predict whether someone is likely to end up in needing oxygen support in hospital."

6009b0afe7d75a59018f466d_-qGj6Aiiozrhlpyle6MNymxRlmdtZR7_A5FXOK_CXDbDpYpU6fO5ASJ3w4tyLsheryIW0UkrCiZi-G5o0WUobVdwkst9jhlbtRDRBx9_DhbjaPWFePIWcLCrVQchOG0hKkVkoVFH.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stahoe